New to the whipcrackin' thing

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

New to the whipcrackin' thing

Post by PsychicsAndSwords »

So, I'll try not to bore you all with too many details in the saga of my starting whipcracking. But, I tried it out a few years back with a cheap 8-plait cowhide whip that I thought would make a good beater/learning whip. Man, was I wrong. I could hardly get the thing to crack at all.

Anyway, I've been wanting to get a decent kangaroo 12-plaiter to try out for a while now, but it didn't work out with the funding until early this year, when I happened to see a nice 6 footer of riku's in the Bazaar for a great price. So, I bought it... and then almost had to sell it again due to temporary cashflow problems. But, that all got worked out and then... well, for a long time my free time hasn't coincided with any remotely decent weather. ](*,)

But! Today, due to a holiday-related scheduling thing at work, I had the day off and the weather was gorgeous. I decided it would be a great day to go do some juggling and try out my whip. And...

HOLY COW WHIPCRACKING IS FUN, WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME IT WAS SO MUCH FUN????

Ahem.

Anyway. This whip is lovely and cracks so easily it's not even funny. Also, it was quite a pleasure to deal with riku, so there's that. But anyway, yeah, I think I'm going to have to force some more whipcracking time into my schedule from now on. (Also, I may be having to save for a 8 or 10 footer...)

Oh, and this is just a quick cameraphone pic but I don't want any of this :WLWOP: going on, so:
riku1914
Vendor

Re: New to the whipcrackin' thing

Post by riku1914 »

The whip is looking good! I'm glad you were able to start using it, and yes it is addicting! It's breaking in nicely, and thanks for the compliements on it. I always appreciate those greatly.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Heck yeah it's addicting! Enjoy! Good luck keeping peace with the neighbors.

:whip:

Weston
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Welcome to the wide world of whips! :whip:
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by PsychicsAndSwords »

Weston wrote:Heck yeah it's addicting! Enjoy! Good luck keeping peace with the neighbors.

Weston
Luckily (?) I have loud neighbors. I doubt anyone will even hear me over the sounds of blasting music, engines being repeatedly revved for an hour straight several times a day (don't ask me) or kids driving an unmuffled riding lawn mower up and down the street all day and all evening (don't ask me on that one, either).
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

PsychicsAndSwords wrote:
Weston wrote:Heck yeah it's addicting! Enjoy! Good luck keeping peace with the neighbors.

Weston
Luckily (?) I have loud neighbors. I doubt anyone will even hear me over the sounds of blasting music, engines being repeatedly revved for an hour straight several times a day (don't ask me) or kids driving an unmuffled riding lawn mower up and down the street all day and all evening (don't ask me on that one, either).
Welcome, my friend! Please crack in good health!

Daren