The Federation IV Display Page

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: The Federation IV Display Page

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Sorry for the double post. Tried to delete but was unable to.
Last edited by Indiana Bugs on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Kwality dawg, there! Is that a moonstone fed? :-k
SteelEyeball
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by SteelEyeball »

Texan Scott wrote:Kwality dawg, there! Is that a moonstone fed? :-k
Were you referring to mine? If so, it's a dark brown, I just have poor lighting in my room haha. If you weren't referring to me, disregard this reply :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

No, that's a nice hat and a good bash you put into it. Enjoy! ;)
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

It's the color-shifting Clipper model!
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Oildale Jones wrote:It's the color-shifting Clipper model!
;) , :rolling: ! Great come-back :TOH: ! W>
EvilDean
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by EvilDean »

6years of beating the @#$% out of this amazing thing :)
Sorry for the face and the size of the pics, Ill correct that when Im not on my phone
[URL=http://s20.photobucket.com/user/im ... .jpg[/img][/url]
[URL=http://s20.photobucket.com/user/im ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Jacques
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jacques »

I'm surprised I've not posted in this thread. :) Me with my Fed IV Deluxe...dang, I really need to work on the taper...

Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Looking sharp sir!

B
midgettem1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by midgettem1 »

Hey- new member here- just started collecting Indy gear- and first time ever owning a fedora. I ended up purchasing the Fed IV, and I couldn't be happier! First time "bashing" a cover as well- it's still kind of a work in progress. Let me know what you think!

Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Solid work, sir!
Were you going for Last Crusade or Temple of Doom? If I had to guess, I'd say Crusade.

Welcome aboard, and down the rabbit hole:)

Best,
B
midgettem1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by midgettem1 »

Bartram wrote:Solid work, sir!
Were you going for Last Crusade or Temple of Doom? If I had to guess, I'd say Crusade.

Welcome aboard, and down the rabbit hole:)

Best,
B
I was bashing while watching Crusade, so I think that's what I'm working on, lol! :)

It is certainly a rabbit hole.... I get my first new Wested tomorrow- I've had a second-hand one that I've had for some time now that's been a little tight. Figured I'd go big and get the fedora as well. Whip and Aldens will be the next purchase.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Welcome aboard! Good choice on the Fed IV and it looks natural on you.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

Looks amazing.

I think you should leave the bash as is in the picture you posted. Not too tight like Raiders, and not too loose like Crusade. You even achieved an ever-so-slight reverse taper.

Maybe give a little curl to the side of the brim?

You're one of those dudes who look like they were just supposed to wear a hat like that. Congrats.
midgettem1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by midgettem1 »

Thanks!! I really do love the hat- I'm finding more and more reasons to wear it- I'm lucky it goes well with my suits! ;)

I'll have to take another picture soon- between the heat, rain and just shaping it, the hat has taken on a little more character!
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Bring it;)
midgettem1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by midgettem1 »

Bartram wrote:Bring it;)
Consider it brought!

RJR
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by RJR »

It's definitely looking more experienced. :H:
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Looks great, man. I have to say, there are higher end hats of all stripes, but that Fed IV is really solid. Worn well, it can rival many challengers, and you wear it well.

I'll admit that the Fed was my first Indy hat, so I've got a soft spot for it. But there are some essences of the Indy fedora it consistently captures. Well done, and keep up the good work.

Best,
B
McQ7
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by McQ7 »

Hey all, I recently got a Fed III but I think it's just a bit too large--still loose even with the sizing foam strips. However, I also recently found a barely used Fed IV and it's ended up being a great fit, comfortable, and a nice structure (not too stiff, not too floppy). The Fed IV got a turned Raiders bash (rebashed since it had been given a teardrop dent).

Here are some pics of the Fed IV. Taken with a Nikon 7100 and kit lens at 70 mm (apparently Raiders was filmed with 70mm). All pics were taken after noon and before 3 pm, so the sun is more or less directly overhead. The more pics I take of the hat, the more I realize how important the lighting was to the look of the hat in the film.

Here's the Fed IV (front height is 4.25" and rear height is 3.75"):

And some other recent ones of the Fed IV with same camera settings:

davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Whoa! It's like ten years ago all over again!

Yup, I know that this Federation IV Display Page topic is "dormant," or maybe "dead," but... why? Is the Akubra Federation IV "old hat" :roll: at this point? Is acquiring a new Fed no longer exciting enough to merit a "Post 'Em Up" style topic? Has this forum become so Fedora Lounge-ish :CR: that only expensive custom-made "snob" hats merit photos and discussion and \:D/ ?

Oh well, too bad! Some... or at least one... of us schlubs still think it's pretty exciting to get a parcel from Australia containing a brand new Indy style hat!

I recently (April 2018) purchased a new Federation IV Deluxe fedora style hat from Hats Direct, just like the one I bought almost ten years ago, in December 2008... and decided I didn't like... and ultimately sold.

Okay, it's not that I didn't like the hat; rather, I felt that it never looked quite right on me... which led me to "dislike" it, and finally to sell it.

Yet here I am, ten years later, buying another one. Why?

That's a good question... for which I don't really have a good answer, other than, I like hats, and I like "Indiana Jones" style hats, and I haven't owned an actual "Indy-style" fedora for quite a while now. Which I suppose is legit, but then, even if I like hats, and even if I want an Indy hat, why would I be buying... or re-buying... at hat that I know I don't like?

Well... okay, that's a good question, too. But here's my rationale: I think I was kind of afraid of my Fed IV the first time I owned it. It was my first "expensive" (for me) hat purchase. It was my first "good" hat. After my tentative, and largely failed, attempts to shape it, I kind of babied it, and I never really wore it much. I certainly didn't wear it enough for it to develop any character, or to really start fitting me well.

I also may have purchased the wrong size back then. The hat always felt too large. It dropped down and rode on top of my ears.

I've had more experience with hats over the past decade. I currently own a number of Akubras and a Stetson in various styles, and I've bought and sold several other hats. This time I ordered the size I know fits based on my other Akubras, and the new hat fits pretty well straight out of the box. Over time, if I actually wear it, it should come to fit even better, and it should eventually start to look like my hat, a real hat, and not a fancy costume let's-play-dress-up hat. Right? :? That's the plan, anyway.

Arright, how about a few pics? Perhaps a few too many pics, according to the original forum guidelines. But here's the thing; I've been re-reading this topic from the beginning, thirty-eight pages ago, and almost all of the original photos have disappeared. And seriously:

:WLWOP:

A lot of the original forum members have disappeared along with their photos. I've been clicking through to profiles to see when people last visited the site. Lots of people have disappeared over the last decade. Curiously, the stats indicate a surprising number of people continue to check in once in a while, or "lurk," but rarely post anymore, but that's perhaps a matter for a different topic.

So, Mods, if this is too many pics, let me know :whip: and I'll change some of 'em to links. :notworthy: Considering, though, that hardly anyone is bothering to even post photos to the forum anymore, and that most of the photos in this particular topic are long gone, and that I actually take the time to resize my photos and save 'em at a lower resolution to conserve bandwidth... which used to be a "thing" back in the dial-up days... okay, yeah, [-X rules are rules, so as I said, let me know and I'll change the pics to links if necessary.

The New Arrival: an Akubra Federation IV Deluxe from Hats Direct aka The Hattery in Katoomba, NSW, Australia (I drove through Katoomba once, but it was before I became interested in Indy gear; man, I'd love to go back!):

The shipping box. Not as solid as I remember them being, but it arrived intact.
The parcel reached Los Angeles from Australia within three or four days of
placing the order. Then it sat in LA for ten days before being dispatched. It
bounced around through a couple of the local postal processing centers before
finally being delivered. Total time from order to delivery, about 2-1/2 weeks.

Opening the box! Hat, invoice, and a strip of sizing foam.

