Height of the Fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Height of the Fedora

Post by CRB »

I freely admit to being a novice when it comes to fedoras (jackets are more my thing!) but I'm wondering why each fedora I've tried on sticks up like a chimney pot. I've got an Adventurebit Henry 57 which was a bit tight for me so recently bought a Todds 59. Both if them look to tall on my head! Perhaps fedoras are not for me...
Last edited by CRB on Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Height of the Fedora

Post by BendingOak »

can you post pics of you wearing them? and have someone else take the photos. No arm length ones please. Most people when they get that 30s, 40s style hat are not used to the boxy full tall crown. Pics would help.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

If you have not worn a fedora before, and I went through it too, and you are used to wearing head gear that hug sorta' close to the crown, like a baseball cap or something, the crown on a fedora does look a bit high. But generally, the Raiders hat is bashed to 4 1/2" and LC with its relaxed pinch, around 4 1/4". It takes a break in time and orienting period for you to get used to wearing a fedora, and for the fedora to conform to you. IMO sometimes fedoras are bashed too high or low for the wearer. Generally, these specs will work for 57-58-59 cm bandwidths.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

What he said.

It's normal for anyone wearing something "non-standard" like a fedora to feel self conscious and think it looks too tall or too wide. After a while it becomes part of you and when you don't wear it people will ask where it is.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Wore mine all night last night shopping! A couple of days ago, an older man stopped me and said, "nice vintage hat. Looks good." I said that a good hat never goes out of style...
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Last week I had a guy run across the parking lot as I was going into Home Depot to ask where I got my most recent Penman. It happens often enough that I keep a spare of John's "Like H*** It's Yours" card tucked in the sweatband to give to people.

Which reminds me - I need to get John to send me a few more cards . . . :-k
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Thanks for the replies guys. Since posting I've reformed the hat a bit, perhaps shaping it more with my head and it is looking better now. I shall see if I can get some photos up to show what I mean.
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Within the last couple of days, I've raised the dent break on the back of two of my hats so as to straighten up the sides a little bit.

It's all what you get used to. :)
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

;) :tup:
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I recently re-shaped my Henry after several years of it's original bash I gave it.
I always felt the crown looked too tall on my head, but finally had a thought about reshaping it to a height that was more appropriate for my size 56 hat.
First, I opened up the crown again then carefully used my garment steamer to soften up the felt so I could better smooth out the felt to a neutral state.
This time, I lowered the dent a little more and restored my pinch - just that tiny change in dent depth made a world of difference and I wish I would have done this from the beginning.
In the end, regardless of the "actual specs", the person should wear the hat, the hat should never wear the person!
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by getoutofthelibrary »

I always think my fedora looks too tall when looking in a mirror......but not in pictures....

Last edited by getoutofthelibrary on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

My favorite crease.....again, looks really tall in a mirror.... But I like it in pictures....

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

The hat looks good on you in both photos.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

No need to fret! You see, when it comes to Indiana Jones, in Raiders of the Lost Ark, his hat was pretty tall, like you described your hat. You said it was like a chimney pipe, Indy's was like that in the first movie, tall and like a stovepipe. No need to worry, just goes to show that your hats are accurate to the first movie. Nice hats

Regards from an endangered gentleman: baddates1
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Thank you, gentlemen. Means a lot coming from you, Oak. Hope to have one of your's on my head some day.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Tundrarider wrote:That's a beautiful portrait of you and the lovely lady, Getoutofthelibrary! And the hat looks so natural on you!

Michael
I echo this sentiment! Getoutofthelibrary, you were born to wear a fedora!

Ken
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

getoutofthelibrary wrote:My favorite crease.....again, looks really tall in a mirror.... But I like it in pictures....

Man--you would look out of sorts WITHOUT a fedora on!!!
Seriously!
Looks great--you were born to wear one.
IndyJames98
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndyJames98 »

Lol, the crown on my hat looks small in the mirror but the right size in pictures. :-k
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

High-crowned PB....

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Ok, getoutofthelibrary .... I've been watching this thread for a while, and I'm STILL waiting for you to post a photo of a fedora that looks too 'tall' on your head. :-k

So far they've all been 'out of the park' perfect in shape, dimension and appearance to your face shape.

So, when can we expect to see a bad one? :-s

;)

Seriously, you need to get that 'too tall' crown thought out of your head. You're right in the sweet spot of how one should look on a mans head. :M: :tup:

CRB, same to you, old friend. Once you get used to the difference between low and the so called 'tall' crown, you'll have a hard time going back.

HIGH regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I agree withy M. Another thing to consider is that your judging from a selfie. Have someone else photograph you wearing your hat. This way you will get a true image of what you look like.
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Good to hear guys! I'll breathe easy!
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

You do take a big risk taking photos with fashion models, but you hold up well. :TOH: Great hats, all. Now let's work on that jacket... :D
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

getoutofthelibrary, great hats !!! Nice pieces, really, but I have to say best Raiders is the white with black ribbon (or looks black) it is spot on for Raiders at the beginning of the movie by the water fall. You're a natural with a fedora. Enjoy :TOH: