Share your Indy Guns!

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Re: Share your Indy Guns!

Post by ChrisMD »

Sold the Kalash/es I had. But the other two are my list for sure.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

ChrisMD wrote:Sold the Kalash/es I had.
:| [-(
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Well, now that you mention it, I happen to have 2 carbines (not GI, unfortunately) and 2 AKs.

I have an IAI M1 carbine wearing a paratrooper stock and another made by Natl Ord Inc (no longer in business). The AKs are a milled 47 from Arsenal and a stamped 74 from Waffen Werks- neither one is currently wearing wood stocks so I won't bother posting, but I might get around to adding some M1 pics as soon as I finish my list of honey-dos around the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Here's my SMG configured like the M1928s in KOTCS. On top is an airsoft M1A1, just to show how accurate to the real deal those can be.

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

cm289 wrote:Image

Here's my SMG configured like the M1928s in KOTCS. On top is an airsoft M1A1, just to show how accurate to the real deal those can be.

VERY VERY VERY nice! Guessing it is a new Auto Ordinance that you SBR'd? Always wanted to do that and make an M41A Pulse Rifle from Aliens.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Share your Indy Guns!

Post by cm289 »

Nope, it's a real machine gun- it's the one I finally got cleared for back in June, I just now got around to putting different stocks on it; it originally had a vertical fore grip. Auto Ord made full auto tommy guns from 1975 until they banned them in '86. This one was made in '75. The WWII guns were unfortunately out of my price range.

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

cm289 wrote:Nope, it's a real machine gun- it's the one I finally got cleared for back in June, I just now got around to putting different stocks on it; it originally had a vertical fore grip. Auto Ord made full auto tommy guns from 1975 until they banned them in '86. This one was made in '75. The WWII guns were unfortunately out of my price range.

WWOOOOOWWW. I had NO IDEA they made them 75-86. I was thinking you had one from the 20s. I mean, any Thompson is expensive but one from that era...I'd be selling my truck to purchase it. Please, we need more pics and whenever you get around to it a video of it in action. VERY COOL!!!!!!!!!
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

https://vimeo.com/106460125

Here's my first 20 rounds thru it- I was too excited to have good form but it was fun!

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Share your Indy Guns!

Post by ChrisMD »

cm289 wrote:https://vimeo.com/106460125

Here's my first 20 rounds thru it- I was too excited to have good form but it was fun!

Awesome! I wouldn't be able to stop staring at it if it was mine!

I've been thinking about getting a 5.0 Mustang but I feel like an MG is a better investment. Strongly considering my options.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Having owned an 89 5.0 and a 93 Cobra, I'd say the machine gun is a much better investment unless you plan on never driving the car. In just the few months that I've owned this one I've seen 70s vintage t-guns sell for $2500-4500 more than I paid.

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Share your Indy Guns!

Post by ChrisMD »

A few more of the P38

cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Sweet- how's it shoot?

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

cm289 wrote:Sweet- how's it shoot?

Haven't shot it yet. I wanna play with it hopefully next week.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Nice stick, 289!

Why waltz...when you can rock n' roll? :mrgreen:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:Nice stick, 289!

Can I borrow that line? I love it!
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

ChrisMD wrote:
Cajunkraut wrote:Nice stick, 289!

Can I borrow that line? I love it!
Absolutely - it wasn't mine to begin with!

I actually had one of these shirts as a kid in the 80's, a la 1987's Lost Boys:

You can find the reissue here:

http://www.redbubble.com/people/moviesh ... ?p=t-shirt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I distinctly remember the original tees being offered only in heather grey and having a question mark after the word waltz.
Last edited by Cajunkraut on Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Almost forgot about this one. Not my pics, but what I had on hand.

ImageImage

Pop quiz, Walther fans: The date code on this one is '72. How is that significant for the German-made PPK?
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:Almost forgot about this one. Not my pics, but what I had on hand.

ImageImage

Pop quiz, Walther fans: The date code on this one is '72. How is that significant for the German-made PPK?

Interarms started assembling them in the US, due to the 68 import laws. (I think)
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Pretty close, Chris.

The PPK was banned from US importation by the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA68). So a German PPK with a post-'68 date code is rare. Most, if not all, post-68's were legally brought in by US Government or military personnel serving overseas.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Is that when they started selling them as the slightly larger PPKS?

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

cm289 wrote:Is that when they started selling them as the slightly larger PPKS?
Exactly.

Walther mated the slightly taller PP frame to the PPK slide and barrel, and voila', the import-compliant PPK/S was born. The all-German PPK/S was imported/assembled by Interarms until sometime in the 80's. Interarms eventually started manufacturing both the PPK/S and PPK under license in the US.

For those interested, Samuel Cummings' Interarms has its own intriguing history:

http://www.people.com/people/archive/ar ... 45,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/lo ... lo1286.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/05/05/world ... scale.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.economist.com/node/127894" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Well shoot I never knew that's where the PPK/S came from. I just (incorrectly) assumed they existed together all along.

Learn something mew EVERY day!
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

ChrisMD wrote:Well shoot I never knew that's where the PPK/S came from. I just (incorrectly) assumed they existed together all along.

Learn something mew EVERY day!
:H:
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Here's one of my M1s- the National Ordinance Inc beater I picked up 15 or so years ago. I slapped a GI stock on it to make it pretty. It came with a yellow stock and flat metal hand guard- yech!Image

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

That carbine looks SHARP, 289!

I've always liked the look of the stock mounted mag pouch, but dreaded scratching up the wood with that snap. Wondering how easy it is to remove the snap without ruining the pouch... :-k
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Share your Indy Guns!

Post by ChrisMD »

cm289 wrote:Here's one of my M1s- the National Ordinance Inc beater I picked up 15 or so years ago. I slapped a GI stock on it to make it pretty. It came with a yellow stock and flat metal hand guard- yech!Image

Very nice! I'll NEVER forget my Grandfather's tales from Guam, Bouganville, and Iwo...many of them feature the M1 Carbine.

Another Indy Gun and Pop Pop's personal favorite, the 1911. Instagram edit.

cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I like the patina- who made it?

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

cm289 wrote:I like the patina- who made it?

It's a Rock Island GI that came in a HORRID "exorcist vomit green" duracoat. So I had it manganese phosphate parkerized and artificially aged it.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Great guns that compliment a great generation !!! Nice pieces guys !! :TOH:
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Share your Indy Guns!

Post by cm289 »

Chores are done, so here's my IAI M1, wearing a Fulton Armory M1A1 folding stock. This makes a great truck gun- folds down to 25 inches. The knife is a Camillus- not sure when it was made.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Cajunkraut wrote:That carbine looks SHARP, 289!

I've always liked the look of the stock mounted mag pouch, but dreaded scratching up the wood with that snap. Wondering how easy it is to remove the snap without ruining the pouch... :-k
Try a small piece of adhesive felt attached to the inside of the snap- the kind they make to protect furniture.

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Thanks for the tip, 289, and gorgeous toys! =P~
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

I just posted a new thread displaying my completed handgun collection. Check it out here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62245" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Good stuff!

Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

I recently got a new-to-me Smith and Wesson Model 22-4 via auction. I wanted one of these newer revolvers because I broke a tension pin on the hand on a vintage 1917 and ended up getting an oversize hand fitted by a gunsmith to return the old revolver to functioning condition.

Parts for those almost 100 year old revolvers aren't getting any easier to come by, so if I was going to put wear on something, I'd rather it be a newer one. However, I was NOT a fan of the grips, but those are easily swapped.

I found and purchased a pair of grips on eBay for under $40 (shipping was free); they shipped from Thailand, and were on my revolver in just over 2 weeks.

The wood to metal fit was better than some S&W factory grips I have on my other N-frames. They're so nice, I may buy more from this vendor for my other 1917s.

Here's a before and after comparison:

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Mountaineer wrote:I recently got a new-to-me Smith and Wesson Model 22-4 via auction. I wanted one of these newer revolvers because I broke a tension pin on the hand on a vintage 1917 and ended up getting an oversize hand fitted by a gunsmith to return the old revolver to functioning condition.

Parts for those almost 100 year old revolvers aren't getting any easier to come by, so if I was going to put wear on something, I'd rather it be a newer one. However, I was NOT a fan of the grips, but those are easily swapped.

I found and purchased a pair of grips on eBay for under $40 (shipping was free); they shipped from Thailand, and were on my revolver in just over 2 weeks.

The wood to metal fit was better than some S&W factory grips I have on my other N-frames. They're so nice, I may buy more from this vendor for my other 1917s.

Here's a before and after comparison:

The new grips you installed look WAY better. Nice pickup!
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

The new grips look closer to the 22-4's original S&W factory "stocks", just sans the medallion.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Cajunkraut wrote:The new grips look closer to the 22-4's original S&W factory "stocks", just sans the medallion.
EXACTLY! I That's exactly the reason I bought them!

After looking, and looking, and looking for (inexpensive) original-ish diamond checkered grips without medallions, I finally found/decided to bite the bullet and order from this particular seller. Very happy I did.

