Correct Indy Gloves?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Correct Indy Gloves?

Post by RaidersBash »

Cannot wait to see them posted my friend! :clap:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Here are my 5 dollar cowhide gloves a several weeks later. all natural distressed by working on our car and doing other stuff. I allways have an pair extra in the car in case I need them..

they are shrunken down a size as they were pretty wide and long. they were soaked and spun several times thru the drier and I pecarded them right after I got the fit I wanted. they are now alittle shorter and tighter and fit way better.

brown trim bleached and the thumb wing cut of.

I have a few new/old style gloves incoming ( not this old style but even more detailed, ;) 6 pairs actually) I really need them as we are building our new house soon and these gloves are so wonderfull to work in pluss I really like distressing them :twisted: :whip:
Pascal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Pascal »

I have a pair from "Magnoli Clothiers" and have depainted them with 3 different leather colors from a shoe store. They should look like those in the truck scene:

So they are not dirty, but look as if they are. What do you think?
cropdustdair
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cropdustdair »

Is that some replica blood smears on the thumb area of the right glove? Looks cool! Anyone else think of doing that since that's the correct hand Indy grabs his arm with after being shot during the truck chase? That and it's the last known time he actually wears the gloves in the movie.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

REALLY nice distressing job, Pascal! :tup:
Pascal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Pascal »

cropdustdair wrote:Is that some replica blood smears on the thumb area of the right glove?
Yes. If have painted it with red-brown leather clolors on the gloves.

@All: Thank you very much. :)
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

WWIW, I found a pair of pigskin gloves at a big-box home store, they were more yellow from the start than cowhide gloves and because they were a little lighter in weight/thickness than what I used for yard work (also cowhide gloves) I gave them a shot. Also, I like the grain on them.

(They were like these: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CONDOR ... oves-3AW80" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

They had no palm reinforcement, no colored trim, and the thumb looked like what I guess is the "correct" thumb design. I applied a liberal amount of Fiebing's Aussie Leather Conditioner and they darkened up considerably. To the point that I said, these are it for me. If I'd add dirt to them, again for me, they'd be perfect.

My cowhide yard/work gloves have never really yellowed. They got darker, sure. They have a lot of dirt, and show their use, but I never saw them look "tan" like the screen gloves.

(Aside: In the link I posted, there is a color comparison between the pigskin and cowhide gloves on the right. (At least when I browsed the page and posted the link.) Colors on the web/monitor being what they are, take it with a grain of salt, but you can see a difference in leather color/texture. This is what I saw/see when looking at my different gloves.)
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Mountaineer,

Found an interesting glove leather comparison chart which some may find useful:

http://www.gemplers.com/tech/wselectgloves.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Great info :tup: . Thanks for sharing it
Cajunkraut wrote:Mountaineer,

http://www.gemplers.com/tech/wselectgloves.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

I was pressed for time when I posted my link. I went with what I did because it was the first image I found which showed how I remembered my gloves looking at time of purchase.

This chart is pretty sweet. Thanks for posting!
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Mountaineer wrote:

I was pressed for time when I posted my link. I went with what I did because it was the first image I found which showed how I remembered my gloves looking at time of purchase.

This chart is pretty sweet. Thanks for posting!
:) :tup:
Doeindy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Essex, England (Ole U.K.) were the rain forever falls. 29 mins down the road from Wested leather!

Post by Doeindy »

Anyone know where I can get a pair of Thinsulated work gloves that are Close SA; I would like a warm pair as its getting cold and damp here in England.

There is a pair on page one but after doing a lot of searching I can not find any to buy.

Paulio
Doeindy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Essex, England (Ole U.K.) were the rain forever falls. 29 mins down the road from Wested leather!

Post by Doeindy »

They are very nice Michael, but they are sold out, but good news as I have just bought a different pair. Take a look at these:

I am going to mess with them when I get them. The Thinsulate label and those plastic clips and leather loops are coming off and then they get dirty. I know they are not SA, but to be honest I just wanted some really warm close enoughs that go great with my Raiders jacket and maintain that all important Indy look.

What do you think?

Paulio.
Doeindy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Doeindy »

Well everyone.

I had them lovely clean gloves less than two hours and now they look like this lol:

Plastic clips and leather loops removed and all tags cut out. Even soaked them and hairdried them to shrink them down.

And because they are for winter; look at the warm comfy lining:

Keep up the Crusade dudes.

Paulio.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

That's a very interesting cut on those gloves. They ARE closer to the SA thumb. But I've never seen were the cut includes the index finger. It seems that would make it more comfortable especially with the added thickness of the insulation.
Doeindy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Doeindy »

Yeah the gloves are very comfortable and they do not appear much thicker; they will thin out even more through wearing them if you want more specific inches then I can ablyge. Thank you for taking an interest.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Not USA made, but the best I've found in New Old Stock 1130's. Mine are size Large.

ImageImage
Jay1138
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Jay1138 »

I have a 'hands-on' kinda job. My work gloves weather fantastically from general use, so I will be looking forward to working on my Indy gloves.
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

I thought I'd share this link, if you're UK based:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... ge_o02_s00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just an Amazon pair of gloves, but they're the 1133's without the palm patch that seems to be talked about here. Truthfully, I bought them when looking for something to resemble Indy's gloves, but without really checking what was anywhere near Screen Accurate (before I was a member here). I knew they were creamish Wells Lamonts, and found those.

They're certainly not 100% SA, no size on the outside, the thumb is squarer (keystone, I think is the term, guessing by this thread), and personally I think the cuffs are too large, even if you fold them back like Indy seems to wear them. But the lining seems to be the right colour and they have the general 'look'. It's worth saying that mine aren't exactly like in those images. The wrist stitching is a straight line for starters.

I can share images if anybody is interested, although mine have been distressed now and don't look fantastic, as it was my first attempt at anything like that.
clark.j.kent
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by clark.j.kent »

Received my 1130's last week. Finally got around to breaking them in:

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Nice job, Clark!

Where'd you find 'em?
clark.j.kent
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by clark.j.kent »

Cajunkraut wrote:Nice job, Clark!

Where'd you find 'em?
They were from eBay. Looking at your previous post, possibly from the same seller.

Rinsed and dried a few times, left in the sun, dyed with mid tan shoe polish and distressed with charcoal and dirt in the backyard.

Came out better than expected in the end.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

clark.j.kent wrote:
Cajunkraut wrote:Nice job, Clark!

Where'd you find 'em?
They were from eBay. Looking at your previous post, possibly from the same seller.

Rinsed and dried a few times, left in the sun, dyed with mid tan shoe polish and distressed with charcoal and dirt in the backyard.

Came out better than expected in the end.
Good distressing tips, and they look great. :) :tup:
JackShannon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JackShannon »

Interested in what you guys think of these Midwest Gloves model 608:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FAM9W ... 0DER&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gunn cut, straight thumb. Bought L and XL sizes. Same colors. Seem very similar to the WL 1123s.