Todd's new boots

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

The0w3n5
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Todd's new boots SHIPPING NOW!!!! !!NEW OFFICIAL PICS!!

Post by The0w3n5 »

Yeah, USPS is very good, much better than Royal Mail who can't even cope with our small island. ](*,)
irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

The0w3n5 wrote:Yeah, USPS is very good, much better than Royal Mail who can't even cope with our small island. ](*,)
True, true! Royal Mail should take a leaf from USPS' book in terms of service.
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

I'm getting excited!!! this isn't even a long wait compared to other companies like EFx collectibles. Not even close. I waited nearly two years on my Luke EPVI saber, with nearly zilch on updates. So, I would be willing to pre-order from you again Todd.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Anyone received their new boots?
The0w3n5
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by The0w3n5 »

I'm still waiting for the magical ring of the door bell. Should be this week but don't trust Royal Mail. Will post photo's when I receive them.
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

Received!!! Very pleased with the quality. They have a nice smell O:) Very nice feel to them. The size is right, ordering a 10 I received a 9 and it is the correct thing for Todd to send.

However, these are going to take a lot to break in. Now, I have been working all day in the heat and just showered, running cold water on my feet. The shoes are not very comfortable right now. They may be too narrow for my feet. The toe area is very shallow, fat toes beware!!!!

I will wear em tomorrow. Hopefully they can break in without causing damage to the shoes or my feet. I don't want to give up on them, or return them. They are the right size, unless, and I doubt seeing width options (Todd isn't a shoe company). I want to keep at the very least for my display, but I don't want to fake distress.

Overall for the shoe 9/10.
Overall for my personal comfort 7.5/10 pending further test results.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, if you're having 'pinched toe' problems, then the shoes are too short.

Podiatrists recommend at least 1/2" from the end of your toes to the toe of your shoe to allow your toes to move when your foot flexes for proper fit.

If you don't have that, the boots are too short.

http://foothealth.about.com/od/shoessoc ... hoeFit.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In particular, note bullet 7 and 8.

Regards! Michaelson
UkulelePinoy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by UkulelePinoy »

Initially, I ordered size 11, however, after seeing the note about labeled size vs actual size, instead of size 10, I changed the order to size 10.5. After factoring-in the size conversion, I decided to go a half-size larger. Most of my shoes are size 11, but I do have at least one pair of shoes that I wear regularly which are size 11.5. The boots may not be a perfect fit, but I'd rather have footwear slightly larger than slightly smaller if it came to that. After hearing the report above, that may have been a good move.

Will report further. My boots are waiting for me at home. I'm at work now and I received a delivery notice via email. :TOH:
irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

Glad to see that some of our members have received their boots. WHERE'S THE PICS, GUYS????

Now I'm a little concerned that I should have ordered another full size more than I take because I have freakishly wide feet. We shall see...!
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

I've got a width of a thumb between the toe and tip. MIchaelson, the issue is the bullet 9 in the article, no way can I move my toes up and down. The roof is just short.

I barely fit my hand inside the shoe to touch the end.

Posting pics with my skills in photography would be a waste.. The pics on the first page are exactly what you receive.
Last edited by Redinight on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

So, 'short' is STILL the 'operative' word here, right? ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

I've been examining them. It's just strange. They are exactly the same length of my Redwings that are so similar in style. I wonder, should I return them and try a size bigger?

Is it just they are a slightly different style with a little taper and I should break em in, or should I exchange?

I just don't see a size that longer helping me here.
irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

I really don't want to have to return mine all the way back across the Atlantic. It will **** majorly if I do.
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

I don't want to get everyone riled up here. I love them!!! I'm just having a individual, or isolated issue of some sort hopefully.

Ever since I've worn converse my feet don't exactly fit the mold of many shoes. When I got married finding a new pair of dress shoes was a joke. I finally said, "oh well, they are just going to be a one time use". It was a similar problem that I have with these. It might be a case of when I wore converse for so long my feet flattened and widened. Because, as much as I love my Redwing boots for everyday use it was a painful bloody problem to get them broke in. The store I bought them in is owned by a family friend and he has been in the business a very long time, I used his advise and time when I got the boots. I tried on many sizes. In the end the boot in the store felt as comfortable as a nike or sneaker of that type as far as bounce and flexibility. That's why I bought them, also minus that toe stitch they met that look we all know and love. Walking in them for a long time was a different story. I have a high pain tolerance and so they are my everyday shoe and I love em pain free now. They had the same toe issue .
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Got mine and they seem really nice. They fit well...a little more snug than my alden's, but I'm sure they'll break in nicely. Oh, and the smell is wonderful...just like the old shoe store my dad used to take to when I was a kid.
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

Vaderbreath wrote:Got mine and they seem really nice. They fit well...a little more snug than my alden's, but I'm sure they'll break in nicely. Oh, and the smell is wonderful...just like the old shoe store my dad used to take to when I was a kid.
Awesome!!!

As far a replicas the only thing that I can knock is that trim around the opening to the toe stitch. They also might get a little warm with the leather lining instead of cotton. Did you compare in hand the Alden to Todd?
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Yep, had my Aldens right next to them. It's a bit tough to compare bevause my Aldens are sooooo broken in and naturally distressed and the Todd's are so new. I'm anxious to see how the heel and sole wear because my Aldens are needing a resole. They do appear to be a massive improvement over the old model.
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

After comparing them to my other boots, Michaelson, I should have listened to. I have to return them. I had size 11 with his older boots, my Redwings are a 10. I would say order the size you ordered before from him and he'll set you up?
UkulelePinoy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by UkulelePinoy »

Well, I've tried 'em on and I love 'em. They are a perfect fit. At first, since I'd just gotten home from work and was still wearing thin dress socks, the fit was a little bit on the sloppy side, but still acceptable. I then swapped to regular white cotton socks and now the fit is indeed perfect. I'm glad I went with (what is essentially) the 11.5 instead of (what is essentially) the 11.

They are a bit on the stiff side, but nothing I'd imagine out of the ordinary for a leather boot of this sort.

I'll get pictures later (gotta jump on a late-night business call). Just wanted to get this out.

And yes, that new-leather smell is awesome!
irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

My boots have now arrived in the UK, so I should hopefully have them by the end of the week. HAPPY DAYS!!! It's getting closer!!!!
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Hey guys!
Just wanted to make sure everyone knows that we are not changing the sizes on boot orders anymore, that was just for the preorders. So now if you order a size 10 we will send a size 10 (which is actually like a US size 11). Sorry the sizing thing is confusing, but im trying to make sure everyone gets the size they want the first time! = )

Kristen~
UkulelePinoy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by UkulelePinoy »

Adding a few pics...

A couple with my Adventurebilt...

irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

Puppetboy wrote:Hey guys!
Just wanted to make sure everyone knows that we are not changing the sizes on boot orders anymore, that was just for the preorders. So now if you order a size 10 we will send a size 10 (which is actually like a US size 11). Sorry the sizing thing is confusing, but im trying to make sure everyone gets the size they want the first time! = )

Kristen~
Well Kristen, I ordered a US size 10.5 because that's the size I am when I shop in the USA. I hope I get the size I ordered because I don't want to have to send them back across the Atlantic to get them replaced.
The0w3n5
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by The0w3n5 »

irishjones wrote:My boots have now arrived in the UK, so I should hopefully have them by the end of the week. HAPPY DAYS!!! It's getting closer!!!!
How can you find out if they have arrived in the UK?!?!?! I have had no news, no tracking, nothing. ](*,)
irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

The0w3n5 wrote:
irishjones wrote:My boots have now arrived in the UK, so I should hopefully have them by the end of the week. HAPPY DAYS!!! It's getting closer!!!!
How can you find out if they have arrived in the UK?!?!?! I have had no news, no tracking, nothing. ](*,)
Well when Todd was able to send the boots out for delivery, I got an email stating that they had been shipped and I got a Track and Trace code for USPS. I have been intermittently checking it's status and today they had arrived in the country.
The0w3n5
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by The0w3n5 »

I got a tracking number too, but have had no news so far. just "Electronic shipping info received". I expect if yours arrived then so have mine, seems logical.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

irishjones wrote:
Puppetboy wrote:Hey guys!

Kristen~
Well Kristen, I ordered a US size 10.5 because that's the size I am when I shop in the USA. I hope I get the size I ordered because I don't want to have to send them back across the Atlantic to get them replaced.

If there were a preorder they were changed! = )
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

My boots have been tracked to customs in the UK.You'll get no more tracking info after that.
The0w3n5
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by The0w3n5 »

Indiana Dymond wrote:ed to customs in the UK.You'll get no more tracking info after that.
I just have had no tracking info, whatsoever, still, if two people have had their boots arrive in the UK, I'm sure mine have. Just waiting for that magic customs letter.
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

Hoping not to get a customs letter.My last order from Todd's came to me with no problems!!
irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

Puppetboy wrote:If there were a preorder they were changed! = )
[/quote][/quote]

Yes I did preorder my boots. What would they have been changed to? I don't want them to be changed. I'm slightly confused. Did you change the labelling on my US size 10.5 to say a UK 9.5 or did you send me a completely different size altogether to what I preordered. Why do I see me returning them for the size I ordered in the first place.