He's currently selling (via Buy It Now) other grip styles for N and K Frames,and he's also selling grips for things like Lugers, Hi Powers, etc.

I sent him a link (I've used it here too) showing S&W grip style changes over the decades. I told him I was interested in the early-style no-medallion, convex-topped, checkered diamond grips. He thanked me for the link and said he'd look at them. If he makes them/offers them up, I'm buying a set without hesitation.

Chris: Thanks. Evidently, this was part of someone's collection which ended up as an estate sale. I got it from Gun Broker from the store who was offering several of these firearms from said collection. A little cleaning and it was good as new.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Mountaineer nice acquisition, pretty piece !! By the way guys Mountaineer can make a really nice Indy holster !! ChrisMD.. I've been building Mustangs for over 22 yrs. and I've had at least 10 or 12 5.0 Mustangs from 1987-93 mostly 5spd GTs, so if you're in the market let me know, but if I had a shot at a Thompson..... hmnn.. Lol !!
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

micsteam wrote:Mountaineer nice acquisition, pretty piece !! By the way guys Mountaineer can make a really nice Indy holster !!
Thanks! I'd watched two or three other 22-4s sell before I jumped into the ring. Patience paid off in this case.

I was going though my folders when looking for pics for this post and saw the ones I sent you while making your holster. I was wondering how it's holding up. Hopefully still going strong.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Mountaineer wrote:Thanks! I'd watched two or three other 22-4s sell before I jumped into the ring. Patience paid off in this case.
You must've been out of pocket when I put two of 'em in the Bazaar last spring/summer. Not so much as an offer on either, then I finally sold 'em on Gunbroker.

I did keep my Turnbull case color finished one just because she's so different, though. Pics of that one on page 3 of this thread.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Cajunkraut wrote:
You must've been out of pocket when I put two of 'em in the Bazaar last spring/summer. Not so much as an offer on either, then I finally sold 'em on Gunbroker.

I did keep my Turnbull case color finished one just because she's so different, though. Pics of that one on page 3 of this thread.
Basically, yeah. Kind of. I hadn't made my mind up until this fall that I needed a third revolver in 45 ACP. I really like the 4-inch barrels for woods carrying. I wasn't happy about breaking the part on the vintage one. I also recently applied/received a bonus from my home state for being a veteran, that was really the catalyst.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Mountaineer wrote:
Cajunkraut wrote:

Basically, yeah. Kind of. I hadn't made my mind up until this fall that I needed a third revolver in 45 ACP. I really like the 4-inch barrels for woods carrying. I wasn't happy about breaking the part on the vintage one. I also recently applied/received a bonus from my home state for being a veteran, that was really the catalyst.
Thanks for your service! What mountains are you in? Im pressed right up against the foothills of the Rockies myself. I too will carry a revolver in the woods on occasion.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Thanks Chris. I'm on the western edge of the mountains near where you used to call home.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Mountaineer wrote:I also recently applied/received a bonus from my home state for being a veteran, that was really the catalyst.
Well, thank you for your service! How apropos on this Veterans Day. :TOH:
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Thanks.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Share your Indy Guns!

Post by ChrisMD »

Girlfriend picked up her own little Walter Donovan piece tonight. Not all German, one of the S&W licensed ones but I like it alot. She got a KILLER price too. Kinda bummed she got one of MY bucketlist guns for herself... But she is a keeper!

J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Howdy all! Long time member posting for the first time in an even longer time!

Here's my S&W 2nd Model Hand Ejector chambered in .455 Webley Mk II. I bought it with the intentions of having it converted into a "Raiders Spec, Indy gun." However, After taking possession of this fine piece of history, I couldn't do it. According to the letter from S&W that accompanied it, she left the factory on March 29th 1916 bound for England and the Great War. I suspect this fine revolver has seen more adventure in its 98 years than most of us could ever hope to!

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

J_Weaver wrote:Howdy all! Long time member posting for the first time in an even longer time!

Here's my S&W 2nd Model Hand Ejector chambered in .455 Webley Mk II. I bought it with the intentions of having it converted into a "Raiders Spec, Indy gun." However, After taking possession of this fine piece of history, I couldn't do it. According to the letter from S&W that accompanied it, she left the factory on March 29th 1916 bound for England and the Great War. I suspect this fine revolver has seen more adventure in its 98 years than most of us could ever hope to!

Good choice! I wouldnt mess with it either. Great looking pistol!
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Excellent revolver J_Weaver!

I'd leave it alone as well. This is definitely one of those items from the past we wish could tell its tale.