Beginning my search for a whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Darksaber 3
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Darksaber 3 »

Hello all,

I am in the market for my first whip. However, I am not exactly sure what I should be looking for. My criteria are that it be an 8ft David morgan style whip, kangaroo leather. Also, price is of some importance to me, but I am willing to be a little bit flexible. I was looking for around the $500-650 price range.

Now, my options seem to be, for a decent indy style whip:
For a new whip, a Del Carpio ($730+$60.00S/H) or a MidWestWhips Indy($564+$19S/H, not sure if they still offer a COW discount). There also are Terry Jacka whips($465USD+S/H), which I may consider in the future if I ever want a second whip, but I’m not a fan of the extended belly. I have read that the Del Carpio are very accurate to the movie, but can be a little on the heavy side. I can’t seem to find much at all in terms of reviews of the MidWestWhips indy, though I have been searching here for a while trying. However, it seems that Paul Nolan has as good a reputation as Del Carpio and Jacka, so given the price difference I am leaning that way at the moment.

I also am considering looking for a used whip, which seem to have a bit more options. Along with potentially finding a used Del Carpio or MidWestWhips Indy, I could consider keeping my eye out for a 8ft Joe Strain or an pre-2007 8ft David Morgan, as I would prefer one made by the man himself if I were going to go that way. However, I have read that the Morgan whips don’t handle quite as well and have less tight plaiting. That said, I really wouldn't know as I have never owned a real high quality whip.

So, I guess some of my questions are: Are there any benefits to buying a used vs a new whip, other then being able to get them from makers that no longer produce them? It seems that used whips aren’t exactly common, from checking eBay and such. I also haven’t heard that there is any significant price difference between a new and used whip of the same type. But again, I am not sure as I haven’t seen any recently. Should I be worrying about the weight of the whip, or is it not a problem since the handles are weighted? Are there differences in handling or any type of conventions as to which is better for people depending on things like height for example? Most importantly, I would really love to read or see some reviews of the MidwestWhips indy whip, or comparisons of it and some of the others. Are there any makers I am forgetting? Thanks in advance!
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Well let me be the first to congratulate you on getting your first whip! Alright ill run down your list of questions and try to provide any input I can. A lot of other members here can definitely help you out as well.
This is all from my personal experience so please keep that in mind. With that said, there's nothing like a brand new whip, but I haven't noticed any benefits with purchasing a new whip over a used whip. New whips can be stiff and take some time to break in, which is a wonderful experience when you're the only owner. You get to witness the aging over time and it can easily grow to be a favorite of your collection. If you buy used, the whip could be well broken in and handle quite nicely, so if you wanted to skip the breaking in period then maybe that's the way to go. It's your call.
If you're planning on buying an older used Morgan, be prepared to spend a little extra then you may have initially wanted. The whips from the man himself can get pricey, understandably.
If you're looking for screen accuracy but don't mind buying something other than a David Morgan, then it's my opinion that Del Caprio is your best bet. He holds true to Morgan's construction and they're the most like a David Morgan whip that I've ever seen. Like Morgan they have some weight in the handle but I don't think it's anything to worry about, especially if you want an 8ft. That's a great length and shouldn't be difficult to crack during extended use. I have a 10ft Del Carpio, and a 12ft David Morgan made around 95'. It was surprising to find strong similarities between the two, and they are so much fun to crack.

Paul Nolan makes a beautiful whip as well. I'd say it's between a Del Caprio and Strain, for the braiding is wide like Morgan's and Carpios but tight much like a Strain. They're not as heavy as a Del Caprio but they are heavier than a Strain. Some might say the weight is just right, but it's your preference. Nolan definitely wants to provide a quality whip and the 10ft I've purchased from him is a pleasure to crack.
Strain makes a beautifully constructed whip. When I first got into the hobby, a lot of members swore by Joe Strain. People were preferring his whips over Morgan's, if you can believe it because they are that nice. I don't know if I would describe them as screen accurate. I think making them how he does, albeit outstanding quality, might sacrifice some of the screen accurate characteristics many members want. His tight braiding is almost show room, and they're not heavy unless requested which lets you crack for hours without any soreness. I feel Strains have a unique motion to them and I feel that's the braiding. I'm not sure how to describe it better. Perhaps other members here can contribute. They're different for sure. Strains might also be a little costly so you may have to spend extra if that's what you're looking for.