Awww... how sweet! A personalized note from Trudi and Naomi!

Ooh, look at that fanceh "Heritage Collection" liner! Classy stuff!

The sweat band is stamped "Pure Fur Felt" and not "Imperial" or "Heritage"

I'm sorry, but seeing "Made in Australia" still gives me a little thrill. The world is a much
smaller place now, but when I was a kid, Australia was still a distant, exotic, exciting land!

What's this? :shock: A bowler? A clown hat? A hobo hat?
Nope, none of the above; this is what "open crown" looks like.
I guess we have some work to do!

Has anybody else purchased a new Fed IV recently? If so, don't be shy, let's see 'em!

And if anybody still has a Fed IV they posted about back when this topic was new in 2008/2009, let's see those, too! How have they held up over the years? What adventures have they been on? Do you still wear 'em?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Wow, remarkable that this thread has been dormant for almost 2 1/2 years. When I first joined, the FedIV was the workhorse of the Indy fedora world.

Thanks for bringing this one back to the top with your unboxing.

I suspect you will enjoy your FedIV much more this time out. Get a bash into it, throw it on your head and get out into the great outdoors to break it in. Before you know it, it'll be your hat and not just an Indy hat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

davidd wrote:Whoa! It's like ten years ago all over again!

Yup, I know that this Federation IV Display Page topic is "dormant," or maybe "dead," but... why? Is the Akubra Federation IV "old hat" :roll: at this point? Is acquiring a new Fed no longer exciting enough to merit a "Post 'Em Up" style topic? Has this forum become so Fedora Lounge-ish :CR: that only expensive custom-made "snob" hats merit photos and discussion and \:D/ ?

Oh well, too bad! Some... or at least one... of us schlubs still think it's pretty exciting to get a parcel from Australia containing a brand new Indy style hat! . . .

Has anybody else purchased a new Fed IV recently? If so, don't be shy, let's see 'em!

And if anybody still has a Fed IV they posted about back when this topic was new in 2008/2009, let's see those, too! How have they held up over the years? What adventures have they been on? Do you still wear 'em?
Davidd, I totally agree about the feeling of anticipation when a box arrives with a new hat -- exceeded when you open the box, hold the hat, and start thinking what that open crown will become.
So -- have you done any work on it yet?

Mine (not a Deluxe) is a couple of years old, and I changed the ribbon to the more accurate dark-dark brown. Bashed, more or less, as Last Crystal. I love mine, and expect you'll love yours. Have fun! :)

davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Wow, remarkable that this thread has been dormant for almost 2 1/2 years. When I first joined, the FedIV was the workhorse of the Indy fedora world.
Yeah, it was actually a lot of fun going back to the beginning of this topic and re-experiencing the excitement surrounding what was the first "screen accurate" high-quality Indy hat at a reasonably affordable price. Kinda sad that most of the photos have disappeared. Oh, those Photobucket users... they chose poorly!
Howard Weinstein wrote:I totally agree about the feeling of anticipation when a box arrives with a new hat -- exceeded when you open the box, hold the hat, and start thinking what that open crown will become. So -- have you done any work on it yet?
It's still "pristine," with the plastic wrap over the crown. The old fear of "messing it up" is starting to creep back. Although actually, I'm enjoying the idea of having a brand new Indy hat, and I'm waiting until I have a good, solid chunk of time in which to sit down with it and work on it slowly. I'm hoping to achieve a well-defined "twin humps" look like you did with yours. My idea is to go "generic Indy hat" and then wear it and let it evolve with real-world use.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

