The Last Crusade jacket repro. thread...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

ThatManFromRio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: The Last Crusade jacket repro. thread...

Post by ThatManFromRio »

whipwarrior wrote:... I gave my CS novapelle the same treatment and (unwittingly) vanquished the lovely dry matte finish permanently, so now the leather looks like regular glossy cowhide ...
I think the Pecard treatment added to the natural distressing gives your novapelle CS a unique vintage finish , nowhere near "regular glossy cowhide" !
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

ThatManFromRio wrote:
whipwarrior wrote:... I gave my CS novapelle the same treatment and (unwittingly) vanquished the lovely dry matte finish permanently, so now the leather looks like regular glossy cowhide ...
I think the Pecard treatment added to the natural distressing gives your novapelle CS a unique vintage finish , nowhere near "regular glossy cowhide" !
Agreed. I used regular pecards leather cream on mine and it gave it some darkness for about a day. Now it has lightened up but looks like a VERY old loved jacket. I am really digging this jacket. Mine still looks dry but it feels healthier if you get what I mean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

There's a reason for that, Chris.....

Keep in mind, once a leather surface has been 'distressed', the original surface has been cracked, so the under hide is being seen and exposed to the air.

Leather care products (like Pecards) adds moisture back to the now revealed under surfaces so the cracked fibers can now slide past each other when the jacket is flexed.

It's dark after anything is first applied, but the dressing remains on top, and the excess product evaporates from the under surface allowing it to become lighter in color again. The lubrication remains, but it will never stay as dark as the top surface because that surface no longer exists.

Have you ever rubbed your hand over the surface of a really dry/distressed leather hide and had leather dust show up on your hand? That's the hide disintegrating from no lubrication being applied to allow the fibers to flex.

So, to answer the oft asked question, 'will my distressed jacket stay dark after leather dressing is applied?' The answer is 'no', it can't, and for the reason given above......but at least it won't continue to break down due to the surface being removed and the under layers drying out.

THAT'S why 'we've' stressed always put at least ONE coat of dressing on a jacket per year so your jacket will survive for decades rather than years. ;)

Anyway, we now return you to your regularly scheduled program already in progress..... :[

Regards! Michaelson :M:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, that's a pretty accurate table. :-k

;)

Regards! M
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I KNOW! :lol:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Now that was freakin funny, thanks I needed that. :TOH:
Now I have a question, I have an old A1 jacket, goat and it's pretty stiff from storage, if I apply some Pecards, will that help break it in, that and I might check into US Wings to see if they can replace the knit cuffs and waist band. :-k
Croft :mrgreen:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Regular Pecards on stiff sturdy goat? It won't do much. You need something thinner. Pecards boot oil.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Ya know I received a free sample one time from Pecard when I bought some gel, and I used it on a pair of new boots that were stiff so to speak. One application and the were almost like I'd had them for years.
I'll try it on the jacket, but first I'll need to get some, thanks for the advice.

Croft :mrgreen:
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Hey all! My Magnoli grainy cow needs to be LC hardcore distressed. Does anyone has a method to make a new jacket look like in the movie? My dream is to obtain something like Knibs7 jacket. I have contacted him but no answer yet.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Here is my Last crusade jacket distressed as Screen accurate as possible with rusty red undertones like the original seen on screen.

Methods are guts and glory! less is more ( yeah right, not on this one. lol) and rusty brown dye.

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Perfect color. Just the right combo of dark leather and distressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Thnx bud. It's been thru the washing machine and that rinsed out the excess rust color I then redyed it with a tad browner dye. I find it very close to what I see on screen.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Holt wrote:Thnx bud. It's been thru the washing machine and that rinsed out the excess rust color I then redyed it with a tad browner dye. I find it very close to what I see on screen.
Id say about 98% accurate. I really like the distressing. I just don't have the guts to try myself...

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Chris - send it to knibs and take the worry out of the equation! The man is a miracle worker! :TOH:
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Holt, Bravo man! That IS the best jacket I've seen yet. The Last Crusade jacket is definitely my favorite of the 4 movies. I like the weight and the lighter, more distressed look. I'm desperate to order one soon. Just have to figure out whether to go pre distressed, authentic lamb or horse hyde. Which is yours again?

As for your method: did you just use light sand paper to distress, followed by rust brown dye on the sanded areas? Then a rinse cycle in washing machine and then another dye? The result is great. I was able to get a pretty similar result on my Wolverine X2 jacket.

Next thing I need is help figuring out how to decipher all the threads on how to order a good LC Jacket!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Thanks 1BAT4U! :TOH:

Mine is horsehide and it is so tough to break but once you go mad with it you can't stop.

I would have choosen lamb any day over horse IF the lamb was thick enough for my taste. No lamb from wested will ever produce the original look of the LC IF they don't just pull the trigger and source a thick lamb or smooth brown cow with a rusty belly. Novapelle might do the trick only problem is it is dull all the way. You need to splash some pecards on it to get that dull vs wet look if you know what I mean..
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

whipwarrior wrote:Chris - send it to knibs and take the worry out of the equation! The man is a miracle worker! :TOH:
Im good thanks. I just do it over time.

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

1BAT4U wrote:As for your method: did you just use light sand paper to distress, followed by rust brown dye on the sanded areas? Then a rinse cycle in washing machine and then another dye?
You're going to terrify poor Michaelson again (see chart above). :lol:
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Looks better than the movie distressing in these shots, well done. Like M I'm not fan of fake distressing but you're good at this.
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Gotta say, I love the jackets in this thread! Distressing is an art form, and you guys are true artists! On that note, is Tundrarider's distressing guide still around? I'm looking forward to the Steele & Jones LC jacket, and wanted to do my jacket up like his, but all his posts disappeared. :#:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

He left the site on January 1st of this year, and all his posts were removed by his request.

No reason was given.

Regards! M
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Photoss wrote:.....I'm looking forward to the Steele & Jones LC jacket....
Update here:
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64406" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers.-
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

....er, he drove his tank off the cliff and we've not seen him since.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I hate it when that happens. :lol:
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Apparently Wested is working on a Hero LC!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Great. Would have been nice to have one of those 10 years ago. Better late than never.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Yep!

Without saying too much, too early!

This is going to be good ;)
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

ltfoley wrote:Apparently Wested is working on a Hero LC!
I'll believe it when I see it.
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

ltfoley wrote:Apparently Wested is working on a Hero LC!
OMG I cannot wait! This is what I've been waiting for
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Kinda anticlimactic when you already own a near-perfect LC jacket, but we'll see what develops.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

whipwarrior wrote:Kinda anticlimactic when you already own a near-perfect LC jacket, but we'll see what develops.
Did you Pecard that thing yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

No. Since the weather turned blazing hot, it's been hanging in my closet alongside the novapelle. I'm afraid a good coating of Pecards will erase some of knibs fantastic distressing.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

whipwarrior wrote:No. Since the weather turned blazing hot, it's been hanging in my closet alongside the novapelle. I'm afraid a good coating of Pecards will erase some of knibs fantastic distressing.
I doubt it, it looks pretty darn distressed. I would be more concerned about the life of the jacket than some artificial scuffs. Since the surface is already pretty badly damaged, if it were me (and probably Michaelson :) ) I'd give it a nice coating.

Lucky you with blazing heat! I've been dying for some of that. We are having the longest period without sunshine Colorado has seen in 20 years. Oh well, I guess it is just a little "surprise jacket weather" as I call it.

:)

Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

whipwarrior wrote:No. Since the weather turned blazing hot, it's been hanging in my closet alongside the novapelle. I'm afraid a good coating of Pecards will erase some of knibs fantastic distressing.
Step away from the pecards. You'll loose all the hard work distressing it.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Kt Templar wrote:
Step away from the pecards. You'll loose all the hard work distressing it.
True, but if he's going for screen accurate I would think the color should trump the distressing. From comparing it to screen caps it is way too light in color since the distressing was done. Wouldn't the distressing come back shortly after a coat of Pecard's? I have done only VERY mild distressing, nothing that extreme. And now I stopped entirely and just let time do it. So as far as it taking distressing away I wouldn't really know. My point is, if SA is a concern, darken that bad boy up.

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Let alone worry about the longevity of that jacket, now that most of the protective surface has been removed, the leather will just continue to dry out until it starts to crack or flake away.

At least give it a LIGHT coating of Pecards or like product, if only to make sure you still HAVE a wearable jacket in 5-10 years.

In all the years I've been in this hobby, I've seen too many jackets that have had this done to them and left untreated fall apart because of this, and had folks PM/email me asking what they could do to reverse the process. Of course, it was too late. Like I told them at the time they DID the original 'distressing', I hoped it was an item they weren't too attached to, as now time was working against them since they decided to allow the jacket to go 'all natural' and without treatment.

Just a word to the wise.

It's your jacket to do with what ever you want. Just remember you were advised. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Of course this is too late but next time you or someone else has a pre distressed jacket they want to kill..

Put a couple pecard coats on the jacket before distressing is applied. That way it at least has some juice in the leather.

Indy's jacket never looked too dry anyways, it kinda looked like the distressed areas were blended in the darker leather..

I would definitely put a very very light coat on it. Looking at your jacket again this time around I feel knibs went alittle overboard. It may be the leather or it may be the pictures that doesn't do it's justice enough but when I look at the original I kinda feel this way. The details on the jacket rock though! :TOH:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Holt wrote:Of course this is too late but next time you or someone else has a pre distressed jacket they want to kill..

Put a couple pecard coats on the jacket before distressing is applied. That way it at least has some juice in the leather.

Indy's jacket never looked too dry anyways, it kinda looked like the distressed areas were blended in the darker leather..

I would definitely put a very very light coat on it. Looking at your jacket again this time around I feel knibs went alittle overboard. It may be the leather or it may be the pictures that doesn't do it's justice enough but when I look at the original I kinda feel this way. The details on the jacket rock though! :TOH:

Completely agree on the distressing part sadly. I also agree with the details/specs on the jacket, it looks great and the fit looks SPOT ON!!! Whipwarrior you have a REALLY nice LC ensemble! Well done! :clap:

:TOH:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Okay, twist my arm, I'll give it a Pecards bath this weekend! And if it does mute the distressing, I guess I'll be the first one in line for Wested's rumored LC Hero! So it's a win-win situation! :D
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

:TOH:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I have the inevitable feeling that Wested will be getting my money one last time. Just to be sure that it's well-spent, whoever Wested is consulting for screen accuracy (I hope to God it's a member of this forum), remember that we've got over two decades of hopes & dreams invested in this jacket, so please don't let us down.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

;)
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

whipwarrior wrote:I have the inevitable feeling that Wested will be getting my money one last time. Just to be sure that it's well-spent, whoever Wested is consulting for screen accuracy (I hope to God it's a member of this forum), remember that we've got over two decades of hopes & dreams invested in this jacket, so please don't let us down.

Paging Dr Holt...your attention is needed at Wested Leather.

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Like I said.. not saying too much ;)
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

whipwarrior wrote:I have the inevitable feeling that Wested will be getting my money one last time. Just to be sure that it's well-spent, whoever Wested is consulting for screen accuracy (I hope to God it's a member of this forum), remember that we've got over two decades of hopes & dreams invested in this jacket, so please don't let us down.

Yeah! What he said!! +1 ;)
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Make it happen, Holt. :TOH:

P.S.- I just read the Raiders Hero jacket page, and I'm thrilled at the prospect of seeing the LC jacket available on Wested's website in the near future, so MAKE IT HAPPEN!!! :TOH:

UPDATE: The deed is done. I Pecarded the LC jacket to within an inch of its life, and here is the result:

ImageImage
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Michaelson wrote:Keep in mind, once a leather surface has been 'distressed', the original surface has been cracked, so the under hide is being seen and exposed to the air.
Speaking of which, due to the LC jacket's absolutely unique appearance, I wonder if Wested will offer the LC Hero in pre-distressed form? They could simply gather an assortment of LC publicity pics and screen grabs on a bulletin board in the shop and distress each piece of leather accordingly (with ultra-fine steel wool) after the cutter hands it over, prior to being machined together. Sure, it might add to the price of the jacket, but I'd certainly be willing to pay more for an accurately distressed jacket with all the structural integrity of a new garment.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Jacket looks great! Good man!

As long as I have known and have done business with them I can safely say that wested will not offer SA distressing.

We will see if I decide to the project with them.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

whipwarrior wrote:Make it happen, Holt. :TOH:

P.S.- I just read the Raiders Hero jacket page, and I'm thrilled at the prospect of seeing the LC jacket available on Wested's website in the near future, so MAKE IT HAPPEN!!! :TOH:

UPDATE: The deed is done. I Pecarded the LC jacket to within an inch of its life, and here is the result:

ImageImage

Phew. Still looks like a lot of distressing but darn it looks SO much more screen accurate than before. I think you did great. Well done! Color is WAY closer.