Are home dye jobs possible?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Are home dye jobs possible?

Post by Zoltar »

Has anyone succesfully re-dyed a leather jacket?

ZOLTAR
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Are home dye jobs possible?

Post by CM »

To my knowledge they are painted, not dyed. Horsehide A2's were frequently resprayed during wartime.
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

I dyed my Wested ToD lamb jacket darker. I just diluted black leather dye with water and applied it with a sponge. It darkened the jacket considerably.

It's not a complete re-dye though just darkening it. What result are you after?
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

I've been darkning up my Shrunken Lamb Wested using furniture restoration dye, initialy with dark brown and then with a black/brown mix to take it darker. The results are pretty good and the product I used did a good job on the initial dryness of the SL. Ideally I want to take it darker still so will continue to experiment!
Just curious what methods and products are out there and other members experiances good or bad :-k

ZOLTAR :TOH:
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Zoltar and Kredepops, I'm curious about your results. Are you making the jacket darker uniformly over all of the jacket, or are you just darkening it up in spots?
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

I've dyed lots of leather using Tandy's leather dye (mostly belts and armor from my days in the SCA...google sca armor fighting and horse tack).

I've never tried a jacket however, but it should work just fine.
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

ShanghaiJack wrote:Zoltar and Kredepops, I'm curious about your results. Are you making the jacket darker uniformly over all of the jacket, or are you just darkening it up in spots?
Darker all over, but I wanted a really distressed look so I didn't go for a completely uniform color. I think you need to soak the jacket in dye if you want a uniform color change rather than applying it with a sponge like I did. My result was a nice patina.

This is my darkened jacket. Originally it was 'Authentic brown' but I didn't care for the colour which was more an yellowish-grey-brown. I wanted a darker more reddish brown.
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Kreepops, that jacket looks great! Is that a Todds or a Wested? And has anyone told you that you bear an uncanny resemblance to Harrison Ford albeit in a slightly plasticy way? :lol:
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

ShanghaiJack wrote: And has anyone told you that you bear an uncanny resemblance to Harrison Ford albeit in a slightly plasticy way?
:lol: Yeah I get that alot.

Thank you, it's a Wested. I plan to distress this jacket further, that jacket is so beat up in the movie. it's a trainwreck!. There's a fine line between distressing it and destroying it, I hope I don't rip it apart.
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Kredepops wrote:There's a fine line between distressing it and destroying it, I hope I don't rip it apart.
Truer words were never spoken! The zipper on your jacket has me curious. Is it a Hero, if not what year is it? It's looking great, and I bet it'll look even better after more distressing, if you don't shred it that is. :Dietrich:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

That looks like a NH ToD to me.

;)
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Kt Templar wrote:That looks like a NH ToD to me.

;)
Good eye. Indeed it is. It has got that big clunky zipper.

I got it June 11, 2010. I remember it clearly because I found the package from Wested was lodged in between the handle and the frontdoor, when my wife and I got home from the hospital with our newborn son. We had been away for three days, and the postal worker obviously didn't bother to bring it back to the office, so he just dropped it off like that. I'm just happy nobody stole it.