Blacksheep Hat works anyone?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Marcus
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Blacksheep Hat works anyone?

Post by Marcus »

Hey everyone,

In the market for a new hat and was poking around here and over at The Fedora lounge.
I've only ever owned a Federation, which is finally showing its age.

I read some references to Blacksheep Hat Works http://www.blacksheephatworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the only reference I've found here
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57494" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anyone had a hat made by them?

Thanks

Marcus
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Blacksheep Hat works anyone?

Post by Ranger36 »

Yes indeed! My Black Sheep hat is not Indy related, I'm afraid, but it is quality work. I love it to death and wear it almost everywhere. Bob Jessee is a knowledgeable gentleman and he will make sure you get exactly what you want in a fedora. I couldn't recommend Black Sheep Hat Works enough.

Best of luck!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Wow! Those look nice! I'm going to have to put these on my radar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Bob has become my go to hatter. He's made me a custom felt; custom straw; refurbed a vintage Borsalino; and most recently rebuilt a 40's Stetson Homburg for me.

Here's the Homburg:
The brim binding is original, but Bob replaced the ribbon, installed an ostrich leather sweat band, and put in a brocade liner. Oh, he also has these little nifty metal letters for monograms but they're not visible here, mine spells out "JLEE." Bob hand dyed the ribbon for this hat. He had a spool of 2" ribbon which was a maroon color, but it wasn't matching the binding well. We agreed that a black ribbon would be fine, but a few weeks later, he sent me the pics with the new ribbon which he had dyed to better compliment the hat.

This is the custom beaver felt he made me:

It's also one of his hand dyed felts in oxblood. He dyed two seperate bodies for the project. In short, he goes above and beyond. My Milan straw is also a hand dyed "black walnut" which looks great as well. He offers different finishing options like longhair and satin finishes that not everybody can offer, and he does westerns too. Can't say enough good things about him, and his prices among the custom hatters out there is very reasonable. He's bent over backwards to make sure I was happy with my purchases. When I asked him for a recommendation on a stiffener for my straw, he told me to send it back and he'd do it at no cost. Top notch, all the way.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Beautiful hats! I really like the homburg.

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

I poked around and did some googling. Those are really good looking hats and reviews are positive! I would go for it.

jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

More pics and reviews via the fedora lounge: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... -Hat-Works" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tedquinton
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by tedquinton »

Have a look on his Facebook page, some really amazing hats.