Temple Of Doom Bashes. Let's end the bash debate.

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

Ok, so I'm looking into getting a TOD style fedora and from what people have said and from what I have seen (temple being the most watched film for me) this film has the most opinions about the fedora. First the crown isn't straight like the raiders crown, and when we first see the fedora in the film on t he plane to me the brim looks shorter and the side are slightly turned...but this is only the beginning. A lot can be said between hatters and fans which is great! I almost like the drama this fedora has caused because its interesting. It's hard for me to upload pics from the film but how many differences are there in one film? I know of the difference in hatters and felt difference, and bash style from the plane to the village to the bridge, speaking of the bridge I always thought it was weird that Indy had what seemed like a dent in the side near the back which I always wondered why they didn't correct it during filming unless they wanted it to look real seeing how Indy got knocked around a lot and the fedora would take abuse....but anyway I'm asking for help trying to pick a bash out of this film. I hope this is fun to talk about and have a friendly debate. Thanks again guys!
Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

Bridge bash. Definitely bridge bash. :)
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Temple Of Doom Bashes. Let's end the bash debate.

Post by Aragorn658 »

I'm actually watching Temple as we speak and I think the fedora stays the same after Indy wakes up from the "black sleep" but in some shots it seems it has a slight cowboy curl on the sides. Its also noted that i think the hat takes the most abuse, I mean look at the ribbon at the end in the village that is one BEAT'N up hat. But I'm still wondering if the brim and crown are smaller compared to raiders. I think they are and thats why if I get a temple fedora I can have two hats in one maybe i'll i would have to do is curl the sides and BANG LC fedora.
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

really only two comments all day or one really i should say. i'm shocked and pumped for this topic. oh well.
Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

Sorry A, :-s maybe everyone is out watching Avengers or maybe.....ToD! :lol:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Yeah, I don't think the TOD hat is nearly as tapered as it gets a reputation for. I think most would say go for a bridge style bash.

There's solid information here about the hat/bash from the main IG site. http://www.indygear.com/igfedora.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

BRIDGE LID all the way !

i myself am also a little partial to the plane without pilot scene...

by the way : thanx Tundraider for the pic with Mr Ford and Short Round. (that one i didn't have).
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

if you really watch this movie carefully you see at least in my eyes 3 or more fedoras floating around.
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

Yes Micheal thanks for the great pic, I didn't know it!

Btw, I really love the Doom fedora, besides in the movie there are a couple of scenes of really terrible /\ hats... :)

Sent from my iPhone
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

I always wondered if the hat in the pilot's seat scene was just more tapered due to the fact that Willie had just grabbed it by the crown to fan Indy and wake him up. If it was all one take that is.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I always liked how his hat looks when they're sat around the camp fire in the jungle.
http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php? ... ts/166.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php? ... ts/171.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php? ... ts/173.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

whiskyman wrote:I always liked how his hat looks when they're sat around the camp fire in the jungle.
http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php? ... ts/166.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php? ... ts/171.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php? ... ts/173.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
i second that too.

hmmm quite a few rather nice versions in that flick, come to think of it.
but bridge... bridge still is the winner in my eye
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Ian wrote:I always wondered if the hat in the pilot's seat scene was just more tapered due to the fact that Willie had just grabbed it by the crown to fan Indy and wake him up. If it was all one take that is.
I think that's right on the money. That, and camera angle. I've always thought that the cockpit hat was the same one he's wearing in the mine cart chase and bridge climb scenes. The cowboy swoop in the brim is pretty distinct.

Weston
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

Id like to hear what penman and garrison say about this. Penmans temple looks dead on for a over all fedora. He told me the swoop in the back is the most important. I'm torn between the camp scene and the bridge. Well the bridge scene without the exrta dent in the back.
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by PsychicsAndSwords »

The ToD hat definitely varies like crazy. I have a Penman ToD, I asked for a bridge scene bash. I love the dang thing, it's becoming my favorite hat (although that's partially because the height/bash look better on me than my other hats...)
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

The hat in the last photo of the campfire scene looks very close to the plane hat..The sides slope in the same way... The angle in the photo is a touch off, but I'd say they're the same hat...

Which would add a little to the idea that the slope seen in that scene was due (partially at least) to the way Willie handled it, as well as the angles it was shot from...

Interesting stuff...It's clear there's another hat for the bridge scene...More rounded, "puffed" a little...Lovely one that...But yeah, the hat one? Hmmmmm...Not really so much...For me at least.. :TOH:
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

PsychicsAndSwords wrote:The ToD hat definitely varies like crazy. I have a Penman ToD, I asked for a bridge scene bash. I love the dang thing, it's becoming my favorite hat (although that's partially because the height/bash look better on me than my other hats...)

whoa...have any pics man i'm DYING to see it. John has the bash I like with the temple fedora. garrsion is making me a temple and i cant decide on a bash
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

i'd like to see a penman temple bash and id go with that one, it looks the bridge with a very small difference. And if you look at the temple fedora i LOVE how dirty and worn the ribbon is, has anyone distressed their fedora ribbon or aged it? I just like that this fedora seems real like it followed Indiana to #### and back.

I really love this ribbon
http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php? ... ts/395.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

what scene is this, outtake...deleted scene...or just set shot?
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=indiana+ ... ,s:83,i:18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

John has the hats all up on his website...

The Temple hat has several photos from several angles too...I'd start there perhaps?

Regards..
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Aragorn658 wrote:
PsychicsAndSwords wrote:The ToD hat definitely varies like crazy. I have a Penman ToD, I asked for a bridge scene bash. I love the dang thing, it's becoming my favorite hat (although that's partially because the height/bash look better on me than my other hats...)

whoa...have any pics man i'm DYING to see it. John has the bash I like with the temple fedora. garrsion is making me a temple and i cant decide on a bash
Yeah, here's a few I snapped a month or two ago, when I was messing around with a new remote for my camera.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... emple1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... emple4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... emple3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... emple2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

fifthchamber wrote:John has the hats all up on his website...

The Temple hat has several photos from several angles too...I'd start there perhaps?

Regards..
oh totally but i wanted to see someone actually wearing it. Psychic that's my lid man! That bash is really great!
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Ah, got ya...Yeah, they do change some for that....

Psychic, agreed...Great photos! (Although a little hard to see the real shape due to the black backing...Maybe it's my screen though! I'm in the sun here at work...)

Regards! :TOH:
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Very fine indeed! That is a great fedora!

Weston
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

fifthchamber wrote:Ah, got ya...Yeah, they do change some for that....

Psychic, agreed...Great photos! (Although a little hard to see the real shape due to the black backing...Maybe it's my screen though! I'm in the sun here at work...)

Regards! :TOH:
I tried snapping a couple of quick front-on pics (since I didn't get any before) with a somewhat lighter background (not wearing it, though):
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... mple01.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... mple02.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I rather love the look of that hat....

Agreed...That Temple of Doom hat works...In some scenes it looks off, but that hat? Not at all....Stunning work, and great detail.....Perhaps a more "user friendly" Indiana Jones hat...Since the others tend to be rather more straight and forceful....The Temple is a little more subtle...Understated but classy...

I like... :TOH:
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

Guess im replying to an old thread, but oh well,better late then never. I know there is always that controversy around TOD and its hat..I for one think its fine. Sure in some scenes it looks more tapered but I never noticed that until I was told to look at it..:)

ALSO just an observation here...I notice people make the comment about "in this scene"..."in this scene"..."in this scene"...Do most of you feel he changes his hat every scene and every take? I honestly think its far far less then that. Sure they make probably 20 hats for each movie, but I dont see them using that many different ones on Harrison Ford. I think its a different camera angle,lighting, being taken off and put on several times..ect.
kiltie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by kiltie »

There is nothing wrong with the "cockpit" hat. They show an over-the-shoulder shot a couple of times, and the hat has a big dent in the two or ten o'clock position ( I forget which ), and it's pulling the sides in from the front view. Watch the scene real quick: it's not even a "blink and you'll miss it" kind of thing. There are a couple of lingering examples.
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

"bash"
*twitch*