A quarter century...

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

A quarter century...

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Just wanting to share a proud moment--- Today, April 10th, marks 25 years to the day that I received my very first bullwhip... It was a 12' cowhide whip from a now-long-gone place called 'Cattle Baron Leather Company'.... (Michaelson, I know you remember them!)

I spent that entire summer flaying myself to a welted pulp teaching myself how to crack the darn thing... A 12-foot whip is NOT a starter model!!!

It's 25 years later, the transiton on that whip broke long ago, and it's been mostly retired since... i'll probably get it out this week to give it a good crack or two for old time's sake. I've learned so very much more in the years that have passed, a good portion of it from the great people on this forum....Thank you. I'm making all my own whips these days, something that started because I couldn't afford to buy more...And has developed from a love of the hobby. Once again, i've learned so much from you guys... You're the best.

Here's to another 25!
riku1914
Vendor

Re: A quarter century...

Post by riku1914 »

Congrats to being in this hobby for so long :D

This may sound crazy, but have you thought about binding the outside of that whip's transition to reinforce it? I figure you would

never do that since it has some sentimental value, but I thought I'd mention that in case you were interested in restoring it.

Any chance we could get pictures of that whip?
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

When I was a very young lad, I saved up alot of odd job monies and ordered a whip from that company.....and months later I recieved a letter that they had gone bankrupt...and my money was gone!
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

Gorak wrote:When I was a very young lad, I saved up alot of odd job monies and ordered a whip from that company.....and months later I recieved a letter that they had gone bankrupt...and my money was gone!
Unfortunately, that still happens nowadays.

Pyramidblaster, I still have my first bullwhip, albeit undone. I understand your feeling. I'd love to have that one still in one piece as you do yours. Congrats!

Aldo.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

At one point, i had put a stitched leather collar on it, but lately, after all the practice i've had...I'll probably replace it with a wide ring knot of some type... It was a good whip for what i paid, guess in the long run....I ended up beating IT to death before it beat ME to death.....

And yes, I think some pictures are in order, i'll have to take some tonight after a fresh coat of Pecard's.... One day, i'll have to dig up the catalog for that place, it was a fun read, if nothing else...
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Congrats on 25 years of whipping! :whip:

Boy, would that be strange out of context. :[

It's sort of strange in context. :CR:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

Wow Pyramid Blaster, congrats. I also bought a whip from Cattle Baron around 1984. I too beat it to death and ended up taking it apart to see what was inside. I believe it had a solid leather core and a bolster. I lost track of it ages ago, so I would really love to see pics of yours.

Regards
IndianaBravo
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

PyramidBlaster wrote:At one point, i had put a stitched leather collar on it, but lately, after all the practice i've had...I'll probably replace it with a wide ring knot of some type... It was a good whip for what i paid, guess in the long run....I ended up beating IT to death before it beat ME to death.....

And yes, I think some pictures are in order, i'll have to take some tonight after a fresh coat of Pecard's.... One day, i'll have to dig up the catalog for that place, it was a fun read, if nothing else...
Maybe do some binding in the transition then cover it with a french grapevine knot. I love that knot!
DJN
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by DJN »

Your post brought back memories...

You mean something like this? ;)

I too bought this whip from The Cattle Baron Leather Co. around 1984 -- The Adventurers Bullwhip complete with belt holder.

While it wasn't my first bullwhip -- I already had a few wood swivel handle whips -- but it was the first one that "looked" like Indy's bullwhip.

Best I could do at the time -- no internet or fan groups to track info down back in those days. It wasn't till a couple years later I would meet a Hollywood stuntman and "Stunt Show" performer who mentioned the name David Morgan...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

OH yes. What's left of my 10 foot cowhide by them is hanging on display on my wall, complete with the same whip holder. I purchased mine back in the mid 80's.

Regards! Michaelson
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

Wow DJM that sure brings back memories, thanks for posting. This was my first real whip that I ordered from an ad in Guns and Ammo magazine. I remember being beffudled by the lack of a distinction as to where the handle ended and the thong began, the straight herringbone all the way through. It was sorta like a snakewhip, with an incredibly stiff transition. Also the flap at the end to connect the cracker seemed very different from what I had seen on the screen.

Cheers

IndianaBravo