adVintage Hats

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

garytelecastor
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

adVintage Hats

Post by garytelecastor »

Has anyone here had dealings with a site in Germany called adVintage Fedora's?
They have some nice hats on there but I have never dealt with them.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
tedquinton
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: adVintage Hats

Post by tedquinton »

I bought a custom hat from them last year. The quality and service was excellent. However for the moment they are no longer producing hand made hats but still sell Christy's and HJ's.
garytelecastor
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by garytelecastor »

Thanks Ted. I appreciate your input.
Helps tremendously.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I handled one of their custom fedoras a year or two back. I have owned and wear many top quality fedoras. The advintage fedora was not one of them. Not even close.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

jnicktem wrote:I handled one of their custom fedoras a year or two back. I have owned and wear many top quality fedoras. The advintage fedora was not one of them. Not even close.
While I cannot say that I have handled one of their custom hats, I will say this, in looking at their site, I would suggest that their pricing for HJ's (especially considering how HJ's are now) are way over priced -- considering the (lack) of quality delivered. Not trying to put them down, but the price point(s) are high, in my thought patterns for hats of this (questionable) quality. W>
adVintage
Vendor

Post by adVintage »

While I cannot say that I have handled one of their custom hats, I will say this, in looking at their site, I would suggest that their pricing for HJ's (especially considering how HJ's are now) are way over priced -- considering the (lack) of quality delivered. Not trying to put them down, but the price point(s) are high, in my thought patterns for hats of this (questionable) quality. W>
The quality of the Poet has changed in the last years. We are working together with Herbert Johnson directly. They now use a thicker and better felt for them and also the sewing improved. If you order directly from swaineadeney you will pay about USD 335,- without shipping, our price is about USD 213.50. I can't see why that should be over priced.
jnicktem wrote:I handled one of their custom fedoras a year or two back. I have owned and wear many top quality fedoras. The advintage fedora was not one of them. Not even close.
This is the first negative comment I read about my work, I am shocked a bit. Could you please let me know if you ordered directly from me or whose fedora you had in hands? When I started making hats in 2009 I still hat to learn many things, but I think in the last two years the hats I made can compete against most of the other fedoras, especially for that price.

Thanks
Thomas
tedquinton
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by tedquinton »

As to Thomas's early work I cannot judge, but I have a number of hats from 4 different custom hatters, one of whose work is very popular on this forum as well as a couple of factory hats from Akubra. Thomas's work bears comparison with all of them. I agree his work is probably not the very best out there but then his prices are considerably lower than the others. What I will say is his work is far far better than the Fed IV delux I own. The stitching, sweatband and finish are on a completely different plain. To my mind Thomas offers an excellent product and great value for money
j2m
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by j2m »

I own a handmade Advintage Fedora made from Thomas.
I bought it more than 2 years ago, its a beaver KOTCS. It is an awesome hat!!!
It has not change a bit qualitywise in the last 2 years, just gained in character :whip: from wearing it lots!
It has gone through rain, snow, heat, sun and lots more! The felt is really durable, maybe a tad too stiff tho... but that's beaver!
I cannot compare it to other well-know hat makers that we know on this site or that are in the US as I do not own another handmade one yet.
I have an AB Henry, which you cannot really compare with as it is a factory made fedora. But I have to say you do notice the difference between them, the Advintage being a handmade one ;)
Anyaway, I thought i'd put a link to some pics of it... http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/colds ... 7.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can also see it next to the Henry.

Hope it helps to make an opinion.

Regards :TOH:
JM
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

adVintage wrote:
The quality of the Poet has changed in the last years. We are working together with Herbert Johnson directly. They now use a thicker and better felt for them and also the sewing improved. If you order directly from swaineadeney you will pay about USD 335,- without shipping, our price is about USD 213.50. I can't see why that should be over priced.
This is the first negative comment I read about my work, I am shocked a bit. Could you please let me know if you ordered directly from me or whose fedora you had in hands? When I started making hats in 2009 I still hat to learn many things, but I think in the last two years the hats I made can compete against most of the other fedoras, especially for that price.

Thanks
Thomas
Thus I offer my apologies. I was unaware of any changes to the either the felt used, much less the production of said. Thank you for correcting me and the clarification. I do have a question. I am making the assumption, from your site, that you do style these in any of the four movies versions -- is this correct? Thanks. W>
adVintage
Vendor

Post by adVintage »

Thus I offer my apologies. I was unaware of any changes to the either the felt used, much less the production of said. Thank you for correcting me and the clarification. I do have a question. I am making the assumption, from your site, that you do style these in any of the four movies versions -- is this correct? Thanks.
No need for apologies! I know how bad the felt was some years ago. Yes, I also bash the Poets. One can choose between the "standard" movie styles I offer or send me a pic of a scene (open crowned is also available of course).

I just shipped out one Poet fedora to a US customer today and he wanted to write a review here when when it arrives.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Are you sourcing any of the Portugese felt like Marc Kitter uses for his ABD line, if I may ask?

Any of the Portugese felts (especially beaver) is 'el primo' material! Love that stuff! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
twistedotter
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by twistedotter »

Just to chime in. I bought a custom adVintage a couple of years ago and I've been very pleased. I also bought a Penman right around that same time. They are the only two quality Indy hats that I own and I store them on the hat rack side by side. They both fit and look great. I'd give the Penman the nod for long term quality, but I wind up wearing my adVintage quite a bit. I think I subsconsciously try to "protect" the Penman. Anyway, I have nothing but good things to say about my adVintage custom from a few years ago.

Later! Twistedotter
Obi Sean Kenobi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Obi Sean Kenobi »

Gents and Ladies,

Frankly, I had never heard of AdVintage Fedoras prior to reading this thread. Upon reading a bit about them here at COW, talking with the Owner (Thomas), and perusing their website - I decided to take the plunge.

By way of background, I live in the US, and I have been a member here at COW since 2005. I am an infrequent poster, but a fairly regular visitor. I enjoy the site tremendously, and am often discouraged about being on the East Coast whenever I see the pics from the QM summit.

In my, meager, by comparison, fedora collection, I have, currently: an Adventurebilt Henry, a Garrison Raiders, and now an adVintage Herbert Johnson. Throughout the years, I have owned, and sold (or given away): an Akubra Fed IV Deluxe, a Todd's Downtowner, and, briefly, a Todd's Raider.

Below please find my review of the adVintage Herbert Johnson Poet fedora. I have broken down my review into several areas, and I hope many here will find it helpful in the future.

Service

I first made contact with Thomas at adVintage on or about August 26th, 2013, at 10:26 pm via the email system here on COW.
I received an email back from Thomas on or about August 27th, 2013, at 1:06 am (talk about a quick reply given the time difference).
I paid for the hat, via PayPal on August 27th, 2013.
Thomas confirmed my payment on August 28th, 2013, and asked a number of questions, wherein many emails were exchanged, relative to the bash and styling. I opted for the LC bash with the brim curl as seen in the Venice pier scenes.
Thomas emailed me on August 29th, 2013, advising that the hat had shipped via DHL in Germany and he provided a tracking number.
Today, September 6th, 2013, the hat was delivered to me via the USPS.

The box was well packaged, and the hat was well protected.

I am very pleased with the level of service I received from Thomas/AdVintage. Their prompt replies, questions, zeal for good service and customer satisfaction, and VERY fast shipping was refreshing. Frankly, he gave a @#$%!
To have a hat shipped from Germany to Delaware in a little over a week is still a marvel!

The 'Herbert Johnson Factor'

Admit it. You have always wanted an HJ. Despite what you've read here about the quality of modern HJ's as compared to vintage HJ's. Despite reading that its not quite the same hat as used in the original trilogy. Despite reading the suspicions that the HJ and the Christy's are really the SAME hat. Despite hearing horror stories about durability, shrinking and tapering. Despite all of that - youve always been curious. Well maybe I am just talking about myself.

For me, there has always been a bit of grandeur, mystique, and excitement about owning an actual HJ. I just had to try it for myself.

So, yes, I admit, I am a bit biased. Especially when I opened the box and saw that liner.

