USW Aged steerhide Legend due out soon

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

USW Aged steerhide Legend due out soon

Post by Michaelson »

Just got this email from David Hack:
I will come out with a new Aged Steer Hide Indy Jacket in four weeks!! I want to keep the price at $ 195.00 for Regs. And $ 239.00 for Longs. They will be made by us outside the USA... Can’t do it here in our Union Factory for that price. FYI… Leather next year is going Sky High.
In a followup email, it's supposed to be in the Legend pattern (possibly the 30th anniversery version).

So, stay tuned. This one's in the pipeline, delivery date expected 4 weeks from today.

If you have any questions, contact David Hack at USW. That's all I've got.
:TOH:
Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: USW Aged cowhide Legend due out soon

Post by Indiana Jeff »

On first reading I thought it was "new-age" leather. I was going to break out the Age of Aquarius!

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

When did you last have your eyes examined, Jeff? :-k

:lol:

Regards! M
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Man, would I like to see what this looks like? Any photos of the hide or jacket, yet?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Michaelson wrote:If you have any questions, contact David Hack at USW. That's all I've got.
:TOH:
Regards! Michaelson

;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, something about that seems vaguely familiar, now that you mention it.... :-k

:Plymouth:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

:WLWOP:

:CR:
:rolling:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Tundrarider wrote:Sorry, Mark. You have to understand...Scott really needs an Indiana Jones jacket, so he missed that part of your post, due to his excitement.

:P

Michael :TOH:

...Tundy, I'm in need a good Indy jacket something fierce! Do you know where I can get one..? :[
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Well shoot. I should've waited before I bought my "Legend". :roll:
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I have a feeling I'm going to see this and really really like it and thus want to buy it. My first Indy jacket was cowhide. Ahh memories.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Michaelson wrote:When did you last have your eyes examined, Jeff? :-k

:lol:

Regards! M

Hmm, now that you mention it...

Regards

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Bogie1943 wrote:I have a feeling I'm going to see this and really really like it and thus want to buy it. My first Indy jacket was cowhide. Ahh memories.
you almost can't get a USW without buying a cowhide, ala the Cooper made jackets in the early '90's.
Last edited by Texan Scott on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

The striated lamb offered a few years ago was definitely a low run but at least he offered what was requested. It's still one of my favorite jackets.

Truth be told they have offered the widest variety of leather types than almost any other vendor. Sure they use a lot of cowhide but they've also offered almost every other type imaginable.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

I don't think I've ever seen a cowhide USW that was NOT aged/distressed! :lol:
I wonder how this will differ from their other cowhides.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

kwad wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a cowhide USW that was NOT aged/distressed! :lol:
I wonder how this will differ from their other cowhides.
I thought the same thing before I received my USW cowhide jacket :TOH:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58596&p=816313#p816313" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I wonder if this leather is going to be thinner than the CE? :-k

This first batch of the antiqued distresssed cowhide that went into Legends, 2011, first issue was great stuff and thin.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I'm glad to see that Wings continues to offer Indy jackets in new leathers. Haven't seen nor heard of this one until now, so I wonder how it will differ from past offerings. All the Legend Cowhides have been "aged" leather, but each has been different in it's own way.

Weston
Obi Sean Kenobi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Obi Sean Kenobi »

Michaelson-

Any sense how rigid that four week timeframe is?

I was about to buy one of the $195 steer hides from USW as a Christmas gift for a good friend.

Do you think there's any possibility of a Holiday delivery for the aged cow?

Regards,
Sean
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Contact David Hack with any and ALLLLLLLLLLL questions, as I said in the first post. I gave you what I got. That's all I was told.

Regards! M
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Ok, I was able to get a little more info today.

The run starts on January 1st, 2013. It will be only aged cowhide leather, Legend pattern, and the run will be for 500 only in regular and longs.

So, to answer your question, no, they won't be available for a Holiday gift, so you may want to jump on the December sales jackets.

I asked if he had any idea when he thought the jackets might be on his loading dock. I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Regards! M
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

He replied, and said 4-5 weeks to actual delivery.

