Indy 4 Gear (PREDICTIONS FROM 2003!)...

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

From what I understand, it's either or... you either wear suspenders or a belt. Unless you have a gun belt, then I get all confused.
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

Renderking Fisk wrote:From what I understand, it's either or... you either wear suspenders or a belt. Unless you have a gun belt, then I get all confused.
You are 100% correct. Also, when wearing a single breasted suit (as in LC), you may wear either suspenders (braces) or a belt. However, when wearing a double breasted suit (as in Raider's) you should wear suspenders, never a belt.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Thanks I was always a bit unsure on those points. Dont want to make a faux pas some time.

Ken
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Indiana Ken wrote:Thanks I was always a bit unsure on those points. Dont want to make a faux pas some time.

Ken
What else are friends for? Besides making fun of?
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

I'll agree on the no suspenders AND a belt rule; that's called paranoia! 8-[ But as for when to wear suspenders or a belt, the only thing I don't like is a belt with a waistcoat (vest). Some men did this, especially in the fifties, but it's not to my liking.

As for a belt with a double breasted suit, I don't mind that too much (I personally love suspsenders) but this wasn't uncommon, just watch Sam Spade in The Maltese Falcon.

And... as RF said, to muddle things up, it also wasn't uncommon to wear a belt for utility purposes while wearing suspenders to hold up your pants. This was especially prevelant around the First World War.

In closing, I don't think suspenders are common enough today... they look sharp and classic. The only problem is... when wearing too much brown/khaki and even with a fedora, you can pull a lot of farmer comments... :roll:

Kind regards,
Indy
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

I haven't seen documentation either way. Usually it's one or the other. From what I have observed, a good pair of suspenders will hold your pants in place just as good as any belt. Maybe a little better.

If I find more information, I will let you know.

Pyro.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Hunting knife for one (I know it's been mentioned) and it would be cool if Indy had a bracer like Rick O'Connell does (only for use in hot environments where he doesn't use his jacket) His Mystery of the Blues gear is cool too. -IJ
Nemo1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nemo1 »

Mutually exclusive!!
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

I like the 1911 Colt idea...but he could still have his Browning Hi-Power! Hey, Michaelson!...I know we discussed this before, but what if Indy had a S&W 1950 Target Model with the barrel cut back to 4"? Sort of an "updated" H.E. in .45....what do you think?

As for a hunting/belt knife...how about a WW2 surplus Ka-Bar (USN Fighting Knife Mk2)...now THAT would be classic!
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

[/quote]

It's tragic. LC was a nightmare.
I'm telling you, at the rate they're going ( First Children sidekicks, then his poppa and turning Brody into a bumbling idiot ) we're gonna see a a cute CG chimpanzee secret agent accompanying Indy along on his adventures. :?

-Rabittooth[/quote]

...or a Gungan. :roll:
Dr. Nebraska S.

Re: Indy 4 Gear...

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

PLEASE NOTE: This is a thread from 2003, predicting gear for the 4th Indiana Jones Movie, 5 years before the release of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. How did these predictions turn out?

I happened to find this old thread from 2003 during some searches, and thought it might be fun to resurrect it just to point out whose predictions were correct. Some of them are quite surprising!
Indy Magnoli wrote:...Also I'd like to see a backpack being used.

I also hope to see the grey fedora back, or a suitier alternate to the classic brown. I doubt we'll see this as the Hat has become the trademark.

What else???

Kind regards,
Indy
Magnoli is right on two major pieces of gear: a backpack, and the return of the gray fedora! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Indiana Texas-girl wrote:Think he'll have a Harley he'll be jetting around on? varoom varoom...okay it's early in the morning.
Also correct--well, it was Mutt's, but Indy rode it, too. :clap:
Rabittooth wrote:I fear "Son of Indy" or other such drivel. :? ...

...we're gonna see a a cute CG chimpanzee secret agent accompanying Indy along on his adventures.
Also fairly close... :Plymouth:

Maybe I missed a few, but those were some pretty accurate predictions. Well done!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska S.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Good thread to revive.

Noticed this prediction that came true.
agent5 wrote: Another important factor is the hat. I hope they go back to Raiders again for the same type of block with the tall, straight sides. Perfect.
Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Steve and Marc are to thank for that. I remember trying to reverse engineer the hat block that would give us the correct shape. We knew the block had to be a certain height but also where the curve started on the block. If it was too low the sides would taper. Too short and you couldn't get the crease to look correctly.

In my garage I still have a few bondo blocks where we would buy hat blocks on ebay, cover them with bondo and then try to make them into the correct shape by sanding them down.

My how times have changed.

Pyro
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re:

Post by backstagejack »

Indy Magnoli wrote:I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but what sort of gear additions or modifications would you like to see in the next film?

I'd like to see more cold-weather gear as in Mystery of the Blues (with Indy sporting a beard, of course). This would be perfect as a intro mini-adventure. Also I'd like to see a backpack being used.

I also hope to see the grey fedora back, or a suitier alternate to the classic brown. I doubt we'll see this as the Hat has become the trademark.

What else???

Kind regards,
Indy
I agree on the cold weather gear. I know that one of the "staples" of Indy is that he's in a jungle or a desert. But I'd love to see a movie where he's in the cold for a bit of it........or maybe in an area that has both elements...he's in the cold mountains at one point of the dventure but it's plausible for him to find a hot arid area close by.......

Ken wrote:Here is a question on clothing etiquette which someone here might know the answer - when wearing suspenders (or braces as I would call them) with a suit, can you still wear a belt with your trousers or are they mutually exclusive?

Ken

aside from adventure gear, from what I've heard wearing a belt with suspenders with a suit, etc...is a no no. Also, when wearing a vest, you do not wear a belt either
Dr. Nebraska S.

Re: Re:

backstagejack wrote:
Indy Magnoli wrote:I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but what sort of gear additions or modifications would you like to see in the next film?

I'd like to see more cold-weather gear as in Mystery of the Blues (with Indy sporting a beard, of course). This would be perfect as a intro mini-adventure. Also I'd like to see a backpack being used.

What else???

Kind regards,
Indy
I agree on the cold weather gear. I know that one of the "staples" of Indy is that he's in a jungle or a desert. But I'd love to see a movie where he's in the cold for a bit of it........or maybe in an area that has both elements...he's in the cold mountains at one point of the dventure but it's plausible for him to find a hot arid area close by.......

Ken wrote:Here is a question on clothing etiquette which someone here might know the answer - when wearing suspenders (or braces as I would call them) with a suit, can you still wear a belt with your trousers or are they mutually exclusive?

Ken

aside from adventure gear, from what I've heard wearing a belt with suspenders with a suit, etc...is a no no. Also, when wearing a vest, you do not wear a belt either
You do of course realize that part of the discussion was from nearly a decade ago... ;)
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I've always been taught not to wear a belt if you're going to wear suspenders... but that's just me.

:TOH:

Kyle
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Believe it or not, for some reason in the town I live there's actually a law in the books that it's illegal to wear suspenders and a belt at the same time. Don't know why, and it's just left on the books as a nod to the past and a good chuckle, but something must have happened that made them put it in the law books in the first place. :-k

Anyway, like NES says, we're beating a old dead horse that expired almost almost 10 years ago. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Michaelson wrote: Anyway, like NES says, we're beating a old dead horse that expired almost almost 10 years ago. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Must've been a bad horse :lol:

Kyle
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Not much more you can do to a dried up skeleton like that. :-k ;)
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

Not much more you can do to a dried up skeleton like that. :-k ;)
Or look at it through a crystal skull... :CR:
Dr. Nebraska S.

Re: Indy 4 Gear (PREDICTIONS FROM 2003!)...

Okay, I've updated the title and made a note above in large bold print above to demonstrate this thread had been revived to see how these predictions for the 4th Indiana Jones movie turned out, from 5 years before Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was released. Did I miss any other predictions in here?

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska S.
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Re:

Post by Indiana Bond »

Magnum wrote:Definitely a Thompson MIA1. I'd also like to see a Colt 1911 A1 in use.
Well Indy didn't use them but the Russians disguised as American soldiers did! Indy did handle a M1 carbine though.

Rabittooth wrote: I'm actually afraid of what's going to be next. I fear "Son of Indy" or other such drivel. :?
Your fears came true!!

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:What about black gear? Black fedora, black jacket, black boots, denim jeans...ala Fonzie. Just kidding, y'all!
This is a pretty accurate discription of Mutt less the fedora.

Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

NES wrote:
Indy Magnoli wrote:...Also I'd like to see a backpack being used.
Magnoli is right on two major pieces of gear: a backpack, and the return of the gray fedora! :clap: :clap: :clap:
What's really cool is that when I made this "prediction", I had in mind my own Swiss army surplus bag, which I've carried around since '99:

Pretty close to what they ended up using. :TOH: