Treasure of the Sierra Madre fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Treasure of the Sierra Madre fedora

Post by backstagejack »

If this post is in error in this part of the forum, I apologize.

I am interested in obtaining a fedora in the style of Bogart and distressing it in the way that it looked in "Treasure of the Sierra MAdre".

I know that SS was inspired by that fedora in his choice of Indy's fedora (which is my round about way of making this relevant)

I know that Penman makes an amazing Bogart hat from Casablanca but I wouldn't want to spend that kind of cash and have it distressed to the degree that it is in "Treasure"

I was wondering about the best close enough option out there..... I own an Akubra Bogart but it only comes in black and honestly doesn't really fit the bill....

Does anyone know of a good close enough that I can distress? Thanks!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Treasure of the Sierra Madre fedora

Post by BendingOak »

the hat he wear in that movie is the same hat just in a lighter color. everything else is the same. I hope that helps.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

BendingOak wrote:the hat he wear in that movie is the same hat just in a lighter color. everything else is the same. I hope that helps.
Thanks! Yeah, I've noticed that in almost all of Bogarts movies he seems to be wearing a very similar hat. I know that many times he would wear his own clothes in movies because he felt that the studios costumes were too cheap, etc. I've often wondered if this was one of his favorite styles of hat.

Again, I'd LOVE to have your Bogart Casablanca and will order one one day, but I don't want one in order to distress it to heck and back like it is in "Treasure of Sierra Madre"
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I had a customer of mine who owns a casablanca hat I made him for a special event in which Bogarts son was one of the gust of honers and He confirmed that most of the hats you see were in fact his own.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

BendingOak wrote:I had a customer of mine who owns a casablanca hat I made him for a special event in which Bogarts son was one of the gust of honers and He confirmed that most of the hats you see were in fact his own.
:D Thanks for the info, I love facts like that. I actually just finished watching "Treasure" with the commentary..... love that film. :TOH:

I just noticed though that the hat in Maltese, Casablanca and Madre all seemed to be the exact same style, and maybe possibly the same hat, though it's hard to tell with it being black and white. Studios don't generally do things like that, so it seems more of a personal touch i.e. "this is my favorite style of hat and it looks good on me..."
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

BendingOak wrote:I had a customer of mine who owns a casablanca hat I made him for a special event in which Bogarts son was one of the gust of honers and He confirmed that most of the hats you see were in fact his own.
Now! That is class! Bogart was one 'class act' and this even verifies it even more! No wonder he looked so good and lived-in, in the movie hats -- they were his! W>
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I agree! Bogart was true class and pure Hollywood gold. THey don't make them like him anymore.

Just looking for a good close enough though that I can tear up. Out of all the "Bogart" hats out there though, sadly it seems Penman has the best (not sadly because it's Penman, sadly cause I don't want to buy such an amazing hat and tear it up for my needs....)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

His son stated that bogart insisted he wear his own hats.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

BendingOak wrote:His son stated that bogart insisted he wear his own hats.
Not surprising. As I remember reading or hearing during a biography, Bogart disliked the studio wardrobes, etc....and insisted he wear his own clothes.

I just bought "Treasure of the Sierra MAdre" at Walmart for 3 dollars...the two disc special edition no less...... I can live with that!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Love the movie myself. There isn't much of his work I won't watch. The Casablanca , Raiders and Howard Hughes hats are my all time favorites. Bogart started the hat bug for me along with HH and then the Raiders put the finial nail in.
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

Stetson used to do a 'Nostalgia' model that would have did the trick, but unfortunately they discontinued it for some reason...In my opinion this was one of their most attractive hats in years, mustn't have been selling well!
erikgunnlugson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by erikgunnlugson »

When you say cheap how cheap are you tallking? 100 bucks? 50?

http://www.aztexhats.com/products/88-Go ... edora-Hat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.villagehatshop.com/fedora-hats-ALL.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not familiar with the movie but from screen shots of it some of these might work. Since you are going to be stepping on it about a 1000 times anyways.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

erikgunnlugson wrote:When you say cheap how cheap are you tallking? 100 bucks? 50?

http://www.aztexhats.com/products/88-Go ... edora-Hat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.villagehatshop.com/fedora-hats-ALL.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not familiar with the movie but from screen shots of it some of these might work. Since you are going to be stepping on it about a 1000 times anyways.
The problem with most hats labeled "Bogart" is they don't look anything like the Borgart hat, hahaha most have a Mad men look to them.

