Wested Leather Sizing...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Wested Leather Sizing...

Post by MARQ »

I´m looking for some info,can someone who owns a 44 Wested Standard in dark brown lamb or auth.brown lamb "off the rack" give me measurements of the jacket,because I´m starting to lean towards Wested offerings again... :roll: There was back in the day a chart that showed the specs.they took it away.Lightness is a good thing..actually I prefer lightweight jacket so,if it could be verified,great.The shrunken lamb or what ever it was..is it still available? So there..Oh yes I´m six-one tall 44" chest and 36" waist.Pics would be great too :TOH: I´ve read the Hero-thread many a times but the "off the shoulder" factor freaks me out... :-0 :shock: :o
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Wested Leather zing...

Post by Gorak »

I cant report on the measurements as I wear a size 38/40 but I do have a couple of Westeds in Dark Lamb and it is the most lightweight, yet "not-cheaply" feeling leather I have ever experienced. And I think I can have say so as I am one of those that has had a great many vendors lightweight leathers. By far, my favorite in terms of being able to wear year round. Temps in the high 80`s and low 90`s here in south texas and I can still wear it...
unless the humidity hits 100% #-o
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Wested Leather zing...NOW WITH UPDATE!

Post by MARQ »

"Here´s something that might interest you.." :TOH: ;) Got this from Wested´s Gemma today..
This is sizing what she called "stock-jackets"..I guess this means the off-the-rack´s :-k
In this order...(sorry little scattered..)
Jacket Size Chest Sleeve shoulder Back Length
38 Stock 22 24 6.5 26
40 Stock 23 24.5 6.5 26
42 Stock 24 25 7 26
44 Stock 25 25.5 7.5 26.5
46 Stock 26 25.5 7.5 28
48 Stock 27 27 7.5 28
50 Stock 28 27 8 28
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Now see here...I´ve done some figuring and my ideal jacket would consist of these details...thinnest lambskin possible,as I´m 186cm tall with 44" chest obviously size would be 44, chest 24.5-25",shoulder-width 20-20.5",back-length 26",sleeve 25" I guess, and shoulder-seam approx. 6.5, me thinks :-k but the above chart has 7.5" on the shoulder in three sizes.I wonder why Wested has done so odd decision,the early 2000´s Wested sizing chart list different distance for each available size.Hero jacket is made "over the shoulder",so the off-the-pegs (Standard) has the same detail but Hero is slimmer fit,"80´s" overall,am I right? :-s :tdown: ](*,)
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Also, Wested has recently received some new batchers of leather, like the washed sheep and goatskin that he said was really soft, like lamb. Would love to see what this stuff looks like, but you might take that into consideration as well?
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

That would do but first I´d like to see them leathers made in jackets first...I wonder who´d make the first order for "alternate" leather than usual... :-k
Cajunkraut

Re: Wested Leather zing...NOW WITH UPDATE!

Post by Cajunkraut »

MARQ wrote:"Here´s something that might interest you.." :TOH: ;) Got this from Wested´s Gemma today..
This is sizing what she called "stock-jackets"..I guess this means the off-the-rack´s :-k
In this order...(sorry little scattered..)
Jacket Size Chest Sleeve shoulder Back Length
38 Stock 22 24 6.5 26
40 Stock 23 24.5 6.5 26
42 Stock 24 25 7 26
46 Stock 26 25.5 7.5 28
48 Stock 27 27 7.5 28
50 Stock 28 27 8 28
Funny. When I pasted this post into an email to Gemma, she didn't acknowledge it and said only that she required measurements. :x
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Based on my Wested circa 2000, in 42, those measurements are exact to what my jacket measures.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Wested Leather Sizing...

Post by Texan Scott »

Your best bet is to give them actual measurements and let them size you. As we have discussed many times in the TN/ Hero/BK pattern is different than the Raiders jackets of old because the Hero incorporates all the quirks. For instance if you needed a 26 back in the old style, you would most likely need a 24". subtract 1" for sleeves and that is from ordering several of these.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Texan Scott wrote:Your best bet is to give them actual measurements and let them size you. As we have discussed many times in the TN/ Hero/BK pattern is different than the Raiders jackets of old because the Hero incorporates all the quirks. For instance if you needed a 26 back in the old style, you would most likely need a 24". subtract 1" for sleeves and that is from ordering several of these.

