My Garrison Raider (Garrison owners unite here!)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Banky
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: My Garrison Raider (Garrison owners unite here!)

Post by Banky »

Spoke to David via email a few days ago. Seems his iphone is acting up a bit and it's part of how he conducts business so if your correspondence with him is delayed that's probably why. Aside from him working his real job.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Emailed him a few days ago. As Banky mentioned, his phone is acting up.

I've gotta say that David's passion and attention to detail for the Indy fedora really shows in his product. Like most vendors here, no one's more particular about recreating the Indy look than a skilled Indy fan. :TOH:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Banky wrote:Spoke to David via email a few days ago. Seems his iphone is acting up a bit and it's part of how he conducts business so if your correspondence with him is delayed that's probably why. Aside from him working his real job.

10-4 thanks. Im gonna send him a cowboy hat he's gonna reshape for me like ole Gus from Lonesome Dove.
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

I am now a proud owner of a Garrison standard fedora. It's a beautiful hat shaped by a good man. Mr. Garrison is a craftsman and his work will stand with the best. But what I liked best is that the hat was more than just purchased: it was earned. UPS crushed the hat during its initial delivery and then UPS just sort of screwed around with it for a long while. What I liked best was the discovery that UPS, beneath it's mask of a major business, is a weird almost anarchistic operation that apparently cannot deal with the responsibility of crushing a fedora. On the other hand, David Garrison came through, a true gentleman. He rebuilt the hat and saw that it arrived in excellent shape. I'll try to live up to it...
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

I am now a proud owner of a Garrison standard fedora. It's a beautiful hat shaped by a good man. Mr. Garrison is a craftsman and his work will stand with the best. But what I liked best is that the hat was more than just purchased: it was earned. UPS crushed the hat during its initial delivery and then UPS just sort of screwed around with it for a long while. What I liked best was the discovery that UPS, beneath it's mask of a major business, is a weird almost anarchistic operation that apparently cannot deal with the responsibility of crushing a fedora. On the other hand, David Garrison came through, a true gentleman. He rebuilt the hat and saw that it arrived in excellent shape. I'll try to live up to it... :tup:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

So I'm leaving for work this morning and my kids want to help pick out which hat to wear.
Fine by me.
I have shelves in our foyer with my hat boxes. My son asked if the color of the box is the same as the color of the hat inside. I told him they are so he cracks the lid a bit on the grey box and peaks in at what I call my Clipper hat (seen on page 10 of this thread) and he says, "Dad, there is a brown hat in this grey box." :?

Perfect response. :D

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jeff wrote:...... and he says, "Dad, there is a brown hat in this grey box." :?

....and that's when the fight started....."

:CR:
didier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by didier »

I can't wait getting my ordered Garrison =P~ ...
I've now reached eight week mark, I think it's going to be happening soon...
I'll post some pics when I'll get it :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Michaelson wrote:
Indiana Jeff wrote:...... and he says, "Dad, there is a brown hat in this grey box." :?

....and that's when the fight started....."

:CR:

Indeed! #-o

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Georgia Steve,man That Fedora screams Raiders! :tup: I think Garrison´s fed´s have the best price and quality with awesome factor..they look what one sees on screen.Love it,I´ll get one someday.
didier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by didier »

Has someone recent news from David Garrison?
Pyrodigital
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Pyrodigital »

ChrisMD: I was down in Orlando myself last Nov, but my girlfriend has all the photos. Got a photo in front of that same tank. Saw that same stunt show twice. Got lots of compliments on my Garrison as well. Love that hat! It even now has a more relaxed brim break after a year of good hard wear. :D Really like how you got the brim swoop on yours. Great lid!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You see me standing in front of the same tank in my new avatar, taken a few weeks ago.

I'm wearing my Ford felt AB that Dave Garrison reblocked for me for the trip, like I mentioned in my post above, and it did a yeoman job!