Another maker is Blake Bruning over at Trinity Whip Company. I've had business with him when he first started and I've heard great things about his recent work. He's come a long way and I'm sure he'd admit there's more to go but he makes a very nice whip. I have a few 6fters and an 8ft from Blake and they're wonderful.

As for Jacka, I've not handled one of his. I've heard both good and bad things but I'd rather not say since I have no experience with this maker.

I'd say figure out what's in your price range, determine if screen accuracy is vitally important to you, and go with a maker that you feel will make what you want. All makers listed are extremely nice and will work with you. One last thing is to take your time and think it over. Patience works because you never know what may show up on eBay or the bazaar and it may be just what you're looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Darksaber 3
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: Beginning my search for a whip

Post by Darksaber 3 »

Awesome, thanks for the info. I have been seriously thinking about buying a whip for the past year now. I think that for now an older Morgan just isn't an option for me, since it would be a bit too expensive. You mentioned that you have a 10ft Nolan. How does it compare, handling-wise, to the Del Carpio and the Morgan? You mentioned it has a tighter braid to it. Do you prefer your whips to have a tighter braid or a slightly more loose braid like the Morgan? I think I read somewhere that the Morgans, while cracking very loudly, are like a wet noodle.

As for price range, I think the Del Carpio is on the high end of what I would want to pay at the moment. If I were to look for a used strain or morgan, what is the price range I would be looking at? Last I heard a used morgan was going for around $1000 or so, but that was a while back so I assume it may be higher. I haven't seen any used strains so I have no idea whatsoever what one of those might go for. On screen accuracy, I don't really care too terribly much that it is EXACTLY screen accurate. For example, the later Morgans from around 2000 are just fine for me, even if they aren't 100% accurate to what was seen in the movies.

I suppose it might help to mention that I really want a whip that I can use for things like putting out candles, and doing target stuff. Watching Daren Wilkerson's videos of his indy bullwhips, it seems the 8ft Joe Strain handles better control then the Morgan and Del Carpio, although those are longer.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I was looking for an Indy whip 2 years ago and I went with Ben Scott whip. He is a truly master and he follows your wishes and makes totally great whip, just as you want it. And his prices are cheaper than makers you have mentioned above.
I have an 9 footer and I love the way it cracks and looks.
Darksaber 3
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Darksaber 3 »

His whips look very nice. However, I think for my first one I want a bit more traditionally constructed one, and later on down the line branch out, although his steel spring transition does sound interesting and will definitely be something I keep in mind! Though the 2 year waiting times I am finding when I look him up and read about him will be a bit too long for me at present.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I have waited a bit over 2 months for his whip if I remember correctly. I think that spring transition doesn't make the whip less 'Indyesque'. It isn't very stiff and the whip allows to coil thigtly.
Good luck with choosing your Indy whip :TOH:
Darksaber 3
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Darksaber 3 »

I will definitely keep that in mind! I think am leaning towards one of Paul Nolan's at the moment still. I was going to think about a used strain or Morgan, but I think I would be a bit worried about damaging one of those since they aren't exactly being made regularly anymore, and really would like one that I don't have to worry about replacing 5-10 years down the line if something terrible happened to it.

One question I did have, is does anyone have a few year old Terry Jacka whip, and if so, does it loosen up at all to the point where it can be coiled and hung on a belt? Based on what I have seen it just doesn't coil very tightly, which I understand is a partly how it is made, but I haven't seen anything regarding slightly older ones.
Yoyoyoman35
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Yoyoyoman35 »

Speaking from personal experience, and I have been cracking whips for a few years now, I would say that you might want to go for something a little cheaper to get your bearings first. That all depends on if you mean you're in search of your first high end whip, or your first whip period. If you've never attempted cracking one before, I would suggesting getting a shorter whip in cowhide or nylon, so that you don't accidentally damage a high end whip or find it too difficult to crack to begin with! Regardless, good luck on your search, I hope that you "Choose wisely" ;)

Cheers,

Grant Weaver :TOH:
Darksaber 3
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Darksaber 3 »

I actually had a couple cheap whips growing up, so I definitely want to get a high end whip at this point. I had a cheap mexican one that actually cracked pretty easily and also worked really well for grabs, but it finally wore out about a year ago.
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

You can't go wrong with any of the before mentioned whip makers. Used or new...especially when looking at a 8'-10'. Bullwhips are unique from stock whips because they can and will imprint with the whip crackers preference. I feel it is even more so on the shorter whips. Everytime I let my nephew or someone else play with a 6'ish whip that only I have used...it comes back even after just a half hour of play and feels different. I don't find this to be so much of the same when coming with a 10'. The shorter whips offer faster action and work well for flashy combination routines where as the longer whips don't. So, looking at a 8'-10' in used won't effect it at all.
I noticed that you say you have cracked whips when you were younger, but if they weren't made from kangaroo or from a Indiana Jones Style whip maker the previous expirience may be moot. I recommend you shout out to see if there is anyone in your area with any whips by these makers and see about making a visit to play. Most on this site are up for hospitality. Also if they have a few in different lengths as well...that could help in your decision as well.
I recommemd also that you think about the possibility that you will probably buy more then one in your future and think in terms more as your first 2-3whips then just one holy grail of a whip. I recomend a 10' & a 6' myself. It is just my preference, but I fell they are on opposite ends on the length specteum and and 8' in my opinion is an odd ball length. Hold up every one....let me elaborate, lol. I own 8'ers as well. A 10' is a long whip and excellent for casting flicks, overhands, and many other basic cracks. It is very fun and relaxing to cast out long slow rolling casts with it. I know you can circus crack with it, but that is a lot of whip to throw up in the air. The 6' is a great length because it can facilitate fast paced combination routines as well as a great length to target and snuff out candles. It is small enough to crack behind you with a tazmanian cutback and just long enough to crack under your feet. The 8' is an odd ball length in my opinion because it kind of rides a fence. It is a little to long for fast paced routines and it is to short to really expirience a nice "waves of the ocean" slow rolling crack like a 10'.
It may be good to scout ebay for a used whip from a reputable maker at a good price over a new one because you could always pass it on for the same price...maybe make $20 or maybe lose $20...just consider it the price for renting it. While buying a new one that you may find you want to sell shortly after will depreciate after a few session. From a reputable maker you should still get around %75 of the original cost, but like a car off the show room...used isn't new. Why would some one pay a new price for a slightly used whip when they could by it new exactly the way they want it.
Juat some food food thought.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

I've owned whips from Paul Nolan, Bernardo, Joe Strain, Blake Bruning, Morgan, Ben Scott, and others that I can't quite remember right now. I would have to say that you really can't go wrong with any of them. I found that most of the visual differences between them were slight, and only noticeable if you really know your stuff. Of course some of them crack a bit better than others, but all of these guys make a great whip, and they all happen to be great guys & easy to deal with. So to echo some of the others here, you really can't go wrong with any of these choices: don't stress over it too much, just go with what feels right & what you can afford!
Darksaber 3
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Darksaber 3 »

I also constructed what I thought would be a 8ft nylon bullwhip last summer. However, it ended up being about 10ft long when I was finished and that was just a bit too long for me to handle. I'm pretty set on the 8ft size after using that. I like the idea of a middle ground. It may not be the best for anything, but from videos I have seen it seems that it really can be used for a lot of things well still. I really do like the idea of finding a used one, but will have to wait around and keep checking eBay and see what turns up for a couple weeks or so I suppose. That said, I think I'll order before the end of July if I have to as I would like to have one by the time h'ween rolls around, although thats not a major concern.