Are you willing to get your fedora dirty?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Yes--if Indy's fedora can take a beating, why not mine?
51%
No--no way! It's a collectors item, I want to keep it pristine.
8%
Both--I have multiple lids, so I have the best of both worlds!
41%

Total votes: 37

Jacques
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jacques »

I've been pondering this thought as I have a racing event coming up where I'll dress up as Indy. Just a little background: last year, I participated in the Sandmine Challenge, which is a obstacle course race all inside a mine (http://sandminechallenge.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). My friend and I dressed up as Lara Croft and Indiana Jones respectively. Pic below is post-race:

The fedora I wore that day (Dorfman) got sand, mud, water, and stayed on my head except when I intentionally threw it ahead of me when I crawled through a tunnel. After the race, we got compliments for our costumes, even some thinking we were hired by race organizers to dress like we did. :p

Anyways, I want to hear from you all how you like to treat your fedora(s)! I'm pondering if I want to give my Federation IV Deluxe a beating.
Last edited by Jacques on Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Are you willing to get your fedora dirty?

Post by Charybdis »

Well since I only have one lid now, I do not want to get it dirty. But that will change once I get another lid. I will let my Fed IV get dirty.
Jacques
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jacques »

Charybdis wrote:I will let my Fed IV get dirty.
That's what I'm pondering now with my Fed IV Deluxe. :) I read somewhere, maybe here, that someone got his Fed IV all soaked up and crushed, and was easily put back into shape. So it seems they can handle the abuse.
zaynecarrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zaynecarrick »

If I ever get my Adventurebilt Raiders, I'll keep it in as good a condition as I can. The Dorfman Pacific one that I have for the meantime is more than disposable for abuse.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I voted the 1st choice. I trim branches using a pole saw while wearing my AB raiders in beaver if that tells you anything.
One day I will be able to vote the 3rd option though.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Since I have only one fedora (and a rare, irreplaceable one at that), I'm not anxious to get it dirty, however I once gave it a good dusting-up for Dragon-Con, using some powder dirt from Texas (home of Indy's sunset ride in Last Crusade). Several years later, a good friend of mine visited Petra, Jordan, and (at my request) gathered a bag of red dirt from the Canyon of the Crescent Moon--the most worthy dust in the world--which I will someday use to distress my HJ Crusade fedora. :TOH:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Nice.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

A good beater, such as a Fed, Christy, etc., is good in a pinch. Then you have one for normal wear, and one that you don't mind "dressing it up" to look the part. Just a suggestion. ;)
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

As I get older and older, I find that there is no need or fun or value (my personal opinion only of course) to baby any of my gear.....the longer I own the hat the more relaxed I get with its care and the rougher I am with it.....and the funny thing is....the more I love the hat and the more it looks like what I see n Raiders. Now, mind you, I would not feel the same with low quality hats as they will shrivel up to what witch hats they originally were but with most of our offerings, the hat will just relax and scrunch itself up into an Indy hat then you can ever try to create!
So yes, I treat my hats very rough and just dust them off on my leg, pop it to n my head and keep going....
\:D/
Jacques
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jacques »

Texan Scott wrote:A good beater, such as a Fed, Christy, etc., is good in a pinch. Then you have one for normal wear, and one that you don't mind "dressing it up" to look the part. Just a suggestion. ;)
Well, I was thinking of getting a Penman (had emailed John about one sometime ago). This would then give me a good excuse to uh, "distress" the Fed. :D
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

You got to watch out for rain, though! I had a nice-ish pure rabbit fur fedora several years ago. Got caught in a rain storm. It shrunk to the size of a beanie. Gave it to Good Will, hoping a kid could wear it.

Beaver fur, I assume, shouldn't be as much of an issue.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I keep looking at the choices given in the survey, and really can't mark one that makes me totally comfortable. :-k

I use mine and it gets dirty.....but then I give it a good brushing and it looks pristine again for dress wear. Occasionally I send it out for a cleaning and reblock, and it starts all over again..... so it's the best of both worlds, but can be done with one hat if you so desire.

Regards! Michaelson
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Heck, I bought one in rabbit specifically to keep it Streets of Cairo dirty. That's the "gear" lid. :whip:
IndyJedi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyJedi »

I wear mine often in both the heat and cold. It's been to Disneyworld and stuffed under ride seats and crammed in lockers at Universal studios, taken on airplanes and worn on hikes. The ribbon has even discolored due to sweat from wearing it in the summer. The 'worse' it gets the better I like it. ;)
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

If it happens, it happens.

My Garrison hat is only worn with nicer clothing, or places I won't begin to get dirty.

My Steele and Jones Bridge Scene hat...I will wear with whatever, and have taken it on the trail once.

My Fed IV I hike in, camp in, explore, etc. Cheapest of my hats, so I don't sweat it if it gets dirty...at least not as bad.
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

I have to agree with both Michaelson and Gorak. I don't baby my Penman Raiders, I have worn it for 2 1/2 years and have had it reblocked once by John. It has only gotten better with age.

That being said, I won't cringe if it gets dirty, but I will brush it off as soon as I can.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I definitely am with you guys. One question. I never had a reblock done yet, but will it lose its character with a reblock? Really like how mine is looking and would hate to lose that one day, but if it means no taper (when it does happen) then that is a fair trade I guess.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I marked Both with a caveat.

I don't baby my fedoras, but I don't use them for camping/hiking/spelunking, etc. I have a range of other hats for that depending on the specific activity. My fedoras are for everyday wear with street clothes.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

As you can tell by my avatar…or the write up on the main site…my AB has been in the Huleia Stream (twice) and through the red clay dust of Kauai. My CS AB is treated a little more tenderly, but don't mind having it out in the elements either.
Jacques
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jacques »

Great responses so far and thanks! OK, so I read so far that rabbit tends to shrink. On my Fed IV Deluxe, it's a combination rabbit/hare. Not sure if that makes it any more resilient to shrinkage, but especially for you Akubra owners out there, how have your lids held up when it got wet?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The hare blend does indeed slow the shrinkage problem.

Regards !Michaelson
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

More dense?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

From what I was told by Akubra years ago, the wild hare fur is less prone to shrink like domestic rabbit hair.

Regards! M
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

My understanding of the felting has to do with the the 'barbs' that are on the fur. Wild hares have more barbs/coarse fur so the the fur felts tighter than domestic rabbit fur.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That's a more succinct way of putting it. :TOH:

Regards! M
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

It's from living in the bush picking up all them sand Spurs.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:lol:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

My Fed III has gotten pretty wet, and it has certainly shrunk some. It now has a noticeable taper and has shrunk down a full size. I would recommend getting a loose fit Federation if you are considering one.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Need I say more

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UNt69cBPCPI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

:clap:
But,
Why does the beaver get to have all the fun? :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

BendingOak wrote:Need I say more

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UNt69cBPCPI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've seen that video demo of yours before, John, and no matter HOW many times I see it, it makes my heart stop! :shock:

:lol: :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Michaelson wrote:

I've seen that video demo of yours before, John, and no matter HOW many times I see it, it makes my heart stop! :shock:

:lol: :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
I have had so many people tell me that. Bulldog tuff.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
wilbyc82
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wilbyc82 »

Appreciate that it's down to personal preference, but I love my fedora to be dirty. Not happy with it otherwise. It's taken a real beating since I got my beloved lid and it's responded well, kept a great shape and captured some of the unique Raiders characteristics ;-)
Jacques
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jacques »

^^^Awesome condition of all your gear! :clap:
Forrest For the Trees wrote:I would recommend getting a loose fit Federation if you are considering one.
I got my Fed IV Deluxe a little bigger than what I'm used to (58cm/7 1/4-3/8...I'm more 57cm/7 1/8). Maybe I DO want it to shrink some! :D

One day, John...I must order one of your lids! :notworthy:
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I'm in the multiple hat category too and I voted that way. I have a penman beaver and a Delk beaver on the way, both of which I would not get dirty. But I do a lot of outdoor stuff and I wanted a hat I could use in that way so I bought a rabbit Garrison on sale and that's the one I use for outdoors.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Jacques wrote:Great responses so far and thanks! OK, so I read so far that rabbit tends to shrink. On my Fed IV Deluxe, it's a combination rabbit/hare. Not sure if that makes it any more resilient to shrinkage, but especially for you Akubra owners out there, how have your lids held up when it got wet?
At the end of the day you could put a hat spreader in your hat to keep it from shrinking.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

I have a FedIV that I wear daily,will get sweaty and dirty...I have an AB that will never be taken out the box it was shipped in..Ive worn it maybe 2hrs in 3 years since buying it.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

youngjedi71 wrote:I have a FedIV that I wear daily,will get sweaty and dirty...I have an AB that will never be taken out the box it was shipped in..Ive worn it maybe 2hrs in 3 years since buying it.