Hmmm....the Stetson Saxon isn't outside the realm of possible for this project. $150 is about as high as I want to go for a hat I'm going to tear the heck out of.

BendingOak wrote:Love the movie myself. There isn't much of his work I won't watch. The Casablanca , Raiders and Howard Hughes hats are my all time favorites. Bogart started the hat bug for me along with HH and then the Raiders put the finial nail in.
I would have to agree with all of those hats, some of the best I've ever seen.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Funny you are talking about this movie, they are showing it right now as I type on TCM (Saturday night, Jan. 12th)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

David Garrison of Garrison Hats (Local Land Surveyor here) has made me two Bogart styled hats. They'll run you more than the $150 you mentioned, but are great hats and would be able to put up with the abuse you want to put them through to distress them.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

BendingOak wrote:the hat he wear in that movie is the same hat just in a lighter color. everything else is the same. I hope that helps.
John, is there any way of telling what brand and/or style he might have wore? Any way of knowing to the brand or model?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I know exactly what it was.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

BendingOak wrote:I know exactly what it was.
And, the answer is......? Please [-o< ! W>
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

STETSON SOVERIGN? :-k

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/archive/ ... 42992.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ;)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

See, that wasn't that hard was it but they got the color wrong in that thread.
Demented Wookie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Demented Wookie »

Could always try Hats Direct
http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products. ... edora+Hats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They have a couple that look pretty close, but depends on the color you're wanting.

Regards,
-Ryan
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Demented Wookie wrote:Could always try Hats Direct
http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products. ... edora+Hats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They have a couple that look pretty close, but depends on the color you're wanting.

Regards,
-Ryan
I already have the Bogart rom hats direct...it's an alright hat but doesn't have that look at all.

Mentioning Garrison, I just might look into that.

In the mean time I just received my Akubra SNowy River, beautiful hat...but how the heck do you wear a hat with such a low crown...it feels like it's just sitting on my head.....
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

ANy one have a pic of their Bogart hats, either from Garrison or Penman?

I already know that Penman makes an amazing hat and an amazing Bogart/Casablanca... if Garrison's price isn't that much cheaper than Penman, I'd go with a Penman just based off the pics and reputation. Not that Garrison doesn't make quality product (his SOC hat is on my list of wants), I have yet to see any pics of his Bogart-esque hats....
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I have pictures of two Garrison Bogie style hats in the Garrison thread. Both are top notch made with the best rabbit felt available and David's customer service is outstanding. If you opt for the Garrison you won't be disappointed.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

For a Bogie style, I'd throw Art Fawcett into the mix as well.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

jlee562 wrote:For a Bogie style, I'd throw Art Fawcett into the mix as well.
I've never even heard of Art Fawcett......
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great hat maker!! I have a custom made by Art, and his eye to detail is fantastic.

Regards! Michaelson
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Art is one of the premier custom hatters in the world right now. He doesn't get brought up around these parts that much because he doesn't dabble in the Indy hats (although I'm sure he has a perfectly serviceable block for one).

Here's a picture of his Bogey hat(not mine, from a Fedora Lounge member):

His 100% beaver hats run $385. One thing Art has over other custom makers (aside from his unique ribbon work), is that he is able to get lightweight felts from Winchester. AFAIK, he is the only one who has them. It's a thinner, but dense felt which is absolutely the closest thing to a vintage hat that I've handled.

Here's a picture of my hat from Art, which doesn't have quite as deep a crease as the Bogey hat, but a similar block; mine is based on a Stetson Playboy (lightweight Black Cherry felt):

Of course, you can't go wrong with Penman or Garrison. But it's nice to have options.
david_h
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by david_h »

backstagejack wrote:ANy one have a pic of their Bogart hats, either from Garrison or Penman?
Aha, Casablanca...

I have several hats (way too many according to my wife) and John's Casablanca is one of my absolute favorites.

The only problem is that John's hats are so durable I think I could wear mine every day in the most extreme conditions and it will never get to be distressed like the Sierra Madre hat :D
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

david_h wrote:
backstagejack wrote:ANy one have a pic of their Bogart hats, either from Garrison or Penman?
Aha, Casablanca...

I have several hats (way too many according to my wife) and John's Casablanca is one of my absolute favorites.

The only problem is that John's hats are so durable I think I could wear mine every day in the most extreme conditions and it will never get to be distressed like the Sierra Madre hat :D
God that's gorgeous....... I might have to just spring for one of these babies.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Jlee, I talked with and use the same felter. That is not what they tell me.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

BendingOak wrote:Jlee, I talked with and use the same felter. That is not what they tell me.
I stand corrected then. Either way, those lightweight felts are awesome.
A.J. Cairo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by A.J. Cairo »

Between the Casablanca in rabbit felt or beaver felt, which do you think is better? I really like the floppiness of rabbit felt, but in the wet weather of the Pacific Northwest I think a beaver felt might serve me better.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

And then every so often, you find a gem on ebay:

vintage Borso, not quite as full crowned as Bogey's, but it gets a similar vibe.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

A.J. Cairo wrote:Between the Casablanca in rabbit felt or beaver felt, which do you think is better? I really like the floppiness of rabbit felt, but in the wet weather of the Pacific Northwest I think a beaver felt might serve me better.

Being out in the NW myself I would say beaver but it you are going to distress the hat then just with rabbit. What's the piont of trashing a beaver felt hat.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Hey everyone, TCM is showing Sierra Madre right now!
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

BendingOak wrote:
A.J. Cairo wrote:Between the Casablanca in rabbit felt or beaver felt, which do you think is better? I really like the floppiness of rabbit felt, but in the wet weather of the Pacific Northwest I think a beaver felt might serve me better.

Being out in the NW myself I would say beaver but it you are going to distress the hat then just with rabbit. What's the piont of trashing a beaver felt hat.
It would be a tragedy to wreck a new $525 beaver Casablanca to make it look like Dobbs' hat in Sierra Madre. :shock: I doubt anyone with an ounce of conscience could actually bring themselves to do it. :?

I'd say find something used on EBay that's part way there, maybe get the sweatband replaced, and work with that. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I don't know, old friend. We have folks take belt sanders to $500-$900 leather jackets everyday around this joint and very few even raise an eyebrow. :-k

;)

Agreed 100%. That 'Dobbs' style hat of John's is a thing of beauty.

Regards! Michaelson
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

True enough. I guess I cringe at the thought of someone doing that to one of John's hats because I know how much he puts into each one, and because I know how much abuse it would take to get one to look as dilapidated as the Sierra Madre hat. :TOH:
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

BendingOak wrote:See, that wasn't that hard was it but they got the color wrong in that thread.
And the correct color would be . . . ? ? ? :)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Pm me and I'll tell you all about it.
rogera
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rogera »

Charybdis wrote:Hey everyone, TCM is showing Sierra Madre right now!
Thanks for the heads up! I would have missed it otherwise.
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by getoutofthelibrary »

This one? ;)

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

rogera wrote:
Charybdis wrote:Hey everyone, TCM is showing Sierra Madre right now!
Thanks for the heads up! I would have missed it otherwise.
It was on TCM last night too.

Regards! M