It got beat up, sat on, spashed, and the hat popped right back into perfect shape each and every time. The kids said they love me wearing my fedora on trips like this as they can spot me anywhere in a crowd.....especially when all you see is a sea of 'Tilleys' or fake safari hats on men's heads. My Garrison reblocked AB stood out in the crowd....literally. :M: :tup:

By the way, I didn't see a 'fake' Indy hat in any of the parks, nor did I see any for sale, so they must have eliminated that item from the shops. Just the Tilly/fake safari type hats were on sale in the Stunt show shops.

As to my hat, it's true, it's not a 'Garrison' made fedora, but it still reflects the quality work Dave does if you ever need one overhauled like mine did.

I had 3 people ask to buy the hat off my head after the stunt show. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

My Garrison Raider (Garrison owners unite here!)

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:You see me standing in front of the same tank in my new avatar, taken a few weeks ago.

I'm wearing my Ford felt AB that Dave Garrison reblocked for me for the trip, like I mentioned in my post above, and it did a yeoman job!

It got beat up, sat on, spashed, and the hat popped right back into perfect shape each and every time. The kids said they love me wearing my fedora on trips like this as they can spot me anywhere in a crowd.....especially when all you see is a sea of 'Tilleys' or fake safari hats on men's heads. My Garrison reblocked AB stood out in the crowd....literally. :M: :tup:

By the way, I didn't see a 'fake' Indy hat in any of the parks, nor did I see any for sale, so they must have eliminated that item from the shops. Just the Tilly/fake safari type hats were on sale in the Stunt show shops.

As to my hat, it's true, it's not a 'Garrison' made fedora, but it still reflects the quality work Dave does if you ever need one overhauled like mine did.

I had 3 people ask to buy the hat off my head after the stunt show. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Ahhhh good ole Disney. I miss it so much. I was just there. They still sell em but they are ghastly. I got a picture with Indy in my Garrison and he asked where I got it haha

Sent from Free America
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Hey, Dave! I'm FINALLY posting pics! This is the vintage Knox Vagabond Dave literally brought back from the dead for me. It was in awful shape (I bought it for five bucks years ago as a hat to experiment on) but had the most incredibly paper-thin felt, the absolute thinnest I've ever come across. I gave it to Dave with the caveat that if it was destroyed because it couldn't handle the rigors of the reblock, that it was no skin off my back or his. A year or two after said reblock, you tell me how well he did. It's the perfect warm weather fedora!
ImageImageImage
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'll follow up bink's post with a photo that Tennessee Smith posted FOR me of my 2006 AB beaver Ford Felt that Dave reblocked for me.

This is the one I put the vent holes in the side of the crown.

This picture was taken at DisneyWorld after it had been rained on, sat on and crushed in more ways than I care to think about. Look how well it kept popping back!

Agreed, Chris. Wish we were back there. :(

Regards! Michaelson
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Nice, nice, NICE!! I'm shopping for a lid and Garrison is a HUGE blip on my radar!!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Wow! Both of those lids are top notch! :clap:

Though, Bink's first picture is turned 90 degrees on my computer. It was fine when I looked at it on my phone. :-k

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Thanks to Chewie for the almost brand new shirts! Here is some feedback: buy things from Chewie, I've had at least 4-5 separate Cairo Bizarre purchases from him and all have been top notch. I wish we had a feedback system. This is my everyday look.

Out at Devil's Backbone which USUALLY looks like a scene from LC....when it isnt snowing. My trusty Garrison Raider keeping the snow off my noggin.

Sent from the iPad in my satchel using Tapatalk at Tanis
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

ChrisMD wrote:I got a picture with Indy in my Garrison
Pic request. :D
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:
Ill find it. I made his hat look like it was retrieved from the dumpster at Hollywood Studios.

Sent from the iPad in my satchel using Tapatalk at Tanis
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

ChrisMD wrote:Ill find it. I made his hat look like it was retrieved from the dumpster at Hollywood Studios.
Our members always do. :tup:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Not ALL of them do.... =;

:lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

ChrisMD wrote:
Cajunkraut wrote:
Ill find it. I made his hat look like it was retrieved from the dumpster at Hollywood Studios.
Anything's possible after I once saw that their idea of whip maintenance was duct tape holding a Strain's fall hitch together. :shock:
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

I just realized that I'm fast approaching two years with my Garrison... and if anything, it looks better every day.

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Some random pictures

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

The thing I´d like to know..is the Garrison fedoras height "set" as a standard,same goes for the brim,if a guy´s head is 60 cm (me?!) how tall is the crown and wide the brim? If I´m making any sense.... :-s Some LIDs here look too wide and tall,to me at least...
didier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by didier »

I think it's just an impression, depending on viewing angles from pics...
Here is my new Garrison Raider (I own too an Adventurebilt Henry and the crown tall and brim wide are the same...)
The Garrison is a great, wonderful hat, amazing work from David...Love this hat, particularly the work on the bow ribbon, the felt is soft and smooth :tup:
(Don't laugh,I 've just installed it on the buttocks of a poor green teddy bear, as a hat stand) :mrgreen:

I'll take some pics outside in the next few days, when the sun 'll be here...
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Im like a crazy cat lady, always taking pictures. Im a crazy hat guy. As far as looking too "_____", its all in the angle and picture. The same hat can look VERY different picture to picture.

Here is the face i make when trying NOT to spend money looking at hat websites

MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

WOW....how the lighting makes a difference!
QuadBravo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by QuadBravo »

Eagerly awaiting my garrison fedora! My wife ordered it for me as a Christmas present. I CAN'T WAIT! :anxious:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

In ref to my pics above... The bow is on the correct side. The pics are reversed haha

QuadBravo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by QuadBravo »

After a long, grueling wait I finally received my Garrison Raiders Fedora. Let me first say HOLY @#$% I AM STILL PUMPED! (Then allow me to gather my composure and tell you how impressed I was with the hat). The hat fit perfectly on my head to such a degree that it felt like it just belonged there. I was just so astonished at the accuracy, detail, and care that David put into it. It IS a true Indy hat!

If you're on the fence about buying one of Davids hats... JUST DO IT!!! Seriously, what are you waiting for? This man know his craft, and I can guarantee that you won't be disappointed! Hats off to you, David! :TOH: ya done good! ( but really I should say hats on to you, because let's be real, I'm never taking this thing off!)

Well without further ado, here's the pics! Image

This hat is awesome. And it takes an awesome guy to have been able to make such a fine lid. Lucky for me Mr. Garrison lives just a town over from me! I asked him that instead of just shipping the hat to me, if we could meet somewhere close by. He agreed. So it was a real treat to receive my hat from the hat maker himself!

Unfortunately, the picture is a little blurry. We had a blast just talking about our favorite scenes where Indy's hat is showcased in Raiders, as well as the movies themselves. It was really great to find out that not only is Mr. Garrison a great hatter, but he also has a love for the source material that these hats come from! I even got to show off my Herbert Johnson fedora, and I found out that I actually have a great, quality felted verion of that hat!

David, thanks again for my Raiders fedora!
Last edited by QuadBravo on Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

QuadBravo wrote:After a long, grueling wait I finally received my Garrison Raiders Fedora. Let me first say HOLY @#$% I AM STILL PUMPED! (Then allow me to gather my composure and tell you how impressed I was with the hat). The hat fit perfectly on my head to such a degree that it felt like it just belonged there. I was just so astonished at the accuracy, detail, and care that David put into it. It IS a true Indy hat!

If you're on the fence about buying one of Davids hats... JUST DO IT!!! Seriously, what are you waiting for? This man know his craft, and I can guarantee that you won't be disappointed! Hats off to you, David! :TOH: ya done good! ( but really I should say hats on to you, because let's be real, I'm never taking this thing off!)

Well without further ado, here's the pics! Image

Your pics wont load for me. Anyone else?

WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Some...not all, but what I've seen is nice! Great looking hat 'Mr. Bravo!' Compliments all around -- great hat and fit! W>
QuadBravo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by QuadBravo »

Thanks, WConly!
Like I said, this hat feels awesome on my head! Absolute perfect fit.
didier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by didier »

Great pics with turn quadbravo :tup:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I need a re-block. Anyone know what David charges these days?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Whatever it is, it's well worth the money.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

pics worked for me on PC. Darn iphone! Awesome! GREAT action shots! Very cool you met the man himself. Im ok with anyone from Georgia. Love GA!
QuadBravo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by QuadBravo »

Thanks Chris! GA is pretty great! I'm just glad I have a hat vendor in my state (the fact that he's so close to my town is a plus too)!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Have added another hat coming from David's shop. This is a reblock from a vintage licensed hat I found online talked about in this thread. http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was looking for a lightweight felt for warmer weather as well as something that would be different for my Fedora (Last Crusade) costume.

Not only did the hat come out great, David made sure it was ready and shipped to Curator Rick in New York in time for the FL Summit.

Not the best picture of the hat itself, but you can see the overall costume. Got lots of compliments from those that got to see it up close.

This old hat has been granted a new life for many years to come.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

That looks like the Olmec head on Legends of the Hidden Temple. Hopefully there are others who remember the show :lol:

Kyle
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Have added another hat coming from David's shop. This is a reblock from a vintage licensed hat I found online talked about in this thread. http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was looking for a lightweight felt for warmer weather as well as something that would be different for my Fedora (Last Crusade) costume.

Not only did the hat come out great, David made sure it was ready and shipped to Curator Rick in New York in time for the FL Summit.

Not the best picture of the hat itself, but you can see the overall costume. Got lots of compliments from those that got to see it up close.

Very cool! You guys are making the same face!

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
knibs7 wrote:That looks like the Olmec head on Legends of the Hidden Temple. Hopefully there are others who remember the show :lol:

Kyle

What a GREAT show! Those Temple Guards were frightening as a kid.

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

ChrisMD wrote:
What a GREAT show! Those Temple Guards were frightening as a kid.

No kidding! I would brace myself, but sure enough, I would flinch EVERY time they showed up

Kyle
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

Post by Local Land Surveyor »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Have added another hat coming from David's shop. This is a reblock from a vintage licensed hat I found online talked about in this thread. http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff

I always enjoy bringing a hat back to life. You have a special one there. :tup: Thanks for sending me those pix, as well

Just to interject here. I think this post is worth checking out. :roll:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=62009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

I have one on order, though not an Indy. I can't wait!! 8 weeks is a loooong time for such a thing.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

I have one random question about these hats: how is the felt on the Indy raider's hats? I mean, are they as soft and floppy as Feds, or are they stiffer and less soft? If I ever buy another Indy hat, I am hoping to buy a less soft more durable hat. I like hats that are stiffer and less soft an slippery(slippery meaning when I grab my Fed Deluxe from the pinch, it is so soft it almost slides).
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

baddates1 wrote:I have one random question about these hats: how is the felt on the Indy raider's hats? I mean, are they as soft and floppy as Feds, or are they stiffer and less soft? If I ever buy another Indy hat, I am hoping to buy a less soft more durable hat. I like hats that are stiffer and less soft an slippery(slippery meaning when I grab my Fed Deluxe from the pinch, it is so soft it almost slides).

Well the screen used fedoras were soft and floppy. So David makes his hats like that. Mine is SUPER screen accurate as far as I'm concerned. If you are gunning for a stiffer hat, I think you might be better off with beaver but as I do not own a beaver Indy hat (only cowboy hats) I cannot opine with any certainty. There are far more experienced hat people that can probably clarify on what I said. I'll put it this way, I wore my Garrison out on the plains outside Cheyenne which is known for FIERCE wind. It didn't blow off, and it took a bit of wind to make it flop. It is adequate stiffness in my opinion.