But please don't think I'm being ungrateful, it's just that I have very strange feet and I know that the boots I preordered a few months ago will definitely fit me. If they're smaller, there ain't no way my feet are fitting inside them. If they're slightly bigger, well I can live with that. I'm just afraid of them being too small.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I got mine today- I preordered 8.5s but emailed Todd's and asked to have 8s sent instead when I saw the posting about them running a size large. They fit just about perfect, and the leather smells great! =P~

cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Irish- mine are marked size 8 but feel like between an 8.5 and a 9. They're roomy enough for me to wear hiking socks, but not too roomy when I'm wearing normal weight socks.
irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

cm289 wrote:Irish- mine are marked size 8 but feel like between an 8.5 and a 9. They're roomy enough for me to wear hiking socks, but not too roomy when I'm wearing normal weight socks.
Well if they seem to be running a little large than advertised, then that's a bit of a relief. I just don't want them to be smaller. Lol. Thanks for the info, dude!
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

Boots have cleared customs at 4:04 am today.
irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

Thems is some good lookin footwear you've got on! Can't wait for my own!
The0w3n5
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by The0w3n5 »

I presume if yours have cleared customs than so have mine. Perhaps a delivery tomorrow?!?!? =P~
Indiana Dymond wrote:Boots have cleared customs at 4:04 am today.
irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

The0w3n5 wrote:I presume if yours have cleared customs than so have mine. Perhaps a delivery tomorrow?!?!? =P~
Indiana Dymond wrote:Boots have cleared customs at 4:04 am today.
Mine too! =P~ =P~ =P~
sofianeomari
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by sofianeomari »

Here is mine ! :D
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sofianeoma ... 422827730/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

They are looking QUITE nice! :tup:

It'll be interesting to hear owners of both these and Aldens opinions of these as they break in...
irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

Has anybody in the UK received their boots yet?
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

My tracking info says the post office now has them. They are sending me a nice letter asking me to pay for my property.

The letter will probably be with me tomorrow,I can pay online.Then they should be with me on monday.
irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

Indiana Dymond wrote:My tracking info says the post office now has them. They are sending me a nice letter asking me to pay for my property.

The letter will probably be with me tomorrow,I can pay online.Then they should be with me on monday.
Mine just still stating "Custom Clearance" but that was on July 3rd. I haven't heard anything else since then. My nerves are wrecked, I WANT MY BOOTS!!!! LOL.
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

There's no worse feeling on earth than a gearhead being denied his fix!
irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

IndyBrit wrote:There's no worse feeling on earth than a gearhead being denied his fix!
I heard that! It's horrible!
bish
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Todd's new boots SHIPPING NOW!!!! !!NEW OFFICIAL PICS!!

Post by bish »

How are the lace hooks? Saw on a reviews on Todd's website that one person had a hook bend and break right away, so just curious if that was a fluke or are they made from weak metal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UkulelePinoy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by UkulelePinoy »

How are the lace hooks?
No problem so far. I'm wearing mine at the office right now (although, I have a desk-job, not a job that has me on my feet most of the day).
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

The hooks seem a little weak to me- I could see them breaking if you're not careful when tightening your laces. They're also sharp- my laces are a little frayed already.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

bish wrote:How are the lace hooks? Saw on a reviews on Todd's website that one person had a hook bend and break right away, so just curious if that was a fluke or are they made from weak metal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is most likely a review from the older, cheaper boots.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

my new Outdoorsmans shoes arrived the other day and they fit great! the leather is very sturdy and will last a very long time, aswell as the stitching, the construction is very well done, especially the soles, they're made to last! I did however have a hook snap off while working yesterday, it seems the metal used for the hooks are a cheap pot metal that bends easily and snaps if you try to bend it back to shape, so be warned about that. Other than that, the shoes are flawless!!
Nah....But if people are aware of the problem I suspect it can be avoided....The Alden's I have have hooks that work, but even then I'd not choose to pull and play with them for long, just because...

Considering all the work done by Todd to get the shoes cheaper than Aldens, having slightly lower grade metal on the clips probably makes a fair bit of sense...It's one of those places where "strength" isn't really essential..

Just don't pull on them hard maybe?