Regard !Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

So did Sarge say how long to actual delivery? :-k

BTW I made an appointment with my eye doctor. ;)

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

The existing import Texas Steerhide Legend is described as "hand aged"...so the new jacket is similar except that it is cowhide? Also, what is the difference between the Legend pattern and the 30th Anniversary pattern...I thought they were the same thing?
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Yea, i wanna know more about t :-k his cowhide too.....sounds interesting...h
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

ron521 wrote:The existing import Texas Steerhide Legend is described as "hand aged"...so the new jacket is similar except that it is cowhide? Also, what is the difference between the Legend pattern and the 30th Anniversary pattern...I thought they were the same thing?
As I said above, drop USW a line to ask the difference regarding leathers.

As to the question on "Legend" and "30th Anniversary" jacket..........

The 30th Anniversery jacket describes a specific, lambskin jacket in the USW inventory, and is not describing a 'pattern'.

It is made USING the Legend pattern.

Regards! Michaelson
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I must admit I am checking website daily after this thread started. If they are light enough, I am getting one and one of their bags and the leather strap. I have my gift card from my other purchase. ;)
I just don`t want to pay extra shipping so I am waiting till they are all together. Thanks Michealson for keeping us informed!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:

I'll post as soon as something /anything comes down the pipeline.

Regards! M
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, appparently a pre-order arrangement was made with folks who contacted USW regarding these jackets, and the moment the stock hit the dock floor this past Tuesday they were immediately shipped out, leaving on a few medium and small sizes left. They had to re-order.

So, did anyone here get hold of one of the pre-orders, and if so, can they enlighten us on the jacket?

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Current news....they're making these in batches of 36 at a time.

They're all hand aged, but if you want them a bit more aged, David says he'll be happy to hit the 'high spots' with the back side of a velcro strap before shipping. All you have to do is ask, no extra charge.

I have one on the way, and am interested to see what they're doing in such small batches in this hide. :-k

Regards! M
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Michaelson wrote:Current news....they're making these in batches of 36 at a time.

They're all hand aged, but if you want them a bit more aged, David says he'll be happy to hit the 'high spots' with the back side of a velcro strap before shipping. All you have to do is ask, no extra charge.

I have one on the way, and am interested to see what they're doing in such small batches in this hide. :-k

Regards! M
It will be interesting to see what you think about this one. Sarge sent some pics, but I don't think I ever saw a picture of an Indy jacket I didn't like. I think this one might have a bit more shine on it than the Legend cowhides offered so far.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That's what the photos look like to me too, andas you know, you can't tell a whole lot from photos due to the flash back from the hide surface, so I'll see tomorrow. That's when I'm supposed to receive it.

Regards! M
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

haha,just this morning I was debating about whether to inquire about these here or at Wings. I check it daily and never see anything so I don`t know how people are getting them sold out. Interested in seeing them. Thanks for the update, guys! :clap: :clap:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I was curious too, as it doesn't appear anyone here is ordering them, but they're sure disappearing as soon as they hit the USW loading dock. Then again, we're not the ONLY fans of the franchise, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised...especially with only 36 being delivered at a time. It's the same hide they're using for their new Adventurer Jacket, and that's been a HUGE seller.

It appears that 'word of mouth' has kept them selling out, so why advertise them on the website when there's no way to meet a demand if the delivery numbers are so small?

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Jacket arrived. \:D/

First impression...VERY nicely constructed Legend. I think they've finally hit their stride in making a coherent jacket in comparison to past Legends I've examined and owned in the past couple years.

The jacket is a large, and the sleeve length is actually long enough for my long arms. A VERY nice and pleasant change of events, as I've always had to go up a size in order to get a sleeve length that worked for me.

The cowhide is VERY distressed. The closest I can come up with in comparison is my TN CS cowhide jacket.....just half the physical weight than my TN.

The lining is the better lining, in comparison to the 30th anniversery lambskin, and as anyone who has read any of my reviews in the past knows, I have NEVER been a fan of the slick linings in the USW jackets. They're hot and easy to snag and I usually get them replaced shortly after I get a jacket with this lining. This lining I think I can live with, which is something for ME to say. :-k

All seams and stitching straight and true.

The zipper looks to be a middle/heavyweight type jacket zipper and zipped on and off smoothly and with no effort.

It has the big LC type collar, like the 30th anniversery lambskin, but as others have posted and I have experienced with my jacket, the collar eventually calms down and fits right in. Out of the box, though, the collar looks HUGE, but appearances are deceiving. It should be as easy to train as my other jacket, which looks great now after wear and regular use.

