End of an era.

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

The Librarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

End of an era.

Post by The Librarian »

The only nearby hat cleaner closed up a few months ago. Last November, I called to see if they were still in business. The owner's brother answered the phone and said that the owner was in the hospital, and that it didn't look good. Let me say that the owner was ancient and that was why I called before going up.
Today I was driving by Vineland on my way to Phiily and decided to take a detour to see if the brother or someone had taken it over. This is what I found.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk17 ... neland.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I'm left with driving to South Street Hats in Philly, though Yelp reports it's closed, or shipping to John Penman (it's one of his works of art) for a cleaning and go hatless for who knows how long. Nothing against John, it that he's so #### popular and busy.

Marty
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: End of an era.

Post by WConly »

The Librarian wrote:The only nearby hat cleaner closed up a few months ago. Last November, I called to see if they were still in business. The owner's brother answered the phone and said that the owner was in the hospital, and that it didn't look good. Let me say that the owner was ancient and that was why I called before going up.
Today I was driving by Vineland on my way to Phiily and decided to take a detour to see if the brother or someone had taken it over. This is what I found.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk17 ... neland.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I'm left with driving to South Street Hats in Philly, though Yelp reports it's closed, or shipping to John Penman (it's one of his works of art) for a cleaning and go hatless for who knows how long. Nothing against John, it that he's so #### popular and busy.

Marty
Boy, that's the pits. But, with a world of younger-folk who think that 'stingy brim' wool felt fedoras are 'the thing...' what is a body to do. However, like you say, there is always John to turn too, however I don't think this type of issue is the 'only' reason is so 'popular and busy :-k ...' I would suggest that 'it' is only a tiny portion of his success story. I would also add that we should all be extremely grateful that he is willing to assist us with this service, as well. Considering that his hat making duties, alone, could easily give him an adequate and reasonable excuse for not doing this type of work. Instead, he is the kind of considerate fellow who understands our needs 'before production, during and quite valuably, after the fact.'

Great story, other then your loss at not having this provider available. But, still great, because it continues to show how the world of hats, so to speak, as truly changed so very much from past times. W>
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

John is always there to accomodate. He will even give you the window when he is ready to work on your hat so you are not without for very long.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

You could always send it to Optimo, Cleanahat.com, Northwest Hats, etc.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

You wouldn't go that long Marty. Give me a call.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That is a bummer. I hate to see these little shops close.

I have a buddy that's a cobbler in Cleveland. I asked him a while back how business was going. He said he's busier than ever because all the 'old timers' are retiring/closing and there's fewer and fewer guys out there offering the service.

Having said that, as jlee562 said, there are options out there. Heck, make sure South Street Hats isn't closed. Hate to lose another place 'local' to you.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Having John clean and reblock one of your hats is a pretty quick and painless thing.

I had one of mine done last year. He sent and e-mail telling me to ship the hat, I shipped it and a few weeks later he sent me an e-mail telling me it was on its way back. A few days after that it was back, better than new.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I'm running a lot faster turn around time lately. Even my wait list on new hats aren't as long. 3 months right now. Have been working real hard this past year to drop the turn around time down a great deal.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

My mom and family grew up on Laveer Street in South Philly. Just down the road from Wild Bill Guarnere.
The Librarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by The Librarian »

Thanks for the call, John. I'll be emotionally ready to part with my hat in a week or so. Actually just waiting for Spring to actually stick around for more than a couple of days. Was in the low 80's one day last week. Now back to low 60s and overcast. My poor head has hardly gone bare since I got my hat. The exposure may be too much. ;)
In the mean time, here's another blast from the past. On the former Lits Brothers building at 8th and Market in Philadelphia, PA.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk17 ... G_2987.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Was there several times as a boy with my mom and grandmom. For a small town boy to exit the train in the store and enter a vast canyon of glamorous merchandise it was a sensory shock. :shock:
And a bit anti-climatic when all I got was a couple of pairs of corduroy pants. :(

Marty

P.S. I called South Street Hats and the number is not in service. You feel that? Like a chill. Right up my spine.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

NEVER trust Yelp. Yelp is a shady business with shady practices. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

ChrisMD wrote:My mom and family grew up on Laveer Street in South Philly. Just down the road from Wild Bill Guarnere.
Not to derail the thread, but you mean Gonorrhea? ;) That's pretty cool, though. Every time I've seen that man speak of his war experiences, I'm always shocked by his humility good spirit.

Man, all of this great feedback I keep hearing about Penman...probably going to be my first fedora purchase. Can't wait!
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

IndyOriginal wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:My mom and family grew up on Laveer Street in South Philly. Just down the road from Wild Bill Guarnere.
Not to derail the thread, but you mean Gonorrhea? ;) That's pretty cool, though. Every time I've seen that man speak of his war experiences, I'm always shocked by his humility good spirit.

Man, all of this great feedback I keep hearing about Penman...probably going to be my first fedora purchase. Can't wait!
Bill is a great guy, i had the privilege of meeting him last year.
The Librarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by The Librarian »

Strider, I've gotten multiple confirmation. South Street Hats has been out of business for a while.

As for Vineland Hats, I found the obituary for Peter Perefege, Jr. who ran it. Turns out he took it over from his father. :cry:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thedai ... bLoggedOut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Another reason I don't thing we'll see quality hats coming back. Expensive to buy and not enough places to get them cleaned and repaired.
On the bright side, I always wanted to be in an exclusive group. :CR:

Marty
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

The Librarian wrote:The only nearby hat cleaner closed up a few months ago. Last November, I called to see if they were still in business. The owner's brother answered the phone and said that the owner was in the hospital, and that it didn't look good. Let me say that the owner was ancient and that was why I called before going up.

Marty
I was just wondering if it was worth your while talking to the estate and seeing if there was any of the equipment in there that might be useful to you or any of our hat makers. He had to have some sort of block, or even an adjustable block?
The Librarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by The Librarian »

Kt Templar wrote:
I was just wondering if it was worth your while talking to the estate and seeing if there was any of the equipment in there that might be useful to you or any of our hat makers. He had to have some sort of block, or even an adjustable block?
No real place to put the equipment or cash to buy it. :(
On a related note, I've managed to part with my Penman Train hat long enough to box it and take it to the post office to send to John for an overdue cleaning. John, those scratches along the side of the box wasn't caused by postal employees mishandling it. They're where I had my nails dug in as the postal clerk took the box from me.

Marty

P.S. Is it done yet? My head's getting cold :anxious:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

If they are in fact selling tools, blocks, etc, etc. I would be interested.
The Librarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by The Librarian »

I called the Realtor listed on the sign in the window and left a message. I'll let you know what I find out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2