Measuring for a jacket that actually fits

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Measuring for a jacket that actually fits

Post by indyexpat »

Hi all, I've ordered a couple of jackets and struggle to measure myself in such a way that it translates effectively to an Indy jacket pattern.

I have a Todd size large and for my particular body shape (not the jackets fault), it's the worst fitting jacket I've ever owned. If I measure the jacket and share with another jacket maker, I'll only repeat the same issues. :|

I have a Wested on order (and no idea if it'll fit) and am about to order a Cazadora '36 Ribby Marino.

I can measure my body, I can measure the jacket I have and try and edit the sizes based on best guess however, this won't address things like hang - the front sticking out when unzipped rather than laying flat. There is a mixture of measurements and manufacturer skill here in building a fitted jacket me thinks.. :-k

Has anyone ordered a few and found they fit well? What approach did you take to measuring?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Measuring for a jacket that actually fits

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Part of the problem you may be having is the more faithful the pattern is to the movie jacket, the more ill fitting it is. :?

Ironic, ain't it?

Of the makers you've mentioned, they have all honed their patterns to be very close to the movie jacket. Unfortunately, that may mean you are going to continue to have fit issues.

The US Wings Signature series was criticized for years for being Indy-esque, but not being faithful to the movie pattern. That being said, they are very well made jackets and the easiest to wear off the rack and fit more closely to a 'regular' jacket in design and cut.

If your build falls outside most OTR sizing (arms/torso/shoulders/etc) longer, shorter, wider than the 'norms', you can go custom, and get all the measurements just right, but then you're talking about a significant cost increase.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

Good points.. Wested enroute, will share photos soon.
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

what is your chest size?
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

42" Wested arrived, pics to follow.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

I guess im a giant..all i see are jackets sizes in the low to mid 40s lol..which is why i ended up having to buy new cause I could never find used in my size :rolling: NOW get some pics up dude..lets see it.
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

Wested arrived, oh my what a jacket! My first, not my last. Gorgeous soft leather and measurements pretty good seeing as I eyeballed it. Will base next order on a few edits, narrow the shoulders an inch and length an inch and perfect. Buy Wested!! Also arrived super fast (I li e an hour from them). Very happy.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I guess if you have the cash it pays to order and keep ordering until you get that "perfect" fit!! Love to see some pics... =P~
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Holy cats! If you live that close, get down to the shop and get measured in person.

Or try on the jackets they have on hand until you find one that fits to your absolutely liking.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

You're both right!! I love my Wested. I'll pop in, get measured properly and order again. Pics to follow..
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I never understand this. If you are ordering something like a jacket. Contact the person/company and ask them. They will know best on how they want you to give them measurements.
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

The SA jackets do fit weird in my opinion. They have a special look about them for sure, but I recommend, for a normal real world fit, the Wested signature series. They fit like a jacket should and still have a very faithful Raiders Indy look. I wear it for every day use. I think it has to be loose fitting and the sleeves have to go down to the knuckles.