Red Wing 9030 and 9029 - Look At These Prices

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Red Wing 9030 and 9029 - Look At These Prices

Post by image »

While looking for "close enough" Indy boots, I read a lot of really good posts (reviews) on the internet concerning the Red Wing 9030; the 9029 being the same boots except in the black color. I checked the availability of these fine boots only to find , other than a size 11.5 they weren't available anywhere in the US that I could find. As a last resort I checked Ebay and found that a British seller was the only one selling them (all sizes). However, the cost is - $537.91 ($467.53 + shipping $70.38). Reviews have said they are great high quality boots that are close, in style, to the 405s but, for those who own a pair, are they worth the price?
zhund
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Red Wing 9030 and 9029 - Look At These Prices

Post by zhund »

image wrote:While looking for "close enough" Indy boots, I read a lot of really good posts (reviews) on the internet concerning the Red Wing 9030; the 9029 being the same boots except in the black color. I checked the availability of these fine boots only to find , other than a size 11.5 they weren't available anywhere in the US that I could find. As a last resort I checked Ebay and found that a British seller was the only one selling them (all sizes). However, the cost is - $537.91 ($467.53 + shipping $70.38). Reviews have said they are great high quality boots that are close, in style, to the 405s but, for those who own a pair, are they worth the price?
Have you gone to an actual Red Wing store? I bought a pair of their heritage line a few years back, needed to go back 3 times before I was happy with the fit. I got the Iron Worker I believe.

I also found this site: http://www.shermanshoesnyc.com/product_ ... g-9030.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like $370 & free shipping. Good luck!
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

At those prices... I'd just safe another few hundred and get the Aldens
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by image »

Thanks that helps.
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

"CHOKE!" Excuse me. Does the boot walk for you?!
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by image »

You're excused.
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by image »

I lucked out and found a pair of the Red Wing 9030 in my size. They arrived today and they are absolutely great. The "commando" type soles appear to be more appropriate for someone doing the things that Indy has to do, even though they are not SA. Never cared much for the Alden 403 and 405 soles and I can see why people are replacing them with Commando soles. The leather will require more break-in time than the Alden Indy boots however, everything about the construction and materials are first rate. I prefer the boots without the speed lacing hooks. I read somewhere that Horween provided the beautiful leather; I like the color because it reminds me of the color of some classic flight jackets ( A-2) I have owned. The 9030 runs true to size. I didn't include a pic because just about everyone knows what the Red Wing 9030 look like. :D
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I lucked upon two pair of the Redwings (9029 and 9030) a couple years ago from an online discount outlet for $270 a pair. They didn't suit me and at the time I was waiting for some Ultimate Indy's from LSH and some AF64's from Alden of Carmel which were already paid for. Both of those Indy boots had the true commando sole. I couldn't justify keeping them so I sent them back. Kinda wish I hadn't now.

I don't know if they're even still manufactured as part of the Heritage line.

There are a few 'vendor exclusive' Indy boots out there with the commando sole. And, of course, there's the 404 with the Vibram lug sole.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Illinois James wrote:I lucked upon two pair of the Redwings (9029 and 9030) a couple years ago from an online discount outlet for $270 a pair. They didn't suit me and at the time I was waiting for some Ultimate Indy's from LSH and some AF64's from Alden of Carmel which were already paid for. Both of those Indy boots had the true commando sole. I couldn't justify keeping them so I sent them back. Kinda wish I hadn't now.

I don't know if they're even still manufactured as part of the Heritage line.

There are a few 'vendor exclusive' Indy boots out there with the commando sole. And, of course, there's the 404 with the Vibram lug sole.
I like the sole on the 404's but can't stand the look of the boots... without the lighter colour and the white moc toe look they don't look like Indy. I kinda want the best of both worlds....
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I hear ya. But I will say that the 404 leather, and the tobacco chamois leather (Shoemart had them, dunno if they still do) are probably the best variant of the 405 as far as water and weather. They're 'oily' leathers and clean up very well.

If you can find a pair of Ultimate Indys from Leather Soul Hawaii, they have the light stitching with the commando sole, but they're the dark chromexel, or, more rarely, the dark brown kudu, which is also kinda 'oily', I think.

I snagged a pair of the natural chromexel Indys from Leffot with the commando sole which are awesome. I probably wear them more than any 405 variant I have, and that's too many!

