Silk lining

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Pete#9
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Silk lining

Post by Pete#9 »

Hi lads, I have a superb Akubra Deluxe Fed and I'm thinking of removing the silk/satin lining. Any temp over 30c and it gets awfully hot and sweaty.

Anyone else tried this?
Did you notice any difference?

I love the quality feel and look of the lining but the high temps here in Oz make it a tad uncomfortable.

Are some linings better than others when it comes to hot weather?

Sent from my iPhone.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Silk lining

Post by Indiana Jeff »

In a word, yes.

Have been discussed here.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41105&p=584479&hili ... ng#p584479" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I've removed linings for hats used in summer wear, and even gone as far has having vent holes punched in the side of the crown to allow ventilation, as was done regularily back in the hey-day of felt hat wear.

It actually works fine.

If you DO punch holes, use a leather or professional punch, then spray lacquer (like hair spray) inside the crown around the holes to stop any fraying.

Regards! Michaelson
Pete#9
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Pete#9 »

Thanks guys.

I'll remove the lining but won't punch any holes.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Yeah, I go a little pale every time I read how Michaelson punched holes in his hat. :shock:

The man knows what he's doing, but I could never work up the nerve.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:lol: ;)
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Michaelson wrote::lol: ;)
I will probably hate myself for asking this Mark, but like the fellow from "Dirty Harry:" "I got's to knows!" Just where on the hat do you do this perforations. I like the word 'perforation' a bit better than the phrase: "...punched holes...." that 'one' truly scares the daylights out of me :shock: ! W>
ThatManFromRio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ThatManFromRio »

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

WConly wrote:
Michaelson wrote::lol: ;)
I will probably hate myself for asking this Mark, but like the fellow from "Dirty Harry:" "I got's to knows!" Just where on the hat do you do this perforations. I like the word 'perforation' a bit better than the phrase: "...punched holes...." that 'one' truly scares the daylights out of me :shock: ! W>
No, 'punch' is correct. You use a leather craftsman's hole punch die and smack the die with a hammer on an anvil in the locations you want a hole made. It makes a perfect hole. Make sure you spray around the hole on the inside of the crown with something like hair spray (laquer) and the hole will never fray.

I believe the die used was a 3/16 die, but it's been a while since I did the deed.

I've had both my hats cleaned and reblocked since doing this and no problems were encountered by the hatmakers who did the work for me.

I usually place them on both sides of the crown, just above the ribbon where air can circulate into the top of the crown where heat builds in summer months.

This isn't unusual. It was a feature you could get with hats 'back in the day' for summer weight felt hats. Steve told me he once thought about offering this feature on his lighter weight felt hats for summer wear, but just never got around doing it.

I've seen ads for Stetson from the 40s and 50's with this feature having 3 holes punched in both sides of the crowns at the same location I mention above.

LOL! Yep, that's a perfect photo of me in summer! :lol:

Regards! M
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Indeed, it was not uncommon on summer hats of yore. I've seen quite a few Stetson ads with vented hats. Art Fawcett has his own die pattern he uses for vents:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Thanks for posting that photo! :TOH:

I've been trying to find a good example to demonstrate, but this one is a peach!

Regards! Michaelson
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Well, I will still say this....Mark you've got a lot more confidence in yourself, then I would to attempt this on my own, but the idea does make perfect sense. Most impressive. I like the way Art does his hats -- if just blends into the hat and looks as though this was the original intention of the design. Which, I would imagine 'was the case,' in this situation...I guess I am just having issues picturing myself do this, or even having a 'pro' do it. But thanks. If certainly does conjure up ideas for a practical solution for warm climates. W>
Pete#9
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Pete#9 »

There are quite a few Akubra models with the holes but they have a metal eyelet to keep the hole trim and tidy.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Like I said, Pete#9, once laquer (women's hair spray works perfectly) is sprayed around the hole on the inside of the crown, the hole remains trim and tidy from that point onward....and no grommet to denote there's a hole in the side of your hat. You're not even aware they're there unless you look for them.

Thanks, W. :TOH: Once you pull the trigger on one and see how well it works, you'll be 'confident' as well. :lol: ;) I'd try it on an old work hat first, but in my case I did it to two of my beaver AB's, and have worn the heck out of them for the past 7 years.

It allows me to wear a beaver felt for a LOT longer in our Southern humidity until I'm forced to move into my PB straw Indy for the duration of the summer.

Regards! M
Pete#9
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Pete#9 »

Thanks mate.
I'll give the lining free approach a go first...

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup: