Question on Indy 405 Sizing

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Question on Indy 405 Sizing

Post by Glenville86 »

Was checking on availability of an 11.5D Indy with a vendor and he said he has a pair of 11E he will sell at a big discount and that the fit would be about the same as the 11.5D.

Thoughts?
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Question on Indy 405 Sizing

Post by Illinois James »

I guess that depends whether or not you're one of the guys that likes to 'size down' for the 405 (or, really, the Trubalance last).

I buy the size I measure on a Brannock, 12D. I can wear 11.5 E as well.

Some guys are in the camp that since the Trubalance last runs a half-size large, they go down to the next smaller shoe/boot.

To me, a work boot should be worn with a work sock, not dress socks. I like the extra room for that, as well as a set of 3/4 sole orthotics. That's really why the Trubalance last is roomy anyway, to allow for orthotics and such. It's just a 'roomy' last.

So, if you're a 12 and you choose to go down to the 11.5D, I'd be skeptical you'd be ok with the 11E. If you measure an 11.5D, I'd take chance on the 11E.

Hope that helps!
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I am normally a 12m in most dress shoes and some boots. I wear an 11.5m in Heritage Red Wings Boots. In the Army, wore 11.5m combat boots.

I have 2-pair of Indy boots in 11.5. I guess what I am wondering is if the Indy length of the 11e foot bed is just about the same as the 11.5d.

I replied to Leather Soul that I normally wear an 11.5d Indy and needed confirmation the 11e foot bed length was almost the same.

On my pair of 11.5d 405 boots, my big toe (longest) sits right at the stitching.
Anduril
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Anduril »

I picked up a pair of 405s a few weeks back in a 10.5 and I usually wear an 11 and they fit great!
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Anduril wrote:I picked up a pair of 405s a few weeks back in a 10.5 and I usually wear an 11 and they fit great!
Do you mean you normally wear an 11 in the Indy 405 and the 10.5 fit or you normally wear an 11 in other shoes/boots?
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

There isn't much difference in shoe length from one size to another. The size is mostly determined by width and overall volume, determined by the last, or 'buck'. The length has little to do with size, that is, until your toes touch the inside end! If they're too small, they likely will be too small all over the foot when laced.

405's are long boots. I have 11.5D's which I can only wear with a thin dress sock, and no orthotics, that are virtually the same length as 12D Redwings overall. The Aldens are still tight even after storage with oversized shoe trees inside while the Redwings are a good fit.

I wore 11.5 shoes and 12 occasionally for 20 years, 'breaking in' shoes and work boots, painfully sometimes in construction, to get them to fit. It wasn't until I was measured on a Brannock, in an Alden store, I realized what I was doing wrong.

What kind of combat boots? Corcoran's?

If you don't have a wide foot or need a very roomy toe box, you could probably chance the 11E. That's all they have for Ultimates?
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Illinois James wrote:There isn't much difference in shoe length from one size to another. The size is mostly determined by width and overall volume, determined by the last, or 'buck'. The length has little to do with size, that is, until your toes touch the inside end! If they're too small, they likely will be too small all over the foot when laced.

405's are long boots. I have 11.5D's which I can only wear with a thin dress sock, and no orthotics, that are virtually the same length as 12D Redwings overall. The Aldens are still tight even after storage with oversized shoe trees inside while the Redwings are a good fit.

I wore 11.5 shoes and 12 occasionally for 20 years, 'breaking in' shoes and work boots, painfully sometimes in construction, to get them to fit. It wasn't until I was measured on a Brannock, in an Alden store, I realized what I was doing wrong.

What kind of combat boots? Corcoran's?

If you don't have a wide foot or need a very roomy toe box, you could probably chance the 11E. That's all they have for Ultimates?
Yep - the Corcoran boots were an 11.5m. Not sure what they have left in the Utimates but 11.5 was sold out. Still can't figure out why the salesman thinks the 11E and be very close in fit to the 11.5d. My 405 boots in 11.5 need a medium boot crew sock to fit right.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Sounds to me like a salesman just trying to move stock out. :-k

Regard! Michaelson
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Michaelson wrote:Sounds to me like a salesman just trying to move stock out. :-k

Regard! Michaelson
:lol: :lol:
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I just ended up buying the 405 Alden Men's Indy Boot High Top Blucher Workboot Brown in 11.5d.

I already have the J Crew dark brown Indy and their burnished tan Indy.

I have plenty of other boots with the commando sole.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

You needed some standard 405's anyway!

If you wore an 11.5 D in all other shoes, the 11E might be ok, if you're on board with the 'size down' for the Trubalance last.

But, if that's the case, you'd really be looking at an 11 D.

If LSH is offering a substantial discount at all, then, like Michaelson says, they're trying to move stock that has been sitting around awhile, I suppose.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Illinois James wrote:You needed some standard 405's anyway!
;) :tup:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I think it was Schmidty who said there is about 1/8" difference between sizes. Mainly, heel slippage is what you have to be concerned about with shoes and boots.