Webley WG Army question

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

zhund
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Webley WG Army question

Post by zhund »

I recently acquired a WG Army, but believe it may have had some errors in the listing. Some questions for the experts here:

1. Would a .45 LC round fit into the cylinder of an unaltered WG? (I thought no, since that is the case with my S&W .455.) I can see that this pistol has not been modified for the use of moon clips w/ .45 ACP, but I can insert a .45 LC round into the cylinder although it won't turn with it inserted.

2. What would having one grip replaced do to the value of the gun? The listing stated that it had original grips in excellent+ near new condition with no cracks chips or repairs. The left side is well fitted and has the serial number stamped on the inside, but the right side is a slightly purple color with "W44" scratched near the bottom. The right side is also not fitted as well as the left side. I believe the W44 indicates it is a replacement grip from Vintage Gun Grips (http://vintagegungrips.net/ao-w44.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), since that is the model number on their site.

The pistol seems in fine shape overall, I will take it to my local gunsmith on Monday, but I wanted to see what anyone here had to say on the worth of this pistol if it had 90-95% blue and the conditions described above. Serial numbers (13###) match, with last 3 on cylinder and barrel.

Thanks very much for any help.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Webley WG Army question

Post by Michaelson »

My opinion to the first question would be no. A .45 long Colt is longer in length than a .455 round, as you know, so if this revolver is chambered in .455, nothing has changed between it and your Smith. They still won't interchange. A .45 Long Colt can be a higher pressure round too, so you may be crossing into dangerous territory if it doesn't match the chamber pressure of a .455.....but once again, all a moot point as it's longer than your cylinder anyway.

As to the second question, it can impact the value of the gun if both grips are not original (as they were stated they were), but unless you're willing to return the gun for a refund based on an incorrect listing, I'd just remove both grips and replace them with a matching set, having them fitted to your gun by your gunsmith. Set the removed grips back as backups should one of your new grips ever crack. I'd then see if the seller is willing to offer a slight refund of your monies due to his listing mistake.

Regarding value, I'll step back and let someone who has been more active in the current market to reply to that one. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
zhund
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zhund »

Michaelson wrote:My opinion to the first question would be no. A .45 long Colt is longer in length than a .455 round, as you know, so if this revolver is chambered in .455, nothing has changed between it and your Smith. They still won't interchange. A .45 Long Colt can be a higher pressure round too, so you may be crossing into dangerous territory if it doesn't match the chamber pressure of a .455.....but once again, all a moot point as it's longer than your cylinder anyway.

As to the second question, it can impact the value of the gun if both grips are not original (as they were stated they were), but unless you're willing to return the gun for a refund based on an incorrect listing, I'd just remove both grips and replace them with a matching set, having them fitted to your gun by your gunsmith. Set the removed grips back as backups should one of your new grips ever crack. I'd then see if the seller is willing to offer a slight refund of your monies due to his listing mistake.

Regarding value, I'll step back and let someone who has been more active in the current market to reply to that one. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Thanks Michaelson, I appreciate the info as always. I definitely wouldn't shoot .45 colt (or ACP) out of a WG because I like having my hand/eyes/face intact!

From Gunboards forum: "WGs marked 476, 455/476 or with no calibre marking (early ones and actually 476) will take a 45 LC, but the cylinder will not turn on account of the rim thickness. Those marked 450/455 or 450 will not take a 45 LC."

This might be the case with the pistol I had (marked 455/476), but when I looked in the cylinder it appeared to have been drilled out. My guess is this one was imported (it also had the ENGLAND stamp on the side) and may have been converted to .45 colt for that purpose.

Either way, I ended up returning it to the seller after talking to my local gunsmith. I guess I'm on the hunt again for a WG.

Regards,
KZ
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Good decision. If your gunsmith give it a thumbs down, always listen to the expert. :M: :tup:

Regards! M
zhund
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zhund »

Good news (to me anyway), I worked things out with the seller and am getting the pistol back. About 30% cheaper based on the replaced grip, which I'm fine with. I will take your advice on putting new grips on it altogether and keeping the one original grip in a safe place.

Functionally, the gun was in good shape, and I'd like to actually fire a few rounds through it. The only comments the gunsmith had was that I paid too much for it, and the seller overestimated the amount of bluing in the listing.

This is a photo from the seller, below is when it sat on my table.

Regards,
KZ
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Bravo and congratulations! \:D/ \:D/

Regards! Michaelson