Indy fedora same stigma?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Indy fedora same stigma?

Post by teneas »

Youngjedi......I live in Alpharetta, and I grew up in Rockdale. I am assuming the Henry county buses are from my same state.

Hats look great folks. Slap those on your heads and show the world you are man.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

teneas wrote:Youngjedi......I live in Alpharetta, and I grew up in Rockdale. I am assuming the Henry county buses are from my same state.

Hats look great folks. Slap those on your heads and show the world you are man.
I live in TN..
CouldnaeDecide
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CouldnaeDecide »

youngjedi71 wrote:
Michaelson wrote:Not a dang thing wrong with THAT fedora! Looks well used, and part of YOU, not just something sitting on your head.

You wear it well!

Regard! M :M: :tup:
not sure if you talking to me? BUT if you are..thanks a lot!!..i never wear my AB..its in a box put away..lol..I just have a hard time wearing that expensive hat..AND knowing Steve Delk is sick and not sure if he's gonna be around..I dont know..I just feel its so special..Hate to wear it..
I'd love a pair of Bilts..... One for wearing only and one for the glass case.... But if I had just 1....id be wearing it all the time.... That's why it was made!
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

CouldnaeDecide wrote:
youngjedi71 wrote:
Michaelson wrote:Not a dang thing wrong with THAT fedora! Looks well used, and part of YOU, not just something sitting on your head.

You wear it well!

not sure if you talking to me? BUT if you are..thanks a lot!!..i never wear my AB..its in a box put away..lol..I just have a hard time wearing that expensive hat..AND knowing Steve Delk is sick and not sure if he's gonna be around..I dont know..I just feel its so special..Hate to wear it..
I'd love a pair of Bilts..... One for wearing only and one for the glass case.... But if I had just 1....id be wearing it all the time.... That's why it was made!
well I got my Fed IV first..it was my first real hat..it is kind of my baby. I actually like it a little better than my AB..I know,crazy hu?..lol.. :CR:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

youngjedi71 wrote:

You wear it well!

Life is too #### short. Wear the hat. You don't have to beat the snot out of it but wear it from time to time.
Jacques
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jacques »

BendingOak wrote: Life is too #### short. Wear the hat. You don't have to beat the snot out of it but wear it from time to time.
I think of the fedora like I think of classic or exotic cars. I would drive it at least once in awhile...they're meant to be driven! So, the fedora should also be worn from time to time, not spend its time sitting in a box. :)
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

OK i took the AB out of the box long enough to get a pic..:D

CouldnaeDecide
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CouldnaeDecide »

looks great. now to try and convince my mrs that i need a Fed IV. its the closest to the AB, in shape.... :D
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

The problem with not wearing things made of natural fibers regularly, particularly things made of animal fiber is that they fall under the general classifications of food and bedding for insects and small animals. And, just like the hoses and gaskets on an exotic car, air doesn't agree with them over years of inactivity.

Few things are as disappointing as pulling out a carefully stored fedora and finding a moth hole or damage to the brim from some anonymous creature, or worse, after years of storage. to find the felt and leather sweatband are so brittle they crack or crumble when you put the hat on. The best way to avoid that is to wear them, brush them and carefully put them away, or at least to brush them regularly.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

CouldnaeDecide wrote:looks great. now to try and convince my mrs that i need a Fed IV. its the closest to the AB, in shape.... :D
A FED IV is only 150$ I think? its been a while since I bought mine..I think early 2012..I know 150$ sounds like a lot,but this hat will last a long time..and yes,It is a nice Indy style hat...FUNNY I just noticed the last pic i posted im wearing my AB but I see my Fed hanging on my pc monitor in the back..:D
CouldnaeDecide
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CouldnaeDecide »

youngjedi71 wrote:... I see my Fed hanging on my pc monitor in the back..:D
Do you like it as your daily wear? 150 (nearer 170 with shipping) is just a bit of a chunk to drop on a hat. Wife would have a caniption fit. Ha!

I was looking at another place that does 100% Beaver with a tag on only 225 which after looking at many other milliners, is a reasonable price for Beaver. The hat I have now has quite a wide brim. I may just try to trim it myself... Who knows... Ha...
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

CouldnaeDecide wrote:
youngjedi71 wrote:... I see my Fed hanging on my pc monitor in the back..:D
Do you like it as your daily wear? 150 (nearer 170 with shipping) is just a bit of a chunk to drop on a hat. Wife would have a caniption fit. Ha!

I was looking at another place that does 100% Beaver with a tag on only 225 which after looking at many other milliners, is a reasonable price for Beaver. The hat I have now has quite a wide brim. I may just try to trim it myself... Who knows... Ha...
my total was only 150$..and yes..its the only real hat i actually wear..driving a bus i just feel right wearing it..:) I never cared much about if my wife liked what i bought..WHEN we had more money..I feel we all work for a living and should get to enjoy some of our money for ourselves. Funny,women find it ok to spend a lot of money on makeup,shoes,cigarettes,expensive coffee,new furniture when they feel the need..SO i never blinked an eye when I wanted some electronics,bikes,workout equipment,etc..

you live once...its a 150$..OR even if you buy an AB or Penman..so what..live once and enjoy..you come in broke and in debt..you gonna leave broke and in debt.. :H:
CouldnaeDecide
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CouldnaeDecide »

That's a fair point. But alas... Happy wife happy life. I'm sure a wise man said that once.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

BendingOak wrote:
youngjedi71 wrote:

You wear it well!

Life is too #### short. Wear the hat. You don't have to beat the snot out of it but wear it from time to time.
Yes I was talking to you, and couldn't agree more with what John said. He can rebuild it if it ever needs it. That's why they're so good, they can be cleaned and rebuilt over and over again. Wear it! :M: :tup:

Regards! M
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I like beating the snot out of mine. Gives it more character.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

From what Ive read,it seems a hat is only good for 2 reblocks..and if you wear it often,and in the elements and such,2 blockings would come pretty fast..So having a once in a life time hat from Steve Delk makes me leery of wearing it at all..Maybe Mr Penman will chime in on this..How many blocks could a FedIV and an AB "both rabbit" handle realistically??
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

An AB is not an Akubra.

One is hand made, the other line made/mass produced.

An Akubra is a good hat, but one can not be compared to the other when it comes to rebuild.

The '2 time' rebuild for an AB is totally incorrect. It probably is for an Akubra, though.

A good hand made hat can be rebuilt a multitude of times.

I've had my AB's over hauled several times over the past 'umteen' years, as I've had 'Delk' made hats before Steve CREATED the AB line, and my hats are still going strong, looking as good as the day I got them after all those rebuilds....and they're worn daily in rotation.

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Most factory hats can't be re-blocked many times. One or two, maybe. How Steve and I make hats they can be re-blocked several times but most likely won't need it as after ours are re-block a couple times the felt "dies" (A term from Steve) and settles into its shape like a vintage hat. We both pre-age/stable our hats so they have a jump start and very few custom hatters do that. I only know of 3. All of them connected ( go figure ).

I have come to learn with a little TLC one of our hats will last a life time. When I say TLC, I mean. brushing your hat is the most important. It keeps particles off you hat and tightens up the nap. Keeping the nap tight keeps the hat looking good and will help in the battle of shrinking/tapering.
cleaning your hands would be number 2 on my list. Most stains happen from people not cleaning their hands enough. it's always a good pratice not only for your hat but from getting the common cold.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

BendingOak wrote:Most factory hats can't be re-blocked many times. One or two, maybe. How Steve and I make hats they can be re-blocked several times but most likely won't need it as after ours are re-block a couple times the felt "dies" (A term from Steve) and settles into its shape like a vintage hat. We both pre-age/stable our hats so they have a jump start and very few custom hatters do that. I only know of 3. All of them connected ( go figure ).

