Hero owners - a request

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Hero owners - a request

Post by moses »

I'm trying to decide on the right leather for my my next Wested jacket. I keep going through the Hero thread and checking out the pics and now have a request.
Could some of you please post some pics of how your jackets look now after months or years of wear? Most pics are of jackets fresh out of the box, so to speak, and I'd like to get an idea of how the different leathers look once they've been lived in / broken in.
Thanks,
moses
AdaminNYC
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Hero owners - a request

Post by AdaminNYC »

I got a Wested cowhide. I don't have a photo handy and it's not convenient to snap one as the jacket is under the bed somewhere. That shows how much I love the jacket. It's kind of plasticky and... what's the opposite of buttery? I was hoping that cow would be similar to the Schott cow leather on my biker jackets, but no luck. I've beat the heck out of it, and it just doesn't soften and doesn't look nicely weathered.
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Oh dear..doesn't sound so good!
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I took some quick shots of my crispe lamb today: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Bogie19 ... 20Lambskin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

AdaminNYC wrote:I got a Wested cowhide. I don't have a photo handy and it's not convenient to snap one as the jacket is under the bed somewhere. That shows how much I love the jacket. It's kind of plasticky and... what's the opposite of buttery? I was hoping that cow would be similar to the Schott cow leather on my biker jackets, but no luck. I've beat the heck out of it, and it just doesn't soften and doesn't look nicely weathered.
Pop it in your washing machine with some detergent and warm water on a gentle cycle and dry slowly in the open air. That should help it along.
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Hmmm - had hoped I might get a few more. I guess most Hero owners are SO satisfied they've stopped frequenting the jacket section! ;)
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I have three of my westeds here with me today specifically to take a few pics for your post. Just waiting for the sun to peek out. These are jackets that have not been babied so you will get a good idea of what they eventually morph into. Your righr, outa the box fresh doesnt really do it justice as the Westeds collar is very dynamically awesome after it breaks in. I have always felt their collars were very unique and usually stand out among Indy jackets but look boxy and unimpressive when new. I highly recommend the dark brown lamb for any Wested. Very light weight and wearable for just about any atmosphere. ....pics later today
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Thanks! Looking forward! Actually I have been leaning towards DB lamb, but it is the thinness that puts me off a bit. Peter told me the latest batch of AB lamb are slightly thicker than previous batches, but the DB are still as thin as they were. For that reason I've been considering goat - but my experience with goat is that it can look and feel a bit plasticy.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

moses wrote:Thanks! Looking forward! Actually I have been leaning towards DB lamb, but it is the thinness that puts me off a bit. Peter told me the latest batch of AB lamb are slightly thicker than previous batches, but the DB are still as thin as they were. For that reason I've been considering goat - but my experience with goat is that it can look and feel a bit plasticy.

Many leathers have a plastic feeling at the start because they have are given plasticy painted surface. Wash them to break them in. Goat, is not always plastic. Like all leather it depends on the finish it has been given. Wested used to have a veg tanned leather that broke in very easily and looked worn and earthy.
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

My first Wested was the ROLA they used to offer and it was goat - wore it for two years in all weathers and it never lost the plastic /pleather feel.
Still hoping to see some pics of broken-in Hero jackets
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Here are some pics in order from left to right....
1. ROLA custom job in dark lamb about 4 years old....worn hard and kept in the trunk for emergencies. No pecards and still soft and supple. No damage.
2. Fairly new Last Crusade in Authentic Lamb with artificial distressing.
3. Hero in Dark lamb about a year old but worn very hard with no babying...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... kspy1q.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... j1jfcv.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We have no sun here in CC, Texas today but I think you get the idea...
:TOH:
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Thanks! The two DB lambs seem to be a completely different colour - strange!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

moses wrote:My first Wested was the ROLA they used to offer and it was goat - wore it for two years in all weathers and it never lost the plastic /pleather feel.
Still hoping to see some pics of broken-in Hero jackets
Wow. In 30 years of leather jacket owning I've never seen a jacket that stays plasticy looking if it's worn like you say. Wested must be using some pretty cheap leathers.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I have owned Wested's in several different leathers over the years, but probably the best is made of dark brown, old stock goatskin. The fact that it is light weight, durable and pliable, makes it an ideal skin for a Raiders jacket. Mine is newish looking, but Zoltar's could be the oldest. After it was received, I really did not want another Raiders jacket from the barn. The Hero incorporates the quirks.

It really depends on what you are after, but he has several different cowhides that would make a great LC/CS jacket, as well.

Currently, In-Dieglo Jones has an outstanding looking, thin cowhide with plenty of texture, and warm undertones beneath the surface.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

This is my Hero as it is now.....Seal Brown coloured, normal lambskin........

Nothing else to it.....

moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Looks good! Did you distress it yourself?
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

fifthchamber wrote:This is my Hero as it is now.....Seal Brown coloured, normal lambskin........

Nothing else to it.....

That is a very nice looking jacket. It looks like a heavier leather than my Wested DB lamb from 2005.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Ok this is mine in daylight. Shrunk lamb. It is a standard body length one on my very short body, so it is probably an inch and a half or even more too long for me to be SA, but it is comfortable for daily wear. Wested trousers, custom shirt.

sliuman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by sliuman »

Now, that's what I want my jacket to look like! Looks perfect on you and the extra length, in my mind, actually works.

