The Penman post 'em up Pages....The Adventure Continues...

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

david_h
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: The Penman post 'em up Pages....The Adventure Continues.

Post by david_h »

I've not added a photo here for ages, so here's one.

Penman CS in Black Cherry, posted this hat before, but it is a real favorite.

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

shade88 wrote:Had a great conversation with John about my Penman Raiders that I sent for refurbishment. Out of the whole conversation, I think we only talked about my hat for a few minutes. We talked about everything from the light-weight rabbit felt, to awesome TV shows like Lost, our disappointment in the cancellation on Almost Human and Intelligence, and dabbled into a conversation about KOTCS, Star Wars VII, and Guardians of the Galaxy. Also got to hear of some hats that John got to work on for some important people (some mentioned on here, some not). ;) :-$

All in all, an awesome conversation. :TOH:

hey, that was you. :rolling: I find it funny when I talk with a member and talk with a customer on the phone. Then it turns out to be the same person. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: I've been in the hat cave too long.

Great chatting with you.
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

BendingOak wrote:
shade88 wrote:Had a great conversation with John about my Penman Raiders that I sent for refurbishment. Out of the whole conversation, I think we only talked about my hat for a few minutes. We talked about everything from the light-weight rabbit felt, to awesome TV shows like Lost, our disappointment in the cancellation on Almost Human and Intelligence, and dabbled into a conversation about KOTCS, Star Wars VII, and Guardians of the Galaxy. Also got to hear of some hats that John got to work on for some important people (some mentioned on here, some not). ;) :-$

All in all, an awesome conversation. :TOH:

hey, that was you. :rolling: I find it funny when I talk with a member and talk with a customer on the phone. Then it turns out to be the same person. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: I've been in the hat cave too long.

Great chatting with you.
Great talking with you as well John. My dad was impressed about some of your recent hat projects, and for whom they belong. :TOH:
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

John's a real hat/fedora enthusiast on top of being a professional hat maker, you will always get great customer service and he is on the level with you. Enjoy !!! :TOH:
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

micsteam wrote:John's a real hat/fedora enthusiast on top of being a professional hat maker, you will always get great customer service and he is on the level with you. Enjoy !!! :TOH:
Agreed! I got a call from John last Friday on my commute home which was to inform me of an outgoing shipment! He gave me some great insight into his day and how he works through the list of orders. It certainly helped me see how well he has his process worked out and also how much he truly enjoys what he does. I wish I were closer to his shop to meet in person, but I can definitely say that he's a top-notch enthusiast and a very professional hat maker. I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing his work first-hand and will be posting pics as soon as possible.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

APL wrote:
micsteam wrote:John's a real hat/fedora enthusiast on top of being a professional hat maker, you will always get great customer service and he is on the level with you. Enjoy !!! :TOH:
Agreed! I got a call from John last Friday on my commute home which was to inform me of an outgoing shipment! He gave me some great insight into his day and how he works through the list of orders. It certainly helped me see how well he has his process worked out and also how much he truly enjoys what he does. I wish I were closer to his shop to meet in person, but I can definitely say that he's a top-notch enthusiast and a very professional hat maker. I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing his work first-hand and will be posting pics as soon as possible.

Thank you, it was good chatting with you. If ever in my neck of the woods please stop by. :TOH:
gi_canuck
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by gi_canuck »

My 2nd Penman!! It's a beauty. The fact I can get the nice "Raiders Swoop" even with my round oval skull, proves the master craftsmanship of Master John Penman. Thank you very much, John!! Now I have to send you my favorite beat-up (but well loved and worn) 5-year-old Penman back to you for a reblock.

APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

That looks awesome! :BD:
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Today, I received my shipment and it is amazing! Of course, John had a better looking picture on his Istagram feed two Friday's back, but I snapped a quick one and hope to get more this week. Before I get to that, though, just a couple of notes: the sweat and liner are nicer than on any hat I own. The fit is the most comfortable of any hats I have, and that never happens for me, even with the same exact measurements. The color ribbon and felt are exactly what I was hoping for, and the felt feels wonderfully soft and smooth. And John has mastered the boxy look of Indy's crown in Raiders/LC/CS hats. :clap:

Here's my quick-pic that again, doesn't look as good as John's pics, but I'll try to get better ones throughout the week:

Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Nice.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Sweet lookin lid my friend, wear it in good health. :clap:
Me I'm anxiously awaiting January for my Legacy, countin the days. \:D/

Croft :mrgreen:
hulkamad
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by hulkamad »

david_h wrote:I've not added a photo here for ages, so here's one.

Penman CS in Black Cherry, posted this hat before, but it is a real favorite.

Whew! That black cherry is dynamite to look at! That is a sharp hat you have there sir!
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

It's not on my head, but then when it is I haven't had much time to snap a pic. And with the lighting in my office, the color is slightly lighter than in person, but it still looks amazing.

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Nicer picture than the others, no offense, selfies just don't do Penman's justice, but Surely (I know don't call me Shirley O:) ) can sanp a sht at ya.
Nice lookin lid my friend.

APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Indiana Croft wrote:Nicer picture than the others, no offense, selfies just don't do Penman's justice, but Surely (I know don't call me Shirley O:) ) can sanp a sht at ya.
Nice lookin lid my friend.

Agreed, with the exception of David's (he has a way of capturing the hat's best qualities very well). Of course, I'm always of the opinion that a hat looks better on the head, but that's not always easy to capture in a picture. What I need is a professional taking the pic with the hat on. :mrgreen:
j2m
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by j2m »

Gorgeous hat APL!!!
John is truly an artist :notworthy: I have the privileged of owning a CS fedora from him myself, still have to post pics of it though :CR: will do that soon!
I could not imagine myself anymore buying a lid from someone else than John!

Best regards :TOH:

JM
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Looky what I got this weekend :D I'll elaborate at a later time (And the white thing on the ribbon is some sort of glare)

:TOH:

trancoss
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by trancoss »

me like it!!!! :D :D :D
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Nice! Now I'm gonna guess that that is a streets of Cairo style without the dirt right?
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

baddates1 wrote:Nice! Now I'm gonna guess that that is a streets of Cairo style without the dirt right?
I don't think so! This just may be the new rabbit felt Legacy that John has come out with! Look at the incredible floppiness look to this one! I could very well be wrong, but either way -- this is one beautiful hat! W>
Jacques
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jacques »

The hat looks great! Now I really want one of those... :whip:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

WConly wrote:
baddates1 wrote:Nice! Now I'm gonna guess that that is a streets of Cairo style without the dirt right?
I don't think so! This just may be the new rabbit felt Legacy that John has come out with! Look at the incredible floppiness look to this one! I could very well be wrong, but either way -- this is one beautiful hat! W>
Doubt it. Could be wrong, but I remember John saying he did not want anyone to ask to change orders to the AB legacy hat back in that thread and the wait time was well into the new year for a new order right about the time these LB hats went up live on his site.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Jeremiah wrote:
WConly wrote:
Doubt it. Could be wrong, but I remember John saying he did not want anyone to ask to change orders to the AB legacy hat back in that thread and the wait time was well into the new year for a new order right about the time these LB hats went up live on his site.
The first order posted on this site was placed August 18. With a 4-5 month wait it's unlikely we will see one before the end of the year.

It looks to be about the thickness of the one Penman I have in rabbit felt. :TOH:
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! It is, without a doubt, the best hat I've ever had! It feels like it came straight out of the movie!!
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Beaver?
dorian.jedi.master
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by dorian.jedi.master »

I just received my Raiders beaver felt from John! I'll post pics soon! Amazing! John this Fedora is the best I've ever seen! My compliments on your craftsmanship!
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Jeremiah wrote:Beaver?
Nope... Rabbit
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

That is in fact the first Legacy Raiders hat. I had to jump ahead a little on the list for a couple of reasons. 1, lack of payment and for strange reason a lot of people have the same size head so I have a back log on that one block.

Bruce, I just blocked yours.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

BendingOak wrote:That is in fact the first Legacy Raiders hat. I had to jump ahead a little on the list for a couple of reasons. 1, lack of payment and for strange reason a lot of people have the same size head so I have a back log on that one block.

Well, now that I have the ok, I'll elaborate. Yes, this is the Legacy hat. It's floppiness is ridiculous (in a good way)!!! It moves just like the hat you see in the truck chase scene. Truly a work of art! John has, once again, gone above and beyond. He even blocked my hat while I was on the phone with him. His customer service is what makes me a repeat customer... of course the hats don't hurt :lol:

Thanks so much, John! :TOH:
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Here it is after some light weathering...

This is what comes with the hat:

Hat box with AB logo/map

COA from John and Steve

Hat brush and AB lapel pin

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

:shock: =P~ :clap: :clap: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:lol: :) ;) :TOH:

Kinda say's it all.
John you really no how to make a bad day a ray of sunshine.

Thank you for the good news.

