what does YOUR Indy jacket need to be?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: what does YOUR Indy jacket need to be?

Post by HDRnR »

Michaelson wrote:
HDRnR wrote:My GnB Expo is it, it gets criticized by SA purists....
...which is, in itself, kind of amusing, as it was the 'SA purists' that had a hand in its creation in the first place, so don't worry about them. Based on the opinions of the purists, NO one has made one right YET, and I doubt if one ever WILL! :lol: ;)

You can't beat the quality of the Expo, that's a fact. Enjoy! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
You ain't kidding Michaelson, imo its the best and I've owned a bunch. I havn't purchased another since I got the Expo, so that says a lot.
SteelEyeball
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by SteelEyeball »

I think for me personally, a longer jacket would be ideal. The Raiders is my favorite, but I would prefer if the end of it came down a few inches below my belt. I don't really like short jackets, mainly because they're usually extra short on me - I'm 6'4. I also think it would be cool to have an extra pocket on the inside of the jacket, perhaps large enough to house a journal.
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

MARQ wrote:Adding to my earlier; I am pro-lamb and lambskin alone..thinner the better =P~ and yes,awesome S.A.
+1
I love how thin the leather is on my Todds,but I would still like it to be even thinner!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I've seen about most every jacket maker's wares, and Todd's is some of the thinnest leather out there, even today. I think there needs to be some allowance for at least a bit of thickness because you need grain. The texture of the leather and its inconsistencies are contributors to the overall look. Todd's current run of jackets are maybe a little thicker than his first few runs, but not by much. The type of leather he is sourcing now, imo, is better than the first few runs because it has grain/striations, ie character, and is closer in appearance to the actual movie jacket. Take that away and you have a run of the mill dept. store, smooth type lamb. If you are looking for even thinner, then you might look for one in Todd's older runs, and also Wested sources some really thin lamb. This type of leather drapes like cloth material and is sourced on a Hero in db lamb.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Keep in mind, in the leather industry lambskin has the lowest tensile strength of any leather available. You get any thinner, it will tear, and tear quite easily, so you gotta draw a line somewhere.

Regards! Michaelson
SteelEyeball
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by SteelEyeball »

Tundrarider wrote:Welcome, Steeleye! :)

Many jacket makers offer long or tall options. Gibson and Barnes offers this with their Expedition and it is still a standard size as far as pricing is concerned.

I'm also 6'4" and wear a 44T in my Expedition.

As for inner pockets, the Expedition comes standard with an inner breast wallet pocket.

On a sidenote, as far as inner pockets go, I believe that they affect the drape of the jacket, as they add a reinforced area behind the front panel which won't drape as nicely as a result.

I notice the difference in drape between the right and left panels on my jacket as one has the inner pocket and the other doesn't.

Just an observation if case you obsess over details such as this! :)

Michael
I didn't realize that happened, and it would definitely bother me haha. And thanks for the welcome! :D How long is the jacket for you? Where does it end? :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Just a comment.....Michael's jacket is a G&B Expo which does not have leather facings on either side of the zipper. In the case of the 'sag' with the inner pocket, I agree 100%. My Expo does the same thing, even to the point that occasionally the lining is pushed out the front of the jacket when the jacket is unzipped and I have something in the inner pocket..... but I have not found that to be the case of jackets with leather facings and inner pockets.

For example, I can wear my Magnoli or USW jackets with full facings the same way, and have no issues what so ever when the jackets are zipped or unzipped.

Wanted to toss that in for conversations sake. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
SteelEyeball
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by SteelEyeball »

That definitely helps! I was considering the Expedition but wasn't sure what to expect. Now I know I'll be saving up. I need to go get myself officially measured for size to be sure. I'm leaning towards the goat, but I might actually have a visit out there. Thanks for linking me that review, it helped alot! :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed, but I'm hearing good things about Drew Williams follow through with customers, including some correspondence I've had with him of late, so you may still be pleasantly surprised.

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Drew is a good point of contact. He helped me to get a HH Expedition made. Doesn't look like these will get any cheaper, as time marches on either. There is one or two on Ebay at the moment. Typically, the Exp. trades at a much better price on the secondhand market, usually less than half of retail. This is usually when your dollar does its best work. Many times they are practically new.
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Texan Scott wrote:Drew is a good point of contact. He helped me to get a HH Expedition made. Doesn't look like these will get any cheaper, as time marches on either. There is one or two on Ebay at the moment. Typically, the Exp. trades at a much better price on the secondhand market, usually less than half of retail. This is usually when your dollar does its best work. Many times they are practically new.
Exactly. I'm watching one on eBay at this moment. It will be a nice addition to my Indy stuff. And easy to hide from my wife :lol:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

MmmmmHaahahaha...! :twisted:
Misfit13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Misfit13 »

Since SA is the stuff that drives men mad, I tend to refrain from such pursuits and go with what a lot of you fine people refer to as "screen reminiscent". To this end, my GB in goat with a 15mm antiqued snap installed on the bottom of the storm flap fits the bill nicely. I haven't installed the upper snap because I can't quite decide where I should place it for max efficiency. I like the Raiders look with LC/CS snaps and was inspired by the good Dr. Nebraska to put snaps. Plus I swear I can use the jacket as a strop for my knife in the field without worry ;) Just my $0.02.
ThatManFromRio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ThatManFromRio »

Misfit13 wrote:...Plus I swear I can use the jacket as a strop for my knife in the field without worry ;) Just my $0.02.
I assume you mean without worry of damaging the knife . :lol:
Misfit13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Misfit13 »

That is correct Rio! I think I just damaged the convex edge on my BRKT Bravo 1 by using the cuff on my sleeve..... :P