Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana Gus
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Goat or lamb?

Post by Indiana Gus »

OK, I'm almost ready to order... :)

However... I'm still not sure about the leather type. I'm getting a ToD. Here's the situation: I'm going to Greece this summer and I want to take it with me and wear it without the jacket cooking me alive... if ever this is possible with 40°C. Anyway, I need to take a jacket with me, so why not a Wested. Also I want to be able to wear the jacket without getting cold in our mild Dutch winter (so at about 5°C to -5°C). I wanted to get the authentic goatskin, because of it's warmth and durability, but perhaps an authentic lambskin would be as warm as the goat in mild winter conditions and also more suitable for warmer conditions.

Please let me know what you think!
MaxPlague
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MaxPlague »

I have the authentic lamb and it's great! It's light-weight enough for warmer weather, but keeps the cold out fairly well if I wear a sweater beneath it.

I prefer the lamb because its texture is softer and smoother than the goat. However, you can't really go wrong with either choice, it's really up to personal preference and whether or not you want "screen accurate."

Best of luck in your decision. :)
Seb
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Seb »

Hey Gus,

You want to wear a leather jacket in a Greek summer...? 8) I think that the difference in leather is not substantial anymore. It'll be warm, no matter what leather you wear.

I am dutch too, and I decided to go with the Auth. Goatskin. I just picked it up this week :D . I do have other cowhide leather jackets (non Indy's) and compared to them I must say that my goatskin LC jacket is fairly suitable for warmer weather. Don't know anything about the lamb though...

I say, living in the Netherlands, I could wear my jacket allmost year round. With the exception of the (rare) really cold/freezing days and midsummer beach days.
Combined with the durability and water resistance I decided to get a Goatskin jacket. One disadvantage though: it's more stiff in the beginning, but it'll soften if you wear it a lot. And of course there's a difference in texture, but that's not a problem for me.

To be short: Goatskin is perfect in my opinion.

Good luck with your decision!!!

Greetz,
Seb
Mr. Das
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Das »

Goat will be fine in Winter as I survived a Canadian winter wearing my goatskin.

The lambskin is for warmer climates as it's softer and lighter. But there was a member here from Poland that wore his during winter and I don't think he complained.

40 degrees is too hot to even be considering wearing a jacket.
Krzysztof Smigiel
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Krzysztof Smigiel »

Hello Everyone,

I'm living in Poland and I have a Wested's lambskin jacket. However I'm not the person that Mr. Gas is referring to. Nevertheless it's true the lambskin Indy jacket is warm enough to survive the winter. All you need to do is to wear something warm under it. However according to my short experiences I must say I had to replace my Indy jacket into my winter jacket from time to time especially during quite chilly nights. Now I?m thinking of buying another jacket but this time made of goat skin (especially because of its durability).

Good luck in choosing!
Krzysztof
Indiana Gus
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana Gus »

Thanks for the information!

I'm going on an archeological survey in Greece. I don't expect to wear a jacket most of the time though :), not with 40°C. Since our winters are not that cold anyway, I think I'll go with the lamb. Peter says on his website that it is very durable. I'm not going to hang behind a car with my jacket on. :)
Indiana Gus
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

The waiting has started!

Post by Indiana Gus »

OK, I placed my order yesterday!

It's going to be this:

- ToD authentic goatskin;
- cotton body/ satin sleeves;
- under arm gussets;
- extra inside pocket (with zip);
- hidden press studs on the storm flap;
- elastic action pleats.

I decided to get lamb, but then I read that goat is much more water resistent. Since Dutch weather tends to be rainy, I decided to get goat instead.

Now I'm patiently waiting the next few weeks. :wink: How long does it usually take?
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

As Wested state on their site their aim is to have it ready and shipped within 21 days. I ordered mine recently and it seems that it will arrive within that time span, despite the trouble of finding hides large enough for a tall person like me. :wink:

Regards,
Swindiana
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Hey Swindy, how tall are ya? I'm approx. 187 cm(6' 3"), maybe a bit less. But I'm still growing.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

I have my sights on a Goat someday.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

speaking of Lambskin, how durable is it? I've heard reports of it being easily ripped, but I've also heard reports of it being tough as nails. :junior: -IJ
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Renderking Fisk saith:
I have my sights on a Goat someday.
A live goat?! :wink:
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Sure... If folks can make their own holsters, what's keeping me from making my own jacket? Besides talent?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The durability of lamb is all dependent on how you decide to wear it. I find it a perfect 'urban adventurer' leather, capable of handing any trips to Wal-Mart, the mall, shopping with the wife a the grocery store, etc., and have always used mine as a good casual jacket should be used. Do I think it will handle a jaunt through the woods very well? If I stay away from throrns and the like, sure, why not. Otherwise, no. It has a surface tensile strength to catch on just about anything sharp, and instead of pulling loose, it tends to grab and stretch out to tear. If it doesn't tear, more than likely the dimple caused by the stretch will remain. It's just not up to the heavy use challenge, and the heavy distressing seen on Fords jackets weren't ALL created by the prop department. :shock:
Goat, on the other hand, is made like a tank, and CAN handle the rough roads, as well as the malls and the like. It's just a bit heavier in physical weight. Now I REALLY enjoy BOTH my lambskin and goatskin jackets......I just pick and choose which to wear, and dependent on weather conditions, and where I'm planning to go. They work perfectly when worn in the correct situation. Regards. Michaelson
indybill
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indybill »

Well said Michaelson. I knew that I would have a wait between jacket
one and jacket two, so I chose goat because, as Michaelson said, it's
a tank of a jacket. It will take whatever you can dish out and come
back for more. I'd love to have a lamb one for spring/summer wear
eventually too though. But I'd never choose the lamb for a field jacket,
just too easy to damage on the rocks, brush, etc that it'd see there.
That's my .02 cents worth.

Regards,
Indybill
IndianaFist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaFist »

IndianaJones wrote:speaking of Lambskin, how durable is it? I've heard reports of it being easily ripped, but I've also heard reports of it being tough as nails. :junior: -IJ
I own a lambskin jacket, its nice and soft and light compared to my other leather coats. However all the lamb is chewed off one side of the zipper. Because of the zipper pinching it when being pulled up. The bottom of both sleeves are chewed up just from rubbing against things. Both lower sides of my coat are all ragged looking as is my left shoulder. Because of seatbelts. I do admit that there is nothing like the feel of lamb. But when you buy a 450 dollar jacket and its in this shape from normal wear in only 2 years!!!..........I see nothing but goat and Pecard's Jell in my future.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

I would go with the advice here, however I found the dark brown lamb I got from Wested 2 years ago to be a great jacket and survived nearly everything I threw at it in the field or in less adventurous climates.

However one of the pockets did rip on it, though I got that repaired to perfection and I heard from its present owner that apparantly the sleeve ripped when someone grabbed him.

Ken
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Now I REALLY enjoy BOTH my lambskin and goatskin jackets......I just pick and choose which to wear, and dependent on weather conditions, and where I'm planning to go. They work perfectly when worn in the correct situation. Regards. Michaelson
Kindof like a woman picking and choosing shoes for the day! :lol: Sorry for the joke on you Michaelson, and for the stereotype against women. I just couldn't resist. :P Thanks for all the advice on the jackets guys. I think when I do get one I'll go for goat and pecards jell. :junior: -IJ
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I actually DO spend a few minutes in front of the closet trying to decide what hat and jacket to wear based on the weather. How'd ya know? :oops: :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Michaelson wrote:I actually DO spend a few minutes in front of the closet trying to decide what hat and jacket to wear based on the weather. How'd ya know? :oops: :wink: Regards. Michaelson
I know because I took Mola Ram's AP class on ripping out hearts, mind-reading and flower arrangement. :D :junior: -IJ
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

[quote="IndianaJones]
I know because I took Mola Ram's AP class on ripping out hearts, mind-reading and flower arrangement. :D :junior: -IJ[/quote]

He always did the loveliest lily arrangements for those pit victims!
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

yeah, a real heart-breaker...er...heart-ripper that man was for most of the women he met. :junior: -IJ
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

It's ok, Michealson. My wife told me yesterday that I spend as much time as she does getting ready when I'm trying to pick the right version of gear to where for every occassion.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Humm, somehow I find that one a bit difficult to picture, Render, old buddy. "Humm, let's see, what color shirt should I wear....khaki, khaki, or khaki? :-k " (grins) Been there, done that.

IGB, heart ripping out and flower arrangement? :shock: I must have missed that one in the catalog that year. All I could find was heart ripping out and lawn bowling. I already HAD the lawn bowling credit, so I passed it up. :roll: :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

And you should see his psychology course! He seems to understand the thought process of every swashbuckling, whip-toting Archaeologist he meets! He even revealed the part of the brain that emits the "fortune and glory" hormone. :junior: -IJ
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Michaelson wrote:Humm, somehow I find that one a bit difficult to picture, Render, old buddy. "Humm, let's see, what color shirt should I wear....khaki, khaki, or khaki? :-k " (grins) Been there, done that.
Khaki, Stone, Light Brown, Fawn... do you have any idea how many shades of brown there are?

Then I have to ask what version of Gear am I wearing? Streets of Ciaro, Venice peir, South American Jungle... It's enough to make a man stress out.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That's the reason I usually dress in the dark. My kids have said more than once "Only DAD can somehow make khaki pants, blue socks and a green checked shirt work!" :shock: Hey, what are they complaining about? At least I'm dressed! :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Then there's the which kind of shirt / pants: NH, Cabelas, LL Bean. For me, it also depends on the kind of day i think it's going to be. Is it a Raiders day or Last Crusade? Unfortuately, when I get to the office, it's usually TOD.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep...usually .the bridge scene outfit too! (grins) Regards. Michaelson
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

I am waiting for the gortex Wested myself... ahhh the agony of choice.... do I get the Cowhide Wested soaked or the Lambskin Wested soaked?

