Who makes the Toughest Raiders?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Golden boy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Who makes the Toughest Raiders?

Post by Golden boy »

What is the toughest Raiders like Indy jacket out there?

I have read through so many threads im not sure up from down at the moment...

I dont have a budget for multiple jackets sadly.

I need a jacket I can dress up or down.
A jacket I can wear in all conditions.
Something that is as SA as it is tough and durable.

I have around $1000 budget.

Whats the best made and toughest yet most SA to raiders?

I see that US wings makes a raiders Bison hide. I have read Bison is stronger than cowhide, it has more sheepskin look than regular cowhide, but dont have any idea on how true that is.

ty

-joshuah
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Who makes the Toughest Raiders?

Post by backstagejack »

For $1000 dollar budget you can get the toughest Raiders jacket out there.

I'd suggest maybe a Bill Kelso Horsehide?

Of if you can find it a Tony Nowak in a goat or horsehide.

Those are the top two I'd suggest.

Wested has some decent selections out there and you can also get it custom in whatever leather you want.

Either way with a budget of $1000 you won't have a problem finding one.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Well, you are likely to get as many answers to your question as there are members here.

The biggest challenge you are facing is getting the toughest jacket that's also very SA. For SA you need to go lamb and that's not the toughest leather out there. But once you start moving into other heavier leathers like cow or horse, you are going to loose out on what you see on screen.

I owned a USW Legend in bison and loved the jacket. It felt bullet proof, but was far from SA in terms of how the leather looked. I didn't keep it long enough for it to properly break in, but I doubt it would ever drape like the jacket does in ROLA. Pictures can be found in this thread http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... n&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the closest to SA, toughness and at the price point you mentioned I would recommend the Gibson & Barnes Exposition in goat. You'll get the closest to lamb you can get in terms of texture and drape, a good cut for a ROLA jacket, and and a far stronger leather for real world wear.

In fact, I sold the USW Bison in order to fund the purchase of a G&B Expo in goat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

+1 for the G&B Expo in goat. :) :tup:

It just so happens that G&B is running a 15% discount on all leather jackets through January 31st using promo code LEATHER15:

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Golden boy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Golden boy »

Indiana Jeff wrote:
You'll get the closest to lamb you can get in terms of texture and drape, a good cut for a ROLA jacket, and and a far stronger leather for real world wear.

In fact, I sold the USW Bison in order to fund the purchase of a G&B Expo in goat.

Indiana Jeff

How has your goat held up?
In terms of break in and being weather resistant.
As tough as the bison?
What about comfort and warmth factor?

Any pics of the goat?

Ty

-j
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

G&B Goatskin!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Golden boy wrote:

How has your goat held up?
In terms of break in and being weather resistant.
As tough as the bison?
What about comfort and warmth factor?

Any pics of the goat?

Ty

-j

A couple of pictures in this thread on page 4. http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... po#p841798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Expo I have has been back and forth through at least 4-5 owners and doesn't have a popped stitch. It's nicely broken in, but it's been worn by a bunch of guys over the years. Hard to compare directly with the bison since the bison was new and still pretty stiff when I sold it, but I would put the G&B up to any conditions without hesitation.

As far as warmth, I'd say it's as warm as any uninsulated leather jacket is going to be. No Indy style jacket is a winter coat. I can fit a layer underneath if I feel the need, but in general I wear my Indy coats from mid-60s down to mid-40s. Below that I have other coats I prefer.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I, too, would vote G&B, but after owning and 'breaking in' a Wings 'roo Legend, it's by far the toughest jacket I've run across, hands down.

Light as lambskin, virtually water proof to date, and almost refuses to be broken, even after application of Pecards leather dressing. All you can do is just keep wearing it until it decides to play nice. ;)

Amazing material, 'roo skin. I'm impressed.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

D'oh! #-o Of course, the USW kangaroo Legend would be an excellent choice.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

+1 on the G&B Goatskin Exposition. They're on sale until Jan. 31st. I haven't owned one, but everything I've read on this board points to that jacket as being closest to screen accurate and being super tough. I'd rather spend under $500 (sale price) on the G&B instead of $1000 on the Kangaroo Wings. I like the pattern on the G&B better and the zipper is on the proper left side.
:Plymouth:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, just as a point of information, I was one of those 3 people involved with the creation of the G&B Expedition back in 2000-01 they mention in the write-up on their company page. I've owned several over the years, and still have 2 of the prototypes in my closet that I wear on occasion.