Why? Wear that hat.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

BendingOak wrote:
youngjedi71 wrote:I have a FedIV that I wear daily,will get sweaty and dirty...I have an AB that will never be taken out the box it was shipped in..Ive worn it maybe 2hrs in 3 years since buying it.

Why? Wear that hat.
lol...I just can't..it means so much to me.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Jedi, you don't even have it on a hat stand for display?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It would mean more if you wore it. JMO, though.

Enjoy it how ever you decide works best for you....but as I've aged, I've found the saying 'life is short' means more to me than it used to. Who is going to wear it out for you when you're gone, as you didn't get to enjoy it? Pull it out and use it is my advice. It will become an old friend, and it can be rebuilt over and over again.

I have a couple AB's in my regular rotation that I've had for almost 10 years now, and they're better now than they were when I first got them, if you can believe that. They just get better with wear and use.

Anyway, we're wandering away from the original topic. :[

Sorry. :TOH:

Regard! Michaelson
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

I have several that I wear regularly. One or two that I wear a lot, and a few that rarely get worn. I find that the ones I wear a lot mean a lot more to me than the ones that hide in the dark and never come out to play. Wear it, brush it off, straighten it up if it gets out of shape, and it will become like your favorite pair of jeans or those tennis shoes you just can't stand to get rid of.

As said above - life is short and fleeting. The "stuff" you value so much but never use will probably end up in a yard sale or in a goodwill box someday because it's not part of any fond memory your survivors might have. The only chance a hat has of being treasured after you're gone is if it become so much a part of you and their memories of you that your family will be unable to part with it because it was "yours." :TOH:
Last edited by Ridgerunner58 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

With just a little tlc, your AB should last you a life time. Every hat owner should own a hat brush. Brushing you hat dies two things. Keeps lint, dirt off your hat and keeps the nap tight. Tighter the nap, better for holding up from shrinking and tapering. If you hat gets wet. Let it sit over night to dry. Handle your hat from the brim not the front pinch or crown. Here's one that should be done anyway but wash your hands more often.
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Hey John, the tip you just gave about handling the hat by the brim and not the pinch is interesting to me.

The hat you made for me, the beaver but reacts like rabbit done with your 'new process'...very moldable...etc...when I hold it by the brim it folds over in my hand...and then I have to reshape the brim.

Thoughts? Advice?
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

Jeremiah wrote:Jedi, you don't even have it on a hat stand for display?
nope..leaving it out it collects dust,lint etc..so it stays in the box..
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

car96 wrote:Hey John, the tip you just gave about handling the hat by the brim and not the pinch is interesting to me.

The hat you made for me, the beaver but reacts like rabbit done with your 'new process'...very moldable...etc...when I hold it by the brim it folds over in my hand...and then I have to reshape the brim.

Thoughts? Advice?
Handling the hat by the pinch can weaken the felt in that area and cause it to crack or fray. Also the oils and sweat from your fingers may discolor the felt. You should remove the hat and put it on by holding the brim close to the crown, either with one hand or both. Grabbing it close to the ribbon will prevent what you have described. :TOH:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I understand the why, but find it ironic that our hats can be sat on, stomped on, thrown about but that front pinch creates a no touchy zone.
alex1152
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by alex1152 »

youngjedi71 wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:Jedi, you don't even have it on a hat stand for display?
nope..leaving it out it collects dust,lint etc..so it stays in the box..
Why don't you get a display case then? I'm sorry but I think its pretty dumb that you just have it sitting in a box, I know it's an expensive item but come on...at least show it off, put it in your living room or in your office, anywhere you can see it everyday and be proud of having it.

But if you don't have intentions of making a profit in the future with the hat just wear it.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Jeremiah wrote:I understand the why, but find it ironic that our hats can be sat on, stomped on, thrown about but that front pinch creates a no touchy zone.
Let's not forget, rolled up and stuffed in a suitcase, run over by a car, crushed in a folding car seat and mauled by grandchildren with sticky hands. :shock:

I think its the repeated creasing especially right at the top of the front crease. I know I managed to get a small hole in my grandfather's old Open Road by handling it too much in that area. :(