I have come to learn with a little TLC one of our hats will last a life time. When I say TLC, I mean. brushing your hat is the most important. It keeps particles off you hat and tightens up the nap. Keeping the nap tight keeps the hat looking good and will help in the battle of shrinking/tapering.
cleaning your hands would be number 2 on my list. Most stains happen from people not cleaning their hands enough. it's always a good pratice not only for your hat but from getting the common cold.
thanks for the advice and clearing up things for me a bit..i wish i could find a brush around my town..dont have much to spend and would like to finally own one..i know my FED iv needs a good brushing as its looking a little fuzzy or lose...can someone LINK me to maybe a cheep good brush from a safe seller?
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

How does one know when it's time for a re block?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

youngjedi71 wrote:
BendingOak wrote:Most factory hats can't be re-blocked many times. One or two, maybe. How Steve and I make hats they can be re-blocked several times but most likely won't need it as after ours are re-block a couple times the felt "dies" (A term from Steve) and settles into its shape like a vintage hat. We both pre-age/stable our hats so they have a jump start and very few custom hatters do that. I only know of 3. All of them connected ( go figure ).

thanks for the advice and clearing up things for me a bit..i wish i could find a brush around my town..dont have much to spend and would like to finally own one..i know my FED iv needs a good brushing as its looking a little fuzzy or lose...can someone LINK me to maybe a cheep good brush from a safe seller?

http://www.penmanhats.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Jeremiah wrote:How does one know when it's time for a re block?

When it's time you will know. the hat goes from this I I to this / \. the time you really need a re-block is when the hat is tapered to wear it doesn't really look like the hat you first got. Cleaning is the key in most cases then re-blocking. people tend to let things build up in that early stage of when the hats fad a little.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Thanks. Just got back from a very dusty renaissance faire. Just gave it a good brushing.
erikgunnlugson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by erikgunnlugson »

I need a reblock, flanging and a brushing soon.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b58 ... 732039.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

erikgunnlugson wrote:I need a reblock, flanging and a brushing soon.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b58 ... 732039.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure you need a full re-block. might just need the crown re-creased and then flanged. that and a little clean up.
what label is that?
erikgunnlugson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by erikgunnlugson »

This is an Adventurebilt
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

After the new year contact me and we can work on it. I doubt it will take much to get fixed up.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Any photos of a re block before and after?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Jeremiah wrote:Any photos of a re block before and after?

:D you might find some on my Facebook page.
CouldnaeDecide
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CouldnaeDecide »

Is it possible to "kill" the felt on a factory hat e.g Akubra Adventurer... :) ...

Could anyone point me in the direction of brim trimming instructions for an Akubra? Did a search but found nothing of significance.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

CouldnaeDecide wrote:Is it possible to "kill" the felt on a factory hat e.g Akubra Adventurer... :) ...

Could anyone point me in the direction of brim trimming instructions for an Akubra? Did a search but found nothing of significance.

Yes but I would need to have the felt body in its raw form. At that point why not start with a much more quality felt.

You will need a brim cutter and a little practice. Not the hardest thing to do but a little skill is needed. Best to start with a stiff hat like a western and work your way to fedora.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I will check FB for those photos.
Travelsonic
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Travelsonic »

jlee562 wrote:Look, if you're gonna wear a hat in public, you're gonna have to accept that you're going to stick out to a certain extent. Frankly, the people who give fedoras a bad name are a) goofs who are incidentally wearing hats and/or b) have no proper fashion sense.
You forgot a 3rd group: The people who think "oh, these people are [category A or B] threfore everyone who wears a fedora is that way."

Why? WEll, simply put, they're the ones perpetuating the stereotype. IMO, this is the whole fallacy of the "gives a bad name" argument, usially ignores that it's not the weird behavior alone, but also the people who perpetuate it who help create the image, and the argument seems to give some sort of undue immunity to the people perpetuating the logically flawed stereotyping/generalizing.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I tend to just wear the hat around and mind my own business. After all, what's proper fashion sense anyway? Does it have to be like my attire to be 'proper'? People wear what they want these days. I think a lot of it looks ridiculous but I'm not the one going out of the house looking like I'm wearing my pajamas 24/7 so I don't care. Not my concern or my job to train anybody to get dressed, or judge them either.

