Colour Correcting Needed on MKVII Gas Mask Bag

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Colour Correcting Needed on MKVII Gas Mask Bag

Post by Dangerfreak »

I've just started gathering my collection of Indy gear after studying the website. My MkVII gas mask bag arrived today, but there's a slight problem. As many of you probably know, there can be quite a bit of variation in colour from one bag to the next, but even so, these shades are often described as Khaki regardless. Although my bag is in fine condition, it's rather green. Indy's is, of course, more 'sand' coloured. Has anybody got any tips on how I might successfully alter the colour to a more screen accurate shade.

Thanks in advance.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Colour Correcting Needed on MKVII Gas Mask Bag

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I've always fallen more into the 'green camp' myself when it came to Indy's bag.

Check through the screen grabs here. My eye sees a greener shade of bag.

http://movie-screencaps.com/raiders-lost-ark-1981/27/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Thanks for the help Indiana Jeff. Having reviewed those screen shots, I'm inclined to agree with you, the bag is greener than you might expect at first glance, especially when compared to the shade of Indy's shirt and trousers. The light, of course, effects the appearance of the bag. In direct sunlight it seems quite a faded green, but when Indy is in the more shaded alleys of Cairo, the 'greenness' stands out quite obviously. I guess that's why khaki made a good a camouflage. More importantly, I now have the answers if somebody asks 'Isn't your Indy bag a little green'?

Much obliged,

Dangerfreak.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Dangerfreak wrote:Thanks for the help Indiana Jeff. Having reviewed those screen shots, I'm inclined to agree with you, the bag is greener than you might expect at first glance, especially when compared to the shade of Indy's shirt and trousers. The light, of course, effects the appearance of the bag. In direct sunlight it seems quite a faded green, but when Indy is in the more shaded alleys of Cairo, the 'greenness' stands out quite obviously. I guess that's why khaki made a good a camouflage. More importantly, I now have the answers if somebody asks 'Isn't your Indy bag a little green'?

Much obliged,

Dangerfreak.
Just out of curiosity is your bag a new reproduction or original MK? :-k
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Apparently it's a WWII original. It seems to have authentic markings inside the cover. At the top between two horizontal lines is VII, below is the manufacturer's initials - H&S - in large letters followed by a small EC then large 1941. Below and separate to the other marks is the number 8 with the military arrow mark above it. The arrow symbol was a mark used on British military gear in both world wars. It's condition was classed as used, but virtually brand new. There are some very minor marks including what looks like faded biro on the inside of the cover. It's upside down as if written while the bag was being worn and reads F44. The material is still quite stiff as if new. There's also two lengths of old looking string. One tied to a small, outside loop near the base of the bag and tucked into a small pocket at the bottom of the left hand side panel (as viewed from the front), the second, much finer string, is tucked into a small internal pocket at the top of the rear-most inside pocket divider.

I'm more familiar with earlier military equipment, but British WWI small box respirator bags included a length of string that wrapped around below the ribs to hold the bag against the body as it hung from the neck. I'm assuming this means of fixing about the body was still used in WWII. If my purchase saw only slight use before going into storage away from light and damp, I guess the colour would remain as fresh as a daisy. Perhaps it's a lack of fading that makes it seem rather more green than I was expecting. I hope that answers your question.

Kind regards,

Dangerfreak
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Okay, thanks for the details, it makes more sense as to the coloring. If it were a reproduction there are a few methods to lighten the color but I wouldn't recommend it for an original. Post a few pictures if you can so we can get a look at it.
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Tennessee Smith wrote:Okay, thanks for the details, it makes more sense as to the coloring. If it were a reproduction there are a few methods to lighten the color but I wouldn't recommend it for an original. Post a few pictures if you can so we can get a look at it.
I've taken a couple of pictures, but I couldn't post them. I checked the FAQ's and realised they have to be in a public access site. Any Ideas ?
doppelganger
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by doppelganger »

I use photobucket for my pics. Free to sign up for an account and loads of storage space. You can then get links to the pics for various uses.
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Here's a couple of images of the bag. (Thanks doppelganger, finally got it to work).

In direct sunlight.

In shade.

The colour doesn't look quite so green in these pictures. I must admit, I'm not so bothered about it as I was at first. Thoughts please ?
IndianaDan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaDan »

Looks pretty much spot on to me.
Indiana Charles
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Charles »

A fine bag :H:

- I.C.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I think it looks great as is, of course, as I've said, I lean into the 'green' camp anyway.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Perfect. :tup:
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Great, well I'm sold then. The bag stays as is. Thanks guys, it was good to get your opinions and taking a closer look at those screen shots Indiana Jeff was very helpful.

Kind regards,

Dangerfreak :TOH: