Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Post by Oildale Jones »

Hmm. Maybe I'll get some additional use out of my boot calf stretcher after all. :)
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

If there is enough folded leather inside the cuff, you can make the sleeves longer maybe by one inch.
Great makeover :clap: !
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

tomek9210 wrote:If there is enough folded leather inside the cuff, you can make the sleeves longer maybe by one inch.
Great makeover :clap: !
I think I need to do the reverse on mine because of my short arms. Any suggestions on how to press the cuff's edge when shortening (or in some cases, lengthening) the sleeve?
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

there is enough leather on mine but for now I am going to keep them as they are. With wear, the sleeves will lax down a bit. I will try to post some gear shots in a but..
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

ReturningSon wrote:
Fit pics

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... C05485.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... C05484.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That jacket is way too small on you. The Raiders jacket is much more baggy.

Here's some screen shots showing how it fits on Ford.

http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php? ... ns/r95.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php? ... ns/r82.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

I dont think so...

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... C05504.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... C05502.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, remember that I have the side straps pulled all the way in...Only the sleeves are slim.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

That zipped-up pic is reminder of the Raven Bar fight-scene! That´s what it´s suppose to look. :clap: \:D/
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

yes, Marq. Out of all the jackets i've handled, this (second to the Nowak) is one of the best Raven's Bar jackets. The Nowak takes the cake because the leather is denser.
theman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by theman »

Nice comparo RSun... and nice Todd's, I had one of that vintage as well.
I will say I do think Todd's rectangular sliders are actually more accurate once buffed up a bit from their plasticy blacked finish though... Tony's are a nicer quality piece, but just not quite SA. Nowak's won't poke through your seats either by accident, so they do have that advantage also. ;)
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

Im 6ft about 175 lbs what would you guys recommend? I want to have just enough room for the motb but still have a great fit for normal wear
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Well, my 2008 Todds is a Medium and I wear a solid 38R. Remember, in my pics, the tabs are cinched all the way. The fit seems tighter in the shoulder/bicep area and looser towards the waist. (Btw, Im 5'10, 165) so, if Modern Todds are sized anything like mine, you may want a large. Just depends on how fitted you want to go.

Thanks for the compliments Dan! I do plan on sanding the sliders eventually.
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

Thank you much sir! I may have to break down and have my wife measure me, but I noticed a few said that the leather does stretch a bit after wearing, but since summer is on its way I didnt know if i should order one, but if I did I guess i could wear while doing yard work to break it in haha
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

And to add to my latter,the leather looks so thin almost like plastic,nothing like my Wested jacket.That´s a jacket from the 2008 run,I´d really like to know is the current run of jackets the same,at all,in way,near... :x ](*,) :-s :o :shock: :? =P~ #-o :clap: :whip: :notworthy: (and so on)
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

MARQ wrote:And to add to my latter,the leather looks so thin almost like plastic,nothing like my Wested jacket.That´s a jacket from the 2008 run,I´d really like to know is the current run of jackets the same,at all,in way,near... :x ](*,) :-s :o :shock: :? =P~ #-o :clap: :whip: :notworthy: (and so on)
A lot of people here said the new batch is thicker than the old one. I'm pretty sure mine is from the new batch.

Since this is my first leather jacket and I don't have any other leather jacket to compare it to (except for a very old lambskin leather vest which is probably as old as me - it's my mom's), I cannot really give an accurate description.

When I first laid my hands on the Todd's, it was soft... spongy soft. My mom's 30yr old (or more) lambskin vest (which still looks great, by the way) is thin and not at all spongy. I'd have to describe it as a thin, "solid" leather for lack of a better word. There are parts of the jacket that are really stretchy and soft... this kinda troubled me as it might be a possible weak point that could easily tear.