The commando sole is going to be attached to a regular leather sole, too, unless you put a commando sole on to a cork sole yourself, of course. So I put conditioner on the exposed part of the sole to keep it from getting too weather worn.

Just my experience. Dunno if LSH does the preorders anymore. I think Alden of Carmel still does.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I already have a pair of 405 boots in burnished tan and dark brown. I went with the RW 9030 for a more outdoors type Indy vibe look. I just did not like the looks of the Alden with the commando soles. I have a couple pairs of Army boots (from when I retired) with those soles and they are great in the field but a pain in the butt to clean off if wearing out and back to the house daily. I am not into the deep lugs much anymore. Smaller (shorter) lugs are just fine for me.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

The Alden commando sole is a very shallow lug, probably no more than 1/8" deep. Not at all like the deep lug Vibram lug sole on the 404. In fact, the Alden lugs may even be more shallow than the 9029/30. They're no deeper, though. They're stitched right to the leather sole, just like the 9029/30.

I'm still amazed at how mud sticks into lugs that shallow!
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Illinois James wrote:The Alden commando sole is a very shallow lug, probably no more than 1/8" deep. Not at all like the deep lug Vibram lug sole on the 404. In fact, the Alden lugs may even be more shallow than the 9029/30. They're no deeper, though. They're stitched right to the leather sole, just like the 9029/30.

I'm still amazed at how mud sticks into lugs that shallow!
Good to know. The only lug soles I saw on the couple sites I looked at was the 404 model. Might have to get a pair sometime in the future...........
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Yeah, they're basically the same as what's on your Red Wings. But they aren't standard offerings from the factory. I guess I wasn't really clear on that part. I've found these soles on special runs from Leather Sole Hawaii, Shoemart, Leffot, and Alden of Carmel, and I know there are more.

The commando is also found on the plain toe, wings, and Norwegian split toe boots as well.

Like I say, I did like the 9029/30, but they were a little narrow compared to the Alden and I was already waiting for a pair of black chromexels from the Carmel store on a special order (waited a year!).

Leffot offers a regular 405 (same color without the orthopedic heel) with that commando sole that looks great too. But you had to preorder or grab them when they came in and they go fast. I'm kinda buried in 405 variants so I passed on those!

I still haven't worn the burnished tan J Crews outside yet!
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I have worn the J Crew Burnished Tan a couple of times to work. Still have not worn the J Crew regular Indy yet......Might do so tomorrow.

Leather Sole Hawaii has the commando sole in stock - tempting but expensive......

Red Wings are a ##### to break in. I have a pair of blacksmith boots, the 9030, and 4 of the beckmans in different colors. I had a pair of Iron Rangers that kept bruising where I lace them on top of my right foot and gave them to charity. I really don't think I have any of them completely broken in. They all feel fine in the morning but by mid to late afternoon are making my pups howl.......I try to wear 1-pair to work all week and then switch them out. Guess that is why it is taking so long......
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Glenville86 wrote:Leather Sole Hawaii has the commando sole in stock - tempting but expensive......
Off topic I relaize - but Leather Soul's Ultimate Indy boot at $595.00 are only $73.00 more than the 403s available from Shoemart - and only $32.00 more than the Natural Chromexcels. I have both and in my view the Ultimates are worth the extra few dollars.

They don't stick around long, so if you're thinking about them and they have your size - grab 'em. :TOH:
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Ridgerunner is right. They are worth it!

I always break in Redwings with the thickest sock I can wear in the boot.

Iron Rangers are awesome looking boots, but many guys find them ill fitting, often in the Achilles area.

Another cool boot I can't justify buying! :lol:
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I really like the Indy Alden but the only thing I like better on the Red Wings is the left/right eyelets do not come so close together. I don't have narrow feet and wear a medium crew boot sock but the eyelets are closer than I like. I wonder if they will almost or touch when the boots break in more?
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Illinois James wrote:I always break in Redwings with the thickest sock I can wear in the boot.
Thanks for the advice. Have a new pair of Red Wings Heritage Beckman Classic Moc 9015 in black cherry I wore yesterday with a thicker wool sock. Much easier on the feet. :TOH:
InamedthedogIndiana
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by InamedthedogIndiana »

I've never had the privilege of having a pair of Alden's but my current boots are a pair of Red Wings I snagged for about 150 bucks in great condition. For the price I paid they have more than served me well. But for a comparison I can't really speak for the Alden's .