Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Post by Duck9000 »

I'm in the process to get a hero ROTLA version and with all those great and beautiful jackets out there is really difficult to make up my mind :D

Congrats on this amazing work :tup:
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

Duck9000 wrote:I'm in the process to get a hero ROTLA version and with all those great and beautiful jackets out there is really difficult to make up my mind :D

Shouldn't be hard at all! :D Bill Kelso all the way for accuracy/durability but at the high end for price. If cost is an issue, look no further than Steele and Jones.

So to reiterate:

Bill Kelso or Steele and Jones. :TOH:
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Thanks for the tip!. I'm thinking about Magnoli and Wested hero too ;)
IndyRiv wrote:
Duck9000 wrote:I'm in the process to get a hero ROTLA version and with all those great and beautiful jackets out there is really difficult to make up my mind :D

Shouldn't be hard at all! :D Bill Kelso all the way for accuracy/durability but at the high end for price. If cost is an issue, look no further than Steele and Jones.

So to reiterate:

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Your choices these days are amazing, compared to not that many years ago. :shock:

This year I'm going to enjoy my recently acquired cowhide Magnoli. Fits me like it was tailor made too!

Considering this is a BK thread, you have your hands full trying to figure THIS one out, but it's all good!

Any way you go will be right.....for you! There is no 'right' answer. They're ALL right. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

There are some really good cost effective options like Todd's and Wested as well.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

IndyRiv wrote:

So to reiterate:

Also remember Bill Kelso's grainy lamb is about half of the price of their striated. Daren's jacket is the grainy. Still superb, right?
Montana Hannah
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Montana Hannah »

First post in a looooooong time! I just received a Relic Hunter "Cairo" version. You can see pics of it in this thread (it's the first jacket mentioned): http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=60330 I only have time for a quick post at the moment, but first impressions are: "Wow!!!" It's as fantastic as I expected it to be. I'll post some pics and a better review as soon as I can.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Welcome home, MH! :TOH:

HIGH regards! Michaelson :M:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Montana Hannah wrote:First post in a looooooong time! I just received a Relic Hunter "Cairo" version. You can see pics of it in this thread (it's the first jacket mentioned): http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=60330 I only have time for a quick post at the moment, but first impressions are: "Wow!!!" It's as fantastic as I expected it to be. I'll post some pics and a better review as soon as I can.
It would be nice to see your personal jacket? Also, how is the leather, can you give us a rundown? Is it stiff, thin, etc? :-k
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

So that jacket is your jacket? WOW. I am THIS close to getting a Cairo. I need a few extra funds and a kick in the rump as I love my Relic Hunter and can`t imagine that it would get any better than this! So I am looking forward to your 'review' of this particular version before I take the plunge. I am all about the weight as I have mentioned time and again, it is very hot and humid in South Texas most of the year so any jacket doesn`t really get much mileage unless it is of the lightweight family. So you can guess, as has already been asked, how lightweight and drapey is this thing? Alfazon has mentioned that it is thinner but heavier...that line stopped me from hitting the submit button on the purchase page. But now that someone has one in hand, you will either help me get my kids to college or help me look super awesome cool in the ultimate Raiders jacket!
:CR:
Montana Hannah
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Montana Hannah »

Michaelson wrote:Welcome home, MH! :TOH:

HIGH regards! Michaelson :M:
Aw, shucks, it's nice to be missed! :oops: ;) And it's good to be back!

I'll get some pics up as soon as possible, hopefully this weekend. I have a few leather jackets (Aero A2, vintage '40s HH, vintage late '50s/early '60s goat, '70s German Airforce goat and a Wested Raiders in HH), but I can't really compare the BK to anything similar as far as the hide goes. I will say it's thin and soft, but I was surprised at the weight. Not as heavy as the others (the closest it comes is to the vintage '50s goat), but not a featherweight either. It is very nice though. Very soft, drapy and luxurious, but still sturdy looking. It's quite stretchy and pliable and the surface feel is warm and waxy, similar to oil-pull hides I've seen. The striated texture certainly gives it a lot of character, without it looking artificially distressed, so I can totally appreciate why a hide like this would have been used for the original movie jackets.