After my multiple attempts at shrinking the sleeves by wetting the jacket, the spongy-feel of the leather has disappeared except for some places which didn't receive that much water. I'm guessing the leather fibers made a tighter bond with the water treatment. Also, the water treatment pretty much removed the initial sheen of the jacket (although I did wipe it with alcohol before, but the water treatment seems to have completely removed that shiny finish).
strikeomen
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by strikeomen »

I am thinking of getting this jacket but I have no idea what size to get. I am a 38/39 inch chest and I am 6ft. I am leaning towards a large but not too sure. What do you guys recommend?
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

Wow, ReturningSon! I'm guessing that's the jacket you got from me...amazing distressing job! I'm jealous!
Mine looks good (the one I kept but purchased at the same time), but even with me wearing it since 2008, I don't know if it looks that awesomely broken in.
Very very nice work!
By the way, my sleeves shrunk just as much, and have since relaxed a fair amoun and seem pretty close to how they were pre-soaking. I can't say for sure how long it took - maybe a year.
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Thanks Havershaw! I really wouldnt call it a "distressing job" as no chemical (alchohol, acetone or otherwise) touched the jacket besides the pecards. Just water. Tony told me all sorts of "tricks" to transform as well as care for leathers. He told me that there are natural oils in your hands that can react with the "living" leather of the jacket and that alone is what should be put onto a jacket. I probably didnt even need to put pecards because even though it was stiff, after wearing this everyday, the leather has softened out even more. For the price, the Tods just cant be beat. Now all tods needs to do is put out jackets with silver hardware (zips and snaps) as well as enlargen the sleeve circumference and this baby will be ready to outrun some hovitos! :TOH:
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

do the jackets still have the fall off the shoulders look?
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

I would imagine so... Its like the armholes are cut higher and foreword. Thats what makes the jacket shrug backwards..
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Here's how the jacket looks on me before I shortened the sleeves a bit.

If I make a fist, my entire hand would disappear inside the sleeves. I just unfolded the cuffs and made a new fold to shorten them as all my attempts at shrinking the sleeves failed.
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Yeah. glad you shortened those sleeves but HOW DID YOU DISTRESS THAT JACKET? I love the way it looks. Distressed, but subtle and not over the top. :D :TOH:
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

ReturningSon wrote:Yeah. glad you shortened those sleeves but HOW DID YOU DISTRESS THAT JACKET? I love the way it looks. Distressed, but subtle and not over the top. :D :TOH:
Rubbing alcohol and 1000grit sandpaper while I was wearing it...

Also, my T-shirt is similar to Mutt's T-shirt... Had this before the movie came out. It's a little darker as I don't usually wear it.
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

Nice Fenris, looks great.
fenris wrote:Here's how the jacket looks on me before I shortened the sleeves a bit.

If I make a fist, my entire hand would disappear inside the sleeves. I just unfolded the cuffs and made a new fold to shorten them as all my attempts at shrinking the sleeves failed.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Finally, I cornered the wife for some quick shots with my new/old Todd's Standard. I am very, very happy. And when I'm back down to my fighting weight, I'll be even happier.

Since the last picture, I've conditioned it once with Obenauf's and twice with Lexol.

Also, what's up with my crown?
Last edited by Oildale Jones on Fri May 04, 2012 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

IMO, the Todd's Std. from 2008 completely dead centers the look! It is just outstanding! ;) :tup:
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Texan Scott wrote:IMO, the Todd's Std. from 2008 completely dead centers the look! It is just outstanding! ;) :tup:
What exactly are the differences between the old batch and the new batch? Pattern? Leather?

As most have stated, the new batch is thicker. Is it that significantly thicker? If so, I want the old batch... Hehehe. Too hot over here for a "thick" (well, as long as I'm in a mall it's ok. But outdoors??? No way!) jacket.
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

A thicker leather may be more SA (yes, there is a whole debate going on right now in other threads) but I do think Todds did revise their pattern (although I am not entirely sure).

I LOVE my 08 Tods. I think after the water treatment, the texture is amazingly similiar to Nowak's MRK 2 Smoother shrunken lamb (which I am still looking for :lol: ) but the leather is extremely lightweight. Lighter than the film counterpart, IMO.

As for general wear, its perfect for Sunny SoCali where its always 75 Degrees and No rain ;) :TOH:
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

I envy you guys... Here it's a blistering 84!!! The only reason I was able to wear the jacket was because I watched The Avengers movie. Movie theaters here keep the A/C really cold.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Somehow, Marco, I think you will be making trips to the movies more frequently...? :-k
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Texan Scott wrote:Somehow, Marco, I think you will be making trips to the movies more frequently...? :-k
Most probably... I've even made a list of upcoming movies I want to see. Hahaha!

Funny thing was, while watching Avengers, I completely forgot about the jacket's handwarmers. My hands were getting cold so I kept crossing my arms to sandwich my hands between my body and arms. Only now (really, just now!) do I realize that I could have used the jacket's handwarmers.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Still waiting for good images about the current run of Todd Jacket =P~ btw,what size should I order when I´m 44" round the chest :-k
:whip: anybody... :notworthy:
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

MARQ wrote:Still waiting for good images about the current run of Todd Jacket =P~ btw,what size should I order when I´m 44" round the chest :-k
:whip: anybody... :notworthy:
I'm a 38" and on Todd's site it was equal to a medium so that's what I ordered. Seems the fit is okay and pretty much spot on. I don't feel that it's too tight or too loose, just right.
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

me in my Todds Bantu Wind.

(yeah, I dunno why I go to conventions either :[ )
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

You mean there's a jacket in that pic???

I... ummmm... was... ummmm... looking somewhere else. :lol:
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

I've never been an 'over-the-top' con or geek-y person...but the first time I met a slave leia....well...lets just say I didnt go home alone. :D
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Heck of a nice jacket there Bish,...one seems to find "equal-minded" people in conventions,don´t you.... ;) :TOH: Does anybody have the sizechart/dimensions for ´08 Todd´s jackets? Like to see it....
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

The fit is really great! Did it shrink or get use to your fit after time?

ajocampo wrote:some quick snaps of my todd's standard
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

ajocampo wrote:some quick snaps of my todd's standard
Just noticed something... is the front part of the brim of your hat wet?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...do-me-a-favor, you will thank me later... :P ...don't let go of your Todd's Std.

....you will regret it later! :? :(
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Texan Scott wrote:...do-me-a-favor, you will thank me later... :P ...don't let go of your Todd's Std.

....you will regret it later! :? :(
Someone here wants to let their Todd's go? :shock:
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Vacation days are, at times, a dangerous thing for me.

Today, I decided to give one of my jackets a shower treatment. It's currently tumbling in a no heat dryer, following its quick spin cycle in the washer.

Having been getting into leatherworking, I had a moment of sanity-questioning when I saw dye running down the white shower floor.

Oh well, I'm committed to this COA now. Still, I feel a lot less like the chicken and more like the pig on this one:

Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Follow up:

Success!

Here's a preview:

Link to the full details and gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28642132@N ... 237256746/
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Niiiiice.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Thanks Oildale!

I was really apprehensive about 10 minutes into the whole process, but as the day went on, I got more and more pleased with the results.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Tundra: It wears great!

It's been a slightly busy day, but I may be able to convince my in-house photographer to get a couple shots of me wearing it before it gets dark.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

What vintage is your jacket?

(Never mind. I followed the link. What's your secret for such pronounced wrinkles?)
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

I believe it's from early 2009. (For those who may not follow the links.)

All I did was wear it, while it was damp, and went about the house doing normal stuff. Mostly, I used the computer, ate lunch, went outside for a bit, that kind of thing. I was more concerned about them becoming too short, so I really didn't push them up to wrinkle them but maybe once or twice on each arm.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Well, after a very very very long wait...my NEW todd's jacket is arriving today. Sold my old one when the BW came out, and now have the BW retired to the Indy Costume display stand.

It will be nice to have a jacket again, and hopefully it proves to be all that everyone says the new jacket pattern is. [-o< [-o< [-o<
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

RaiderBash one word.. :shock: :o PICS!! [-o<
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...from page 3, I'm amazed at Moutaineer and Indy Vinkman's jackets. IV's looks like custom leather, but was apparently from the first run.