Advantage Harrison Vs Fed IV deluxe

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Advantage Harrison Vs Fed IV deluxe

Post by Heyjude7 »

Looking into a new fed in my price range. I currently have a federation IV deluxe sz 56 and like the look and specs of the Advintage Harrison Fedora. Does anyone have them both? Which one is sturdier? What's the color comparison? Any stories? Horror or good ones. Open to any and all info on the comparison.

I read through a ton of posts about the Harrison. Jus want to see if anyone has both to compare. Thanks in advance
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Re: Advantage Harrison Vs Fed IV deluxe

Post by Indiego Jones »

Advintage HARRISON is beaver/rabbit blend.
Just for that, I'd choose the Harrison.-
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Sounds good. How different is the block, shape and color? I am really leaning toward the harrison. Might have to put my fed IV in the bazaar!
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

hey hey hey heyjude (err, might be a few hey too many)

have had Fed IV (both versions, regular and deluxe) and have Harrison. The latter wins hands down. On all accounts. Akubra are real nice hats, for a real good price. The Harrison is a notch better. Or two. imho. :TOH:
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

indyhan wrote:hey hey hey heyjude (err, might be a few hey too many)

have had Fed IV (both versions, regular and deluxe) and have Harrison. The latter wins hands down. On all accounts. Akubra are real nice hats, for a real good price. The Harrison is a notch better. Or two. imho. :TOH:
Do you have pics of the two?
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

Heyjude7 wrote:
indyhan wrote:hey hey hey heyjude (err, might be a few hey too many)

Do you have pics of the two?
Hey
Nope. My latest akubra went a long time ago...
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

i have had my Fed IV for a few years now and other then change the ribbon, its a champ! it hasnt tapered and i ahve worn it in all kinds of weather. will the Harrison be jus as strong or stronger since it is beaver blend? the color seems lighter too on the Harrison
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I have both and to me the Fed IV is a heavier hat and seems more like a cooler weather hat. The Harrison is not as thick feeling and is more of a dress hat but not real light or floppy by any means. The brown color is better on the Harrison as the Fed IV is not anywhere close to the movies hats.

Funny thing is I cannot really see much if any differences between The AdVintage Harrison and the Adventurebilt Henry except price.

Both hats are good solid lids but if you are looking for one that is more like the movie hat, the Harrison is very good for a factory hat.

Exchange rate is really good right now as well. ;)
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

Glenville86 wrote:
Funny thing is I cannot really see much if any differences between The AdVintage Harrison and the Adventurebilt Henry except price.

Both hats are good solid lids but if you are looking for one that is more like the movie hat, the Harrison is very good for a factory hat.
same here...
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

im kinda sold! Next stop Advintage Harrison!

any suggestions on sizing? true to size?

Gonna get it open crowned... love to bash my own fed!

8)
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

Heyjude7 wrote:im kinda sold! Next stop Advintage Harrison!

8)
open crowned is much more fun

be advised : Harrison runs big (i'm usuallay a 58 cm, my harrison is a 57c m and fits fine)
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

indyhan wrote:
Heyjude7 wrote:im kinda sold! Next stop Advintage Harrison!

8)
open crowned is much more fun

be advised : Harrison runs big (i'm usuallay a 58 cm, my harrison is a 57c m and fits fine)
Thank you IndyHan! i will keep that in mind when ordering!
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Does anyone know when ordering from Advintage (Germany) to the US, do we have to pay import fees? or the VAT?
8)
tedquinton
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by tedquinton »

Heyjude7 wrote:Does anyone know when ordering from Advintage (Germany) to the US, do we have to pay import fees? or the VAT?
8)
VAT definitely no. They are not payable if out side the EU. Not sure about import duties.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I have ordered from them and did not pay anything on the US side.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

It generally depends on how the vendors fills out the customs paperwork. If the hat is labeled a "gift" then usually import taxes are not imposed. If the hat is labeled as a retail sale, the import tax may be imposed.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Thank you so much gents.
Glenville86 are you stationed in Germany?
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Heyjude7 wrote:Thank you so much gents.
Stationed here as a civilian with DIA. Retired from the Army in 2006 but was stationed in Germany 1992-2003.
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Glenville86 wrote:
Stationed here as a civilian with DIA. Retired from the Army in 2006 but was stationed in Germany 1992-2003.
Nice! thank you for your service.

Did you order from advintage and have it sent to your FPO?
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Heyjude7 wrote:
Glenville86 wrote:
Nice! thank you for your service.

