yankee doodle dandy

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

yankee doodle dandy

Post by Gorak »

I was curious what the Indygear community's general opinion was on the "feather in the hat" look. I begin to think it is a really cheesy idea as that is what I see in general cheap retail hats but then, when I pop one into the bow, I kinda like the way it looks.....
I seen to recall reading in one of the original Raiders novelizations that Indy's was described as having a small feather......
Opinions?
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: yankee doodle dandy

Post by WConly »

I remember reading (on this site somewhere) portions of the original screen play for 'Raiders' where it's described that Indy has a feather in his hat too. Sounded a bit odd to me, at the time and obviously was dumped prior to finalization of the script, but who knows as feathers were not that uncommon in those days and still aren't on many hats that one sees in display adds for fedoras, etc. The only hats I do leave my feathers in are my wool tweed Irish walking hats and the like, as I actually kind of like them. However I would not want one in any of my fedoras. Just my little quirks, I guess. W>
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Not a fan of feathers myself.

BUT, I also remember it was in the ROLA early script draft that there's a reference to Indy having a feather in his hat. When Indy, Baracca and Satipo are making their way to the temple, Indy pulls out his piece of the map that was rolled and tucked in the quill of the feather in his hat.

I think there's also some pre-production sketches showing them walking through the jungle that includes Indy with a long feather in his hat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Don't wear them myself. Whenever a hat I bought in the 70s and 80s had one I'd remove it because I thought it looked silly.

When I was younger I had several hats that belonged to an uncle who died when I was 4 - then my grandfathers old Open Road - none of which had feathers in them. I didn't know anyone who wore one either.

I know that symbolically they are meant to show that the wearer has done something significant or courageous, or was a person of importance. That's not my personality.

Never gave much thought to it in the Indiana Jines context, but it would square with the original "roguish womanizer" image he was originally going to exhibit and its removal woukd square with making him a bit more reserved about his achievements and ultimately just a "tenured professor of archaeology."
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Back in the 60's we had them on our 'stingy brim' fedoras, and they were quite stylish.

I don't wear them on mine now either, but I sure liked them on those particular hats 'back in the day'.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Exactly, I always associate a feather with a stingy brim fedora.

I found the picture I mentioned. It's on page 25 of The Complete Making book. Indy's hat is shown with a large (possibly) eagle feather.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I don't think that's a feather. No where else in any of the drawings is there a feather. I think that might be a arrow.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

A hovito blow dart maybe. Satipo could have tasted the dart stuck in Indy's hat.
Last edited by Jeremiah on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

From this version of the script. http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/Raid ... ostArk.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

I keep a Cardinal & Flicker feathers on my fedora. I think it looks good.