New bag from USW

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

New bag from USW

Post by Michaelson »

Just announced this morning:

http://www.uswings.com/mk6newsletter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: New bag from USW

Post by Gorak »

Too cool! I may have to get one! I still have my $10 gift card! WooHoo! Thanks Michealson!
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Interesting take on the bag.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

I wonder why the Mark VI instead of the VII? Too many others out there? Or is someone at USW a big ToD fan?

LJT
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Looks like a cool bag, but the strap at only 48" long?? Way too short...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I looked at that length, too, and I think they're referring to the strap attached from hook to hook rather than fully extended.....as a matter of fact, I'm almost sure of it. I just measured my Keppler strap (which I allow to ride a bit lower on my waist) and it measures 52", even though I know fully extended from end to end it's 72". :-k

Before anyone asks, no, I did not have anything to do with this project other than to suggest it to USW many MANY years ago. =;

This one popped up on my radar for me the same day I posted the original word above. After that happened, I forwarded a link to the COW mainpage FAQ about the bag so they could see what the real ones looked like compared to their version. That's all I know about it.

Regards! M
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I would think you are spot on with this Mark, as I just recently ordered a 1 1/2 wide leather strap (similar convigeration as USW's leather one) with brass hooks and buckle from another supplier for my Egan MKVII leather bag and it is measured from hook-to-hook placement on to the bag and is just a bit longer than the one offered here by Wing's! I really like the strap much better than my older, more 'SA' ones! Guess I am getting more and more to the point of 'function over form.' Just sits better on me and looks cool as well with the aniqued brass hardware! W>
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Cool! A new bag! :[
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Speaking as one who has an original MK VII, I'm glad there's a good place to get MK VI. Always wanted one!
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I've been thinking about tracking down a Mark VI for a while... well, that's done! :D
Serial Hero
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Serial Hero »

Any reviews on the bag yet? I went to their site, and it looks pretty good from the pics.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I have one, and I've used it daily for about a month. As far as quality, it's well made. It looks great, too. The strap is too short to wear across the chest unless your small, or want it in an authentic gas-mask position. However, since the strap is a clip-on, it's easy to swap it out with a leather strap. I flipped the d-rings around so my strap was holding the flat side, rather than the rounded. I did this because the rings are rather small.

Functionally, I found the design to be less useful than a mark VI, and harder to organize smaller items. The best feature are the two full-depth rear pockets. The problem is, the front inner pocket is only half of the depth of the bag, unlike the MKVII. So, big stuff doesn't fit well, and small stuff tends to jiggle out gradually. This is probably not the fault of USW. I have never seen the real version, but suspect that the design is accurate to the original.

My overall assessment - If you have always wanted a ToD style bag, grab this baby. If you love the practicality of your MKVII, and are just wondering if this would be any better... no, sorry. UNless you know for sure that the pocket configuration would suit what you carry, stick to the MKVII's.
Serial Hero
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Serial Hero »

Thanks, that helps. I went ahead and ordered one. It'll be here Friday, so I'll see...
IndianaRedmon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaRedmon »

It's been awhile since I added another bag to my Indiana Jones stuff. Thanks Michelson :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Indiana Charles
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Charles »

Well, after much hemming and hawing I finally fell off the fence and bought one of these. I'll post pics when it arrives.

-I.C.
Serial Hero
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Serial Hero »

Well... I've been carrying the MKVI for about a week and a half now and I finally have time to write a review...

Overall I give it a four out of five...

This is the first time I have ever ordered from USW. I didn't have any contact with anyone from the company. I placed my order through the web site, which said shipping would take five to eight business days. I received my order in four, so high marks for speed.

The Bag:
Out of the box it was very mustard yellow, which is the color listed, though on my computer the pics look a little more tan. It was also very stiff. the stitching is very good and it is well made.
I filled the kitchen sink with lukewarm to cold water and let the bag soak for about 15 minutes, scrunching it up into a ball a few times, and working it over a bit. It did bleed a lot of color as soon as it was placed in the water. I then wrung it out and ran it through a half cycle in the dryer, on delicate. overall the bag shrank up about an inch, but I played with it a bit while it was damp and stretched it back, then let it air dry. The bag is now soft but still holds it's shape.

The strap:
I will say I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting it to be a little more heavy duty, but the weave of the webbing is very loose, more like something you would find on a girls shoulder bag than a piece of military equipment. I will most likely be replacing it with a leather one in the near future. The length is fine. To tighten up the strap a bit I soaked it in hot water for about 15 to 20 minutes, then ran it through the dryer, which did shrink it up some. From the end of one clip to the other I have it set so it measures about 46 inches, and can extend it another five if needed. The lose weave of the webbing means it stretches a little with the bag full.

I like the two full back pockets on the back, but the inside pocket is far too shallow. I agree with CJ that it will not replace my MKVII.

It is also not an exact reproduction. The hardware is modern, as seen in the pics on their site, and it only has two drain holes on the bottom instead of three. They are also made of a wire mesh rather than the little disks with holes in them.

So, overall a good bag. Not historically accurate, and might be too yellow for ToD, but a good travel bag, and one I'll take on many adventures.

-SH-
Indiana Charles
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Charles »

Excellent writ up! Thanks for the review :TOH:

-I.C.