Trying to ID a hat. Django Unchained

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Trying to ID a hat. Django Unchained

Post by Aragorn658 »

Hey guys Ive been really trying to track down the hat worn my chris waltz (dr. king schlutz) in django unchained.

Here are some pics, but the only thing I can think of is simply a taller custom bowler hat or something similar to a bowler.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/still/ ... ined08.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.indiewire.com/static/dims4/I ... -waltz.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-the closest thing ive found
http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store ... k=18188729" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-this isnt indy releated sorry but i loved this film and this character for sure. thanks again boys
david_h
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Trying to ID a hat. Django Unchained

Post by david_h »

Clearwater Hats have a tall bowler that looks something like that hat...

http://www.clearwaterhats.com/Victorian/victorian1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

haha wow cool site, yeah i'm wondering where they got this hat its....unique
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

It's a fedora or western hat made to look like a bowler.
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

your the man john, NOW i see it. Your too good man. Then I'll just go with that grey bowler I found, I have a feeling that a custom hat job to get a fedora or western hat to convert to a bowler would be expensive and pricey
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Aragorn658 wrote:your the man john, NOW i see it. Your too good man. Then I'll just go with that grey bowler I found, I have a feeling that a custom hat job to get a fedora or western hat to convert to a bowler would be expensive and pricey

Not at all. It should be anymore then any other western or fedora. In the movie the hat is pounced, shackled, and the bound edge is put on like a western hat or fedora not a true bowler. It should be the same price as one. I'm willing to bet that the person who made the hat for the movie mostly makes western hats. Just a guess.
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

well maybe I should get a grey stetson and shop it around. I love fedoras but it doesn't fit my face shape as well as a bowler. So in a odd way this is the best of both worlds. Thanks again John, so when are you gunna bust into the movie biz? You have the style and quality product for sure.

Id try this fedora, I think it would work. I like the size of the brim.
http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/product/ ... gster.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

the link doesn't work.
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

oh well maybe this will work. Its from a website called hats In The Belfry, in the fedora section theres a fedora called The Belfry Gangster...its all wool but I have no idea how this fedora/bowler would look on me.

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/category ... -hats.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Does the link work for you or anyone else because I can't get to that page or their web site. I would stay away from wool.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

This is the "Belfry" hat referenced.

They claim a 2 3/8" brim, but it doesn't look that to me.

It's wool felt, which says pretty much all you need to know.

The fact it has no liner says the rest.

It's an inexpensive hat that won't take re-shaping or getting wet very well.

Pretty much on par with this one.

Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

oh wow thanks for the help sir. Yeah I thought that fedora might be a stretch, so maybe now i'm thinking of getting a akubra fed instead.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

According to their website, Baron's is claiming credit for hats in Django.

It definitely does not have a traditional Bowler block, as John has noted. It's not completely unlike some of the western hats at Knudsen:
http://knudsenhats.com/Hatdept/DocDurantl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The brim on this one is wider, but the crown shape is very close:
http://knudsenhats.com/Hatdept/billybonnie.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

Ive had a hard time trying to find taller bowlers in grey. Im probably going to be stuck in because I know I like the way I look in a bowler now and if I get a custom hat like converting a fedora to a bowler i'm not sure if I can pull it off even though it does spark my interest. Hasn't that hat company posted false claims before? I'm not saying its the case now but i thought I heard them say something a long time ago that was a stretch.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Baron's has a sordid history with regards to the Indy franchise, and they have some weasly language on their website which could very easily give someone the wrong impression.

E.G.
http://baronhats.com/Dillinger.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We at Baron's are proud to have had a long association with Depp. He is one actor who knows the true value of a great hat! And we are honored to have been a part of his seductive recreation of John Dillinger. Among his famous headgear we are delighted to have hand crafted for him the straw boater he wears when he is gunned down in front of the Biograph Theater. In fact we now have that very boater in our Hollywood Hat Museum at our World Headquarters in Burbank, California.

And, you can order that other hat, a straw boater, which we call the "Biograph" to be custom made for you by Baron's by clicking here.

In honor of Depp's work, and especially our association with this wonderful film, we are offering another of his famous hats which we are calling "The Dillinger". It is inspired by the classic period 1930's style Fedora he wears in "Public Enemies". With its Chicago snap brim, and center dent high-pinched crown, "wrapped up" with an extra wide grosgrain hatband with Uptown Bow finishing, the "Dillinger" truly epitomizes the dashing panache of our Depression driven heroes of the dark!

The "Dillinger" can be ordered in either 100% Dress Weight Fur Felt, or the original production exclusive 200XXX 100% Beaver. Both come with an engraved leather sweatband, silk-satin lining, our special Lifetime Guarantee, and a Signed and Numbered personalized Certificate of Authenticity. You custom hat is also shipped to you in our Baron Hatbox, suitable for storage.
They don't say that they made the felt hat, but they say "production exclusive" and offer it as a "classic reproduction." Well, Optimo made the felt hat, and Baron's dimensions are all wrong. If you weren't reading very carefully, one might conclude that they did make the felt hat.

In spite of such things, Barons does have a legitimate connection to the film industry, and I have no reason or evidence to doubt the claims that they made hats in Django. Which hats they made is a whole different ballgame.

I don't think you'll find a modern, production made tall crowned Bowler. It's just not a style of hat that would be profitable methinks.
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

Quite correct sir, Thats why I think I might end up with the grey bowler from gentlemans emporium, just out of something quick and easy
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I have a brown one and a black one from Gentlemens Emporium and love them. Tall crown and nice lining. They are wool and produced by Scala I think but they are perfect for wearing from time to time.
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

Yeah for as much as I would really love to have SA hat like Dr. King, it can wait. I think I'll give them a shot at hats. But again thanks again guys you nailed it!
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Here is the brown tall crown from GentlemensEmporium..
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 3040-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

The derby was the most popular hat in the wild west during the latter part of the 19th Century. As for D'Jango's hat, his entire costume, was modeled on Little Joe's from Bonanza. I suspect Golden Gate hats might carry both the derby and D'Jango's.
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

Well by far dr. king was my favorite character, I loved his entire costume. But its hard to find a grey bowler with a black band. ps gorak sweet pic man love the outfit. i just think its interesting what john said about converting a fedora to a bowler lol
Indiana Greg
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Greg »

I have seen many a Stetson St. Regis Homburg that would seem a fairly good match.
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

Wow thats a beauty! Are stetson's any good? I heard the colors run in the rain i think
david_h
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by david_h »

A - a lot of vintage Stetsons (like the St Regis) are among the best hats ever made.

Stetson hasn't made hats for years (the ones with the Stetson name sold these days are made in Texas by Hatco). It is these modern "Stetsons" that have the poor reputation.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Indeed, a vintage Stetson is a thing of beauty. Some of the finest hats I own are vintage Stetsons.
Indiana Greg
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Greg »

Finest kind hats, no doubt.
And unless your head is gianormous, a vintage homburg in great shape can be had for less than $100 on eBay. They seem to not get TOO expensive as most people feel they cannot "pull off" the style (myself included).

Go lookin' for a vintage St. Regis. I'd bet you would be happy. Or drop by The Fedora Lounge, one of those guys is often one or two Homburgs too heavy. :-({|=

Dobbs, Lee, Marathon, Champ, Borsalino- everyone made one & the quality will be so superior to most of what you can get made today, IMO.
Good luck.
parttime
Vendor

Post by parttime »

Try this link. I don't personally have one of their hats but I hear good things about them.
http://www.jhhatco.com/jh.nsf/product2!open&model=DERB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will most likely not find a wide enough brim looking through non-western mens dress hats.
Last edited by parttime on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Indiana Greg wrote:Finest kind hats, no doubt.
And unless your head is gianormous, a vintage homburg in great shape can be had for less than $100 on eBay. They seem to not get TOO expensive as most people feel they cannot "pull off" the style (myself included).

Go lookin' for a vintage St. Regis. I'd bet you would be happy. Or drop by The Fedora Lounge, one of those guys is often one or two Homburgs too heavy. :-({|=

Dobbs, Lee, Marathon, Champ, Borsalino- everyone made one & the quality will be so superior to most of what you can get made today, IMO.
Good luck.
This is excellent advice. I picked up a pristine Cavanagh Homburg on eBay for about $60

Indiana Greg
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Greg »

jlee562 wrote:

Good luck.
This is excellent advice. I picked up a pristine Cavanagh Homburg on eBay for about $60

Never been NONE better than a Cav. 'cept maybe a Borso'.

I am amazed at how very, very right that looks in a tropical & muy casual setting.
A million miles divorced from its original function/milieu & socio-economic-geographic roots & yet you've made it so totally your very own.
Goes together like Gin & tonic. Well done!
Ya' make it look EZ, mate!
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Gorak wrote:Here is the brown tall crown from GentlemensEmporium..
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 3040-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I like you in this look! Great departure from your 'Indy-vibe.' We share many similar thought patterns! I love the leather/fedoras, etc. that comes from the 30's, 40's era and beyond, but I do really love venturing into the 1900's with a bit of modern adaptations, along with. I have to tell you, this is a funny world we live in. Meaning. Here in Kansas -- this is hard to pull off, unless 'you,' as an individual, just say 'to heck with it -- this is me, take it or leave it.' In other locales (I will use San Antonio, Texas, or New York City, or New Orleans, or even, Kansas City, to an extent...) people have a different reaction and just say; "Hey! I like that! For what it is worth, you might want to check out this site (out of Denver, CO). Good stuff! http://denverbespoke.com/?cat=23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Sorry (MOD's), I am not trying to derail this thread, but seems to fit in. W>
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

wow man thanks to this denver site i think i found a close enough coat to the one dr. king wears! I enjoyed his because it took that sherlock old style and twisted it a bit to look not as frumpy
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Aragorn658 wrote:wow man thanks to this denver site i think i found a close enough coat to the one dr. king wears! I enjoyed his because it took that sherlock old style and twisted it a bit to look not as frumpy
Your welcome my friend. I just ran across this one quite by accident and was most impressed with their work! Kind of a 'Colorado-Magnoli ;) ,' if you will! Not as diversified as Magnoli's items, but unique to say the least! W>
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

I really appreciate all the help guys. I'm honestly not kidding when I say that I really love the dr. king character as much as indy. You guys are the BEST!!!
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Wconly- Thank you so much for the comment. My wife "puts up" with my Indy style hats and wide brimmed fedoras but she loves me in bowlers. I feel somewhat uncomfortable in them as I feel that I have a wide round face and that the bulbous crown seems to accent that. But over all, while people like my Indy hats, I get more local compliments about the hat looking good "on me" so I guess that is trying to tell me something, huh. ;)
And lately I have just had this big draw towards Western type hats of the 1800`s style. I recently bought a Stetson Austral but am having a hard time getting use to it. And more and more I find myself punching up "bowlers, derby`s, and hombergs" on my internet searches. I am pretty much satisfied with my Indy hat search and feel as if I have "graduated" and can start looking into other styles.
And, yeah, I love the older style attire...nothing can beat a cool well fitted Frock Coat for formal or casual wear. I have a big selection of clothing from Gentlemens Emporium and wear if often. I am arcing that 40 age bracket and dont worry about what other will say or think. I have actually recieved more "mocking" comments from my Indy gear than from my Frocks and bowlers. People really seem to like the look and carries alot of a Tim Burtonesque type appeal.
I appreciate hearing the comments from a group whose opinion I really trust when it come to wearing gear that is out of the norm! :D
:TOH:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Like I said buddy, it's a funny world. The more cosmopolitan the area/arena -- the more diverse are the people and it all passes in good tidings and good will. The more sequestered the community atmosphere -- the same can be said about the attitudes that evolve. I would rather receive a negative comment for either an 'Indish, or Sherlockian' type of look, then look like half the yo yo's running around with pants half way down their 'behind's and their uderwear up to their chest. At least I know I am fully and properly dressed -- even if it is not the 'norm' for the community I am in. I would be bored to tears if I tried to look like the average 'Joe' -- whatever, that (average) really means! A few years back one of the 'more upitity-types' at our Parish made some comments regarding one of my inverness capes and bluntly stated: "He just wants to stand out and get noticed!" Our parish priest was standing right behind him and apparantly said something to the effect that; "He (meaning me), is just being William, nothing more, nothing less. I find it refreshing that a person can be so truly normal as to be comfortable enough to be himself instead of a clone of all those around him!" I wear what I am comfortable with and if someone doesn't like it -- it is on them. I certainly don't go after those whom I think look rather dumb, 'cloned' or whatever. If they are happy, then that's great. I too, just want to be happy with and for me. The only time anyone in my family got upset with my appearance is one year when I took the kids (they were still in high school, at the time) to a Kansas City Chiefs game. I thought it would be fun to wear buckskins and a coonskin cap! Hey, what to heck! I even got picked up on national tv. I haven't repeated that one, in some time, but it sure was fun! W>
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

if you ask me there's just too many baseball hats out there and as someone said pants being worn beneath butt line. I have a frock coat and a beautiful black hat shaped by Tom Hirt who makes hats for Westerns. And when I wear them I get compliments. Especially in Santa Fe...
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Kim Hoffman wrote:if you ask me there's just too many baseball hats out there and as someone said pants being worn beneath butt line. I have a frock coat and a beautiful black hat shaped by Tom Hirt who makes hats for Westerns. And when I wear them I get compliments. Especially in Santa Fe...
Now your talkin' :TOH: ! W>
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

That hat looks similar to what Charlie Utter wore in the fantastic show Deadwood.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Indiana Greg wrote:
jlee562 wrote:

Good luck.

Never been NONE better than a Cav. 'cept maybe a Borso'.

I am amazed at how very, very right that looks in a tropical & muy casual setting.
A million miles divorced from its original function/milieu & socio-economic-geographic roots & yet you've made it so totally your very own.
Goes together like Gin & tonic. Well done!
Ya' make it look EZ, mate!
Thanks very much for the kind words. Cavanagh made some fine hats. I've really enjoyed dressing this one down a bit and bringing into a more casual look.
Indiana Greg
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Greg »

Gorak wrote:Wconly- Thank you so much for the comment. My wife "puts up" with my Indy style hats and wide brimmed fedoras but she loves me in bowlers. I feel somewhat uncomfortable in them as I feel that I have a wide round face and that the bulbous crown seems to accent that. But over all, while people like my Indy hats, I get more local compliments about the hat looking good "on me" so I guess that is trying to tell me something, huh. ;)
And lately I have just had this big draw towards Western type hats of the 1800`s style. I recently bought a Stetson Austral but am having a hard time getting use to it. And more and more I find myself punching up "bowlers, derby`s, and hombergs" on my internet searches. I am pretty much satisfied with my Indy hat search and feel as if I have "graduated" and can start looking into other styles.
And, yeah, I love the older style attire...nothing can beat a cool well fitted Frock Coat for formal or casual wear. I have a big selection of clothing from Gentlemens Emporium and wear if often. I am arcing that 40 age bracket and dont worry about what other will say or think. I have actually recieved more "mocking" comments from my Indy gear than from my Frocks and bowlers. People really seem to like the look and carries alot of a Tim Burtonesque type appeal.
I appreciate hearing the comments from a group whose opinion I really trust when it come to wearing gear that is out of the norm! :D
:TOH:

The "Austral" is a great design. Image
The classic of classics (Boss of the Plains). I just thought the bison fur was a bit kitch... and closer to wool than fur.

In my fever to get a BOTP type hat in the wake of the True Grit remake Image I snagged these -------->

A Canadian Stetson made for The "National Troopers"

An official "Death Vally 49ers BOTP" ---------->Image

And I recently got an ancient Caxton Image
added this: Image
Flattened the brim & it's "a bingo", dead ringer for a BOTP.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Knudsen hats has, what they claim, are the original styled Boss of The Plains blocks.
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

I just took it as some kind of Homburg, with an open crown...
This one's from Hats direct..

Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Here`s me trying to work the Austral......I think I just need to get use to it cuz it feels really weird.....
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 3180aa.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... dfef48.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 27c4cf.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... e62aa1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... ad9985.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here is a high-crown bowler I found at Paris Hatters in San Antonio...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 7ca0c2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Its wool and made by Stacey Adams but along their wall of bowlers it was the only one with a tall crown and a nice brown.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Just a heads up, I had locked this one due to it being Non-Indy related but we're gonna let it run. Trying to let our hair down a bit ;)

-The Dude