What he said... :D I absolutely concur with Tex's assessment. It you don't shorten the back measurement it'll look like a barn coat.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

OK I am trying to sell some stuff to get the funds to order a custom Wested in goatskin. I want the Raiders pattern. Are there special requirements in the measurements??? What is this shorten it up stuff or it will be too long? I am scared to order something that will be too big or not look right.

Any help would be appreciated...

and wish me luck in my sales effort! If I don't sell anything, I don't get my Indy jacket!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Which pattern are you referring to? Raiders, RoLA or Hero?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Charybdis wrote:and wish me luck in my sales effort! If I don't sell anything, I don't get my Indy jacket!
Don't forget to put them all in one classifed ad, if you're using the classified section here. :TOH:

Regards, and best of luck on your sales!

Michaelson
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Raiders pattern. Selling a Star Wars helmet, not any Indy stuff...
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Well no luck on the sales for now. I will try it again this week and see what happens but as I said, no sale no jacket!
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

What about the sale? Success this time?
Charybdis wrote:Well no luck on the sales for now. I will try it again this week and see what happens but as I said, no sale no jacket!
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Funny. When I pasted this post into an email to Gemma, she didn't acknowledge it and said only that she required measurements. :x

Like "WHAT!" :-k I don´t know what to say. :-s Gemma sent the chart to me via e-mail awhile back,as I asked about the off-the-peg size-chart.That´s all I can give you.
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

Forget the "off the peg" sizing.
You're ordering a custom jacket!
This is a special, one-of-a-kind treasure.
Do the measuremenents. If in doubt, take the requirements to a seamstress and let them do it.
Let them know it's for a jacket. You don't want it to fit like a shirt.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

He's been on the fence forever. Time to get in the game, Marq!

I know....you've got charts.... :P

Gettcha' a Todd's or a custom Wested. Wear and be happy! :mrgreen:
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Just to confuse things a little more, from experiance hide choice can make a noticeble difference to the feel of the fit. I've currently got two Wested Hero's one in Goat and one in Shrunken Lamb made to the same spec's. When the Lamb arrived I was convinced it was too big. I ran the tape over them in every way several times and only came up with very minor differences :-k . The give,drape and lightness of the Lamb just makes it hang a touch lower at the belt and feel looser around the chest giving the impresion it's a size or so bigger.

Anyone else experiance this with multiple jackets in different hides?

ZOLTAR :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I suppose it depends on what a guy wants in an Indy jacket, but some grain is good. To me, smooth lamb is too dept. store/fashion jacket-ish. As you know, I could not say enough about this db thin goat. To me, it is right balance between grain, thickness, color and weight. The washed lamb and goat offerings look really good, as of late. Shrunken lamb in a darker tone. Any of these would capture the flavor quite well.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Texan Scott wrote:Your best bet is to give them actual measurements and let them size you. .

Always good advise. Still don't understand why people don't. :-k
LZeitgeist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LZeitgeist »

I LOVELOVELOVE the goat Wested I got a few months back - I'd love to purchase a second one exactly like it.

The edges are softly lightening already - the leather feels REALLY supple but it's not weak-feeling like lamb. It drapes AMAZINGLY.

I've never had a finer jacket, and I made the perfect choice with the goat.

Do it now while they still have it!

Tell them your measurements and let them make the right size for you. I was *really* worried, but I didn't have to be. I was just clear as crystal to them that I was giving them my exact (snug) chest measurement and that I trusted their expertise to make the jacket fit properly to my chest dimension.

If you give excellent, clear communication, you'll receive an excellent product.