Oh and \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

BendingOak wrote:That is in fact the first Legacy Raiders hat. I had to jump ahead a little on the list for a couple of reasons. 1, lack of payment and for strange reason a lot of people have the same size head so I have a back log on that one block.

To quote Professor Henry Jones, Sr. (in LC): "I knew it! I knew it!" And, it is all due to your video on the hat, John. I could tell by the drape/floppy-factor that this was the Legacy Raiders! :tup: , :tup: ! One incredibly beautiful piece of work! W>
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Well, while I loved the shots of this hat in 'it's' pristine condition, I must admit -- you did a great job of giving it some wear-look! Great hat! Looks superb on you too! W>
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Congrats. i was wrong about that one.

Looks good.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

I noticed the last time I was on(sometime last month) the website, that the SoC penman hat wasn't listed. I'm guessing this has to do with the latest offering of the Raiders hat?
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

baddates1 wrote:I noticed the last time I was on(sometime last month) the website, that the SoC penman hat wasn't listed. I'm guessing this has to do with the latest offering of the Raiders hat?
Probably a combination of that, the fact the Cairo was a pretty labor intensive specialty item, and John just really never enjoyed the idea of taking a brand new custom made hat and beating the living daylights out of it and turning it into a wreck before sending it out.

It does make the existing ones a bit more special though.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

knibs7 wrote:
COA from John and Steve

What does the COA say? You can't read it in this small photo.

Regard! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:
baddates1 wrote:I noticed the last time I was on(sometime last month) the website, that the SoC penman hat wasn't listed. I'm guessing this has to do with the latest offering of the Raiders hat?
Probably a combination of that, the fact the Cairo was a pretty labor intensive specialty item, and John just really never enjoyed the idea of taking a brand new custom made hat and beating the living daylights out of it and turning it into a wreck before sending it out.

It does make the existing ones a bit more special though.

I think with the legacy line it does a couple things for me. I never liked replicating all the poor craftmenship that went into the HJ Raiders hat. The poor stitching of the ribbon, the soft brim break, etc, etc. now all my Penman hats ( including my Indy line of hats) can be put together clean and the neat and the way a hat should be. With the legacy I will replicated as close as possible all the details flaws and all. I dropped the Cairo out of the Penman line of Indy hats. If one wanted a Cairo hat from me know, I would suggest buying the Legacy hat and just add the fullers earth. I will be adding a video on how to do that because I think I have one more Cairo on order still left.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Cool! Will look forward to that video! Thanks for clearing this up.
LouisiannaJames26
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LouisiannaJames26 »

Awesome :D
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

I would imagine as a hat maker it would be difficult to intentionally distress one's own work, especially if you are a perfectionist like I understand John to be.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Here are some more shots for you of the Raiders from the ABL collection….

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... uploaded=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

BendingOak wrote:Here are some more shots for you of the Raiders from the ABL collection….

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... uploaded=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:clap: Looks great John!
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Now that's what I was talking about earlier, John that hat looks awesome.
And knibs7, nice job giving it that worn Ciro look. Not sure if I'll be doing the same, but this will be my go to hat, unless were in for huge down pour. Ill always be nervous with my other rabbit in the rain. Plus it already has the fullers earth treatment and I don't want it getting wet.
But digress, knibs7, the hat looks awesome, wear it in good health. :TOH:

trancoss
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by trancoss »

It is a beautiful hat. However, for newbies like me, what is the difference between this hat and a regular Penman? :-k I mean, they are done by the same person.
Any clarifications will be appreciated :)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

knibs7 wrote:Here it is after some light weathering...

I'm curious what size your hat is and what the brim dimensions are.

I'm sure it's the nature of mirror/selfie distortion, but the brim looks like it's 4" your left-hand side.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

trancoss wrote:It is a beautiful hat. However, for newbies like me, what is the difference between this hat and a regular Penman? :-k I mean, they are done by the same person.
Any clarifications will be appreciated :)
in simple terms..its a different felt.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Different block, different felt different, sweatband and ribbon. It's sewn like the HJ hat . If you go to my site http://www.penmanhats.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you can read more about it.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Indiana Jeff wrote:
knibs7 wrote:Here it is after some light weathering...

I'm curious what size your hat is and what the brim dimensions are.

I'm sure it's the nature of mirror/selfie distortion, but the brim looks like it's 4" your left-hand side.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff

Nada? Nothing? Zip? Zilch? :(

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Michaelson wrote:
knibs7 wrote:
COA from John and Steve

What does the COA say? You can't read it in this small photo.

Regard! Michaelson
Same here. :roll:

Michaelson