When Did You Learn?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Andiana
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Southern California - The home of my 'home away from home'...Disneyland...

When Did You Learn?

Post by Andiana »

When did you learn how to crack a whip?

It was about 4 years ago, when I was about 9 or 10 years old.
Now I crack like a maniac. And I'm only 13!!
The Steel Beast
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by The Steel Beast »

I learned in 1986 after I got my first "country fair " whip ( a swivel handle) . Since then I have moved on to Strain, Stenhouse and Morgan, and things got much better :D .
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

I am still learning - everytime I go out with the whip I get a little better. I have now pretty much nailed the overhead crack and forward crack. I can do the side-arm crack but not everytime and its very frustrating.

Ken
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

I first cracked a whip about 3 weeks ago when I got my first whip (a stenhouse 10'). Since then I've been putting in about 3 practise sessions a week, about an hour each in time. I've got the forward and side-arm cracks pretty much nailed but I'm still working on the overhead crack. I plan on getting Paul's DVD in the near future, I hear it works wonders. Also, I think it's fairly safe to say that when i have the money I'll be investing in more whips... crack is addictive. :whip:
Q8Indy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Q8Indy »

Well i had my bullwhips since two years ago 10' DM & 8.5' Ben Scott i just learned to crack! i didnt had much time beside im kinda embarrassed from our neighbors, but i decided from now on to crack at the night, & its working with me. :whip:

Greetings Saud
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

... crack is addictive.
LOL IGB. As for me, I still haven't learned :cry: probably because I don't have a whip. -IJ
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

IndianaJones wrote:
... crack is addictive.
LOL IGB. As for me, I still haven't learned :cry: probably because I don't have a whip. -IJ
IJ, lets set it up man. Once the weather warms up around here (for good this time) we can have some whip sessions in Stewart Park. I'm actually thinking about picking up an 8' in the near future, so I might even have one for you to work with while I use the 10'!
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Many of us come from humble whipcracking beginnings, and I am no exception. I got my first bullwhip when I was 13 (back in 1993), and I've been cracking ever since! :D I, too, have moved from the cheap cowhide swivel handle bulls, up to a Texas latigo 10-footer, and finally three Morgans (2 of which I sold once David made me the perfect bullwhip). Skill-wise, I am completely self-taught, and pretty good, if I say so, myself.
Last edited by whipwarrior on Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

IJ, lets set it up man. Once the weather warms up around here (for good this time) we can have some whip sessions in Stewart Park. I'm actually thinking about picking up an 8' in the near future, so I might even have one for you to work with while I use the 10'!
Yeah, that'd be great whenever we can set it up! :junior: -IJ
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

Indiana Ken wrote:I am still learning - everytime I go out with the whip I get a little better. I have now pretty much nailed the overhead crack and forward crack. I can do the side-arm crack but not everytime and its very frustrating.

Ken
I'd like to see a little more clarification as some people confuse the names of basic cracks. I like people to be on the same page regarding learning. The forward crack you said is one you have mastered, but my guess that is not the crack you really mean. The circus/cattleman's crack I think is probably what you meant. To me, it's "the" basic crack. What confuses people in the terminology for this crack I think is because you are throwing the whip in a forward direction. But this crack is very similar to a "fishcasting" arm-move. Arm comes up, points back a little, then throws forward. That is the circus or cattleman's crack.

The Forward crack is much different and a bit more difficult. Ideally the setup is with the whip in front of you with your arm down, dragging the whip on the ground, bringing it behind you with a long arm sweeping way back, and long arm throwing from the rear. It is similar to throwing a ball, or style like serving a tennis ball. It is better done with a longer whip than a short. Doing this crack with a combination fast figure 8 is called the "Sydney Flash".

I realize most Indy guys are into the gear, and not much into whipcracking, although some are picking up some good techniques. I wish for more! Thus my input. I hope that I have helped.

Regarding the sidearm crack. It is called a "reverse horizontal" as opposed to the horizontal "overhead" crack. This is one of my favorite cracks too, as I use it for wraps. You can catch someone by wrapping around their knees and bring them down if need be. Now, this crack actually goes off about 1 or 2 o'clock, while your focal point/target is at 12 o'clock. If you focus on getting your cracks at 12, then you will have problems getting it to crack. Say, you have a smooth pole to wrap. Aim at 2 o'clock while the pole is 12. You should get cracks a lot easier now and see how the whip wraps the pole. Don't crack your good whips around trees. I sometimes use the little basketball goals for kids that is made of plastic. I've taken the goals off and also added target holders turning it into a good target stand. The plastic column on it is good for practicing the reverse horizontal/sidearm cracks and wraps.
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

Robert,

I call it the sidearm crack, too. Why? Because the term sidearm seems more intuitive to understand, like sidearming a baseball.

Hearing the term reverse horizontal make is sound like doing the horizontal or overhead crack, but swing in reverse, so that the whip swings clockwise over one's head, and cracks at about the 4-5 o'clock position. (Written from a right-handed perspective).

Although, I'm picky about calling them fall hitches, and not a keeper or keeper knot!

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

Paul_Stenhouse wrote:Hearing the term reverse horizontal make is sound like doing the horizontal or overhead crack, but swing in reverse, so that the whip swings clockwise over one's head, and cracks at about the 4-5 o'clock position. (Written from a right-handed perspective).

Although, I'm picky about calling them fall hitches, and not a keeper or keeper knot!
Are you describing the normal horizontal/overhead crack? If so, I understand that. A lot of people can't figure out that crack either. I believe that is due to the "fear factor" of the whip swinging over their head and then changing directions. One easy way to familiarize the overhead for a beginner is to do the traditional circus crack and then begin to bring it up on an angle gradually. Since the circus crack is straight up and down, begin to tilt the circus crack 5 to 10 degrees and get used to doing it on an angle until you can get it to 45 to 60 degrees or a totally flat horizontal. I really am not picky about the name sidearm crack but there is a lot of confusion on the "Forward" crack as many mistakenly believe when in reality its the circus crack.

I agree on the fall hitch. It is not a keeper not. The keepers are on stockwhips, or what might be referred to their hingelike properties.
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

Dear Robert,

That is the same crack we are discussing, the overhead/circus. It's funny that you mention how to transition into that crack, as that's exactly how I describe it on my video. But you are right, there is some fear factor with it until one is comfortable.

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
Tennessee R
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Tennessee R »

I got my first whip in about Oct-Nov of '03.
And my second in Dec of '03
I'm 15, now, and can do the Circus, Overhand, Sidearm, Horizontal, am fairly good at the 'S' Crack, Target cutting, etc.
racerx
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by racerx »

I received my first bullwhip around the age of 14, it was a four plait black and white one, with an 8 foot long, had a non swiveling handle, got it from a local leather and tack shop, also got a long lecture from the maker about safety and not hitting things with it,

I quickly wore it out after about a month, haha it came unbraided at the transition between the handle and thong, I wrapped black electrician tape around it, but it was never the same again.

Then,
at age 16, my parents bought me a 12 foot swivel handled bullwhip from
JCpennys no less, called the Dovers whip,
it had a four plait thong filled with straw.

That whip got used on every occasion I could fit in, :lol: in the rain, snow, on cement you name it and after wearing off the wide fall, I tied on a leather shoe string, the side arm crack was the only type of crack I knew that the time, it was loud and that at the time, was all that was needed .

At the ripe age of 18, I found David Morgan on the web,
then ordered two 8 foot 12 bullwhips from him, (gave one to my cousin)
the rest is history, now I'm totally addicted and enjoy using, along with increasing my whip collection, heck sometimes I even let my wife use
my Fraser stockwhips now and then :D .

Jim J.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Sorry!

Ok, I meant the circus crack. And by sidearm I mean the one where you hold the whip behind you and then kind of pull if straight forward and it cracks.

Ken
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

whipwarrior wrote:Many of us come from humble whipcracking beginnings, and I am no exception. I got my first bullwhip when I was 13 (back in 1993), and I've been cracking ever since! :D I, too, have moved from the cheap cowhide swivel handle bulls, up to a Texas latigo 10-footer, and finally three Morgans (2 of which I sold once David made me the perfect bullwhip). Skill-wise, I am completely self-taught, and pretty good, if I say so, myself.
Dale, I'll say so as well. I recall our get-together at Indydawg's place and you slicing those straws from your various limbs like it was nobody's business. I'd never seen that done before---even on video! But I digress.

It has been a year for me. I've put in quite a bit of practice with my Tim Bass 8 footer as well as one of Kyles' 4 foot picket bulls. For our 5th anniversary, my lovely wife is getting me an 8 foot Joe Strain Indy whip. \:D/ Man, am I jazzed! I can't wait 'til it gets here---but I think I'll still have to wait for the 15th to roll around.

I.J.
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

I bought my first whip back in 1982, I was 11 at the time and my dad bought it for me from our local Flea-Market. It is a 14 foot swivel handeled whip made from cowhide. I still have it to this day.
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

Paul_Stenhouse wrote:Dear Robert,

That is the same crack we are discussing, the overhead/circus. It's funny that you mention how to transition into that crack, as that's exactly how I describe it on my video. But you are right, there is some fear factor with it until one is comfortable.

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
Ironic thing for me, since my first "real" whip was a 10 footer, is I learned the Horizontal FIRST, and then picked up the forward and the reverse horizontal, then FINALLY last but not least, the Circus Crack. With the 10-foot, the Circus was really tough for me. Now we have a couple 8 footers and a 6 footer so a Circus Crack is now second nature. But it sure wasn't for a newbie with a 10 footer... I first learned to crack about 2 years ago when I got back into all this. Also picked up Alex Greens tapes at the same time and watched tape one over and over before I even tried it myself.
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

MJ,
Your comments about learning the Circus crack with a 10 footer got me to thinking about this past weekend at the TX WWAC convention.
There was a guy there that does one and two bullwhips in his show but uses 6 foot bullwhips. I brought 2 brand new Indy bullwhips that I just finished making, for people there to get a look at and a feel of. The guy could barely crack the 10 fthe ooter in a circus crack. His timing was all off for one and he was using way too much muscle.... an amateur mistake. To me, cracking the bullwhip is about showing grace instead of muscling a bullwhip into the loudest crack possible and then grinning like a possum... "look at me, I've got big cajones".... it ain't about that.... but the poor fella tried and tried to circus crack with the 10 footer and gave up finally.... just miserable for trying. I took it and showed him and others that the 10 footer really isn't a great whip for doing circus cracks but is easily if done if you know the mechanics... and have the aerial space. With a 10 footer you are reaching pretty high up in the air... that can be impossible in most indoor places and even outside, you may hit a power/phone line or tree limb. I showed everyone that it isn't about muscle either. Ideally a long whip like the 10 footer is good for horizontal cracks, be it forward or reverse cracks ....
That's why I suggest to many a would be buyer to please get an 8 foot as they will be much happier in the long run. If they are insistent on a 10 or 12 I will make it, but .... that's a personal decision they must make. I only want the best for them... not just for me to sell another whip and make money. I love long whips, don't get me wrong. But overall satisfaction is going to be found in the 7 to 8 foot range. I use all size whips in my shows.... from 4 foot to 14 foot bullwhips. This past weekend I won the Speed & Accuracy competition with my 4 foot bullwhip. I went first, and challenged everyone else to change hands on every other cup (10 cups set at different heights). I was in it for the fun anyway, but what amazed me is that I had the fastest time and picked up a nice Montana Silversmith's belt buckle with a bullwhip on it as sold in Mark Allen's catalog - Western Stage Props. Needless to say, no one else wanted to have fun like me and went real serious and only used one hand on each cup. I had fun! And won!

Last edited by Robert Duke on Wed May 05, 2004 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

Great points there Mr. Duke. I wanted the 10 footer originally because it was BIG. And that was before I knew what I was doing. I still enjoy it as it still does get off those horizontal BOOMS to no end. But for finess, for left and right hand cracking, multiple cracking, etc - I'm much happier now with our 6 foot whip. Who woulda thought? And the 8 footer is a great in-between.
Jack Flanders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jack Flanders »

I was never able to travel with the Wenatchee Washington Youth Circus, but learned tumbling, trampoline, juggling…and whip crackin’!
Tennessee R
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Tennessee R »

Minnesota Jones, That's interesting, about the order you learned your cracks in.

I learned the forward flick, the horizontal, and then the circus crack.

You know the saying, "Great minds learn whipcracks alike"