Anyone else bothered by all the cowboy comments?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Banky
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Banky »

I've been wearing fedoras in general for some time, but since wearing an indy styled fedora I get way more cowboy comments than with any other hat. maybe it just bothers me because I'm a life long city boy. What are your thoughts?
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Anyone else bothered by all the cowboy comments?

Post by Charybdis »

Hmm, I have never heard the "cowboy" reference. Just once I was called the "mafia" and Al Capone, but that's all I have ever heard...the fedora does not look like a cowboy hat, that's for sure!!
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Once in a blue moon, I get a cowboy comment and it is always from a young child.......I just tip my hat and say "pardner?"...and move on...... :TOH:
Banky
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Banky »

It's funny, when wearing other fedoras that look nothing like an Indy hat I got the Indy comments. Wearing an actual indy hat I get the cowboy comments. I just can't seem to catch a break, lol.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Oddly enough, I get cowboy comments all the time.... and I live in Texas where they should all KNOW what a cowboy hat looks like, haha.

To be fair, the hat is tall and has a wider brim than most "fedora's" in the modern viewpoint...

I wore my Akubra "Snowy River" and had Indy comments, I wear my Akubra "Federation" and get Cowboy comments.... the world makes no sense, hahaha :lol:
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

Never got a cowboy comment in 30 years. What gives?

Gailen
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

I rarely get comments if at all. In fact i cant remember any. I guess its my angry looking mug. But "cowboy" is an honor for me. As a self proclaimed city hating, gun toting, ruffian, cowboy suits me very well. Im your Huckleberry.
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

Banky wrote:It's funny, when wearing other fedoras that look nothing like an Indy hat I got the Indy comments. Wearing an actual indy hat I get the cowboy comments. I just can't seem to catch a break, lol.

THIS exactly. But since I'm mostly in a brown Indy, I would say it's 20% compliments and 80% some teenager saying, "Yeehaw!" or something similarly asinine to me.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

People have no clue... my buddy and I were both dressed in three piece suits, one in brown, the other grey with matching fedoras, one of us wearing a bowtie. We get called the Blues Brothers. Another time in Paris, me and two friends all dressed in suits and fedoras, overcoats, etc... we get called the Three Musketeers. Ironically, we've dressed as both the Blues Brothers and the Musketeers at other times so these schmucks were just psychic...

I remember in one of the novels, Indy gets called a cowboy. His response was "I like Westerns". So, we're all in good company. :TOH:
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

Remember when somebody called me an idot when I dressed up in hat, shirt, and pants, Oh that's right, it was my wife.

Gailen
Last edited by trdaggers on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Strangely, I get the (inappropriate ) Indy, cowboy, and gangster comments almost exclusively from those closest (which annoys me no end). But most people on the street, if they say anything, it's just a compliment of the hat, asking where I got it, or expressing their wish they had one like it. One guy decided to avoid the Indy comment in a store (I was in a totally different fedora) and said I looked like Harrison Ford. I can deal with that.

The funniest comment came from my father, though not with a fedora. I had a newsboy cap on. He said I looked like Al Capone's driver. #-o

I think most silly comments are an attempt to connect or seem "in the know" even when they clearly are not.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

People are going to make whatever associations are rattling around in their head. I got an "Indy" comment while wearing a Resistol Open Road style hat with a Hollywood brim...which makes about as much sense as calling anyone in a car Dale Earnhardt.

Can't say I've ever gotten a cowboy comment...even when wearing my more Cowboy-ish hats.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I get that once in a while but I just say to them " thanks but it a fedora not a cowboy hat." I have gotten " nice top hat" once by a young woman once. :shock:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I can relate to just about all of the comments re: this subject. Little kids call me cowboy, from time-to-time. An older lady called me 'Crocodile Dundee' once. While wearing an Tilley Winter hat, I got the 'Jones' comment and so on. I have long given up on attempting to explain the difference between fedoras and western, much less any other type of hats to people -- waist of time. I too did get the 'top hat' (sort of) comment a number of years ago (posted this on this site), when a guy stopped cold in his tracks, stared and said: "That's one tall hat!" I responded: "Yeah, and Abraham Lincoln is still trying to find out who took it." He didn't get the response, so I just moved on. I truly just don't care anymore what anyone thinks about this or that hat. If you really want to get strange comments, try wearing deerstalkers -- this really opens up the field for feedback \:D/ ! The same thing happens with the jackets too. I can wear a non-Indy leather jacket (doesn't matter what hat) and get the Indy comments and then, on the other hand wear an 'Indy' jacket and hear: "Nice jacket...'' or nothing at all. People are people. Each individual has his or her thought processes going in their own unique and individual way. Thus, what they perceive is what 'they' perceive and to me, that's fine. I just don't have the time, anymore, to retaliate and attempt to educate them, as they probably wouldn't care, much less remember anyway. W>
Geno
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Geno »

