Adventurebilt or Penman?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

bkurilla
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Adventurebilt or Penman?

Post by bkurilla »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and looking to get either an Adventurebilt or a Penman raider fedora in rabbit felt. Given that the quality and prices are comparable, the main factor for me is the wait time.

According to the website, the wait for an adventurebilt is approximately 4-8 weeks. However, I'm not sure how up-to-date this is. I've already read on here some of the stories of much longer wait times than this (sometimes over a year). So, I'm curious to hear from anyone who has recently received either an adventurebilt or a penman (or both, if you happen to be made of money :) ). About how long did you have to wait between the time you placed your order and time you received your hat?

Thanks in advance! I'm really looking forward to owning one of these works of art, so I obviously want to minimize the wait if possible!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Adventurebilt or Penman?

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Steve's current wait times are in that 6-8 week window for new orders.

Best I remember from John's last post on the topic, his wait time is currently running around 3 months.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

You don't have to be made of money to have both. You just have to have slightly messed up priorities. ;)

Steve runs more or less according to his schedule.

Mostly dead on - but sometimes things happen. And he's so buried in e-mails and work you may get a bit frustrated if you've circled a date on the calendar and it comes and goes with no word.

Penman is a train. If John says 3 months it's 3 months. You can set your watch by him. I have 8 of his hats and not one of them was later than the original estimate.

Although you didn't ask, as far as "quality," although John would defer to Steve every time, they are identical but different. Each is amazing in their own way and you won't be disappointed with either. :D
bkurilla
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bkurilla »

Thanks for the help!

Neither wait seems terrible, so I guess it's a bit of a toss up. I guess whichever hat I don't get this time will just be the one I get next time (easy to see how priorities quickly get messed up, ridgrunner58)!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

In that case, sounds like a coin toss to me! ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

Well, it might depend on how long one is waiting. If I had to do it over again, I'd definitely go with Penman. Good Luck! ;)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Always a good idea to contact the vendor/hat maker direct. Estimated times are just that. Estimated and they do change from time to time.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

....this has been a public service announcement. :P
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

I always consider "service" to be one of the things I'm paying for when I buy a hat. Penman has first class communication skills and an outstanding product.

Gailen
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I own an Adventurebilt AND a Penman. Both superlative craftsmanship. You'll not be disappointed with either. :notworthy:
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Exactly, it's a matter of how long you can wait. Remeber this is a custom hat made to your specifications so it does take time plus there are clients in front of you so ..... I personally have a Steve Delk AB and it is marvelous and I'm in the process of purchasing/ordering a Penman and beleive me whichever you choose between the two to make your hat/fedora you will not be dissappointed !! :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Both are skilled craftsmen with good eyes for details, quality and workmanship. But as of right now Steve could really use your business
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Adventurbilt for certain! Also they made the hat for Indy 4, so for certain do not miss this chance to get a hat form a company that provided for Indy 4. :| :) :D ;)
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I just paid Steve for a beaver CS; really hope this helps him out. BTW I emailed him yesterday and heard back within 24 hours.
jkdbuck76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jkdbuck76 »

BendingOak wrote:Always a good idea to contact the vendor/hat maker direct. Estimated times are just that. Estimated and they do change from time to time.
Yes! Ppl need to keep that in mind like before holidays and whatnot when everyone else wants a hat.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

jkdbuck76 wrote:
BendingOak wrote:Always a good idea to contact the vendor/hat maker direct. Estimated times are just that. Estimated and they do change from time to time.
Yes! Ppl need to keep that in mind like before holidays and whatnot when everyone else wants a hat.

Yes, yes. Very true. It's always wise to go shopping Early. The other thing to keep in mind, even if you can't get it in time for summer ( like a panama) or for the big holiday or gifts for birthdays. I think it's better to give a gift certificate rather then buy someone a hat. Hats are Avery personal thing and I think it's nice to let the person for whom this hat is for to pick the color style themselves.
erikgunnlugson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by erikgunnlugson »

John, you have gift certificates? I must have missed that. Would be easier than ninja stalking my father with a tape measure I betcha. :CR:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Yes and have for some time.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I know I'm reiterating what has already been said, but you can't go wrong with either. I own a few of both and they are amazing hats. I'm I it itching for another and going through what you are so you are not alone. Just know tha whatever you decide, you probably order the other in a few months.

Also, welcome to Club Obi Wan. Good to see some new faces around here.

Dave
Jerry
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Jerry »

On sort of a related question, I had John make me a hat last year and now I would like to get another hat. Is there a difference between Marc Kitter's AB Deluxes and Steve Delk's Adventure Builts?
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Jerry wrote:On sort of a related question, I had John make me a hat last year and now I would like to get another hat. Is there a difference between Marc Kitter's AB Deluxes and Steve Delk's Adventure Builts?
Yes, the felt is sourced from a different factory, and Marc uses a kangaroo leather sweatband.

See: http://www.adventurebiltdeluxe.com/hats.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;