davidd wrote:
Indiana Jeff wrote:Wow, remarkable that this thread has been dormant for almost 2 1/2 years. When I first joined, the FedIV was the workhorse of the Indy fedora world.
Yeah, it was actually a lot of fun going back to the beginning of this topic and re-experiencing the excitement surrounding what was the first "screen accurate" high-quality Indy hat at a reasonably affordable price. Kinda sad that most of the photos have disappeared. Oh, those Photobucket users... they chose poorly!
Howard Weinstein wrote:I totally agree about the feeling of anticipation when a box arrives with a new hat -- exceeded when you open the box, hold the hat, and start thinking what that open crown will become. So -- have you done any work on it yet?
It's still "pristine," with the plastic wrap over the crown. The old fear of "messing it up" is starting to creep back. Although actually, I'm enjoying the idea of having a brand new Indy hat, and I'm waiting until I have a good, solid chunk of time in which to sit down with it and work on it slowly. I'm hoping to achieve a well-defined "twin humps" look like you did with yours. My idea is to go "generic Indy hat" and then wear it and let it evolve with real-world use.
That's a good plan. Just play with it and you'll get it. I learned pretty quickly that Akubras are very forgiving, sturdy hats and bashing them (sometimes multiple times) is a fun, Zen way to pass an hour or two. I like to do it while semi-watching a baseball game...or listening to an Indy soundtrack CD :)
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Thank you for bringing some life back to this thread.
My Fed IV was the first "real" Indy hat I purchased and will always have a soft spot in my heart because of it.
Plus, I have always really liked the Fed's lines, too. Gets most of the hat really right, to my mind.

Mine could use some love if its going to be wore out again, however.
Who has had success reblocking their Fed? Could be a fun undertaking.

Post some pics. Show us what it looks like now.

All the best friends,
B
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

As an experiment, I am going to try wearing my new Fed IV Deluxe in its "unbashed" state for a few days before tinkering with the crown shape to see if it starts to conform to my head. Then perhaps the bash and the overall fit will look more natural. Today I only wore it for a couple of hours while working on a deck-building project. I'm hoping to get in some longer stretches of time over the next couple of days.

I can get away with this because I'm working by myself, so I don't have to worry about looking too stupid. :mrgreen:

davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

When reading through the various topics about the Federation IV, I sometimes see comments along the lines of, "I'll have to get used to the wide brim" or "it feels like a cowboy hat." My response to that is: say whaaaat?
:?

Compared to the hats I generally prefer, the Fed is definitely taking some getting used to, because, relative to what I usually wear, it feels like a stingy brim or a trilby. Right now, in fact, because I'm still letting it "self-fit" and haven't yet creased the crown, when wearing it I feel like either Oddjob from Goldfinger or Mr. Banks from Mary Poppins in their bowlers.

Or... does anyone remember an old Disney movie, The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin?

"You call this a wide brim?"

:-s :[ :roll: :oops:

Anyway, here's a comparison photo of the Fed IV with some hats with real brims on 'em:

Clockwise from upper left:
Akubra Military Slouch with Montana Peak crease
Akubra Sombrero with an Indy-ish bash that has morphed into a
Secret of the Incas / King Solomon's Mines safari style
Akubra Pastoralist with an Indy-ish bash – yes, the Pastoralist has a wider brim than the Fed IV
J. Peterman Co. "Hemingway" cap - even my only baseball cap has a bill longer than the Fed IV brim
Stetson "Tom Mix" western hat with a Montana-ish crown that is evolving over time
Center: Akubra Federation IV Deluxe, open crown at present
Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Parttimeteacher »

New here. Figured I'd throw my hat in the ring, so to speak. It needs work but it gets use.

http://imgur.com/a/aFthODJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
2018-05-10 22.28.43.jpg
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Parttimeteacher wrote:New here. Figured I'd throw my hat in the ring, so to speak. It needs work but it gets use.
Lovin' that ripple in the brim! I want my Fed to look like that some day!
Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

I had to put some steam to it and even it back up a little. It was a good bit lower on one side where I pull it on with my right hand.
Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

I added a couple of pics of it in daylight to this album as well as a gif to show the resilience of the hat.

http://imgur.com/a/aFthODJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

After wearing my new Fed IV Deluxe for a couple of weeks while working outside I've started feeling comfortable with the fit, so today I decided to start working on a bash. I was going to start with only the top lengthwise dent, but I couldn't resist putting in a couple of side dents. I'm planning to work on this a little bit at a time and avoid rushing things, and to wear the hat as I work on it, tweaking it as I go.

