Bapty conversion update - **New Pics**

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Trebor
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Bapty conversion update - **New Pics**

Post by Trebor »

My Bapty conversion is moving forward. I was originally going to do a Stembridge on a Model 1917 that I picked up but decided it was too nice to cut.

I got this HE 2 from a friend for a good price. A previous owner had it ported, buffed off most of the markings and reblued it. He also scribed in his DL# on the side. There's a bare spots where the number was removed on the other side of the gun and another where rust was removed near the muzzle. My buddy made me a really good deal on it. It's also been rechambered for .45 Colt or was possibly a Canadian contract originally made in .45 Colt. (No way to know for sure considering what few markings remain)

I finally found a gunsmith to do the conversion. He's gonna do all the mods and reblue and "antique" it so there are no bare spots and the overall finish matches. I'll ask him about sharing his info after he does the work. (It was a friend of a friend type recommendation and don't know if he's going to want to offer this type of work again. I will ask though, and report back on work).

The last item, and one of the hardest, has been the grips. I finally have leads on two pairs. One is a trade deal where if I have the correct grips the seller wants we're gonna swap straight across. If mine are not what he wants I'm going to buy a pair from a different seller (for more than I paid for the gun) and sell my grips to help fund the purchase. Should know in a day or two.

Here's a quick crappy photo. I'm going to take a few better ones so I have some "before" shots before I send it off for the work.

Last edited by Trebor on Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Re: Bapty conversion update - Got gun, gunsmith & grips OTW

Post by ChrisMD »

Congrats! However I'll never understand why "Bubba" has to carve things into a gun. Makes me IRATE! After all that it's been through though I wouldn't feel bad about making it my own. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Trebor
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trebor »

ChrisMD wrote:Congrats! However I'll never understand why "Bubba" has to carve things into a gun. Makes me IRATE! After all that it's been through though I wouldn't feel bad about making it my own. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Back in the 70's it was a "thing" for police agencies to tell people to engrave their name, DL# or even their Soc Sec# onto valuables for ID. They often specifically recommended it for guns.

60's AND 70's. I still have my Dad's official electric engraver he received from his work safety department with the instructions on what to engrave your SS# so if stolen, law enforcement can trace the item back to the owner.

Who knew that identity theft would be just over the horizon!?

Regard! M
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Excellent candidate for a Bapty conversion! :clap: Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.
Trebor
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Bapty conversion update - **New Pics**

Post by Trebor »

I received the correct pre-war Service Grips with Brass Medallions. These are very hard to find. I wound up selling the pre-war Magnas that came on the gun to one collector and using that money to buy the pre-war Service Grips from a different collector. I sold my set for $200 and bought the other set for $200, so I came out even.

I could have gotten a little more for my set, but my buddy who sold me the gun gave me such a good deal on it, I would have felt bad if I'd done so. As it as, everybody got what they needed and we all helped each other out a bit.

Btw, these pre-war Service Grips with Brass Medallion are getting very hard to find and are pricey when you find them. I was about ready to buy another gun just for the grips! If you are planning a Bapty conversion, start looking for grips now, and jump on 'em when you find them. God knows how long you'll wait if you miss them.

Here's a better picture with the pre-war Magnas. These aren't original to this gun. This shows the bare spot where the DL# of the previous owner was buffed off and also the home-made porting job someone did.

And here's a photo I just took in my backyard. I got the Mk VII bag today. The Webley holster came from an auction lot I bought a couple weeks ago. It's up in the FS forum now though as I realize it won't fit after I chop the barrel. Note the correct grips.

The gun will be off to the gunsmith in a couple weeks.