Bullwhips!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Bullwhips!

Post by RedburnIV »

So it's been really slow around this part of the forum lately. Ridiculously slow. What's everyone up to with their whips? Any new additions? Post some pics or vids and let's get some life back into this section! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AntonioPastor
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: Bullwhips!

Post by AntonioPastor »

Yeap...the entire forum is a bit slow. We need Indy V to begin filming.
On the other side. Jeremy fron JMWhips is making me a Raiders 9 ft....will post some pics when it crosses the border and arrives to "Otomi" lands (Querétaro, México).

Saludos.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

This happens every year. :lol: Here in the U. S. schools are out and folks head for the beach or elsewhere, so they're not sitting at their computers like usual.

Regard! Michaelson
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Wonderful Antonio! Hear good things about those whips! I have one from Midwestwhips on the way! Can't wait :)

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I've been sun tanning my JM 16-plait Indy, darkening the leather to match my vintage DM. I had Jeremy replace the original fall with a custom bridle leather fall by MakeItJones. Also pictured here is the Wested custom LC I bought from Zoltar, a vintage unissued Whiteley's bag w/ MIJ LC strap, and custom LC holster.

Hi-res pic: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3870/144 ... 4628_o.jpg
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Wow that looks awesome! What about your vintage DM? I'd like to see that. I have one too. A 12 footer.

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Well, by 'vintage' I mean circa 2001, which is vintage enough for me. It's a #453 8-foot DM with a custom shortened handle. A few months ago I replaced the original fall with a MakeItJones fall in medium brown bridle leather, which perfectly matches the shade of the aged kangaroo leather.

Hi-res pic: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3893/143 ... 8148_o.jpg
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

Here is my latest Joe Strain. It just got back from wining the Rocky Mountain Leather Debut.

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Awesome whip! It looks like a coral snake! :whip:
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Snakes why did it have to be snakes!?......
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

whipwarrior wrote:I've been sun tanning my JM 16-plait Indy, darkening the leather to match my vintage DM. I had Jeremy replace the original fall with a custom bridle leather fall by MakeItJones. Also pictured here is the Wested custom LC I bought from Zoltar, a vintage unissued Whiteley's bag w/ MIJ LC strap, and custom LC holster.

Wow the colors looking very nice!
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Well, it's a VERY nice whip! And to prove it, I got a custom Euro vanity plate for my new MK6 Golf:

Since 'whip' is slang for a sporty car, and also in the literal sense, a bullwhip (my favorite weapon). So it's perfect! :whip:
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Bullwhips!

Post by RedburnIV »

The newest edition to my collection, is the one on the far right. It's a 10 ft raiders by Casey Tyler in a darkened natural hide. It's an incredible whip with beautiful braiding and construction. It sits with my 9ft KotCS Joe Strain and my 12ft David Morgan from the 90's there on the far left.
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

whipwarrior wrote:I've been sun tanning my JM 16-plait Indy, darkening the leather to match my vintage DM. I had Jeremy replace the original fall with a custom bridle leather fall by MakeItJones. Also pictured here is the Wested custom LC I bought from Zoltar, a vintage unissued Whiteley's bag w/ MIJ LC strap, and custom LC holster.

Is it me or is there a mistake in the braid about 7" from the transition knot? Not that it matters, still a lovely looking whip - just wondering if I'm begining to be able to recognise these things.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

No, that's the transition from the 8-seam pattern to the standard herringbone plait, faithfully replicating David Morgan's Classic Bullwhip from the 1990's. I commissioned it from Jeremy last summer, and he has since added it to the offerings on his website: http://www.jmwhips.com/index.php/whips?id=104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Ah Ok - that's someting new to me!
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

This is my newest Bullwhip as the topic asked...I made this for myself. I was waiting til my Trinity Whip CO. Website was up and running in a few weeks to release pictures...but I just couldn't wait.I made this for the website...but I planned on keeping her before I made it. I call the the Cobra Commander's Crimson Guard. Named after the red robed guards the protect his throne room. The only problem is I planned to make a Snake Head Fall Hitch...but spaced it while braiding. I will make a 6' twin soon and will definitely make it then. I will replicate...but this one is mine! I have even more similar items in the mix to make available...but you guys will have to wait a few til it is up and running to see what all I can do. God Bless. -Blake

http://s1026.photobucket.com/user/indyv ... 0%20footer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

I have to say whipwarrior, your whips almost look humongous!!! They look awesome! are thye all made by JM whips?

