Alden says "cannot restore"... now what

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Alden says "cannot restore"... now what

Post by Luke Warmwater »

I sent my 405s off for restoration and Alden sent them back with a note saying they were "unable to undergo the restoration process", that my restoration fee was "better put to use investing in new footwear." Yeah. At nearly $500 for a new pair, I call shenanigans.

So now what? Has anyone else had this happen to their 405s? Do I let my local cobbler take a crack at resoling them?

Any help would be hot.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Alden says "cannot restore"... now what

Post by Bogie1943 »

This comes with some very odd timing as I am as of this moment looking over my 13 year old Alden 405's and thinking of having them restored. Again. I myself have had great success with a local cobbler. My advice, ask around and see who is doing fine work in your area or perhaps someone you can ship to for repair. That is really going to be your best option now that Alden has given you the thumbs down. May I ask, how old are your Alden's? How often do you wear them?
j_m_t
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by j_m_t »

My first question is how many times have you had them resoled and my second is how old are they.

If you've never had them resoled before then yes I'd call shenanigans but if it's like 3-5 times no since they can only be resoled so many times
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Posting some pictures of them may help. Also, if you've had any work done somewhere else, a lot of the times Alden won't work on them anymore.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'd say your answer is obvious. If Alden's says they can't/wont/ rebuild them, you either toss them or you take them to a local cobbler and let them take a crack at it.

The Alden's repair folks could really care less if you buy another pair or not. They're not a part of the marketing/sales area of the company. If they could fix them, they would, as THEY get the money for the work. If they can't guarantee a good repair to their standards, they pass on the work and let you make the call.

So, I'd not think they're out t forco you to buy a new pair of boots. Like I said, they'd rather get paid for the work but only if they can guarantee the repair to be up to their standards.

Good luck on getting them up and 'running'.

Regards! Michaelson
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Words of wisdom, Michaelson. Odds are in my opinion the area on the upper where the welt and sole are attached Might be too damaged to risk the repair according to Alden standards. If they are that far gone then a local cloggers repair may give you another year of wear. Then again it might not. You just have to weigh the cost to lifespan ratio and if you feel it's worth it then go for it! If not I'd have to say its time to start saving for a new pair or find a nice used pair on eBay.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

If all hope is lost, have pride in the fact that you've actually taken a pair to the limits of its lifespan. :)
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

They're my second-oldest pair (of four) and I live in my Aldens. I have no other shoes. Two brown pair, two black pair. This pair was my adventure shoes and they took me to Europe and through the Sonoran Desert and countless other travels long and short. They've been restored more than once and look (though natural weathering) just like Indy's. I'm loath to just give them up since they are so well molded to my feet, so I'll let a good local cobbler have a go. Thanks for your comments.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Sounds like they may be ready for retirement as a rustic wall mount in the man room then! :D
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

LW, nah, don't toss them. Eventually you'll find a cobbler who'll fix them up. He may look at you like you're crazy, but he's out there, I bet! I mean, Alden is probably technically right, and there may be damage/wear that doesn't justify the rebuild.

Maybe look for someone who does Redwings. I used to know a lot of guys in the trades who resoled work boots many times. It was actually unbelievable sometimes how nice they'd come back. These were guys with at least 2 or 3 pair in their rotation.

Whether you fix them or not, I'd start budgeting for another pair. I've found some like-new boots on ebay. Maybe you've looked, but I've paid the 'new' boot prices from 8 years ago for an almost new pair. Still a bargain compared to the new prices today. Just a thought. :TOH:
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

EXACT same thing happened to me. I sent them to a cobbler in Wellington, who fixed them up beautifully and I've been wearing them tons lately. Alden has gotten lazy with their "refurbish" program and just wants more of your money, simple as that.
alaska_mcghee
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by alaska_mcghee »

On another forum someone sent an 15 year old pair of Florsheim shoes to http://www.nushoe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and had some great results. Looks like they do Alden shoes as well. Maybe give them a try? Or try Shoemart and see how much a pair of seconds cost.
Johnny
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

I found a cobbler not too far from me who sells and repairs orthopedic shoes and he fixed them up for about half the price of an Aldens restoration. My only complaint is that they look a little too nice for Indy's shoes. :lol: All that weathering- GONE.
Indy Magnoli wrote:EXACT same thing happened to me. I sent them to a cobbler in Wellington, who fixed them up beautifully and I've been wearing them tons lately. Alden has gotten lazy with their "refurbish" program and just wants more of your money, simple as that.
I agree.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Wow. This thread is convincing me to buy a pair. They really last that long and are worth restoring? Pretty awesome.
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

Forrest, I know what you're thinking. Why in the wide, wide, world of sports should I pay 500 clams for a pair of shoes? I said the same thing. I bit the bullet and got a pair and by the end of that day I didn't want to wear any other shoes. I now own four pairs. They ended my back problems.