As far as fit and details go, I need to compare it to the Wested HH which is a pre-Hero days jacket from 2008. That'll need a bit of work, but a big difference I can see is the fit around the arm-pits. Both jackets have similar dimesnsions around the chest, and across the shoulders, but the BK is trimmer (not tight by any means) round the pits - which I personally prefer as I'm short and have short arms! I should mention that the Wested is a 40, the BK a 38. I checked the chest measurements with Andy before ordering, and both jackets were pretty close in size despite the different size tags. I should also mention that I'm exactly 39 inches around the chest.

That'll have to do for now - I'm currently goldbricking! :TOH:
IndyFan71
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyFan71 »

I finally found a good deal on a Bill Kelso jacket (HF Size) and am lovin' it. The first I thought is how luxurious the leather feels. Second thing was, “Wow, this has considerable weight, heft, feel—in a good way). The third was how brown it is in direct sunlight and how dark it gets in shadow. My Final thought was that it feels bigger than a 40, though it doesn't look any bigger. Pix below:

Cheers,

Indyfan71
Last edited by IndyFan71 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

IndyFan71 wrote:I finally found a good deal on a Bill Kelso jacket (HF Size) and am lovin' it. The first I thought is how luxurious the leather feels. Second thing was, “Wow, this has considerable weight, heft, feel—in a good way). The third was how brown it is in direct sunlight and how dark it gets in shadow. My Final thought was that it feels bigger than a 40, though it doesn't look any bigger. I’ll post pics this Halloween with it on.

Indyfan71
Sounds like a good pick up!! ;)
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

[quote="Montana Hannah"]I'll get some pics up as soon as possible, hopefully this weekend.:[/quote]

Any pics?... :TOH:
IndyFan71
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyFan71 »

I put the pic in the original post. Bad news though, I put on a coat of Pecards (clear) and the lustrous brown disappeared. I'm very sad and wasn't expecting that.

:cry:
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Here's a picture of a bunch of jackets that Daren took the last time we got together :)

Three Kelsos in the mix, including, I believe, yours IndyFan71!
IndyFan71
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyFan71 »

Baldwin,

Mine's definitely in there. It's a great jacket and fits like it was made for me. Thanks!
Montana Hannah
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Montana Hannah »

Bdgsi11 wrote:
Montana Hannah wrote:I'll get some pics up as soon as possible, hopefully this weekend.:[/quote]

Any pics?... :TOH:
Sorry, not yet. I took some in a hurry on Wednesday night, but they weren't very clear. The camera flash did odd things to the colour, and it was too dark to take photos outside. I'll try again tonight.

Edit 11 October: Sorry, the battery in my camera needs recharging! :roll:
Last edited by Montana Hannah on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Here's mine, with the complete outfit!
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

SUPER COOL!!!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

thanks Gorak!
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

You'd better interrogate that Nazi cat!!! He's looking at you sort of strange!! Looks awesome, man, just awesome, You are ready to go kick some archeological tush in the bush!!!
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Thank you man, it means a lot!
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Fit looks very good. Got to get me a Kelso jacket!

Image Image
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

I agree, the fit looks perfect! :tup: Great photos and very nice jacket. :TOH:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Excellent job pulling together a VERY finished look, ltfoley...
WELL done!
:TOH:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

ltfoley wrote:Here's mine, with the complete outfit!
Hey! Lookin' superb here! Great jacket and the outfit matches everything perfectly! Now! One thing. I am not a 'cat' lover. Sorry, cats and I don't get along -- but for the sake of all that is good (and, remember 'Indy,' even in a bad mood -- is good), don't shoot the cat :rolling: ! Sorry, couldn't resist! Great shots! By the way -- what hat do you have there? Very nice! W>
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Thank you all! After the efforts made to put this outfit together it means a lot!
And i promise, the cat was not harmed, his name is Kal'El, he is undestructible.
WConly my hat is a AB Henry. It was originally CS bashed. I rebashed it ROTLA style when i got it second hand from a friend here in France.
:lol:
funny fact, the pants are not an indy pants, they are WW2 pink trousers. And they look better than any Indy pants i've seen!
I'll make some better pics next week.
indiana745
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by indiana745 »