Regards from an extraordinary gentleman: baddates1
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Oh wait..... they are NOT all JM whips.....
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

Nope...There are some Joe Strain, David Morgan, Casey Tyler, Blake Bruning....and there is a J.M. whip
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

baddates1 wrote:I have to say whipwarrior, your whips almost look humongous!!! They look awesome! are thye all made by JM whips?
The first one (pictured with the jacket) is the Jeremy McEachern bullwhip; the second whip is my David Morgan. Both are 8-foot models with short handles. On the 16-plait Indy, I had Jeremy copy the dimensions of the DM #453 Special, since that's the style I'm most comfortable using. The finished product turned out so perfect that I vowed it was the last whip I would ever buy! :whip:
yagottabe
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by yagottabe »

Love the line-up you have there RedburnIV.

Regards

Aaron
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

You know...UV rays breakdown the leather...thus weakening it and decrrasing life span.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Tan in moderation and oil frequently. Never had a problem with leather deterioration in 20 years of whipcracking. :whip:
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

whipwarrior wrote:Well, it's a VERY nice whip! And to prove it, I got a custom Euro vanity plate for my new MK6 Golf:

Since 'whip' is slang for a sporty car, and also in the literal sense, a bullwhip (my favorite weapon). So it's perfect! :whip:
Hahaha thats awesome! Very cool!
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Thanks! :TOH:
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

moses wrote:

Is it me or is there a mistake in the braid about 7" from the transition knot? Not that it matters, still a lovely looking whip - just wondering if I'm begining to be able to recognise these things.
When working with plait counts higher than 12, one concern in bullwhips, especially those who may not have extensive internal bindings on the transition zone, is the flop at the end of the handle once the whip ages. Why is this a concern in high plait count whips, you ask? A few reasons, one is the strands are narrower which means they do not support as much as a wider strand might, another is the thinner the strand, the less force you can use to plait it, though to be fair, even at this size, a kangaroo strand is very resistant. So with this in mind and knowing the transition zone is a problem inherent with the bullwhip design, one way to minimize said flop, if to go from the diamond plait that covers the handle into an 8-seem plait as you leave the handle, instead of the standard 4-seem plait (the herringbone plait), and since the strands are more supported by virtue of being more tightly interwoven, the idea is this will help to better withstand the flop (AKA wet-noodle) effect once the whip has been broken in and the leather has relaxed. It's a very smart design and an elegant solution the the problem.
Cheers,

Franco
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

That's good to know! A beautiful example of form plus function. The whip has loosened up nicely since last summer, but the transition zone is notably stiff because the nail travels a good 3" past the decorative ring knot. Am I correct in supposing that this whip will never suffer the 'wet noodle' effect due to the shorter grip section?
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Length of handle (visible or not) has nothing to do with the wet noodle effect. This happens to whips that are poorly constructed from the inside out. Meaning a whip with no belly (ies) and little to no reinforcement in the transition zone. One could argue that a longer handle produces more of a lever effect and that all things being equal, a longer handle bullwhip might develop more wear and tear in the transition zone than a shorter one (which is normally used with very little if any, leverage). So yes, in one sense, you might say that a longer handle might produce more of a wet-noodle, but to be fair, any whipmaker worth his spit would have accounted for this is his construction and so one needn't be overly concerned about that. It's all about how a whip is made from the inside out, and that being said I'm sure this whip will age as gracefully as any whip can be expected to.

Cheers,

Franco
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

Actually....the strength of a higher plait count is stronger then a lower plait count. If it is a strong 3mm(not a damaged strand)....you could pull your hardest and it wont break champ. The smaller strand will place a stronger force on the binding then a wider lace. The pressure is stronger due to less surface space tension. The wider strand surface is wider and thus spreads out the strength. That is why higher plait counts take longer to break in the whip. Loose noodle effect is due to poor whip making. Yes it is usually poor inside construction...and could be a number of reasons...mainly...the whip maker doesn't pull hard enough at the transition or loosens later down the whip causing looseness to travel back up the braid. Could be they start the second belly to high up the handle and to close to the point of the nail. Doesn't matter what braid...what maters is who is braiding it. Or as the song goes..."It's in the way that your use'n' it!" Signs your whip maker isn't as good as you hoped or think...1) Gaps!(few different reasons here), 2) Wavy'ness(doesn't have even pull through the whole whip), & 3) Lumps(could be the above 2 reasons on the bellies...or other poor craftsmenship). I would share more and go into detail...but don't currently have the time.
Last edited by Blake Bruning on Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

Delet...double post...
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Let's just say a well-made whip will age well regardless of the handle...

Franco