Wested's HERO jacket...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: Wested's HERO jacket...

Post by Texan Scott »

No, I just meant that each person needs to decide what they want. Some will some won't. It's a choice.
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

I see. In addition to that, I'd also have to say that the Hero doesn't look good on some people whose pictures I've seen and who were also complaining about the fit. Mine fits my body shape really well and looks awesome. I got it in the goat, by the way. I don't remember the ones I saw in person about six years ago looking like this, but I only saw them fleetingly. I was blown away when I pulled mine out of that bag. Washed goat is no longer my Wested favorite.
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

Personally, I find how you wear the jacket impacts the fit a fair bit. Back on the previous page, I posted a few images of me wearing it 'in costume', and I find it sits like the Hero jacket is meant to, you can see the seams of the arms are a fair bit lower than they would be on a regular jacket, and it's 'falling' off my back a bit (not a complaint by the way; I like it looking like that, to me, that's how a Raiders jacket should look).

But when I wear it day to day, I tend to wear it forwards a bit more, and usually have an additional layer underneath (at least at the moment in the winter), like a hoodie or something. When wearing it like this, it fits much more 'traditionally', which again is ideal for day to day wear. So it may simply be a build thing, as when I'm a bit bulkier with additional layers, it fits more regularly.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Prodigal Son wrote:I see. In addition to that, I'd also have to say that the Hero doesn't look good on some people whose pictures I've seen and who were also complaining about the fit. Mine fits my body shape really well and looks awesome. I got it in the goat, by the way. I don't remember the ones I saw in person about six years ago looking like this, but I only saw them fleetingly. I was blown away when I pulled mine out of that bag. Washed goat is no longer my Wested favorite.
Got any photos? I had a Wested Goatskin from '08 and wasn't crazy about it, but heard the softer goat they replaced it with was much better.
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

Sorry. No pictures and I never could find an easy way to post them here years ago. Besides, I don't have a good camera that would capture the details anyway. No, that new goat is amazing. It really is. Lets put it this way, I told my wife, "i'm not touching this with alcohol or anything." It's amazing. Seriously. Just take my word for it. I want it to just stay looking the way it does now, and I've never said that about chrome-tanned leathers. It has all sorts of different areas with unique grain. In some parts, the finish is worn off a bit and the undertone is a bit warm, not just fleshy-gray. It's pliable and just a little bit stretchy, but you can tell it's solid, just like goat. The finish seems like it could be easily distressed with some alcohol.

By the way, Forest, do you still have that Hercules? That thing was nice.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

To members....

Many times we have questions as to what a new batch of leather actually looks like from the barn. If you receive a new jacket and want to post photos, could you also include a close up of the particular hide or skin in daylight? Certainly it would take much of the guesswork out of it. thanks! ;)
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Prodigal Son wrote:Sorry. No pictures and I never could find an easy way to post them here years ago. Besides, I don't have a good camera that would capture the details anyway. No, that new goat is amazing. It really is. Lets put it this way, I told my wife, "i'm not touching this with alcohol or anything." It's amazing. Seriously. Just take my word for it. I want it to just stay looking the way it does now, and I've never said that about chrome-tanned leathers. It has all sorts of different areas with unique grain. In some parts, the finish is worn off a bit and the undertone is a bit warm, not just fleshy-gray. It's pliable and just a little bit stretchy, but you can tell it's solid, just like goat. The finish seems like it could be easily distressed with some alcohol.

By the way, Forest, do you still have that Hercules? That thing was nice.
Thanks for the description. That does sound good. As to the Hercules, no, I sold that last year. Sadly, it fit me too big in the chest and I just didn't feel comfortable wearing it. Always on the lookout for a replacement, though... ;)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

It's been AGES!! Very busy with work!

Anyways, here is my very well broken in wested hero. I think it's 4 years old. yep, got it when I was 31, now 35.

It's starting to get very nice wear. You actually can't notice it much but it's there. Thought I contribute to the thread since it's been like, forever now!

moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Nice - is that lamb?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

auth. lamb. spotted grainy batch
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

Leigh wrote:Thank you all for the kind words regarding my situation, and the jacket advice. I can now finally share some images! Sorry it's been a while, but I've obviously had a lot on.