These jackets look better and better which each new pic posted. I'm three and a half weeks into the wait for mine and am practically climbing the walls!
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

ltfoley wrote:Thank you all! After the efforts made to put this outfit together it means a lot!
And i promise, the cat was not harmed, his name is Kal'El, he is undestructible.
WConly my hat is a AB Henry. It was originally CS bashed. I rebashed it ROTLA style when i got it second hand from a friend here in France.
:lol:
funny fact, the pants are not an indy pants, they are WW2 pink trousers. And they look better than any Indy pants i've seen!
I'll make some better pics next week.
Congrats on a fantastic jacket! Is this grainy lamb, or the striated?
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Baldwyn, this is Grainy!
Here is a pic of the jacket, and Indy's latest archeological find! :-k
A bit offtopic sorry, but i really wanted to show you that!
Montana Hannah
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Montana Hannah »

Apologies for taking so long to get these to you guys - my digital SLR has given up the ghost, and I've been reduced to using my compact instead, hence the less than brilliant quality of the following pics. I'll try to get better ones asap!

Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

What a beauty!
Montana Hannah
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Montana Hannah »

Duck9000 wrote:What a beauty!
Yep - sure is! :TOH: When I wear it, I really feel like I'm wearing the
jacket! ;)
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Brilliant. :TOH:
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Montana Hannah wrote:Apologies for taking so long to get these to you guys - my digital SLR has given up the ghost, and I've been reduced to using my compact instead, hence the less than brilliant quality of the following pics. I'll try to get better ones asap!
Just as I convinced myself that the grainy was good enough.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I received my Cairo, Relic Hunter in the new striated lambskin. Let me just say that this new skin is simply stunning! It is incredibly thin, extremely lightweight and much darker than the last version. I couldn't be more pleased with this jacket and can't wait to get as much wear as I possibly can from it. I'll post some pics here as soon as I have the opportunity.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Ooooh, make the opportunity tonight! :lol:
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

I recall your last jacket fit you great. Let's see how this one fits.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Bdgsi11 wrote:Hi everyone,

Yesterday I received my Cairo, Relic Hunter in the new striated lambskin. Let me just say that this new skin is simply stunning! It is incredibly thin, extremely lightweight and much darker than the last version. I couldn't be more pleased with this jacket and can't wait to get as much wear as I possibly can from it. I'll post some pics here as soon as I have the opportunity.
Is it much lighter and thinner than the original striated lamb. I'd be interested in a very lightweight lamb.
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

any customers who bought the new striated lamb jackets, please let us have your feedback, whether you like this more than the previous leather, or should we go back to the previous leather?

thanks
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

... as soon as it arrives... [-o<
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Compared to the other one I had in the original striated lamb. This new version feels a lot thinner and lighter while simultaneously feeling strong. The color on mine is also at a happy medium of warm and dark brown.
Last edited by Bdgsi11 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

afalzon wrote:any customers who bought the new striated lamb jackets, please let us have your feedback, whether you like this more than the previous leather, or should we go back to the previous leather?

thanks
This new leather is a winner all around. Please do not change it!
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

afalzon wrote:any customers who bought the new striated lamb jackets, please let us have your feedback, whether you like this more than the previous leather, or should we go back to the previous leather?

thanks
I don't actually HAVE one yet... But PLEASE keep this NEW leather as an option UNTIL I can save up the money for one of these gorgeous beasts!
;)
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Here are a few photos of my new Cairo, Rleic Hunter in the new and improved striated lambskin. Andy and everyone else at Bill Kelso did an excellent job and I can't thank them enough for this jacket. :TOH: :whip: (Some of these images are a little blurry so I apologize.)

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv18 ... 59499b.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv18 ... 41e0f5.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv18 ... 52163f.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv18 ... eecdac.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv18 ... d843de.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv18 ... de9b8e.jpg
Last edited by Bdgsi11 on Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Yep, that's Indy... I'd know him anywhere. Fantastic! What a great jacket. :clap:
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

VERY VERY nice! You wear it well too. I love the hat. Is the leather any different in weight? It looks fantastic!
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Gorak wrote:VERY VERY nice! You wear it well too. I love the hat. Is the leather any different in weight? It looks fantastic!
Thank you. :TOH: Compared to the old version, this leather is significantly thinner, lighter and as a result it is much more comfortable and a pleasure to wear. It's the type of leather that think you would like very much since I know that you have a preference for lightweight jackets.
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Looks really good! I personally prefer the original stirated lamb jacket though myself. Watching the blu-ray special features, that leather matched the best to the scenes filmed on the idol grab set.