I think it's really all about the hat's dimensions. The Indy-style fedoras are tall crowned and medium-wide in the brim. While I've noticed fedoras are becoming more and more common among young people (particularly "geek" culture), the teenagers of the world generally don't make enough money to commit to buying something made out of fur felt. They instead buy the economic alternative: the department store trilbies.

Since the fedoras that are being seen the most among youth are stingy brimmed and made of material like canvas and wool, that's what's become ingrained in the present-day lingo of some as a "Fedora". If you asked someone off the street what a fedora looked like, they'd come up with something like this:

because that's what's becoming more and more popular.

COWBOY hats on the other hand are traditionally wider brimmed. They also have been known for being made out of felt, and having taller crowns at times. If someone who's used to seeing trilby-type fedoras suddenly spots a hat that's made of felt and is tall/wide, I think it'd be easy for them to make the mistake. The ribbon is generally not one of the first things to be noticed, if at all.

Personally, I've been complimented on "my cowboy hat", to which I replied "thank you". It's just as well if the comment was meant as something positive. I've also worn Bowlers and had them confused for Top Hats, so go figure.

Interestingly enough, I've received more comments about how I look like Tom Baker than Indiana Jones.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I completely agree with your observation. It's sad when someone confuses a fedora with a top hat.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I was 11 when Raiders came out and while I was a big Harrison Ford fan, I didn't have a great desire to see it because I thought it was going to be a western [-X . All I knew about the movie was that he wore a funky hat and rode a horse. Ahhh, the ignorance of youth! Oh, and I now love westerns, too. :TOH:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

You know....thinking this thing through a bit further...what to 'heck,' I am correct about not letting it bother me, for any reason! My grandfather Conly was a real, and true cowboy from the late 19th century into the 20th century and my father loved his (really good, in those days) Stetson 'Open Road' hat more then any of the other fedoras, similar hats, he owned -- so what is the big deal! Again, it is all in how people perceive things. There are some pretty cool 'cowboy-style' hats out there, if one -- but looks. Watson Hats has some really nice 'cowboy style' fedoras that I truly like and there are many other hatters, and hats, out there, that fall into this frame-work, if you will. It all goes back to 'wear the hat,' 'don't let it wear you!' Truly, it is that simple! W>
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

The way I see it, if it bothers you, you need to become more comfortable in the hat. You have to wear the hat, no have the hat wear you. The best compliments I get are never directly about my hats but rather that I wear it well, that it looks natural on me. Let the thing become your friend so there isn't that awkward and forced small talk between the two of you. When that happens, those comments will subside and if they don't, realize that someone went out of their way to compliment your head gear. That is what really matters

Dave
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I've posted this personal observation before, but I've noticed over the years that the color of the fedora, specifically brown, seems to attract the 'cowboy' comment more.

Brown definitely draws that comparsion, but when wearing a color fedora OTHER than brown, I've NEVER heard anyone say anything but 'nice hat'! :-k

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I would have to agree. I have observed the same.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

I hate it when they do that.