Felt Quality

I have been obsessing about the felt quality since I placed my Order. I have read about the modern HJ over and over on COW, and am more than cautious/trepidatious.

My assessment: it aint that bad. In hand, it feels similar to my factory made AB Henry. Same thickness. Similar color. Similar amount of hardener present. It doesnt have quite the same sheen or luxury as the Henry (given the absence of the Beaver blend) - but its not worlds apart.

The felt is not nearly as floppy as my Garrison Raiders. Nor does it have the well pounced appearance of the custom hat.

However, it is world's better than my former Downtowner, and I would say of similar quality to my Akubra.

Hey, its a factory hat. Its not an AB, nor a Penman. If you know that going in, youre not going to be disappointed.

In all, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the felt. Absolutely better than I expected.

Now time will tell, and a year of so or wear will be the ultimate test. We will see, but I am cautiously optomistic.

Ribbon and Bow Work

I found the ribbon and bow work to be the low point. The ribbon is right at the brim break, and the tacking and bow work seem to be a bit lacking. See the pics.

Bash and Styling

Here is where these guys knocked it out of the park.

I asked for the LC bash with the Venice Pier style brim curve. They. nailed. it.

Overall Impression

My final word, I would do business with adVintage any day of the week. I thought these guys were great.

Very fine service. Very fine work.

Regards,
Sean
Indiana Charles
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Charles »

Excellent review. Glad you had a positive experience.
Obi Sean Kenobi wrote:

Admit it. You have always wanted an HJ.... Well maybe I am just talking about myself.
I'll admit it... I have too.

Congrats on a fine looking hat and a solid bash. (Hey look...just my size) :BD:
:H:

-I.C.
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

I have on HJ from Advintage, and i just hae to say that they are very kind, they respond very quickly to emails, ship fast, and do an amzing work on bashing the hat before sending it.
If i were to buy another hat, that would be from Advintage.
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

hey sean
very valuable review

one question : is it the plain factory HJ or the reblocked/reworked by Advintage version ?
Obi Sean Kenobi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

It's the factory version.

Sorry about that, I should have been more clear!

Sean
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Excellent and thorough review, Sean! Thanks! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

:WLWOP:
Obi Sean Kenobi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

There are pics. Can you see them?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep. They show up for me just fine. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Michaelson wrote:Yep. They show up for me just fine. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
If they are the one's that look like an Herbert Johnson styled in the 'Venice Pier' style -- then, they are here. If not, then I don't know #-o ! No, seriously -- they show up fine on my end of things. W>
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

I mean that this needs more picks.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

baddates1 wrote:I mean that this needs more picks.
Now! I won't argue this one! I would like to see it on! It looks like a superb hat! W>
garytelecastor
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by garytelecastor »

Obi Sean Kenobi wrote:Gents and Ladies,

Frankly, I had never heard of AdVintage Fedoras prior to reading this thread. Upon reading a bit about them here at COW, talking with the Owner (Thomas), and perusing their website - I decided to take the plunge.

By way of background, I live in the US, and I have been a member here at COW since 2005. I am an infrequent poster, but a fairly regular visitor. I enjoy the site tremendously, and am often discouraged about being on the East Coast whenever I see the pics from the QM summit.

In my, meager, by comparison, fedora collection, I have, currently: an Adventurebilt Henry, a Garrison Raiders, and now an adVintage Herbert Johnson. Throughout the years, I have owned, and sold (or given away): an Akubra Fed IV Deluxe, a Todd's Downtowner, and, briefly, a Todd's Raider.

Below please find my review of the adVintage Herbert Johnson Poet fedora. I have broken down my review into several areas, and I hope many here will find it helpful in the future.

Service

I first made contact with Thomas at adVintage on or about August 26th, 2013, at 10:26 pm via the email system here on COW.
I received an email back from Thomas on or about August 27th, 2013, at 1:06 am (talk about a quick reply given the time difference).
I paid for the hat, via PayPal on August 27th, 2013.
Thomas confirmed my payment on August 28th, 2013, and asked a number of questions, wherein many emails were exchanged, relative to the bash and styling. I opted for the LC bash with the brim curl as seen in the Venice pier scenes.
Thomas emailed me on August 29th, 2013, advising that the hat had shipped via DHL in Germany and he provided a tracking number.
Today, September 6th, 2013, the hat was delivered to me via the USPS.

The box was well packaged, and the hat was well protected.

I am very pleased with the level of service I received from Thomas/AdVintage. Their prompt replies, questions, zeal for good service and customer satisfaction, and VERY fast shipping was refreshing. Frankly, he gave a @#$%!
To have a hat shipped from Germany to Delaware in a little over a week is still a marvel!

Admit it. You have always wanted an HJ. Despite what you've read here about the quality of modern HJ's as compared to vintage HJ's. Despite reading that its not quite the same hat as used in the original trilogy. Despite reading the suspicions that the HJ and the Christy's are really the SAME hat. Despite hearing horror stories about durability, shrinking and tapering. Despite all of that - youve always been curious. Well maybe I am just talking about myself.

For me, there has always been a bit of grandeur, mystique, and excitement about owning an actual HJ. I just had to try it for myself.

So, yes, I admit, I am a bit biased. Especially when I opened the box and saw that liner.

Felt Quality

I have been obsessing about the felt quality since I placed my Order. I have read about the modern HJ over and over on COW, and am more than cautious/trepidatious.

My assessment: it aint that bad. In hand, it feels similar to my factory made AB Henry. Same thickness. Similar color. Similar amount of hardener present. It doesnt have quite the same sheen or luxury as the Henry (given the absence of the Beaver blend) - but its not worlds apart.

The felt is not nearly as floppy as my Garrison Raiders. Nor does it have the well pounced appearance of the custom hat.

However, it is world's better than my former Downtowner, and I would say of similar quality to my Akubra.

Hey, its a factory hat. Its not an AB, nor a Penman. If you know that going in, youre not going to be disappointed.

In all, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the felt. Absolutely better than I expected.

Now time will tell, and a year of so or wear will be the ultimate test. We will see, but I am cautiously optomistic.

Ribbon and Bow Work

I found the ribbon and bow work to be the low point. The ribbon is right at the brim break, and the tacking and bow work seem to be a bit lacking. See the pics.

Bash and Styling

Here is where these guys knocked it out of the park.

I asked for the LC bash with the Venice Pier style brim curve. They. nailed. it.

Overall Impression

My final word, I would do business with adVintage any day of the week. I thought these guys were great.

Very fine service. Very fine work.

Regards,
Sean
Great hat Sean.
I have been trying to get a hat from him since August. He told me in August that they would be in by Sept, then is Sept it was Oct, then in Oct, it was November, now it isn't until July of next year. Yet he is advertising all of the sizes of the hats and you have gotten one, so I don't know what the problem is.
But it's a cool hat. Congrats.
adVintage
Vendor

Post by adVintage »

Great hat Sean.
I have been trying to get a hat from him since August. He told me in August that they would be in by Sept, then is Sept it was Oct, then in Oct, it was November, now it isn't until July of next year. Yet he is advertising all of the sizes of the hats and you have gotten one, so I don't know what the problem is.
But it's a cool hat. Congrats.
Herbert Johnson moved with the whole factory last year. Now they are way beyond schedule and have extreme delays in the production. We have placed the new order with Herbert Johnson in July last year. Estimated delivery date was August / September first. We got no new info till November, and then they said "Your order is scheduled for May 2014". :shock: :x There is nothing we can do about it. We are happy to take pre-orders (no payment requiried), if you are willing to wait. I am sorry for this, but what can I do :-k
garytelecastor
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by garytelecastor »

Well, I certainly understand the problems that can come with merchandising.
I don't understand how other people were filling orders from you when all the while
you were telling me that you had none in stock.
That is the only thing I didn't understand.
Sean got his in December.
So that is all that I was trying to point out.
adVintage
Vendor

Post by adVintage »

When Sean got his hat in September (shipped in August) I had one or two of very few sizes in stock, but most sizes were / are out of stock. I don't choose who get's a Poet and who not, I am happy to sell all I have ;) . Sorry for any misunderstanding.
adVintage
Vendor

Post by adVintage »

Hi,

I have sent you a pm some days ago and also asked for more information in this thread, but unfortunately you don't reply. I am still wondering what kind of fedora or from whom you had in hand. Till today I have not sold one adVintage fedora to a customer in the United States (only Herbet Johnson Poets). How can it be that you handled one of them when you live in Minneapolis? If you were mistaken, it would be nice if you could correct your post. If not, it would be nice to give me more information, so that I can improve my work accordingly.

Thanks
Thomas
tedquinton
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by tedquinton »

I heard that Thomas had a new felt supplier - the same felter Marc Kitter uses in Portugal as I understand. (I am not saying it's the same felt). Apparently this new felt was much denser than his former supplier. I was intrigued an ordered one.

Wow you can really feel the quality of this new felt. It is incredibly smooth and soft yet extremely dense. it feels like it would last a thousand years. A mailed fist in a silk glove.

Here are some images:

The felt close up, really doesn't do it justice, you need to feel it.

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I've always been impressed with the Portugese felt that Marc uses and Steve Delk once tried. If this is the same felt source, he's got a winner. :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
tedquinton
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by tedquinton »

I think I'm allowed one more photo, so on location:

This was taken at the ruins of Patara in the Antalya province of Turkey, birthplace of St Nicolas.

It was a major city in the Lycian League, but was later occupied by the Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, and finally the Ottamans but was abandoned in the early modern period as the port became silted up. A fascinating place full of history, like much of Turkey.

I will post some more photos in the scrapbook thread once I've had time to organise them.

Best wishes
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Isn't the felt that Marc uses exclusive to the AB deluxe at the moment? Is what Thomas uses in fact the same?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Jeremiah wrote:Isn't the felt that Marc uses exclusive to the AB deluxe at the moment? Is what Thomas uses in fact the same?

Marc special orders his felt. Just because someone orders from the same felter doesn't mean it's the same felt. Like myself I have special made felt to my specs that are used just for me.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Gotcha.
tedquinton
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by tedquinton »

BendingOak wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:Isn't the felt that Marc uses exclusive to the AB deluxe at the moment? Is what Thomas uses in fact the same?

Marc special orders his felt. Just because someone orders from the same felter doesn't mean it's the same felt. Like myself I have special made felt to my specs that are used just for me.
That's what I thought I'd said. Apologies for any confusion.

Thomas's felt is incredible in its own right. I've just returned home after being caught in a sudden and heavy downpour. The hat stood up brilliantly. I shook off the rain and the felt was barely damp. It seems to have natural water repellency.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

If it's beaver, it will do that.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

edited. sorry.-
Last edited by Indiego Jones on Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I'm sorry to correct you but Marc has all his bodies meet his specs not stock. The same with me. Very little felt I use anymore is from stock that any of my felters that I use. They are made to my specs.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

I edited my last post.
Sorry John, just to clear it up about that post, I'd say "it wasn't exactly me", so to speak.
Again, I'm sorry, it won't happen again.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Nothing to be sorry about.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

:TOH:

I think I need to change my password.- :oops:
adVintage
Vendor

Post by adVintage »

Just want to add that my beaver felt bodies are a special order, too (no stock), and not only the color is custom ;)

They can bear the comparison with the best, that's a promise.
bfett81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by bfett81 »

Here I am sporting one of their Last Crusade fedoras.

LouisiannaJames26
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LouisiannaJames26 »

Awesome bash, reminds me of the motorcycle chase :D
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

Here is a link to see the place the felt is made if anyone is interested. More hatters are starting to use it. Northwest hats is also. But don't expect to pay the same price. The felt is supposed to be exceptional but the price is higher.

http://www.fepsa.pt/company/a-fabrica" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fedoralover
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

The link you provided seems to be broken.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Works for me. :-k

Regard! Michaelson
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

I just re clicked on it and it works for me too. Hmmm, not sure why it won't for you.

fedoralover
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

i am accessing through ipad so perhaps that is the reason.