Sonic, stereotypes are perpetrated by ignorance. That's sorta implied. It's one of the products of ignorance. Those folks are entitled to their opinions, even if they're born out of ignorance. You rarely hear anyone who has it 'together' make statements out of ignorance. And even at that, the intention isn't always mean spirited. jlee has it right that the hats are out of the ordinary and will attract attention, good and bad.

Minutes ago, my barista commented that the other night, as I was getting ready to leave, he looked up from his work as I was saying, 'Well, I gotta fly', meaning I needed to go. At that instant, he saw me put on and tug at the brim of my hat (my BEAUTIFUL moss Penman!!) with the timing of 'Indy' in a movie. So, he just asks me right then, this morning, I mean, in front of 6 other baristas and a couple customers, if they could just play the Raiders music when I enter and exit so I have a 'theme' and everyone knows I'm here. Now, I'm very much a regular here and love all these kids and watching them goof off. His comment was totally well-intentioned and good-natured, and he's a great guy. It drew attention to me, which, anywhere else, I would hate. But I knew the people and the context. I told him, 'may as well do it, people hum and whistle the tune around me everywhere else I go! But I was really going for Dick Tracy, not Indy!'

Keep in mind, ignorance is always the fault of the 'ignorer', but sometimes it's passive and sometimes it's willful. I just keep it light, and mind my business. If someone makes a derogatory comment, ask yourself if that person would have ever said anything else to you for any reason otherwise, and if it's 'no', then why should you bother with them anyway, if that's the way they choose to interact with you for the first time. It put things in perspective.

JMO YMMV etc., etc., lol :lol:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

CouldnaeDecide wrote:Does the indy fedora have the same stigma that "fedoras of okc" has perpetuated?

I know this is an odd first post but I thought I'd ask what do you daily wearers wear with your Indy Headwear?

:TOH:
I don't know anything about any collective fedora hatred. Just that some people are just hateful idiots, and I assume that they gather as readily as any body else.

As for what I wear with my Indy lids; I try not to wear "the outfit" together (tan pants, leather jacket, Indy Hat), but sometimes I do it without thinking or intending to. As all the stories suggest, most people won't be aware enough to know the difference, but I am, and I feel a little "costumey" that way. It's a person hang-up, and one I'd like to get over, because it's a nice combination.
Otherwise, I wear pretty much anything with an Indy hat. It's a versatile style, especially if you keep it neat and clean. From a suit to t-shirt and jeans, it works. I especially like pairing it with a long overcoat or trench coat.
CouldnaeDecide
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CouldnaeDecide »

I have a rough time not wearing the jacket haha. The hat and the jacket are staples in my outfit right now. After reading many responses (even the off topic Bilt posts! Ha!) I feel more at ease and I do hope that I look like I belong in my hat as much as you guys do!
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Last 2 posts, Chewbacca and Couldnae, good points. Put the hat with a brown jacket and you've attracted more attention, rude comments or not.

Like many here, I'm cursed because I actually like both hat and jacket, and don't like the rest of the getup as regular attire, while being neutral on the shirt. Sometimes before walking out the door I realize I'm wearing one the Khaki shirts, usually one of my Wally-world 'Faded Glory' short sleeves, which coincidentally nail the screen color, IMO, and I'm also wearing one of my brown leather jackets, and a brown hat. At that point, I usually go grab another color hat, just because, even to me, it does feel a little 'costumey'. Any of this gear together or apart shouldn't matter, but, for better of for worse, when you put it together, it's just going to draw attention. Let's face it, the ensemble is iconic. Nobody here would be wearing the copy of an Indy jacket if there had been no Indy.

Plus it gives me a reason wear a different hat, and I'm fortunate to have a few colors to choose from!
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I actually like the Indy style jacket without it being from the movies. I own an A2 jacket and never really was fond of how the wool/elastic hugs your waist. Mine is frayed somewhat where I wear my watch.

Even without Indy, the jacket though not absolutely historical is very similar to some older civilian style jackets. For me, I look at it in that way or as a flight jacket without the wool.

Like I have said, I have a few Indy jackets and wear them often and nobody even associates the jacket with the movies. Pop a fedora or aussie hat on and that changes it. It is the hat that sticks in peoples minds and not so much the shirt or jacket. Really sad as fedora hats were a normal wear item for years but faded out for the most part while leather jackets have remained a constant in one form or another.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Illinois James wrote:Last 2 posts, Chewbacca and Couldnae, good points. Put the hat with a brown jacket and you've attracted more attention, rude comments or not.

Like many here, I'm cursed because I actually like both hat and jacket, and don't like the rest of the getup as regular attire, while being neutral on the shirt. Sometimes before walking out the door I realize I'm wearing one the Khaki shirts, usually one of my Wally-world 'Faded Glory' short sleeves, which coincidentally nail the screen color, IMO, and I'm also wearing one of my brown leather jackets, and a brown hat. At that point, I usually go grab another color hat, just because, even to me, it does feel a little 'costumey'. Any of this gear together or apart shouldn't matter, but, for better of for worse, when you put it together, it's just going to draw attention. Let's face it, the ensemble is iconic. Nobody here would be wearing the copy of an Indy jacket if there had been no Indy.

Plus it gives me a reason wear a different hat, and I'm fortunate to have a few colors to choose from!
Yes!! That's my thing, wearing the hat and jacket together will def. draw attention. My hat on it's own has rarely drawn much attention aside from positive comments, either on how nice my hat is, or about it being a nice cowboy hat.

The other day I had a kid on campus do a double take and looked at me and said, "Man, you're wearing a real fedora. Rocking it old school, that's awesome."
It was nice to have such a positive comment from a student.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Not sure what the people say on the street but I am wearing my fedora after work today. This is DEFINITELY fedora weather.

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I love winter, as folks don't get a @#$% what you're wearing. They're just trying to get to their car without falling down. :lol: ;)

Regards! M
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Me too, M and Chris! The hat is it's most useful to me in Chicago area winters. I just don't wear hats in warm weather, except for straws, and that's when I'm not on a motorcycle.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

What's that white stuff?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

There really isn't a stigma if you don't let there be one.
CouldnaeDecide
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CouldnaeDecide »

I love you guys :[

You've definitely given me some confidence in wearing my hat.

I was a talking point in Hollywood Studios today so i swapped my Khaki shirt for the "fan" Raiders Shirt.... got less comments as i just "looked like one of the crowd"

thanks fellas! \:D/ :TOH:
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

CouldnaeDecide wrote:I love you guys :[

I was a talking point in Hollywood Studios today so i swapped my Khaki shirt for the "fan" Raiders Shirt.... got less comments as i just "looked like one of the crowd"

just wear a dress..maybe some nice high heels..there will be NO focus on the hat at all.. :rolling:
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

youngjedi71 wrote:
CouldnaeDecide wrote:I love you guys :[

just wear a dress..maybe some nice high heels..there will be NO focus on the hat at all.. :rolling:
Aha! The old Klinger Gambit...

LJT
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I have a question to ask about wearing the hat....what do you do with it when you have to take it off in a public place? The size of a fedora does not easily translate into putting it aside!
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Charybdis wrote:I have a question to ask about wearing the hat....what do you do with it when you have to take it off in a public place? The size of a fedora does not easily translate into putting it aside!
I take my hat off when I go indoors. I know there are rules that say if it's a public space, such as a mall and walmart that you don't have to take it off, just when it's dining or in a house or out of respect. I take my hat off when I'm go into any place. It's just what I do.

If I'm at a store, I carry it in my hand, unless I'm actually shopping shopping then I place it in the top portion of the buggie.
When dining out, usually there's an extra seat I can place it on, or usually I can balance it on my knee. Rarely, VERY rarely will I put is on the ground.... I've heard too many horror stories from people here about what can happen.
Now, if I'm going in somewhere that I know I'll have my hands busy and will have no where to put it, I leave it in the car. Like, my second job has nowhere to store personal things and I can't wear it on the job.... so it stays in the car.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The only time I leave mine in the car is if there are 4 or more of us going into a restaurant and I KNOW there won't be a place to put my hat. Otherwise, it's with me.

As to wear, it comes off in a professional building and elevator, stays on in public places like malls or grocery stores. That's the way I roll.

Regards! Michaelson