I love the Expo, and always will.

On the specific question at hand, though, what would be considered the 'toughest' Raiders jacket and in the price range he posts, the USW 'roo is still the one that meets that criteria, hands down.

In the leather industry, kangaroo hide is at the top of the heap when it comes down to leather durability and strength, WELL over goat and horsehide. The jacket is also made by Schott. It checks all the boxes required in this inquiry. G&B goatskin is a close second. :TOH:

If you're going by price, the G&B is absolutely the best price of the two, but since you made $1000 your limit, then the USW meets all your criteria.

Bison is a wonderful hide too, and extremely tough....but HEAVY!!!! Had one of those too when they first came out. I gave it to another member here.

All that said, that's just my opinion and worth the price of a cold cup of coffee to most folks. ;)

Regard! M :M: :tup:
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

I have a BK horsehide. I love everything about it :) But all the suggestions are great. Michaelson, remember the kevlar lined jacket US Wings used to sell? That'd be pretty cool to have a US Wings kangaroo, kevlar lined, with pockets for ceramic armor :)
Golden boy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Golden boy »

Michaelson wrote:Well, just as a point of information, I was one of those 3 people involved with the creation of the G&B Expedition back in 2000-01 they mention in the write-up on their company page. I've owned several over the years, and still have 2 of the prototypes in my closet that I wear on occasion.

I love the Expo, and always will.

On the specific question at hand, though, what would be considered the 'toughest' Raiders jacket and in the price range he posts, the USW 'roo is still the one that meets that criteria, hands down.

In the leather industry, kangaroo hide is at the top of the heap when it comes down to leather durability and strength, WELL over goat and horsehide. The jacket is also made by Schott. It checks all the boxes required in this inquiry. G&B goatskin is a close second. :TOH:

If you're going by price, the G&B is absolutely the best price of the two, but since you made $1000 your limit, then the USW meets all your criteria.

Bison is a wonderful hide too, and extremely tough....but HEAVY!!!! Had one of those too when they first came out. I gave it to another member here.

All that said, that's just my opinion and worth the price of a cold cup of coffee to most folks. ;)
Regard! M :M: :tup:
what is your go to Indy jacket then?

since I will have to buy a liner for it, (alpacca) to wear in this cold, my top end is probably closer to 700-800 now.

I may also be flexible on SA...I like the cowhide US wings signature series for $540.
I realize its not goat or lamb, but its reliable and im not sold on the rib markings on the goat ive seen.

-j
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Since your adding alpaca lining to the jacket, you may want something a bit oversized, like the US Wings Signature jackets. They are less screen accurate, although the Vintage Cowhide is a pretty good rendition of the Crystal Skull jacket, and it is on sale for under $500.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

My go to jacket this winter has been the 'roo Indy, and has been since I got it....with the exception of the week when we had that Artic clipper pass through here....then I went to my prototype HH USW jacket. I needed the extra weight against the cold.
Yep, the Kevlar Indy's were interesting, weren't they?
Regards! M
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I can see wanting a tough jacket, especially if you're trying to buy just one for the ages. But, what do you think you'll be doing in it, or, using for, really?

Any of these jackets discussed above are well constructed heirloom quality jackets, in any hide, really. Unless you're doing heavy work in them, the only issues you'll likely ever have would be keeping them clean/conditioned and replacing the liners.

Look at some vintage A-2's for examples.

The Kelso horsehides look just awesome. Tough, but I understand very soft, contrary to what you'd expect.

But, to just have one, I'd probably go for the 'roo, too! And the Legend is a step above the Signature Series for screen accuracy. Again, IMO. :D
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

...Y....'roo hide..? Isn't it just a bigger rabbit? :P

There are a few things to consider with your purchase. A jacket (or anything for that matter) is only as strong as its weakest point, and that would be thread, stitching. If the seams and stitching were internal and not external, then you would almost have to find the toughest hide, which would be a no-brainer, the overgrown rabbit. But since the seams and stitching are exposed, well, it opens the field a bit. I personally, don't like a hide that is super stiff, like beef jerky... [-X But a good balance is durable plus pliable. I don't know about BK's HH, does anyone else? But I do know the G&B goat is really one of my favorites, because the goatskin is so soft, meaning it wears easy, and it is durable.