Is it off the rack, KT, because you mention it's standard length? And is the colour accurate? I can see the photos were taken in sunlight so the white balance looks quite warm.

When I made my first trip to Wested in 2011 I asked about the hero but Peter said it wouldn't fit me.

I took him at his word, as I figured he knew what he was talking about. And I made the mistake of never actually trying one on for size, doh! However, I know we are similar in height (though my gut gets in the way!) and looking at your shrunken lamb jacket I'm getting all fired up again.

I love my novapelle custom but as I'm never going to get dragged behind a truck wearing mine, it's tough breaking it in. (I sometimes feel bulletproof wearing it!)

Thanks for sharing. :TOH:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Hi yes the colour is pretty much like that, it's quite a warm colour so it can be a bit of a surprise if you see it under those horrible low voltage bulbs it can look almost russet.

This one is a standard length 40 with shorter sleeves. I have a 38 with a shorter body and it was perfect... but I washed it and it is like a 22 back now... shorter than I like for day to day wear. If I get a chance I'll take similar pics.
sliuman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by sliuman »

Cheers, mate.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

moses wrote:Looks good! Did you distress it yourself?
Moses, yeah, the distressing was worked in by me with a little high grit sandpaper and some nail filing.....Not especially difficult, although it took a long time to get "right" for me...

It's not especially heavy, but it's heavier than my Todd's, for sure...
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Different day, different camera and with day to day clothes.

Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

KT- I know you mentioned the length issue but it really does look great on you the way it is. Very very nice jacket! :tup: :tup:
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Kt Templar wrote:Different day, different camera and with day to day clothes.

PERFECT Hawaii Indy jacket.
Color, drape, thickness, pattern. All is there.

Congrats!
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Kt Templar, I think that jacket looks spot on and it looks really good on you. I also don't really see a length issue in the back. It's perfect!!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Thanks guys I appreciate the nice comments, it's a super comfortable jacket. I'm just goldilocksing it a bit.

This is my lambtouch cow hero. It was perfect, but then I washed it and it shrunk. It is now just marginally too small and about an inch too short... D'OH!!

sliuman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by sliuman »

Kt Templar wrote:Different day, different camera and with day to day clothes.

Fantastic! If I can get a jacket half as good as that I'd be happy....

Everything I'd want the jacket to be is encapsulated in the first shot.

The needle is at 11 on the envy meter.

Thanks for posting, KT!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

One too long and one too short....aim for the middle! :P
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Texan Scott wrote:One too long and one too short....aim for the middle! :P
:)

Maybe I will wash the shrunk lamb at some point...
ThatManFromRio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ThatManFromRio »

Kt Templar wrote:... It is now just marginally too small and about an inch too short... D'OH!!

I don't see this one as being too short , just a fitted jacket no shorter than some vintage halfbelt . It should pair nicely with dark jeans.
Kt Templar wrote: :) Maybe I will wash the shrunk lamb at some point...
Hoping it will shrink twice ? :lol:
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

I have to admit the shrunk lamb looks great in terms of texture and body (leather weight), but I think the colour is way off for Raiders. I love the dark brown colour that Wested offers in lamb, but I think the lightweight leather is simply too thin and lacking in character. As dak goat doesn't seem to be an option any more, I'm beginning to wonder whether horsehide might be interesting. I know its generally regarded as a heavy skin, but going by the looks of some jackets in Wested's clearance section, it looks lighter and "drapey-er" than the navapelle I used to have.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I'd say the horse is too heavy for a screen look Indy jacket. Fine if you are going the 'Tank' approach but too thick for SA.

The lambtouch cow, if you are willing to go that dark ,is an excellent middle ground. But it takes some breaking in, it looks super flat when new.

But with time and wear it become very drapey and develops very nice grain.

Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

KT can you tell me what the stats on your jacket are? Lengths of back, sleeve, YOUR height too?
thanks

F.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Kt Templar wrote:Thanks guys I appreciate the nice comments, it's a super comfortable jacket. I'm just goldilocksing it a bit.

This is my lambtouch cow hero. It was perfect, but then I washed it and it shrunk. It is now just marginally too small and about an inch too short... D'OH!!

That's the perfect length IMO. It's how I see the movie jacket fitting.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Canuck Digger wrote:KT can you tell me what the stats on your jacket are? Lengths of back, sleeve, YOUR height too?
thanks

F.

Ok I am really short, so I'm at the far left of the curve, it's amazing that I can get such custom sizes anyway.

I am 5.1.

My back length from collar base to small of the back (to the dimples) /middle of the belt is 21".

Measured chest size is 40-42.

The sizes on the jackets are:

Thin Cow
Back 22"
Chest 20.5"
Sleeve 22"

Shrunk Lamb
Back 24.5 (standard OTR length)
Chest 21"
Sleeve 22"

CM I think a lot of the time we see Ford in action poses and the clearest images of the back of the jacket are with the back arched so the jacket is pulled higher up in the back than it would be at rest.

The shorter jacket looks ok here but is just a smidge too short in reality, it is also too tight now as I have lost the breathing room.