Having had the jacket for a while now, I love the cut and the leather, to me it really does have that 'lived in' Indy look, even without artificial distressing (all I've done is run it in the shower). I do think I ordered perhaps an inch too short, particularly in the back, and the pockets to me look oversized (this was an old problem with Wested when I was getting in to this hobby seven years ago, surprised to see it still around), but in general, I love the look of the jacket. Particularly given its sentimental value due to my various recent issues, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Today, to see what it looked like, I did a few 'full gear' shots (I'm aware my gear pales in comparison to some people's on here by the way!). I might share some more gear shots later on in the Scrapbook if people like them, but for now, I thought it was a good way to show off the general cut and look of the Shrunken Lamb jacket.

This one was a bit of fun, but I think shows off the side of the jacket quite well (although we were losing a lot of light by then):

Great looking Jacket!
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

Gorak wrote:WESTED HERO IN SHURUNKEN LAMB!
An AMAZING leather I have to say! In person, it appeared very grainy and my first thought was that it was that Veg Tanned in heavy grain. It was very soft and lightweight. It wasn`t until I began to photograph it that I was absolutely sure it was their fabled Shrunken Lamb.
Color wise? It is exactly the same as my Relic Hunter.
Softness? Same as Relic Hunter
Weight? Same as the Relic Hunter
The only difference aside from the obvious individual vender productions is that Hero is very grainy looking in the hand. I do not mean to compare the two specifically but my Relic Hunter is the only jacket in my collection that this particular Hero measures up to. But the best part was when I put it in the washing machine and ran it for half a cycle under Cold/ Delicate. Then took it out dripping wet and hung it(sleeves spread) on the fence outside in the sun. After awhile I then wrung it out and wore it a while, then layed it flat on the concrete in the sun. It as it was nearing complete dryness, it felt as if it was starting to stiffen up. I planned on getting some leather conditioner on it but wore it the rest of the evening and by nightfall, it was as soft as it was when it arrived.
The edges were crumbling a bit but I just flattened and stretched them by hand. The only part that it giving me a little problem is the pockets but I am gently working on them and they are responding well.
The really interesting part is that some areas are beggining to smooth out and, even from the beggining, you could see how, in pictures and on film, it appears smooth in some parts. I will let the pictures speak for themselves so without further ado......
Here it is before the wash.....in the bottom left hand pic is my Relic Hunter
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... x0uizz.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also notice how in different pics the color changes from light to dark....just like the RH.

Here are pure sunlight pics taken after the wash and wear with some action shots so you can see how fluid the jacket moves....

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... aebqa3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... xgyqmf.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 0y93yu.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... adsppg.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is truly a leather to experience if you are searching for a screen accurate look. Even if you just borrow someones to look at, I think you will be convinced. And I think it is only going to get better in the coming day. I am going to hit it with some sandpaper tomorrow and will post results. I was going to wait until then to show you guys but I was so smitten with today pictures that I just had to share.
exellent . where can we learn more about your washer technique?
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

There's not much to learn. You wash the jacket and let it sit out to dry. Or you throw it in the shower.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Here are some better pcitures of my 4 year old Hero in Seal brown lambskin. I love it. You can clearly see it is a dead ringer for the well of souls jacket.

All natural distressing and keeping it that way. This is going to be torn up!

whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Looks great! :TOH:
Good choice losing the beard too ;)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Hehe. Thanks! It was a work beard ;)
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

It's taken me 9 months to remember to post pictures of the Heros I now own. These are still inside shots, but I had a little time before all the natural light died, and I wanted to get some comparison photos.

Up first, a Hero in (dark?) novapelle, purchased from the bazaar.

The other Hero, a chestnut brown nappa, was purchased from Wested's Clearance Section.

The novapelle is about an inch longer in back/sleeve length than the nappa, and I think it's about perfect for me. Truthfully, if I were to ever buy a new/custom jacket from Wested, I'd be tempted to send the novapelle back so they could measure and copy it because I like it so much. Being cow, it's a heavier jacket; 3 lb, 14 oz, the heaviest I own. As the weather is becoming warmer and more Spring-like, I've taken to wearing it daily. It's not overly warm, even with its weight.