Do it! :D
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

I dont know about all of you but the thing that scares me most from buying a jacket is NOT being able to try it on AND also measuring for a jacket. Seems every company does things differently. One its pit to pit..next its all the way around chest. Next its measure sleeves but from where? one is from neck one is from shoulder?..BUT where does a shoulder begin and end?..lol..its my main concern when its time for me to finally pull the plug on buying.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

The best thing to do is to have someone get the chest, sleeve and back length measurements with tape. The proper sleeve measurement is from the mid-portion of the neck, with arm bent slightly to wrist. However, usually the sleeve measurement from the top of the sleeve seam (the place where the sleeve meets the shoulder) to the end of cuff is sufficient. Since the Indy jacket is basically waist length, then most people prefer a jacket that fits just below the beltline, about 1-2". Usually, a guy has a favorite suit or sport coat, and you can use it as a pretty good jumping off point, especially if the sleeves are the right length. Splitting hairs a little, the Indy jacket sleeve ends at the first knuckle of the thumb. Put on a comfortable shirt and have them measure from the bottom of the collar stand to say, an inch or two below the belt.
Zaremba
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Zaremba »

Hi to all!
I am a newbie to this forum. For more than a year I looked where to buy a Riders jacket. Finally I choose the Wested.
I will order the custom size and ask them for the chest measurements of their size 40. Because in the selection there is only the chest to choose like size. Rebeca replied that chest for size 40 is 48". It confused me.
I am 6´3" and my chest measurements when wearing a shirt is exactly 40" and jacket with 48 will be realy like a bag for me, I think. I have my A-2 jacket and it is size 40 and chest 44 and there is nice room for movemoment.
So I asked again that 48 chest looks too big for me and Rebecca send me their size chart same like MARQ posted:
MARQ wrote:Jacket Size Chest Sleeve shoulder Back Length
38 Stock 22 24 6.5 26
40 Stock 23 24.5 6.5 26
42 Stock 24 25 7 26
46 Stock 26 25.5 7.5 28
48 Stock 27 27 7.5 28
50 Stock 28 27 8 28
Could anyone of the owners of this jacket please tell me if for my 40" chest I should order size 40 or go down for 38? I know about Indy jacket and loose fit but it looks too much loose for me to have 8" space. I have no experience with this Riders jacket but if I should order like an no trim fit A-2 just tell me. I will very welcome your advices.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

If you want a 40 with 4 extra" for a better fit, just specify that, since you are going custom. That would be 22" at the pits. Make sure the others specs fit you, but custom is custom, its the way you want it to fit.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Z, Looks like according to the chart you posted that a size 40 is actually 23" pit to pit, right? So, times 2, thats 46" actual. That leaves 6" of room. I personally prefer about 4" of space, but everyone's different. If you want to layer under the jacket, a little more room might be nice.
Zaremba
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Zaremba »

Thanks to all messages. I have ordered the jacket last mondey. Today I have received an email, the jacket was shipped. :D
It will be difficullt to wait for the package :TOH:
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Z, if you live in the states, anyway, be prepared to pay the duties to UPS! My driver usually asks for a check. It's always been @ $30 US for me.
Zaremba
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Zaremba »

IJ: Thank you for notice. I live in the Czech Republic. Same as UK it is in EU so no custom taxes aplied.
By the way, jacket has arrived two hours ago. It is absolutaly perfect! :D
Now the process of natural distressing will began. :TOH:
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Z, awesome! Glad they dialed you in on the size.

Make a note of the dimensions you requested, for your 'next' jacket! :lol: Usually, if you send good measurements Wested will nail it.

The main question I have when ordering a new jacket anymore, oddly, is sleeve length. The sleeves vary between manufacturers and different patterns with regards to how they land at the wrist, even given the same measurement from the shoulder seam. Many manufacturers don't ask for the sleeve measurement the same way, either. Plus, of course, the same jacket fits everyone a little differently. So, I just started to order sleeves a little longer than what I think would be perfect. Even being a little longer, I always like it anyway! Not screen accurate, really, but I don't like sleeves halfway down my forearms while driving a car!

I figure, if they're too long, they can be shortened. They can't be lengthened if they're too short, unless there is a generous amount of leather folded under at the cuff, and then you'd have to iron out the cuff crease. I've never gotten more than 1/2" of length trying to do that.

Enjoy your break-in period!