Bill Kelso Relic Hunter

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Bill Kelso Relic Hunter

Post by indyexpat »

Hi guys, not posted in here for a while mainly as I've had many bills to pay before my good lady agreed I can get my dream jacket. That time has come and a Kelso is what I want.

They can accommodate almost any hide and variation. Has anyone a Kelso jacket for recommendations? Striated or grainey lambskin? Many of my choices have been raiders themed so far but I am aware of the poor cut of the original. I'm sure the Relic Hunter will be superior to the original and seeing as I plan to live in this jacket, any recommendations welcome..
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Bill Kelso Relic Hunter

Post by Tibor »

Uh... Yes, buy one. :) Is that what you mean?

Do you like course grain or a smoother hide?
Do you like a longer or shorter jacket?
How tall are you?
What size jacket do you wear?

I've had both the striated and grainy versions. My personal preference is the striated, but I'm partial to the first generation which was a little less grainy. That said, the current striated is a great, drapey, grainy hide that smells terrific and captures the look beautifully.

As far as the cut of the original, Kelso has done a good job of matching that "fall off your shoulders" effect, so if you don't like that, a Kelso probably isn't the best choice. But I don't think you can capture the exact look without that cut.
Ride Guy
Staff Emeritus

Post by Ride Guy »

Tibor, how does the Kelso compare to the Todds or Wested Hero? Is the current version of the Kelso striated lamb a good match for SA Streets of Cairo color? If you order standard sizes (say 40R), does the fit match a SA look with no adjustments needed? Thanks.

Ride Guy
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Ride Guy wrote:Tibor, how does the Kelso compare to the Todds or Wested Hero? Is the current version of the Kelso striated lamb a good match for SA Streets of Cairo color? If you order standard sizes (say 40R), does the fit match a SA look with no adjustments needed? Thanks.

Ride Guy
All three are cut very similarly. Todd's are on the shorter side, both in body and sleeve length. I like the look of the leather, but stopped ordering them because I need the sleeve length.

I generally have liked Wested's Hero, though recently the pocket flaps have been getting too ponty in the center and the collar has grown too large ... much closer to a Last Crusade collar. The shrunken lamb is a very nice hide that captures an aged look without looking artificially aged.

When you ask about a "SA Streets of Cairo" look, I'm not sure what you mean. He didn't wear a jacket in the Streets of Cairo. If you're after the color you see on screen in the truck chase, it depends on the lighting. The Wested shrunken lamb and Kelso's striated lamb both capture the dark look in some light and the actual somewhat lighter off-screen appearance in other light. The Todd's always looks dark in pretty much all light.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Please give us pics when it arrives, good luck !! :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

for future customers or anyone in a dilemma about jacket choices....

The BK would be superior in terms of the construction, materials and skin as it is sourced. It is a very well made jacket. Some describe it as old world craftsmanship. The striated lamb will be a very close likeness to the film jacket. The fit is like the Hero in the sense that it incorporates the quirks of the film jacket pattern as copied from the TN Raiders jacket, which was a 1:1 copy of the LFL archives jacket, apparently.

There are other, cost effective choices as well, but it just depends on its intended use, whether you want an everyday jacket, or just a very good repro. of the prop garment, as it appeared in film? Having said that, I only wish these repros were available back in the day, when I first started collecting. We would have had a much better chance of stopping with one jacket. I think everyone owes it to themselves to try the Todd's jacket, which is very faithful to the original, and cost effective, for $200, if you can wear an OTR size? Next, would be the S&J Cazadora, which is currently the most SA jacket you can buy. The BK tops it in the area of materials, construction and top quality skin, but the BK is also about $500 more expensive, as well. Only the G&B Expedition would top the BK in terms of its construction. Next would be the Hero from Wested, and you would obviously get customized options such as sleeves, back and chest. Other measurements can be submitted as well.

Gauge these options accordingly and select one for yourself according to its intended use. 4 top quality and solid options in all price ranges from high end, middle, to the budget conscious fan. Occasionally, members will do a side by side comparison, and its amazing how often the front runner is the Todd. A few tweaks on Todd's Raiders jacket, such as a thin yoke, meaning about 3" wide at both sides of the seams, and rounded flaps and I would visually put it up against anything out there to date.
Ride Guy
Staff Emeritus

Post by Ride Guy »

Thanks Tibor, I did mean the mechanic fight and desert chase for the jacket and not the streets of Cairo; that's the hat.

Thanks Texan Scott for the detailed synopsis. You said the S&J Cadorza was the most SA but the Kelso tops it in other areas. Does the Kelso match it in SA for color/texture.

Bottom line, if you were looking to buy just one SA jacket, that would be the last one you'd ever purchase, AND price were not a factor, which would be your top raiders jacket pick? I'd appreciate everyone else's opinion on this too.

Thanks for your insights.

Ride Guy
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Texan Scott wrote:Next, would be the S&J Cazadora, which is currently the most SA jacket you can buy.
Just asking because I don't know. How so? :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Tough call. The repro LFL jackets have made it so. Depends on what you are looking for, but if price were no option, I'd still recommend Todd's first. Better to get a $200 jacket that is easy to resell at say $150, than to get an $850 jacket that would be very difficult to resell at that price. Everyone has a list of preferences and a different take on what they want. For instance, when Ray was new to the forum, I recommended the RH, but he was very happy with the Todd's that he wound up buying two, so that always stuck in my mind. Todd's is OTR, and if you receive it and don't like it, it can be returned, the customized RH cannot. On the other hand, if you have the itch to buy the RH, then do it. Todd's has also become a good likeness of the film jacket, especially in terms of the skin. Personal preference, but my S&J is as of now a sentimental favorite, because it is made for fans, by fans. Diego takes special care and attention to detail that only a fan or someone from this forum would appreciate. As mentioned before, the S&J remains the only one whereby the pattern has not been tweaked to make it more wearable. Attention to the specs of the original is superb. I have the Raiders in thin cow, and had it been the first jacket I ever received, I probably would have never had the desire to buy another. I prefer a very faithful repro of the original, so that is much of my reasoning.