People over here associate a fedora with short brimmed hats. Any had that has a wider brim is automatically a cowboy hat for them. Go figure. :roll:
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Fenris, the cowboy comments come from ignorance and if you're wondering where these people are coming from with these comments the fact remains they do not know better. Now, that being said, I'm not encouraging an exchange of words, do so at your discretion, with these people but they wouldn't know a type of hat from what they would put on their head at a baseball game or the pointed one they were forced to wear when the teacher made them sit in a corner !!! :whip:
LouisiannaJames26
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LouisiannaJames26 »

My uncle evrytime he sees me wears my akubra adventurer, he says "nice cowboy hat!", and kinds of irritates me a little :(
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

When you break it all down it comes out pretty simplistic: 1) Most people have limited knowledge (regarding many, if not most things), why should hats be any different? 2) Take the 'nice' part of the comments, if they should be in the statement and thank the person(s) for saying so, and; 3) In one hundred years, will anyone remember, much less care that the statement was ever thought, made, or said? I doubt it. So, simply -- let it go, smile and keep on truckin' :- ! W>
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I say why pass up the oputunity to educate that person.
wilbyc82
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wilbyc82 »

Crocodile Dundee is another odd description I have had :-)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

wilbyc82 wrote:Crocodile Dundee is another odd description I have had :-)
Same here. ](*,)
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

John, I would agree with you but, unfortunately, most aren't worth the time as they are making those statements purely to tease or don't care. I understand where you're coming from as this is your business and your passion, I think it's one of those situations that one needs to handle as the situation presents itself and take it from there. LouisiannaJames26, please don't take my statement on this as an insult to your Uncle, I meant what I said as a general statement not necessarily pertaining to famly and loved ones just making a passing comment but to those that would throw things out there without knowing what they're saying or to do some insult. :TOH:
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

My situation's probably a bit unique, since I grew up riding horses and working cattle on a family ranch/farm, and work with archaeology in my research nowadays. I personally don't mind these rare comments too much. If I or they are in a hurry, I just smile and mention that I grew up on a ranch (most of the time, these comments are from kids who really like the "cowboy" hat). Occasionally, an adult will compliment me on the "cowboy" hat; I'll first thank them and mention how it's actually a fedora. I've never had anyone call it a cowboy hat in some sort of tease or insult. On the few occasions when I get the Indiana Jones comment, I just smile back with "Actually, it's Dr. S_____, not Dr. Jones--but I do some work in archaeology, too." ;) More often than not, that leads to some fun conversations. :D

People are going to comment if 1) if they're interested in it and trying to compliment you or start a conversation, 2) you're self-conscious, or 3) you're "different" from what the masses are wearing. For 1, sure--that's a great opportunity to educate! For 2--decide why you want to wear it, and then just wear the @#$% out of it! ;) That's what I figure a lot of the "wear the hat, don't let it wear you" addresses. For 3--is that person's opinion worth having it live rent-free in your head? My 2 cents...

:TOH: Best wishes,
Dr. Nebraska S.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

BendingOak wrote:I say why pass up the oputunity to educate that person.
John: While I agree with you, at the base level, my experience has been that most just look at me as if I am being offensive/defensive. Which to me translates to they really don't care in the first place -- thus, why bother. With children, it is truly different -- they love to soak information in and usually retain it. Adults are most often quite different and either 'blow the return banter off,' or walk away 'cursing under their breath,' probably because they do not wish to accept that they don't know everything. Thus, my attitude of just 'let it be.' Is it really all that important? In most cases, I truly don't believe it is. W>
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Something else just occurred to me, that I have failed to mention on this subject. Here I am in the Mid-West (Kansas), so I guess I am not truly all that surprised by the 'Cowboy Hat' comments, however, every time my wife and I travel to Texas (I was born in Texas, have relatives there and an amateur Texas Historian), I never receive this type of comment. It's always -- 'Great looking fedora,' and the like. Perhaps, this is because the folks in this portion of the country are a bit more educated or knowledgeable regarding the differences in the two different styles of hats -- ie: because Western and/or Cowboy hats are so familiar there. Heck, I don't know? From what I have experienced -- it does seem to be more universal where there are fewer 'true cowboy-types' of folks around. Kind of quirky, is it not? W>
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Has anybody here been called "Indiana Dundee"? :rolling:

Well, I have... but it was just some teasing among friends. I wonder if a total stranger said that, though... :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Indy Mick! :P

...we're not bothered by the 'cowboy' comments at all! :P
Last edited by Texan Scott on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

fenris wrote:Has anybody here been called "Indiana Dundee"? :rolling:

Well, I have... but it was just some teasing among friends. I wonder if a total stranger said that, though... :-k
'Dundee' -- Yes! 'Indiana Dundee' -- No, thank goodness [-o< ! W>
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

A few years ago an older woman called me, "John Wayne". We both then had a good laugh. Hey, I didn't mind being associated to "The Duke"!
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

raider 57 wrote:A few years ago an older woman called me, "John Wayne". We both then had a good laugh. Hey, I didn't mind being associated to "The Duke"!
This one is great! I think I would (have wanted -- if I could have come up with it, on-the-spot), "Really, thank you. Which film :- ? W>
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Remember, cowboy is a good thing to be called. Whats more bada$$ than a good ole American cowboy? Well maybe Indy, but only Indy. :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Back in the 1880's, not in Arizona/Texas/New Mexico, unless you were a cattle rustler, stage robber or road agent. It not, it was the LAST thing you wanted to be called. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cowboys_(Cochise_County" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Regards! Michaelson
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:Back in the 1880's, not in Arizona/Texas/New Mexico, unless you were a cattle rustler, stage robber or road agent. It not, it was the LAST thing you wanted to be called. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cowboys_(Cochise_County" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Regards! Michaelson

Whyyyyy Johnny Ringo..you look like someone just walked over your grave.

By cowboy I mean the standard interpretation of a guy with a horse, hat, and six shooter. (Not Indy haha). Only history lovers like us know who The Cowboys were!
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Come to think of it, the closest I ever got to a cowboy comment was while wearing a vintage Dobbs Gay Prince, which must have triggered some Woody (from Toy Story) imagery from the Trader Joes clerk.

But I don't even get cowboy comments in this one:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

ChrisMD wrote:Only history lovers like us know who The Cowboys were!
;) :TOH:
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

I'm not sure how anyone could mistake Indy for a cowboy... :-k :lol:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Cajunkraut wrote:I'm not sure how anyone could mistake Indy for a cowboy... :-k :lol:
Got me :-k ? I don't get the connection :rolling: ! W>
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I'm never bothered. Considering the style of Indy's hat is pre WWII and closer to the era of cowboy hats. a Large brim, high crown, etc.

What baffles me constantly is the confusion in TEXAS!!!!

My Akubra Snowy river get's Indy Comments, my Akubra Federation get's cowboy comments.

That dog just doesn't hunt for me..... I mean, if ANYONE should know a cowboy hat, it's people in Texas.....

](*,)

I reckon it goes to show the "image" of Indy in the public eye. Many COW members have mentioned how a "Crocodile Dundee hat" will get Indy comments while an accurate Indy lid receives "Mobster" comments or cowboy comments.

In the public conscious it seems that Indy has that dangerous wild air that is connected to Australians, the outback, the wild, etc. Truthfully, Indy isn't related to Cowboys, the IDEA of Indy is related to untamed lands and exploration.
The true fedora of Indy is related to a Cowboy hat due to it's physical characteristics.

Therefore, people are prejudice towards the idea of Indy's hat vs. the physicality of his hat.
bc2262
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bc2262 »

My uncle has worn a fedora since I can remember. My siblings and I always referred to him as "Indiana Jones." All of our friends asked if he was a cowboy when we were younger. Being an Indy fan back then (the early 90s), I never got the cowboy reference, as it didn't have the cowboy look.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I have also gotten the " Al Capone" comment and, being that I am hispanic, have occassionally heard the "lowrider" comment.......in full gear! :-k
JR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by JR »

I'm going to say that's both a yes and a no for me. I generally don't find it annoying. Its only after asking if it's a cowboy hat, when they're trying to speak like a cowboy that's irritating. I also get the cowgirl hat comments. One really funny, albeit ironic experience was during the premiere of CS when I was asked if my hat was a cowboy hat by a concession stand attendant. Several feet away (and to the right) on the wall behind her was a movie poster of CS. Not to mention the theater was packed with other Indy fans, mostly wearing fedoras. :roll:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

I get a few "yeeehawws" every now and then when im driving. Because I wear a resistol straw cowboy hat and my truck is covered in gun stickers and i have a big Cheyenne WY sticker on it too. (My favorite city and only one I like unless you consider Loveland CO a city)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, at least YOUR received 'cowboy' comments are well deserved, Chris! :-k ;)

Regards! Michaelson