The side buckles are still the sharp cornered sliders, but not the HUGE versions that came out on the first Legends that literally punched holes in chairs (like MINE did on my drivers seat of my Malibu when I first wore it. :x )

I changed them out, but in making the change found they were made of pot metal, so I'd recommend changing them out for something better. They're easily broken out in comparison to the OLD sharp cornered versions one the original Legends. I thought I was going to have to hack-saw them off! :?

I had some extra G&B buckles and when installed it changed the side straps to foward pull, just like the OLD way of strap attachment. That never bothered me one way or the other.

Fortunately we still have a few cooler weather patterns to go through that I will be able to field test my new jacket before having to put all my jackets away for the season.

So, first blush? I'm pleased with my acquisition, and can only see it getting softer with wear and use, and COULD replace my reworked 30th anniversery USW lambskin as my 'grab and go' jacket in the future if it breaks in like I THINK it will.

Time will tell.

Regards! Michaelson
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Sir,you had my curiousity.....now you have my attention!

I want one!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:

Well, if what I hear is true, don't wait until you see an advertisement on their website. I have a feeling none will ever be seen, as with only 36 at a run and selling as soon as they show up, they don't NEED to advertise this one.

Drop David Hack a line and ask him what's available.

Regards! M
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

:H:
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Michaelson wrote:Jacket arrived. \:D/

The lining is the better lining, in comparison to the 30th anniversery lambskin, and as anyone who has read any of my reviews in the past knows, I have NEVER been a fan of the slick linings in the USW jackets. They're hot and easy to snag and I usually get them replaced shortly after I get a jacket with this lining. This lining I think I can live with, which is something for ME to say. :-k
What kind of lining did they use this time?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It's still a satin type lining, but not as slick as the 30th, or even the HH prototype I own.

No where NEAR as hot as usual.

Regards! M
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

:tup:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

pics anyone?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Nope. ;)

This is the leather it's made of, though:

http://www.uswings.com/advjackets.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! M
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I'm not trying to derail the thread but this link is to a jacket I'm interested in buying. If any members here own this jacket I'd love to get your "review" of it, how it fits and feels...Just drop me a PM here on the board. Thanks! :TOH:

Michaelson wrote:Nope. ;)

This is the leather it's made of, though:

http://www.uswings.com/advjackets.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! M
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It's looks like a nice one too. Like I said, it's made from the same distressed steerhide as this Aged Legend Indy.

Regards! M :M:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Is "distressed steerhide" the same as "distressed cowhide" or is it a bit different? I really liked the cowhide on the jacket I just sold. I didn't know how much a difference there was between the two hides. :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

My opinion? It feels lighter in physical weight than their distressed cowhide. :-k

The actual description I've received was the leather was young steerhide, so I guess it has everything to do with the age of the animal regarding the weight, like lambskin vs sheepskin.

Regards! M
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I am so stoked! I've got one of these on the way, and can't wait to get it in hand!

Also, Sarge wanted me to post this...

Please post… Sarge needs His Stars on His site to send Him an e-mail… I think they may already know why!!!

I think this is barely concealed code ;) So, if you know what he's referring to, shoot him an email!

Cheers!
Indydawg
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

And, that ain't no bull!
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Yep. Steers are castrated and don't get to live that long, usually no longer than 2 years unless being fed out to a desired weight. Bulls and cows do, until they're unproductive. Bullhide is thick and will have a lot more wrinkles, scratches and tick marks. Cowhide will generally will be spongier and stretchier, with lots of marks, too. Eventually, they're all beef.

I have a Wings Legend that's supposed to be steer but feels like cow, and a Wested cow that feels like steer. Since the steers are the bulk of the slaughters, I think maybe sometimes the bovine hide names are used pretty loosely.

Then, the way they'e tanned, and whether or not the hide gets coated or drenched in acrylic, seems like it affects the weight, and then it's even harder to tell what it is....

My black cowhide Wested Hero weighs a ton, but, it's basically dyed and painted black, for all practical purposes.

My impressions. I'm no expert on the tanning. But my Dad dealt in cattle for awhile, and I learned some by accident. Mostly I was just mowing and baling hay when I could help him, as he lived over 400 miles from me. Those were my 'vacations' for awhile!

EDIT: I don't know if the steers are really most slaughters, but they and the youngish unproductive heifers deemed unnecessary for production do comprise the best beef. But the older animals would have bigger hides, I'd think.