The Mk VII satchel is an older Magnoli bag, a veteran of the Pillar of Darkness Expeditons of 1913 and 1915.
Kladdagh
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Kladdagh »

It is good to see the thread back on the road ... :D
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Wearing the Fed IV while hiking in Red Rock Country

My experimental approach of wearing the hat "unbashed" for a couple of weeks before trying to shape it, and then shaping it gradually, seems to be working.
I'm finally managing to get the "humps" look to the top of the crown, which I've never effectively achieved with two previous hats, and the front dents are holding
their shape rather than working their way out. Shaping the crown is not affecting the fit, and having allowed the hat to "self-fit" lets the shaping work with, rather
than against, the fit. I'm still wanting a bit more downward curl to the front of the brim, and the front pinch could be tighter, but it's coming along.

Is anybody else still wearing Fed IVs these days?
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Summer hiking hat: Akubra Federation IV Deluxe
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

davidd wrote:
Is anybody else still wearing Fed IVs these days?

Yup. I still wear mine during travels. This year marks my Fed4D's ten year anniversary :TOH:
Petra 2017
Petra 2017
treasury-petra2017-02.jpg (37.72 KiB) Viewed 6595 times

Regards

CJ
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Chiliana Jones wrote: Yup. I still wear mine during travels. This year marks my Fed4D's ten year anniversary :TOH:
Tough to top Petra for Indy hat cachet! :clap:
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I have considered getting another Fed (like I need more) and not changing the crown. I have seen a few in older pictures of that style fedora without being bashed. Would still shape the brim.

Wonder how funky that would look?
D00R
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by D00R »

midgettem1 wrote:Hey- new member here- just started collecting Indy gear- and first time ever owning a fedora. I ended up purchasing the Fed IV, and I couldn't be happier! First time "bashing" a cover as well- it's still kind of a work in progress. Let me know what you think!

Looks excellent. Where did you order yours?

Does anyone think the Akubra Imperial is softer than the Akubra Federation IV Deluxe?
Is there 2 versions of this fedora? Ive been researching it and more I see the more I want one.

Everyone looks great in there Hats. Does anyone know where to purchase the Federation IV? I am in belgium.
LRGS
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LRGS »

You can get it at hatsdirect.com. Had mine for 10 years. Looks as good as ever.
D00R
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by D00R »

LRGS wrote:You can get it at hatsdirect.com. Had mine for 10 years. Looks as good as ever.
Yes I see it there. I see the Federation IV and the Deluxe. Is the regular Federation called the Imperial?
LRGS
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LRGS »

Imperial is the standard, I believe. Deluxe is a bit more expensive. Not sure what is different about the felt (more pounced on the deluxe?) but I hear that the sweatband is higher quality on the deluxe. Never owned the imperial so can't comment first-hand.
D00R
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by D00R »

LRGS wrote:Imperial is the standard, I believe. Deluxe is a bit more expensive. Not sure what is different about the felt (more pounced on the deluxe?) but I hear that the sweatband is higher quality on the deluxe. Never owned the imperial so can't comment first-hand.
Yes I read the sweatband is wider to.
Does the Imperial have that plastic at the top of the liner like the deluxe version?
D00R
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by D00R »

everyones hats look great.
Last edited by D00R on Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I keep telling myself I ‘need’ one in tawny fawn. Perhaps this will be the week I pull the plug and get it. I think they’re about $118 currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D00R
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by D00R »

I think I need a FedIv.
Last edited by D00R on Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

All the hats are looking good!
D00R
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by D00R »

Which FedIV is the Indy fedora color? Dark Brown or Heritage Fawn?
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

D00R wrote:Which FedIV is the Indy fedora color? Dark Brown or Heritage Fawn?
Dark brown. It's actually darker than the movie hats, but it's the closest of the Fed IV colors.