M1 Garand

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

M1 Garand

Post by Mark Raats »

Although not strictly an Indiana Jones movie weapon, I'm convinced that Jones would have used an M1 Garand sometime during his adventures given that its the correct vintage and also because it was arguably the best weapon in its class - used until after the Korean war (Clint Eastwood - Gran Torino) .

Regrettably there is not much that can be done (without incurring unwanted expense) to change the fact that this is a Denix model so I opted to rather create a version that was more in keeping with a 1942/43 model but still preserving some of the Denix tells - for example the absence of serial numbers, the badly resolved breach-barrel, the safety, oddly placed screws, the eject etc.

I reworked all of the metal removing the horrible 'soft' edges Denix is to renowned for, I then reblued the metal keeping a slightly worn finish. I drilled out the front sight and then took a chain to the stock and hammered dents in the wood work after which I dropped black paint into the dents before staining, ageing and varnishing the wood. The buttplate was scoured of paint and also dented and chipped and I added authentic cartouch stamps to the side of the stock (matching a June 1942-October 1943 Garand). An authentic leather sling was added as a finishing touch..

Regards

MARK
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: M1 Garand

Post by ShanghaiJack »

You did a great job refinishing that rifle. I'd have thought it was the real deal if you hadn't said anything. I really like the blueing it looks very authentic. Well done! :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Beautiful rifle, but I think it would have been just too dang heavy for anything Indy was involved with. They're a ton of gun. Sweet shooters, but an armload to carry.

Regards! Michaelson
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Michaelson wrote:Beautiful rifle, but I think it would have been just too dang heavy for anything Indy was involved with. They're a ton of gun. Sweet shooters, but an armload to carry.

Regards! Michaelson
Thanks fellas..

Actually, I was thinking that is would have been something he used sometime not necessarily something he carried for the very reasons you mention Michaelson mate.

They are heavy but not more than the weapons we carried for years. Thankfully though INDY is a real man and I like to think he wouldn't have moaned as bitterly as we pathetic weaklings did….! :D

Warmest regards
MARK
M1917
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by M1917 »

That's why God invented slings boys! Patton considered the Garand "the finest battle implement ever devised." I think Indy would've agreed with him.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

No, that's why professionals in the field of hunting and 'archaeology' hired gun carriers and graduate students. ;)

We keep forgetting, he was supposedly a scientist and field archaeologist first, not a mercenery. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I have to admit I am a proud owner of an M1 garand. I bought mine about 8 years ago - I think I should take a pic - it's WWII vintage. You're right it lets you know that you're holding it - one solid piece of work.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Very nice. I got my own from the CMP with a June 1944 serial number. Given the climate, I'm quite grateful for its 8 rd magazine.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

When I was more active in the gun collecting world, I had a chance to pick one up from a friend.

Problem I had was I could NOT get a clean patch through that barrel, no matter how many I ran through.....nothing but green, telling me there had been literally THOUSANDS of copper clad full metal jacket bullets shot out of that rifle. For the price he was asking, adding the cost of rebarrelling just wasnt feasible (and he wasn't budging on the price), so I passed on the gun. =;

Oddly enough,to this day I still don't regret passing on that purchase. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

I remember years ago they were giving these things away, I remember you buy one for $25.00 from the government plus shipping. Now they're expensive as #### !!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, that's true....and you could get grades clear up to un-issued for around $100! :shock:

Regards! M
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Yep, this was what 20-25 years ago.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep. When I was a gun dealer back in the late 70s/early 80's, the dealer price was $70 for NOS still packed in cosmoline.

Those were the days.....

Regards! Michaelson
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

Does the Denix have the authentic "crush your thumb" feature unless you load the clip following the correct procedure?

If you have an M1, you WILL earn the Purple Thumb award at some point. :shock:
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

hocfutue wrote:Does the Denix have the authentic "crush your thumb" feature unless you load the clip following the correct procedure?

If you have an M1, you WILL earn the Purple Thumb award at some point. :shock:
LOL, no the return spring is far too weak so your thumb is perfectly safe and there is no need to worry about keeping the breach open with your right hand while loading the rounds. Actually, if the truth be known, you can't even load rounds unless you do some serious modifications to the chamber and the barrel - something I will be doing in the near future..

Best

MARK
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Whatever Mods you do keep us posted. Beautiful rifle.

:TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

KramStaar wrote:LOL, no the return spring is far too weak so your thumb is perfectly safe and there is no need to worry about keeping the breach open with your right hand while loading the rounds.
Really? Never seen a Garand like that before. Everyone I've handled had a spring strong enough to remove any appendage unfortunate enough to be within it's vicinity! :-k

One of the tricks shown to me by a WW2 Army vet was to hold the slide open with the side of your hand when loading so no fingers were in harms way.
Worked too!

Regards! Michaelson
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

Yup, the "karate chop" move is the key. Do it by the book and you'll keep your thumb out of harm's way. If not, CRUNCH and [Profanity filter removed 27 blacklisted terms.]
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

hocfutue wrote: [Profanity filter removed 27 blacklisted terms.]
Good, it's working :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:
Rook
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rook »

Was there any special techniques you used to remove the original Denix paint? Steel wool?
Sandpaper? Chemical stripper?

Great work, it looks really nice!
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Michaelson wrote:Really? Never seen a Garand like that before. Everyone I've handled had a spring strong enough to remove any appendage unfortunate enough to be within it's vicinity! :-k

One of the tricks shown to me by a WW2 Army vet was to hold the slide open with the side of your hand when loading so no fingers were in harms way.
Worked too!

Regards! Michaelson
Fortunately because this isn't a real firearm it doesn't pose the same problems. With the real Garand I was always grateful that I - by nature - loaded the rounds with my left hand - leaving me free to use the side of my right hand to keep the slide open as you described. It certainly saved me from experiencing 'Garand Thumb' thank heavens...
Rook wrote:Was there any special techniques you used to remove the original Denix paint? Steel wool?
Sandpaper? Chemical stripper?

Great work, it looks really nice!
Cheers Rook. I used a fine grade paper to first remove most of the original paint and then worked all the edges over with very fine files to resurrect the sharpness that was missing. I then carefully worked over the metal again with the fine-grade paper to remove the marks from the files. I didn't remove ALL the paint (but most of it) because when I re-blued the metal the old finish showed through were I wanted it to - which added the very subtle weathering effect I was after. I also applied the blue sparingly in places where I wanted more steel to shine through so that there is a variation in the finish. Ideally the finish should be parkerised but because this is supposed to be an antique, I felt the worn blue was perfectly appropriate…

Kind regards
MARK
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Fine piece of American craftsmanship you have there. (Ok FINE ill admit John C Garand was canadian born). I have a 1945 Springfield Armory M1 Garand that ive had for years. I picked up another 270 rounds tonight. I plan to shoot it in my Indygear in a few weeks so ill post a link!

Beautiful rifle OP.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Actually, that is NOT true, it is an Indy gun. As a fellow member pointed out on this club there where M1 Garands in Young Indiana Jones: Treasure of the peacocks eye. The problem was as the member pointed out was that it was 1918 and M1 Garands where not invented until 1920ish. And they kept on cocking it.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

baddates1 wrote:Actually, that is NOT true, it is an Indy gun. As a fellow member pointed out on this club there where M1 Garands in Young Indiana Jones: Treasure of the peacocks eye. The problem was as the member pointed out was that it was 1918 and M1 Garands where not invented until 1920ish. And they kept on cocking it.

Designed in 1928, issued/produced (numbers varying) 1936-1957. Not widely adopted until 1942ish.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I love the fact that I have an original M1 myself. They are great.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

nicktheguy wrote:I love the fact that I have an original M1 myself. They are great.

You and me both. Now go get some HXP ammo from the CMP. $89 for an ammo can of non corrosive surplus. I shoot mine as much as I can. As much as I can afford that is....haha
IndianaRedmon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaRedmon »

Garands are a lot of fun to shoot. Enjoy. :TOH: