Streets of Cairo tutorial

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

j2m
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Streets of Cairo tutorial

Post by j2m »

Hi everyone,

I've used the search option but with no luck :P Maybe i've missed it but anyway...
I've just ordered some Fuller's earth from Todd's, I am planning to give my Henry the SOC treatment :whip:
Now, I dont want to distress, distort or even sit on my hat and bugger the felt :shock: but would just like to apply the earth on it and try to give it the SOC look.
I will be using screen grabs as well as the many amazing photos that can be found here.
I've never used Fuller's before so was wondering if there are any techniques or tips to be careful about before giving it a go...?
Has anyone made a tutorial of it before? any help would be greatly appreciated :TOH:

Regards :TOH:
JM
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Streets of Cairo tutorial

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Try a search for fuller's earth in either the fedora or gear distressing sections.

In short, though, putting the FE in a sock to bang against your hat has been suggested. As well as using a paint brush to apply heavier layers in particular areas.

Go slow, you can always add more.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
j2m
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by j2m »

Thanks for the reply IJ,

Ya, I've thought about the sock technique and the brush, even had earbuds in mind for the little details... will try doing a bit of research... 8-[]
I'm just not sure about one thing too, does the earth stick to the hat really well once applied? or is there some kind of secret as to how to make it stay there?
I guess i'm just thinking, one bit of wind and all of it might get blown away after spending time doing it all nicely in details... ](*,)

JM
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Well, the FE is just clay dust. It'll stick to some degree, but not every grain will stay in place during regular wear. Think about how much dust is flying off of Indy while he's being chased by the Hovitos.

If you want every last dust mark to stay exactly how it is in the movie, then your hat will have to be on a static display. If you plan to wear it, it'll look dusty, but won't stay exact to SOC.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
j2m
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by j2m »

Thanks again for the input IJ!!! :H:

But, if one day, say I decide to purchase an SOC Fedora from one of the amazing hat makers that offer it, does that mean the dust they put on the hat would also fly away in a bit of wind? or do they actually have a way of making it stick to the felt?
I'm sorry for the constant questioning but I'm just a bit confused about how they would make the hat look permanently that way... :-k

JM
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Best way to answer that is this quote from John. Emphasis is mine.
Only speaking for myself. I never make claim I make the best Cairo or even the best Riders hat. I want to make the best Raiders hat but minus the poor craftsmanship and with better material. I personally don't like doing the Cairo. I put in a lot of hours to craft the best quality hat just to then make it look (well sorry guys and dolls) like a broken mess. I also have the understanding that if I spend my time putting in every bump, dimple , crease and sweat stain that after wearing and handling it will change. It will take on the customers own personality. so, all that effort is loss once starts to wear it. I still make the customer because like everyone here, I'm a Indy fan and I want to make you guys and dolls happy. Just as i want to make every customer happy.

My advise is. If you want a SA cairo hat to plop up on the mantle or display. Please by all means there are others that do a great job at it. If you want a Raiders hat that is SA but was built to last on the adventures of Indy and made with care to the craft of hat making then that's me. I want my hats to be worn not sit on a shelf.

There's no magic to making the FE stick. It is dust. It will come off. I suppose you could apply hair spray over the whole hat, but I would not recommend that. The only way to make the stains permanent is to actually make them permanent through bleaching or dying. Again, also not a suggested course of action.

Having said that, a hat with FE will continue to look different than one with none on it. It will retain a dusty look to it, but if your goal is to be completely identical to the SOC hat and have that never change, the hat will need to stay on a display, not worn.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
cropdustdair
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cropdustdair »

This tutorial is most helpful! Thanks everyone! ;)
IndianaRedmon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaRedmon »

Very helpful information. Thanks