Did you order from advintage and have it sent to your FPO?
Yes - to my APO. The hats sit in New Jersey for weeks before being forwarded over here. :roll:
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

How long was the whole shipping process in the end?
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Heyjude7 wrote:How long was the whole shipping process in the end?
Around 7-8 weeks. The hats get to the US quickly but they just sit forever in NJ before being flown back over to my APO.

If going to the CONUS from Advintage, I would guess at least 1/2 of the wait I have or sooner.

These boxes must be sent OCONUS from NJ on a space available basis after priority mail.
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Glenville86 wrote:
Heyjude7 wrote:How long was the whole shipping process in the end?
Around 7-8 weeks. The hats get to the US quickly but they just sit forever in NJ before being flown back over to my APO.

If going to the CONUS from Advintage, I would guess at least 1/2 of the wait I have or sooner.

These boxes must be sent OCONUS from NJ on a space available basis after priority mail.
Awesome thanks for the heads up. I sent you a pm asking the same thing. But it was blank for some reason :?
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Here's my Fed IV. Sorry for the bad pics. Had to get wife to take them from home

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd15 ... mage_2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd15 ... mage_3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd15 ... mage_4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a lil dusty but pretty much in top condition! Great fedora but Might have to let this one go to the Bazaar to fund my Advintage! :(
Jacques
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jacques »

Looks like your Fed IV Deluxe has held up well. :)
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Thank you. It has! 8)
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

Heyjude7 wrote:
It's a lil dusty but pretty much in top condition! Great fedora but Might have to let this one go to the Bazaar to fund my Advintage! :(

Why sell it if you like it so much? Can't you just save up money "the hard way" or sell something else for a quick buck? Why the rush on getting an Advintage fedora in the first place? I bet the store is going to be there for a good time, enough time for you to save up the cash for a new hat. I'm just asking because i've seen a few around here who have sold their hats and regrets it after a while.

CJ
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Chiliana Jones wrote:
Heyjude7 wrote:

Why sell it if you like it so much? Can't you just save up money "the hard way" or sell something else for a quick buck? Why the rush on getting an Advintage fedora in the first place? I bet the store is going to be there for a good time, enough time for you to save up the cash for a new hat. I'm just asking because i've seen a few around here who have sold their hats and regrets it after a while.

CJ
Hey Chiliana! thanks for the suggestions. the only prob is Mrs Jude has a knipshin fit when i buy multiple things of the same item. It was an act of god to get my Nowak Raiders back in 09. the deal usually is i have to sell something to get something!? :lol:
no super rush on getting the advintage... the euro is low now so i want to take advantage of that too.
I do love the Fed IV but i am at that point for something different. If i dont like it i can always sell it and buy another Fed IV. its no biggie! 8)
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

Ah, i see :)

But sure you can get another Fed IV but the new Fed IV will never share the same stories as the old one. This is just me though. I get really sentimental when it comes to stuff like that. I've had my Fed IV since 2008 and i really just bought it just to have something for my head while i was waiting for my adventurebilt. It's been seven years now and still no adventurebilt (wow has it been that long??) but my Fed IV has been with me through that time and been with me through my ups and downs and around the world and have now gained stories no other Fed IV or Advintage or Adventurebilt (or any other hats for that matter) can ever tell.

But like i said; this is just me :)

CJ
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Chiliana Jones wrote:Ah, i see :)

But sure you can get another Fed IV but the new Fed IV will never share the same stories as the old one. This is just me though. I get really sentimental when it comes to stuff like that. I've had my Fed IV since 2008 and i really just bought it just to have something for my head while i was waiting for my adventurebilt. It's been seven years now and still no adventurebilt (wow has it been that long??) but my Fed IV has been with me through that time and been with me through my ups and downs and around the world and have now gained stories no other Fed IV or Advintage or Adventurebilt (or any other hats for that matter) can ever tell.

But like i said; this is just me :)

CJ
totally understand.i hear ya! i am like that with my TN Raiders jacket! thats my "piece" that has been to more places in the world then any other. My fed hasnt seen the same places due to not taking it out to sea with me when i made deployments on the boat. its hard wearing a fed in the Navy... i have to wear a cover (hat) all day so when i go out on liberty, i like to have my head breathe
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

Heyjude7 wrote:
totally understand.i hear ya! i am like that with my TN Raiders jacket! thats my "piece" that has been to more places in the world then any other.

That's awesome :tup:

CJ
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Chiliana Jones wrote:
Heyjude7 wrote:
totally understand.i hear ya! i am like that with my TN Raiders jacket! thats my "piece" that has been to more places in the world then any other.

That's awesome :tup:

CJ
THanks CJ 8)