The nappa is very light in weight; 1 lb, 12 oz, and is very pliable. Nappa is usually used in car seats, so I guess it's pretty tough stuff for the weight. I've worn it around the house most of this winter, and when I want a 'dressier' leather jacket. It also feels like it's cut more trim in the body, even though it's labeled the same size. Only reason I haven't worn it more, it's got the big, black HERO JACKET panel under the interior pocket, and I've not been able to bring myself to remove it yet.

I'll admit I'm tempted to maybe try one of these in goat, but I need to thin my herd of a G&B, my oldest Todd's, and a new barnstormer-ish jacket before I do. Still, I watch the bazaar and Wested's clearance section just in case.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Both are very nice, allthough I lean towards the NP.

I know they have a lightweigth NP. Or they call it a pre-distressed lambtouch cowhide.

Very curious about that one!
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

I forgot about the lamb-touch cow. That's another option I'd consider.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

any outside shots of the nappa?

dark or medium brown in color? How does it age? have you rubbed it with sandaper on a piece that is not visible?
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

No outside shots yet. I've been under the weather this weekend, but maybe later today. It's nice out and I've got to do a little bit outside. We'll see.

I purchased it from forum-member 'Moses', he may recall which novapelle it is specifically, but I'd go with dark.

After purchasing it, I showered in it and wore it until dry to break it in and crease it to me. I may have thrown it in the dryer; I can't totally recall. I applied a good coating of Fiebing's Aussie Leather Conditioner, which had the combined effect of taking down the light, suede-like nap and rejuvenating the dried leather.

Wearing it this Spring is the first solid amount of wearing I've given it. It's very soft to the touch but feels very substantial. I don't see applying any sandpaper to it, I'm happy to let it age on its own.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

what I ment was applying sandpaper to the nappa to see how the underbelly is on the inside pocket or under the collar. Not artificially distressing the jacket.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood.

No, I've not done that. Based on how it is showing wear in the high spots, I'm assuming it will be a grayish tone.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

As allways! ;)
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Are you talking about the nappa or the novapelle?
I have a dark novapelle and I would say the undertones are more tan than grey - although really the leather seems almost dyed through.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

My question was about the nappa.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Holt wrote:My question was about the nappa.
I'm very sorry because I totally misread your earlier question. I flipped nappa and novapelle.

Clarification:

The novapelle looks like it would be gray in some light, tan in others; but like whiskyman said, it looks dyed through. Basically it just gets lighter where roughed up.

The nappa, if it follows what traditionally defines 'nappa leather' probably means it also is a dyed-through leather. Who knows? I'm guessing it's chome-tanned and will be grayish as well.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

I just got a used, BEAUTIFUL Wested Novapelle Raiders and the natural distressing it has gotten over the years shows through as brown. Very LC looking actually. Fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Words are not worth anything in this hobby. You should know that by now dude! ;)
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Wested's HERO jacket...

Post by ChrisMD »

Bad lighting but here is a hastily taken one. It's a Raiders pattern but I think it looks more like a LC/CS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Very Nice! :TOH:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Wested Raiders in Novapelle I recently got in the classifieds. LOVE it. Wore it out fishing today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

wow Chris..that looks really beautiful in the sunlight. Love the tones and texture...Good find!
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Wested's HERO jacket...

Post by ChrisMD »

Gorak wrote:wow Chris..that looks really beautiful in the sunlight. Love the tones and texture...Good find!
Thanks! I LOVE this jacket. Now I have 3 costuming jackets and one real wear jacket. However my magnoli plays both rolls as of right now. I need to slim down so I can fit into my Wings jackets better though. The extra length of the bigger size on this one REALLY comes in handy. It was crazy windy yesterday and this jacket really helped keep my warm. I plan to have it accompany me as frequently as weather and weight not being an issue allow.

The color and feel of this jacket give it a very WW2 look and feel. I am absolutely a fan. It scratches a lot of itches all at once!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Very nice bud! :TOH:
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

Texan Scott wrote:Here's that Quality Dawg in action.... :P

Love the jacket! Just the right weight and thickness for a Raiders cowhide in lambtouch, save for these mutant straps that will reach up and do a person bodily harm. :P They almost touch, kinda like una straps. :P I've been using mine for a replacement bag strap..hehe. A snip or two by leather alterations will bring balance back to the universe once again. Hightly recommended! :mrgreen:

Sometimes, you receive a jacket and you know from the first moment you try it on that it could not be any better. This one is a perect fit, and the leather sort of retains that dusty novapelle look as well.
Tex. That's it !! I had a Lambtouch before and always liked it. Durability of goat & drape of Lamb..Yours looks terrific..
ShadowX81
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by ShadowX81 »

Hey guys, newbie here. Been a long time lurker on this board (I remember visiting it back when I was in high school over 10 years ago) and somehow the web led me back here a few days ago. Just wanted to say that I've loved reading through this thread so much that I finally pulled the trigger on my first wested. Dark brown lambskin hero should be here in a few weeks! (Along with a satchel and pair of Alden 403's from ebay)

Why do I have the feeling ive been pulled into a very expensive hobby?
Last edited by ShadowX81 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Because you have!!! ;)
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

The old stock SL had a few things going for it. It was slightly thicker, was veg tanned and stiff, as Peter described the original. My only knock against it is that it was a shade on the light side, although I bet if you greased it and put it in the sun for awhile, it would darken? Anyway, several weeks back, I got an email from Wested saying that they had one last batch of old stock, stiffer darker brown SL, so I jumped on it. It made a fine jacket, really more than I expected! Added some specs and we were good to go! This will probably be my last Raiders jacket, although I may hold out for a LC from Diego. :P

pics to follow hopefully soon. :TOH:
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Do you guys know how they are sized compared to a Kelso Relic Hunter? I've owned a 40 Kelso which i sold because it was too short. Should i order a 40 for a hero? I'm between 40 and 42 chest size.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Take a tape measure and give them the exact measurement.
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Tried that before but i've problems having them answering my size concerns. Should i give them MY measurements or of one jacket i have?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

What are your specific concerns? Ordering with slightly more room than not, is a better way to go, especially since most guys put on weight and fill out as they get older, so I'd allow for that. If you care to, place the order, and enter your particulars in the 'special requests' portion of the order form. This is found when you "custom" order. The Hero's specs are standardized, so they do not offer 'special requests' on the order form for the Hero. Then send them an email, referring to the order. If I were you, and you have a real concern about chest/torso, get someone to use a tape measure, and then give your actual measurements, then tell how much slack you want built in, 2" or 4" to the chest, whatever you prefer. This last jacket is probably the best Wested has ever made for me. Give your particulars and concerns and I'm sure they will address them before they begin work. Leave nothing to chance and don't assume they will know what you want, if you don't expressly state it.

There are some specs that really define the Raiders jacket, and its better to list them, and they will tell you what they can do, or can't do.
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Thanks Texas, your advices are precious!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

A jacket is precious when you get just the one you want. ;) :tup:
Anduril
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Anduril »

Just ordered myself a Hero jacket! Was just perusing through the site as I often do and saw one in Shrunken Lamb in their clearance section in my size so bought it on impulse, saving about $100aud on a new custom order :P
I'm very confident it should fit, though the only worry is the sleeves might be 1-0.5 inches too long after reading about how it sits off the shoulders. I'm fine to take them up myself if needed but I'll wait and see.

I already own a Wested LC and ToD so it will be great to finally own all three jackets! :D

Will post up pics when it arrives. :)
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

Welp, 15 years of searching and collecting, and this is the end of the line for me. \:D/ After having chewed through my last hero jacket, which I modified in the original order to include a longer back and sleeves, I decided to take the plunge and order a standard size 38, with no modifications or additions. I think I nailed it this time :)

I have to say, in the long run, the extra inch and a half in the back, and two inches extra in the sleeves that my prior Hero sported (although I eventually had the sleeves trimmed about an inch or so), had not really proved too be too beneficial. It's been my experience that an extra inch or two here and there, and you knock that fabled Screen Accuracy right off the table, not to mention heavily compromising the functionality of the jacket with extra leather inevitably getting in the way and quite often getting snagged on door handles and the like...

So this is a Special Raiders Hero Jacket in standard lambskin, sized 38 with 23 inch back and 24 inch sleeves.
The hat is an Akubra Federation IV Deluxe
:TOH:

Last edited by Ravenswood on Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Sweet jacket there, RW! I like the grain on it too. Looks like you snagged a winner. ;) :tup:
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

Thanks Texan Scott! :D
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

One more for the road ;) ... :whip: