What's your favourite Indy hat?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: What's your favourite Indy hat?

Post by BendingOak »

micsteam wrote:It's hard for me to pick a specific scene the way the hat was worn in but as far as what is the best Indy movie hat it's Raiders hands down for me all the time. Deborah Nadoolman, whom is married to director John Landis (Animal House, American Werewolf in London fame), was the costume designer on this movie and I have to say not only Indy's fedora but all the others worn in the movie had real character !! I love the Temple grab, the Streets of Cairo, Bar Fight, Fight at the Plane, it's just a great fedora. I think now the ultimate goal is finding the right thin grade felt that matches the Raiders hat.

I totally agree with you and I'm working on it.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

BendingOak wrote:
micsteam wrote:It's hard for me to pick a specific scene the way the hat was worn in but as far as what is the best Indy movie hat it's Raiders hands down for me all the time. Deborah Nadoolman, whom is married to director John Landis (Animal House, American Werewolf in London fame), was the costume designer on this movie and I have to say not only Indy's fedora but all the others worn in the movie had real character !! I love the Temple grab, the Streets of Cairo, Bar Fight, Fight at the Plane, it's just a great fedora. I think now the ultimate goal is finding the right thin grade felt that matches the Raiders hat.

You da' man, John! :clap:

When I got my lightweight hat from Art, I was blown away by how good the felt was and how close it felt to vintage.

I'm sure you'll knock this one out of the park...I might have to get a Raiders hat! :lol:
LouisiannaJames26
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LouisiannaJames26 »

The Temple of Doom bridge hat is personally my favorite, the sable color shade is so sandy on the sunlight. The swoops are good too.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Im highly irritated. You guys have me looking at another hat. Thinking of a Penman Last Crusade or Temple of Doom if im going in chronological order. Mr Penman are you still making these two? (Wallet hopes you say no)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Yes I still make all the Indy hats.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

ChrisMD wrote:Im highly irritated. You guys have me looking at another hat.

Let's see, you've been a member about three months.

Picked up your first 'real' fedora.

Now you're Jonesing (pun intended) for another.

Yep, right on schedule. :D

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
david_h
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by david_h »

CS hat is my favorite. I'm incredibly lucky to have an Adventurebilt and a Penman version and love them both...

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

ChrisMD wrote:Im highly irritated. You guys have me looking at another hat. Thinking of a Penman Last Crusade or Temple of Doom if im going in chronological order. Mr Penman are you still making these two? (Wallet hopes you say no)

Thought I would hep you out with some links to photos.

LC

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 449&type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 449&type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TOD

erikgunnlugson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by erikgunnlugson »

I think you bumped up the brim specs my 1/8 of an inch for the TOD later on.
This is the pic that sold me on getting one.

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad84 ... C_6662.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its perfect
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

BendingOak wrote:

I know you are John ....... ssshhhh !!
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Just saw the facebook pics for the LC ...... Wow !!!!! John you totally nailed it !!!! It looks exactly like Ford's hat when he gets to Venice. You know the funny thing is the LC hat looks a lot like Ford's hat in the Raven bar fight sequence ( obviously without the tight pinch and larger brim).
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

IMHO, nobody does the LC hat better than John.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

That is correct sir !!!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

erikgunnlugson wrote:I think you bumped up the brim specs my 1/8 of an inch for the TOD later on.
This is the pic that sold me on getting one.

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad84 ... C_6662.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its perfect

You are correct. The first set of shots I posted of me wearing the TOD hat really show off the crown very well but I did bump up the brim by 1/8 inch. It's now one of my favorites.
Kustomkid
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Kustomkid »

michael wrote:Perhaps I'm cheating a bit, but I'm partial to a ... combination, a marriage, if you will ... of the idol grab and streets of Cairo.

I'm with you on that! That what I think the raiders should look like
IndianaRedmon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaRedmon »

All fro ROTLA, Idol grab would be my favorite, next would be Cairo fight scene, and finally Raven Bar Scene.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

I really love the raiders hat! The best thing about it is the tight front pinch! :whip: :shock:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

The idol grab fedora morphed into the SoC fedora. If that was the same hat, and it sure looks like it was, it was just in an early stage without the heat and elements applied to it.
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

I've got to go with the Streets of Cairo version for the rough and tumble look, followed by the Venice Pier hat for the man about town look.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Because it never gets much love, I really love the hat in the bridge scene of ToD. I've read that it was a left over from the Raiders shoot and this the only one that bears any resemblance to it. That hat, with its seemingly wider brim and straighter sides is really great. Even the shallow dents are cool.

Dave
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by getoutofthelibrary »

Idol grab.
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

I concur :TOH:
baddates1 wrote:I really love the raiders hat! The best thing about it is the tight front pinch! :whip: :shock:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

THIS ONE

baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Snapbrim76 wrote:Yes the idol grab is a great one. I love that stove pipe look. I do like the bridge hat although I think it looks a bit new and unbashed.

In the LC pier scene (meeting Dr Schnider) and the climbing out the college window scene, the hat looks so smart. There's no way anyone would give him the old "cowboy hat" comment. The brim is a very nice shape - its in Indy hat for formal ocassions. I cannot get any of my fedoras to look like that. Does anyone else like that curl in the brim?
One time I shaped my hat after that brim! Except that the front brim I had was partial LC and Raiders(sort of) I called it at the time: The Raiders and the Last Crusade hat
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by getoutofthelibrary »

Idol Grab and CS Train.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

This one.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Cajunkraut wrote:Image

This one.
Yepper -- It's a keeper! But, as stated in these posts -- all of them are 'keepers,' just depends on the mood -- not only the 'mood' of the picture, but also what is our 'mood' for us! And, as we all know here on this site -- this can change from day-to-day, depending on 'our' mood's or thoughts. So what is the answer or resolve to this? Stop 'feeding our hat makers :o ! But, this is not the American way! We must muster our forces and move in the direction of helping our fellow man/woman keep in step -- and provide us more great hats ;) ...and greater 'reserves' in our bank accounts :rolling: ! W>
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

WConly wrote:
Cajunkraut wrote:Image

This one.
Yepper -- It's a keeper! But, as stated in these posts -- all of them are 'keepers,' just depends on the mood -- not only the 'mood' of the picture, but also what is our 'mood' for us! And, as we all know here on this site -- this can change from day-to-day, depending on 'our' mood's or thoughts. So what is the answer or resolve to this? Stop 'feeding our hat makers :o ! But, this is not the American way! We must muster our forces and move in the direction of helping our fellow man/woman keep in step -- and provide us more great hats ;) ...and greater 'reserves' in our bank accounts :rolling: ! W>
What can I say, I'm partial to all things Raiders because let's face it, it's the one that started the whole IJ phenomenon.

That's not to say that later iterations of the gear weren't great. Just call me a purist. :)
Whitman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Whitman »

TOD, followed by CS, and then any Raiders hat.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

What's your favourite Indy hat?

Post by ChrisMD »

Raiders, Crusade, Temple, Skull. I thought the CS hat looked like a satirization of an Indy hat, kinda costumey.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Truly, if you pay close attention to details and if you watch the movies back to back (personally I don't like to watch them one after the other I prefer spaced out over time as not to kill their intensity), but there is one distinction... the hats in Raiders have more distinction and personality and we don't see that until Crystal Skull. I feel that in TOD and LC they just felt we'd just recognize the character and not pay attention to his hat but I feel HJ (Herbert Johnson) dropped the ball... big time !!! Not real great fedoras at all, they had to change hats between scenes all the time because the hats couldn't hold a pinch/turn/shape. I know everybody is going to say that in at least Temple of Doom Stetson did the hats but they did very few if any at all, maybe just enough to say they were in the movies. Bottom line, Herbert Johnson did all the fedoras/hats for the first three movies with Steve Delk/Adventurebilt for the 4th and the 4th movie being as close to the original as possible. :TOH:
Bigfoot
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Somewhere in Southern Nevada, looking for a nuked fridge

Post by Bigfoot »

I like the CS fedora, it took on some character,
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

micsteam wrote:Truly, if you pay close attention to details and if you watch the movies back to back (personally I don't like to watch them one after the other I prefer spaced out over time as not to kill their intensity), but there is one distinction... the hats in Raiders have more distinction and personality and we don't see that until Crystal Skull. I feel that in TOD and LC they just felt we'd just recognize the character and not pay attention to his hat but I feel HJ (Herbert Johnson) dropped the ball... big time !!! Not real great fedoras at all, they had to change hats between scenes all the time because the hats couldn't hold a pinch/turn/shape. I know everybody is going to say that in at least Temple of Doom Stetson did the hats but they did very few if any at all, maybe just enough to say they were in the movies. Bottom line, Herbert Johnson did all the fedoras/hats for the first three movies with Steve Delk/Adventurebilt for the 4th and the 4th movie being as close to the original as possible. :TOH:

I got two words Debra Landis
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

I said pretty much the same thing a couple of years ago in another thread polling everyone's favorite fedora:

"The Raiders hat because it wasn't trying to be "like" anything else and wasn't a compromise to merchandising agreements. It was "original."

The CS hat because it has the same feel as the original, but has a look that matches adding 20 years to the character. Although it was obviously modeled on the original, it's an original in its own right and doesn't have the watered down look of the other two."

Even more specifically the idol scene (probably because of the really cool lighting) and the shot from the back the first time the hat appears onscreen are probably my personal favorites.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

...and this one. :)

I know you don't perceive much "turn swoop" in this pic. But in my opinion, it represents the quintessential Raiders fedora - boxy and tall. It kinda reminds me of Mark's IMAX poster.

micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Yes totally, good job Cajun !!! Thank god for HD pictures and Blu Ray because now we can post clear images of the shots from the movies we want !!! Back to the fedora, it's all about the felt !! The reason why the Raiders fedora is the best is the quality of the felt (mentioned in my earlier post), soft thin felt is reminiscent of the films of the 20's-40's and in Raiders (best of all) you can see the fedora takes several forms but is consistent. I've owned Peters Bros. fedoras (please guys don't take this the wrong way Peters Bors. makes a beautiful hat but stiff) and several other makes but my Steve Delk AB beaver Raiders, well I can do whatever I want with it, I can roll up the sides like in the fight at the Raven Bar or straighten the sides out like Cajun's pic or drop the back like the " Streets of Cairo".... etc. It's about the felt. :TOH:
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

I think I'm a fan of every look of the hat in Raiders, especially SOC and the Idol grab scenes. At the same time I like the LC and CS as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

LC all the way. Least favorite would be TOD. Bought a TOD from Steve years ago and sold it almost immediately.
alaska_mcghee
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by alaska_mcghee »

Top three.
1. Raiders Idol grab 2. Raiders Seaplane 3.CS
I think my Adventurebilt came as a CS. My Federation III deluxe has been mangled to a Idol grab as best as I can. Just to be different my grey fedora is a Joe Friday (Jack Webb) repro from Art Fawcett :anxious: . Maybe one day I will get the Seaplane hat. ;)

Johnny.
tacoma_ace
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by tacoma_ace »

NOBODY likes the Young Indiana Jones hat(s) and whatever the heck is going on with them?... I will always like the SoC hat I guess, personally :-$
MS Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MS Jones »

LC and CS for me by a land slide. My OCD to the tenth power prevents me from being able to deal with the turn of the Raiders hat. My own daily driver (a highly modified Downtowner) is kind of a combo of ToD and LC. I wear it well. :TOH:

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Tapatalk