Ken
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Indiana Ken wrote:I am waiting for the gortex Wested myself...
Don't laugh... I bet Peter's making the proto-type as we speak!
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

Or a Kevlar Wested for those of us in more hostile territory! :shock:

(Come to think of it, a kevlar wested would come in handy back down in brooklyn :P )
thePawn
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thePawn »

I have both, and the lamb is definitely a summer jacket not winter.
SAB
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SAB »

However... I'm still not sure about the leather type. I'm getting a ToD. Here's the situation: I'm going to Greece this summer and I want to take it with me and wear it without the jacket cooking me alive... if ever this is possible with 40°C. Anyway, I need to take a jacket with me, so why not a Wested. Also I want to be able to wear the jacket without getting cold in our mild Dutch winter (so at about 5°C to -5°C). I wanted to get the authentic goatskin, because of it's warmth and durability, but perhaps an authentic lambskin would be as warm as the goat in mild winter conditions and also more suitable for warmer conditions.
buy what you want dude, it doesn't matter, you won't be wearing a jacket in 40+ degrees C. :D
Eiti
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Eiti »

I have both jackets too. Both are fine but I prefer the toughness of the goat and the look of an well traveld lamb. So one is for fashion dressing and one for daily use. Goat is a bit warmer and i had the same problem as you. I have to study a year in Australia. That is why i asked Peter to add ventilation holes under the arms (like on a real bomber jacket) he did and my impression is that the goat jacket won´t cook my anymore in warmer climate.
Also it is warm enough for the German winter.
I proved it some days ago.
AceTachyon
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by AceTachyon »

Incoming newbie says hi!

Any California Gearheads out there have a take on which is better for Cali weather, lamb or goat?
antiquity collector
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by antiquity collector »

Yep, I'm in So. Cal. and I have a dk brown lamb. Perfect for the weather. I'm about to order a Goat though for travel as I go back to NY for visits.

The lamb was fine for me in NY even in winter but I'm from there so cold doesn't really bother me. Just give me a T-shirt and my Wested and I'll go out in snow.

Just want to try the Goat for the heck of it and to try something different.

I did rip a pocket though on my lamb. Don't know how.

AC
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

Actually, I like the lamb with a little mint jelly. Mmmmm!

Or in a gyro!

(Well, somebody had to leave a wise-a** post.) :wink:
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

AceTachyon wrote:Incoming newbie says hi!

Any California Gearheads out there have a take on which is better for Cali weather, lamb or goat?
I don't know if this is a question in general or just for Westeds. But as for the FS Expo, my Seal Chrome Goat is very thin and much more a summer jacket than my USWings Goat, which is thicker... but I'd imagine regular lamb would also be a thinner jacket better for warmer weather.
AceTachyon
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by AceTachyon »

Minnesota Jones wrote:I don't know if this is a question in general or just for Westeds.
I've got my eye on the Wested jackets.

San Francisco Bay Area weather tends to shift quickly between cool/cold and warm/hot depending on where you go. I'd originally been thinking to go with the lamb due to the weather but I know I'll be wearing this jacket during "urban adventuring" so I want it to hold up to dings and scrapes. Goat might be the way to go in terms of toughness but I don't want to boil inside the jacket whilst I'm wearing it.

Any hints?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Try getting a goatskin with two inside breast pockets, then place a frozen cooler pack in each pocket before going out. Just kidding. :wink:

I went with the goatskin because for me, the durability was more important over all than being too hot in the jacket. I suppose I could get a cotton Wested if warmer weather was too much of an issue... Anyhow, good luck and welcome aboard.

bink
thecollektor
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by thecollektor »

San Francisco Bay Area weather tends to shift quickly between cool/cold and warm/hot depending on where you go. I'd originally been thinking to go with the lamb due to the weather but I know I'll be wearing this jacket during "urban adventuring" so I want it to hold up to dings and scrapes. Goat might be the way to go in terms of toughness but I don't want to boil inside the jacket whilst I'm wearing it.

I have the same problem, Frisco weather conspires to make you uncomfortable. I have a Wested in lamb, and a US Wings in goat. The lamb is great for those days where it shifts between hot and cold, but if it gets down into the low 50's, the goat with cotton lining tends to work pretty well.

As for toughness, just about any goatskin is durable enough to survive a few scrapes. Lamb can tear easily if it snags on something sharp (saw it happen to my wife's jacket, not a pretty sight)

But whatever you do, I would avoid going with US Wings. I didn't listen to the advice on the boards here regarding Wings, and I paid for it.