Having said all that, it really comes down to personal preference, in what you want in a jacket. Some prefer to buy a Wested Hero because it is still made by the original maker-under his roof, while the Californians almost always seem to go for the Todd's.. :P If you want a high end jacket with superb materials, leather and construction, go RH. If you want a very accurate repro of the prop garment, give S&J the nod. If it has to be from the original maker, try the Wested Hero. If you are budget conscious and want a jacket that very much retains the flavor, then Todd's is a great value for the dollar.
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

Great feedback guys thanks. I started with a Todd's only it seemed quite short and tight in the arms (I'm pretty thick set) and it arrived with a crimped collar that's permanently put me off. I also don't like the open pleats at the back making the whole jacket feel a bit costumy for me. I do love Todd's boots, pants and shirts though..

Is the straighted lamb a soft leather to wear? Also is the S&J Cazadora still available? Interested to see.

Regarding the Wested, leather preference tips anyone? I'm set on the BK but think I'll end up with around three jackets, two dozen shirts, etc etc.

P.s. love my Garrison raiders hat. Want the traveller one next..
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

I've decided to get a wested hero too. Are they fitted? I'm tight in the chest at 42".

Leather choices?
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

indyexpat wrote:I also don't like the open pleats at the back making the whole jacket feel a bit costumy for me.
Aren't open pleats SA?
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

Cajunkraut wrote:
indyexpat wrote:I also don't like the open pleats at the back making the whole jacket feel a bit costumy for me.
Aren't open pleats SA?
You are quite right. My observations are based on my physique in a Todd's jacket compared to others I've seen. The Kelso is open but has an internal flap/adjustment area that looks right but keeps a cool draft out. It is not as accurate as Todd's in this respect however I prefer it as a looks right and feels right every day kind of jacket. Perhaps this is a raiders look with crusade mod jacket?
Ride Guy
Staff Emeritus

Post by Ride Guy »

So If I am ordering a BK Relic Hunter in 40R (which was the reported size of HF in Raiders); the standard sleeve size for this said to be "Size 40 has a sleeve length of 25 1/2". Does that match the SA version of the jacket? The Straited Lamb is supposedly as spot on as possible for the main hero leather as seen in the mechanic fight/desert chase; I'm curious about the other aspects of fit and key dimensions...Thanks.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Ride Guy wrote:So If I am ordering a BK Relic Hunter in 40R (which was the reported size of HF in Raiders); the standard sleeve size for this said to be "Size 40 has a sleeve length of 25 1/2". Does that match the SA version of the jacket? The Straited Lamb is supposedly as spot on as possible for the main hero leather as seen in the mechanic fight/desert chase; I'm curious about the other aspects of fit and key dimensions...Thanks.
I would try asking someone with a TN Zero jacket. My sleeves are normally 23.5", but when I tried on the Zero jacket they were about 24.5"

:TOH:

Kyle
Last edited by knibs7 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

knibs7 wrote:
Ride Guy wrote:So If I am ordering a BK Relic Hunter in 40R (which was the reported size of HF in Raiders); the standard sleeve size for this said to be "Size 40 has a sleeve length of 25 1/2". Does that match the SA version of the jacket? The Straited Lamb is supposedly as spot on as possible for the main hero leather as seen in the mechanic fight/desert chase; I'm curious about the other aspects of fit and key dimensions...Thanks.
I would try asking someone with a TN 1:1 jacket. He copied the jacket exactly from an original Raiders jacket

:TOH:

Kyle
I admire the group knowledge even though you're all collectively going to cost me a fortune!
bobbyd
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by bobbyd »

Ride - I've been trying to figure out the correct size to order, myself. I believe the BK size 40 (aka HF size) dimensions have been posted before, but here they are again (as Andy recently relayed them to me for clarification):
pit to pit 22.5 in
shoulders 20 in
back 23 in
sleeve 25.5 in

I'm still waiting to hear what the waist measurement is, as that's where I'm most likely to ask for customization.

- bd
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

bobbyd wrote:Ride - I've been trying to figure out the correct size to order, myself. I believe the BK size 40 (aka HF size) dimensions have been posted before, but here they are again (as Andy recently relayed them to me for clarification):
pit to pit 22.5 in
shoulders 20 in
back 23 in
sleeve 25.5 in

I'm still waiting to hear what the waist measurement is, as that's where I'm most likely to ask for customization.

- bd
I'll measure it when I get home tonight, (if I remember). I have the very first Cairo jacket, and a Victory horse in that size. The sleeves are shorter for a regular size 40 jacket than the HF jacket. I think HF had 26.5?
Ride Guy
Staff Emeritus

Post by Ride Guy »

So do you think the standard 40R (purported to be HF size for ROTLA) with the 25.5 inch sleeves is an inch short as compared to the screen used one?
bobbyd
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by bobbyd »

Per Andy's email to me, the regular size 40 and the "HF size" are one in the same. As for why they're listed separately in the size dropdown, I do not know.
I've also been told that the waist measurement for the 40/HF is 19 1/2".
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Ride Guy wrote:So do you think the standard 40R (purported to be HF size for ROTLA) with the 25.5 inch sleeves is an inch short as compared to the screen used one?
Sorry, my mistake, don't mean to spread bad information. The HF copy has 25.5" sleeves. I also didn't measure the jacket, will try tonight!