alteration (shortening/pockets moving)-redye?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Alathea_Squared
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

alteration (shortening/pockets moving)-redye?

Post by Alathea_Squared »

I have a distressed cow Raiders that I need shortened, as I am 2nd owner. I know a really great leather worker in IL (Great Leathers, Dena Hamilton) that is looking at shortening it for me, but she brought up possibly having to re-dye it. Is the distressed cow made with distressed hide all the way through (body, pockets, etc)? I could leave it 3 inches too long as it is now and just move the straps and pockets, if cost gets away from me, but the possibility of redyeing has me being cautious.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: alteration (shortening/pockets moving)-redye?

Post by Michaelson »

I'm trying to wrap my brain around this one. :-k

If she's shortening it, why would it need redyed?

She would be either removing excess leather or turning it under to an area not visible, rather than exposing new leather or non-oxidized leather as occurs when something is being lengthened, like sleeve cuffs or overall jacket length.

Even relocating the straps that may expose non-distressed or non-oxidized leather is an easy touch up....ESPECIALLY when it's distressed leather.

What, exactly, is the issue here? I'm not understanding her question myself.

Bear in mind, 'distressed' leather is leather that has had its surface either 'fractured' or removed to expose the undercoat. Dying or re-dying will probably completely change the color of the jacket as it will penetrate deeper into the hide, as well as MAY cause it to take on a cloudy appearance depending on how deep into the hide the dye goes. Not a pretty proposition with a distressed leather jacket. Just a thought.....

Regards! Michaelson
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Moving the pockets would (assuming they are just stitched onto the main body) expose the leather that used to be covered by the pocket.

But that brings up a bigger issue since on some jackets (Nowak and Kelso for example) the handwarmer pocket is cut through the jacket and is a separate fabric pocket inside the lining. I have no idea how you could "move" the pockets in such an instance.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Also the fact that, unlike cloth, leather holes do not 'heal' or close up, so if pockets etc. are moved, the old holes will remain.

Regards! M
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:
But that brings up a bigger issue since on some jackets (Nowak and Kelso for example) the handwarmer pocket is cut through the jacket and is a separate fabric pocket inside the lining.
You can add Todd's and Wested to that list.
The only jacket's I've ever encountered that did not have cut-in hand warmers was a USWings.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The G&B I just got is built like the USW with the pocket on the "outside" of the jacket shell.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

This sounds a little out there to me. I would sell the jacket and save up for a custom Wested.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:This sounds a little out there to me. I would sell the jacket and save up for a custom Wested.
Agreed.