If you are looking for tough, just get an iron suit from Stark Industries and call it good! :P
Golden boy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Golden boy »

Texan Scott wrote:...Y....'roo hide..? Isn't it just a bigger rabbit? :P

There are a few things to consider with your purchase. A jacket (or anything for that matter) is only as strong as its weakest point, and that would be thread, stitching. If the seams and stitching were internal and not external, then you would almost have to find the toughest hide, which would be a no-brainer, the overgrown rabbit. But since the seams and stitching are exposed, well, it opens the field a bit. I personally, don't like a hide that is super stiff, like beef jerky... [-X But a good balance is durable plus pliable. I don't know about BK's HH, does anyone else? But I do know the G&B goat is really one of my favorites, because the goatskin is so soft, meaning it wears easy, and it is durable.

If you are looking for tough, just get an iron suit from Stark Industries and call it good! :P

Do any of you goat herders have pics of yer goat jackets for me to get my eye prints on already!!

-j

p.s. thank you all for the input and suggestions!!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

This is the most comprehensive thread you'll find about the Expo.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... hilit=expo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Texan Scott wrote: A jacket (or anything for that matter) is only as strong as its weakest point, and that would be thread, stitching. If the seams and stitching were internal and not external, then you would almost have to find the toughest hide, which would be a no-brainer, the overgrown rabbit. But since the seams and stitching are exposed, well, it opens the field a bit.
Since both the G&B and USW jackets are 'mil-spec' as both companies supply the U. S. Military, the seams have never been an issue. Either way you go here is right, even if stitching is a concern. I've NEVER had a seam fail on either manufacturers jacket in the decades I've worn them, and I've worn them, and worn them hard, in all weathers, including frog drowning thunderstorms and deep snow blizzards. No problems what so ever. If it is a concern, I run Pecards leather dressing down the seams as I treat the jacket for even more protection from any type seepage, but it's never been a problem.

That said, though, these jackets were NEVER intended to be used as rain gear.....but in the case of 'roo or goat, they can do nicely in a pinch....and most CERTAINLY the 'roo. It's the weirdest leather in that respect I've ever owned.

Over Christmas I changed out a headlight bulb on my eldest daughters car in a steady rain. Took about 20 minutes. I came inside, took a paper towel and wiped off the 'roo jacket. It just wiped off, and the leather was dry as a bone underneath, as no rain had penetrated the hide. :shock: Still not quite used to that. :-k

....and yes, a 'roo is just a 'big rabbit' that will kick the stuffing's out of you if you get too close. ;)

Regards! M
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Overall I think G&B does a better job with the back pleats and back panel and captures the Raiders look better than US Wings. Their goat is great stuff. The US Wings roo sounds interesting, but I don't have any personal experience other than roo bullwhips. Definitely tough. If you'd rather cowhide, I imagine G&B would accommodate a special order... at least they used to.
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

I thought I'd try and comment here too, although I'm far from having anywhere near the expertise everybody else here has. I've only owned one jacket for seven years, and it's a Wested Horsehide. Now, I know Wested doesn't have the same reputation as G&B and US Wings for build quality (and correct me if I'm wrong, but they're cheaper in comparison which reflects this?) but I've worn my HH as my 'daily' jacket ever since, and it's held up very well. Doubtlessly it's not as tough as 'Roo hide going off what has been said here, but it is soft, comfortable and seems to be a very good screen accurate colour.

Seven years later and it's only showing marginal signs of distress, on the sleeves, and the odd location on the seams (which have held perfectly). I also literally do use it as a raincoat. Water just washes straight off it, never seems to fully soak in, and has never gotten through the jacket, and I've worn it in some pretty severe rain storms.

The reason I suggest this is simply as an alternative because it is a very tough, good looking hide (and I imagine is equally so in US Wings HH or G&B, if they offer it, you don't have to order Wested!).

However, I also think it's worth asking yourself when and where you'll be wearing this jacket. Even in England, where the weather is defaulted to 'wet and miserable', I can't wear my HH all year round. In the Summer, it's simply too hot to wear a heavy leather jacket, and I have a few lighter, non-Indy jackets I wear in variation depending on the temperature. With your budget, and if you want to wear an Indy jacket all year round, I wonder if it's worth considering buying two of the slightly 'cheaper' options, one in a light leather, one in a heavy, to vary over the year? (When I say cheaper, I mean things like Wested, although I'm not sure how much they cost to import if you're not in the UK).

This might be crazy talk! As I said, it comes from somebody who owns one jacket, and everybody else in this thread is far more experienced than me, but I thought I'd offer it up as a thought.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Golden boy wrote:What is the toughest Raiders like Indy jacket out there?

I have read through so many threads im not sure up from down at the moment...

I dont have a budget for multiple jackets sadly.

I need a jacket I can dress up or down.
A jacket I can wear in all conditions.
Something that is as SA as it is tough and durable.

I have around $1000 budget.

Whats the best made and toughest yet most SA to raiders?

I see that US wings makes a raiders Bison hide. I have read Bison is stronger than cowhide, it has more sheepskin look than regular cowhide, but dont have any idea on how true that is.

ty

-joshuah
Joshua,
We make custom Raiders jackets, with a high level in screen accuracy.
Also we are offering the jacket on a beautiful cowhide leather as an option, top notch quality.

And we are on the U$D 400.- approx budget.

Send me an e-mail so I can give you more details and HD pictures of our offering. (pedidos@steele-jones.com.ar)
Cheers.-
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, as before when questions like this are asked, we're shifting away from folks just answering the specific question to folks posting favorites of owners/members, which is to be expected. We all have our favorites in our 'stable'. :lol: :

The simple answer is either 'roo/horse/goat (in that order, but HH just a hair above goat due to thickness) for toughness, and after that cowhide on the 'toughness' scale.

It's then your call on maker, as just about everyone makes/sells them under $1000, and each and every manufacturer has it's own 'pros and cons'.

As posted above me, you can even go custom rather than 'off the rack' in that price range but have to consider what material you're wanting to have the jacket made from. As noted, the suggested material is cowhide. I imagine the price may vary if you go with goat or a like material if offered, but that's just a guess on my part. It usually is....so there's all KINDS of discussion on that topic. ;)

So in a nutshell, there's the answer. Good luck! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Golden boy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Golden boy »

Thanks everyone!

Lol
looks like I will be getting at least 2 or 3 jackets now.
Thinking US wings sig series for winter. Then a yet to be determined summer fall version...goat or maybe even lamb after seeing Gmans and Grekos.

So much for having only one.

Next discussion will need to be on how to justify to the wife...or do I tell her they're all the same jacket, "it's just the lighting babe"

-GB
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Friend, if you figure THAT one out, be sure to share your secret with us! :Plymouth:

:lol:

HIGH regards! M
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

If you just look at a kangaroo, it seems one of the most unlikely of animals to have tough skin. I mean, it just doesn't look the type. Now, Armadillo jackets, horned toad, rhino, elephant...these are tough hides...along with a man who has been married for more than 30-40 years. Now, THAT is a tough hide! ;)

:TOH: :TOH: ....two hats in salute of just being to cohabit with each other. :P
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Texan Scott wrote:....along with a man who has been married for more than 30-40 years. Now, THAT is a tough hide! ;)

:TOH: :TOH: ....two hats in salute of just being to cohabit with each other. :P
Thanks, but you're NOT making a jacket out of ME just yet. [-(

:TOH:

Regard! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Come to think of it, we've not really discussed michaelson hide as a jacket option....?

kinda' makes you go hmmm....:-k
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Michaelson wrote:
It's then your call on maker, as just about everyone makes/sells them under $1000, and each and every manufacturer has it's own 'pros and cons'.
Regards! Michaelson

Wow, just checked the price on the 'roo hide though..... 1200 smackers !!! :shock:

I suppose it's worth it though ......
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

WOW! The price jumped as we were warned it would!!! I hadn't looked for a while. :shock:

Ok, that takes the 'roo out of the running if trying to stay under $1000! :-

I guess folks should have jumped at the chance when they were originally posted for pre-order at $695. ;)

Regards! M
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

There was a recent 3 day sale around New Years for $795 for the roo hides at Wings. For anyone not already on their mailing list, if you're looking for something specific to go on special, it's a good idea to sign up.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Good tip, IJ. Thanks.

I did touch bases with David Hack yesterday, mentioning I wasn't aware the price had jumped, and he said it sure did....in a BIG way, and it was slated to go up yet again.

He said the company he gets the hides from in Australia can make a LOT of soccer shoes and balls from the amount of material it takes to make one jacket, so they're not going to let him have the hide to send to Schott at any kind of a discount.

Regards! M